CHAPTER 8

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Profanities learned in the Fist Fight Arena came rushing out of Jaejoong's mouth. "

 

What was that all about?" he snapped angrily. "That hurt, you !"

 

"I am simply proving to you that you are awake! The pain is very real, isn’t it? You can’t feel such pain in a dream, right?" Cloud began giggling like a child. "And you swore like a low-born peasant, Prince Jaejoong," he taunted.

 

Jaejoong was becoming irritated with this cloud’s attitude and sense of humor. But that thunderbolt did indeed prove he was wide awake and not dreaming all of this. Which meant, he was indeed hungry. He needed to hunt something to get food or go back to the castle. Images of the happy couple and the non-ending celebration in the castle made him decide to hunt for his food instead.

 

He took out the hunting knife he always carried on his belt. A rabbit or some wild chickens would be enough to satisfy his hunger. Using his instincts and the skills Ji-ho taught him, he began hunting for dinner. The black cloud followed him.

 

"Don't make a sound, you might frighten my dinner away."

 

"You need not worry about me, Prince Jaejoong, only you can hear and see me. I couldn't have discovered this ability of yours if I had not been intrigued by your situation and started following you." Jaejoong suddenly remembered the voice he heard in his room before.

 

"It was you who was inside my room when I was talking to Ji-ho!" he accused the cloud.

 

"Yes , that was me," Cloud admitted. "When you heard me, I thought everybody else could hear my voice. I roamed all over Solaris talking to everyone. But no one could hear me. So, I went back to you. It seemed as long as people believed in the Oracle, they won't be able to hear or see me."

 

"The animals do not believe in the Oracle, so how come they couldn't hear and see you too?"

 

"Animals do not have the capacity to believe. Only humans have that. And such qualities are needed in order for anyone to perceive me."

 

"You must remain quiet since your endless chatter is disturbing my concentration."

 

"I do not chatter. I simply answered your question."

 

"Be quiet!" he hissed.

 

Thankfully, the cloud stopped talking and Jaejoong was finally able to acquire his dinner after an hour. Later, as he the rabbit he caught cooked over the fire he made, he turned his attention back to the black cloud.

 

"So, let’s hear your story, Cloud," he said as he began carving some of the meat from the roasting rabbit. "Do you eat rabbit?"

 

"I do not need any food. I am already full of knowledge." Cloud positioned himself before Jaejoong. He began expanding his body until it resembled a small, floating blanket or maybe a painting canvass.

 

Jaejoong realized that he was treating the black cloud as a he, rather than an it. Maybe it had something to do with the cloud’s voice which was obviously male, though Jaejoong still couldn't put the right age for the voice. The voice seemed ageless. And Cloud's behavior was erratic. One moment, he acted like he was some old knowledgeable sage then in instant would begin acting and talking like some curious toddler.

 

"What are you doing?" Jaejoong inquired.

 

"Preparing you for the truth about the Oracle. I can show images on my body so that you can easily understand what I am going to tell you," the cloud explained. "I saw this technique when I loitered around a children's classroom once. Information and knowledge is easily understood by children once it is presented using pictures."

 

"I am not a child!" he protested.

 

Cloud ignored Jaejoong and proceeded with his lecture. The image of the Oracle appeared on Cloud's dark body. But not as one person but as three different persons standing in line. Jaejoong was so amazed at how clear the images on Cloud’s smoky body appeared, he forgot his earlier irritation. If not for the small size of the images, Jaejoong could have sworn the Oracle was indeed standing in front of him.

 

"The youngest incarnation of the Oracle is given the name Destiny," Cloud began explaining. "She sees visions of the future. From these visions, she will choose the one that will be told to the people."

 

"Wait, are you telling me that there are many visions of the future?"

 

"The future is endless and ever changing. Everything that will happen in the future will always be affected by the present. Therefore, the future is continually changing. By telling the future chosen by the Oracle to the people of Haldor, everyone would believe this future and even try their best to make that future a reality."

 

"Then why did Destiny foretell the coming of darkness if there were other possible futures?"

 

"Darkness has always existed side by side with the Light. It has always been here in Haldor. It is the evil in men's hearts. It was always part of human nature. But as to why the Oracle finally decided to tell this fact to the people, I do not know. I can only guess that by telling this, the Oracle could then give the people a reason why she replaced you with Donghae as the future king."

 

If Cloud was telling the truth, Jaejoong had become a victim of the Oracle’s plan!

 

"What is wrong with me?" he blurted. "Why has the Oracle replaced me?"

 

"You do not follow rules."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter