Stolen Dance 2/2

Myungyeol 50 Songfic Challenge

continued.

Upon arrival in his hometown, Sungyeol was already glowing with spirit. He lead Myungsoo down the quiet streets, pointing at small shops and buildings as he chatted about them enthusiastically.

"That place has the best coconut bread you'll ever taste, we have to get some while we're in town. And my friend lives in that apartment, he owns a fat cat. His mom always told him to put it on the streets, but he's too fond of it. Oh, and over there is where my family buys all the fish for our restaurant, my dad is friends with the owner." Sungyeol stopped suddenly, grabbing Myungsoo's arm. "Hey, you're not nervous about meeting my family, are you?"

"What?"

"You're spacing out."

"I mean, how could I not be nervous?"

"You have nothing to worry about. I'm sure they're much more nervous about meeting you, considering the fact that me bringing home a friend from school most likely means that friend is some kind of noble. I just didn't mention that you're practically the prince."

"Uhm, about me being the Chairman's son and all, let's keep that a secret. I don't want to freak anybody out."

"They'd probably be more scared of me screwing up than your position itself. Just calm down, okay? My brother will make it his personal mission to tell you everything embarrassing about me. My mom will like you more than she likes me. My dad will invite you to help out with restaurant prep, and if you're good at it, he'll offer you a job."

"And if I'm bad at it?"

"He'll say that it's cut out for 'us commoners' and thank you for the help. Simple as that. Don't worry about a thing, got it?"

Myungsoo took a deep breath. "Yeah,"

"Great! Now let's go inside." He turned and swung open the door to the nearest building.

"What-- we were right outside?!"

Sungyeol ignored him and grinned at the woman who ran out from behind the front counter.

"Sungyeol! Ah, I've missed you so much!" She threw her arms around her son's waist.

"I missed you too, Mom."

Myungsoo fidgeted awkwardly with his suitcase handle, taking note of the large height difference between mother and son.

"And this is Myungsoo?"

He bowed deeply. "Hello, I'm Sungyeol's classmate. Sorry to intrude."

"How did my son befriend somebody so well-mannered? Very handsome, too." she patted his arm. "It's really our pleasure to have you. Sit down boys, I'll get something for you to eat. You must be tired from the long train ride." She hurried off into the kitchen.

"See? She loves you."

"She's being courteous."

Sungyeol rolled his eyes as his mother returned with a large tray. "Fresh seafood makes the best soup. It's one of our best dishes, so I hope you like it. Is there anything you want to eat, Myungsoo?"

"I'm sure anything you make will be delicious." He smiled as she ladled the steaming soup into bowls.

"Really, there's no need to be shy! Anything you've been craving. Sungyeol says that the school's cafeteria food didn't have the heartiness of home-cooked dishes."

"Hmm, then... do you have curry udon?"

She beamed. "Coming right up."

As soon as she disappeared into the back, the front door to the restaurant opened and an older-looking, more masculine version of Sungyeol walked in. He did a double take at his brother before sliding into the seat across from him, eyes wide. "You're back?!"

"As if you could get rid of me."

"What the hell?! Mom! You said Sungyeol was staying at school over the break!" He shouted.

"There was a change of plans. My crazy friend went and got train tickets without asking me first, and I ended up here. Daeyeol, meet crazy friend Myungsoo. Myungsoo, meet my brother Daeyeol."

Daeyeol grabbed Sungyeol's chopsticks and popped a piece of squid into his mouth. "Pleasure to meet you. Let's be best friends."

 

After their meal, Daeyeol and Sungyeol had caught up with each other and Sungyeol was showing Myungsoo to his room.

"Sorry we don't have a guest room for you. I can room with Daeyeol if you want me to, otherwise I'll sleep on the floor."

"I'd prefer the company. Take the bed, it's your place."

Sungyeol raised an eyebrow. "Is this gonna turn out like it did last time?"

Myungsoo looked down bashfully.

"Don't do anything weird, got it?" Sungyeol punched his arm.

"Wait, really?"

"Just go with it before I change my mind. I'll get the extra futon in case somebody gets kicked off the bed."

 

In the evening when the boys had settled in, Daeyeol was eagerly bringing up stories about Sungyeol in attempts of embarrassing the older. Sungyeol's mother kept scolding him to work harder instead of talking. "Your father's helping his friend fix their boat, so I'm all alone tonight. Are you going to let your mother do all this work by herself? Start making the soup stock. Sungyeol, you can go watch TV with Myungsoo if you want."

"No fair! You make me help out even when I bring people over!"

"Maybe if you stopped bringing home whiny girls and bratty boys I'd give you a break."

"It's okay, Mom. I really missed the restaurant anyway." Sungyeol smacked the back of Daeyeol's head and puts on an apron. "I'll cut the meat and serve tables."

"Uhm, I'd like to help out too, if that's alright." Myungsoo stood awkwardly by the door. "You're letting me stay here for free and I'd feel bad if I didn't."

"What a sweet boy. Learn from him, Daeyeol." She handed Myungsoo an apron. "You can take orders when the customers come."

Daeyeol scowled and continued his work quietly.

As it turned out, Myungsoo's good looks resulted in lots of whispering and heated gossip among the customers. Some even prolonged their stay for his service. Once the restaurant closed, he and Sungyeol stood shoulder to shoulder at the double sink, washing dishes.

"You'll be the talk of the town tomorrow. Male model waits tables at Lee family restaurant, attracts young and grown woman alike."

"Stop, you're embarrassing me."

"I have to say, I never would've imagined you working at a little place like this. You don't fit the environment. Too plain for you."

"It's the least I can do."

"Yeah, after buying me a ticket to come here in the first place. I was thinking we should go to the beach tomorrow. The ocean's too cold for swimming, but we can walk out onto the dock and see the heart tree sculpture. And after that we can take the train to Seoraksan Park. There's a giant Buddha and a million pathways to take."

"Are you asking me out on a date?"

"Don't expect me to get you flowers."

 

In the morning Sungyeol woke up with Myungsoo's hand on his waist. The other was breathing softly, still asleep. Sungyeol reached out and brushed the hair away from his eyes.

"Myung, we should get up soon. We're going to have a lot of fun today." He hummed, continuing to run his fingers through the other's hair. Something caught his attention as the other slowly opened his eyes.

"Ten minutes." His voice was low and sleepy.

"It's already a quarter after nine."

Myungsoo reached up and pulled Sungyeol's head to his chest. "Ten minutes." He repeated.

Sungyeol flushed at the gesture. H could feel the other's warmth through his shirt, the steady rise and fall of his breaths. Surprisingly, he didn't mind the close proximity. He recalled what he had wanted to say. "Did you use my mom's hair iron?"

"What?"

"It looks like you crimped your hair."

Myungsoo reached up and pulled at a strand, huffing at the frizzy texture. "I knew I should've gotten it treated before coming here. My hair's naturally curly."

"That's so cool!"

"It's annoying."

"It's awesome. Now get up. If you're not ready in ten minutes, I'm ditching your snail ."

 

"Oh my God."

"I know, right?!"

"My life has been changed." Myungsoo stuffed more coconut bread into his mouth.

"Exactly," Sungyeol grinned. "It's way better fresh, so you're getting the full experience."

The continued to enjoy their breakfast in silence for a while before Sungyeol turned to Myungsoo and asked, "What's in your backpack?"

"Oh, right," the boy dusted bread crumbs off his hands, then reached in and pulled a camera out. "I brought this along. To commemorate our first trip together. I want to remember it.." He slipped the strap around his neck, powering it on and pointing it at Sungyeol. "Smile!"

"Hey– I wasn't ready! Delete it!"

In the photo he's grinning, raising a hand to cover the lens. "You look fine."

"No, I don't." Sungyeol reached to grab it.

"Yeah, you do." Myungsoo took a piece of bread and stuffed into Sungyeol's mouth, standing up and hurrying away down the sidewalk.

"Mmph!" Sungyeol shook his fist at the other boy. "I'll get my revenge!"

 

The beach was practically empty when they got there. It was to be expected; the weather was cold and the sky was gray. The boys walked together along the sand,  heading toward the dock when they ran into a middle-aged man who was tossing dried fish to a flock of seagulls.

"Lee boy, you're back from that fancy school?"

Sungyeol smiled. "Yes, sir. I'm just visiting over the winter break. This is Myungsoo, he's my classmate. He's on scholarship just like me."

Myungsoo bowed and greeted the man.

"Ah, is that so? Well I'm glad you boys have each other. That place is full of spoiled snobs, ain't it?"

He laughed lightheartedly. "Lots of them, yes. But some aren't so bad."

The man scowled. "Rich city folk don't know how to raise their children. Kids need some tough love, or they'll grow up and lose their way in the world. How long are ya here for?"

"Two weeks."

"The Mrs. talks about you a lot. Thinks you're a good boy. Wishes our daughter woulda found someone smart like yourself."

"I'm flattered, but her husband is a wonderful man."

"True enough. Drop by sometime before you leave. Stay for dinner I'll bet the big city food doesn't even compare to what you get around here."

 "I'll be sure to come over."

"Good. I'll let you boys be on your way, then." He bid them farewell and they continued their stroll.

When they were out of hearing distance, Sungyeol spoke. "He's my dad's good friend. His family owns a fish shop, we buy all our seafood from there."

"Hey, uhm... thanks for telling him that."

"Telling him what?"

"That I'm on scholarship."

Sungyeol laughed humorlessly. "Yeah. People here don't really take kindly to rich city kids."

"Yeah, I guess."

After visiting the tree sculpture they were on a bus headed to Seokraksan Park. Sungyeol stared out the window at the nearly-white sky. "Hey, it's snowing."

Myungsoo leaned across him to look. "Oh, it is. Should we go back?"

"If you want to,"

"Not really,"

"Then let's keep going."

 

As promised, tha park had countless paths to follow. Sungyeol lead them to the Buddha statue, where they stopped for lunch. His mother had made lunch boxes and given them to Myungsoo to bring along.

By this point, Myungsoo had taken countless photos, half of them of which were Sungyeol.

"Hey, let me take some embarrassing photos of you."

"They're called candids."

"Sure. C'mon, let me try."

"Don't delete anything." He slipped off the neck strap and handed the camera to Sungyeol, pointing to all the different little buttons and explaining how it worked.

"Go stand  over there." Sungyeol took about twenty photos, scowling after each one. "It's no fair! You look good in all of them! I give up."

Myungsoo laughed and threw himself into Sungyeol, hugging him. "Jeez, you're seriously adorable."

Sungyeol flushed. "Hey, we're in public."

Myungsoo stepped back and opened his mouth to argue when his cellphone rang. He paused and frowned, fishing it out. "Sorry, can I take this?"

"Go ahead." Sungyeol watched him walk off to answer it, zooming in on him snapping a few more photos.

The boy came back with a troubled expression.

"Who was it?"

"My father's assistant. I– I have to leave tonight."

"What? Why?"

"I'm not really sure."

 

Sungyeol's family was sad to see Myungsoo off. His parents said he was more than welcome to come back anytime, and his brother gave Myungsoo his e-mail, telling him to send him all of Sungyeol's embarrassing stories. Sungyeol walked with him to the train station.

"Sorry I'm leaving on such short notice."

"It's fine, you can't help it."

"I had fun."

"Me, too."

"I'll see you in school?"

"Yeah."

Myungsoo sighed and grabbed Sungyeol's hand. "Hey, there's nobody around, right?"

Sungyeol looked left and right. "Not this late."

Myungsoo tugged him forward and brought their lips together.

"You– that doesn't mean you can do that!"

"Sorry, I couldn't help myself."

He huffed. "Your train's here."

"Yeah," Myungsoo sighed again, "Thanks again for everything."

"See you," Sungyeol watched his friend board the train. He continued waving until it was gone from sight, and stood there a while longer afterwards. He wondered what Myungsoo had to go do.

Myungsoo entered his house, immediately greeted by the butler and maids.

"Your father's been waiting for you, young sir. Go wash up and then head straight to his study."

He did as told, and soon found himself knocking on the large wooden door. The soft murmur of voices could be heard from inside.

"Come in," his father called.

Myungsoo entered the room and saw his parents sitting at the sofa. Across from them sat a young, pretty girl.

"We've been waiting for you. Myungsoo, have a seat. This is Naeun. You two will be getting to know each other very well from now on."

When school got back in, everything returned to normal. Sungyeol fell back into routine, but he couldn't help but notice that Myungsoo seemed different. He was much clingier than usual, taking every chance he got to throw himself onto Sungyeol. But at the same time, he seemed distracted, almost detached.

Sungyeol tried to bring it up a few times, but he got nowhere with the stubborn boy, so he dropped the subject.

Soon enough spring had arrived, and nothing had changed. Myungsoo was still as distant, and he wasn't showing any signs of telling what what on his mind.

It was ordinary day when Woohyun caught Sungyeol in the hall. "Where is he?" He demanded.

"What?"

"Don't play dumb. Myungsoo's missing, and you know where he is. 'Fess up,"

"Wait, he's missing?"

Woohyun glared at him. "You're ing with me right now."

"He didn't tell me anything."

"For God's sake, that brat. Listen, go look for him and meet me back here in an hour. And not a word to anybody, understood?"

Still, there was no sign of the boy.

It was only then that it clicked. Sungyeol turned to Woohyun. "I know where he is."

"And you're only telling me now?!"

"I just realized! You have to get me off campus. And I have to go alone."

"Getting you out, I can do. But I'm coming with you whether you like it or not."

 

They arrived at the train station together and Sungyeol boarded with Woohyun.

"So? Where are we headed?" The train doors beeped, signaling that they were about to close.

"I'm headed to find Myungsoo." Sungyeol slipped through the doors right before they shut, turning and waving at Woohyun through the window with a cheeky smile.

"Wait– no, I'm getting off! Stop the train!" Woohyun pounded on the door as onlookers shot him strange glances. He cursed as he pulled away from the station, angry that he had let Sungyeol escape.

 

Surprisingly, Sungyeol found his way to the river without a hassle. He walked down the path leading to the body of water and sure enough, sitting on the grass was

Myungsoo. He approached the boy from behind, startling him as he sat down.

"Sungyeol? Why are you here?"

"I should ask you that. Woohyun was losing his mind looking for you."

"Oh." He turned back to face the water.

"So? Why'd you run away from school?"

Myungsoo shrugged. "I wanted to clear my mind."

"I hear talking to somebody is the best method for that."

He gave a dry chuckle. "You're the one person I don't want to talk to about this."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Tell me anyway."

"There's no helping it, then." Myungsoo sighed and lay down. "I'm scared I might lose you."

Sungyeol frowned. "I'm not going anywhere, Myung."

"That's not it. When I left early over winter break, I went home and met my parents. They introduced me to a girl. Her name is Naeun. She's a year younger than me.

Her parents own a banking company. They're the ideal business partner to my family." He stated the facts the same way he would talk about historical figures. "I'm

supposed to marry her."

Sungyeol's heart dropped.

"But I refuse to. My mother had a fit. My father gave me a whole lecture on my responsibilities as his eldest son. But I don't care. I won't marry her."

"... why not?"

"Because I'm in love with you."

 

Sungyeol received several death threats from Woohyun after the whole ordeal, but he could tell the other was just glad that Myungsoo had been brought back safely.

"I'm still not okay with you two being friends though. That won't change."

Myungsoo grinned and slung an arm around Sungyeol, planting a kiss on his cheek. "Too bad, because this guy's my new boyfriend."

Woohyun gaped. "Sungyeol, you're letting him say that?!"

The boy looked down, offering no reply.

"Holy , things just got a hundred times worse."

 

Woohyun tried his hardest to split them up, but Myungsoo was having none of it. Anytime he caught Sungyeol in the hallway, Myungsoo would appear and steal him away. Finally, while Myungsoo was busy finishing a lab report, Woohyun managed to get Sungyeol alone.

"Break up with Myungsoo."

"He wouldn't let me if I tried."

"You know he has a fiance, right?"

"They're not engaged."

"Not yet. But they will be soon."

"Sure."

Woohyun clenched his jaw. "Sometimes I wish you weren't so smart. It would be for your own good."

"Yeah, you're probably right." Sungyeol turned and walked away.

With spring break right around the corner, the students were busy tidying up their rooms and preparing for the Chairman's annual visit. A bad impression could break them at this point.

Sungyeol was enjoying his moorning at a picnic table with Myungsoo while the rest of the students fussed over making their beds and shoving all of their garbage into their closets.

"You're still ignoring all of your father's calls?"

"Of course. He'll drag me away to see that girl."

"I'm surprised he hasn't dragged you away already. He owns the place, so you'd think he would've by now."

"He doesn't want to cause a scene. It starts rumours."

Sungyeol shrugged. "What're you going to do when he visits tomorrow?"

"Same as usual. Stay out of his way,  let him give his dumb speech that hasn't changed for ten years, let the students ogle at him and resent me." MYungsoo leaned his head onto Sungyeol's shoulder, "Can I kiss you?"

"What if someone sees?"

"There's nobody around. They're all in the dorms, across campus from here." He leaned in.

They failed to see Woohyun in the upstairs window of the library, with a cellphone in hand and a smirk on his face.

Let it be known that half of the chapter deleted, unbeknownst to me.

This is still incomplete, and I apologize to have given any of you false hopes of the actual ending being posted.

Because I have no access to what it was previously, I'm conflicted as to whether I was able to restore it just as well as the original was. However, this is not something I can control. I tried to keep everything the same to the best of my memory.

--UnspeakableSecret