CHAPTER 37

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lee Donghae's life had been turned upside down after failing to kill the Lord of Darkness. But he couldn't break his word and promise. So, in spite of the Oracle's visions, he had now become a companion and protector of Jaejoong. And to be able to keep his promise to Jaejoong, he had to leave his family and new bride, Lady Jessica.

 

Before parting ways with Captain Jang Hyuk, he had written a letter to his father and Lady Jessica, explaining his situation and asking for their forgiveness. Donghae was not sure if he could ever go back to his family and wife now that he had sided with the Lord of Darkness. He would not be able to fulfill the prophecy of the Oracle. Jaejoong had made sure of that though it wasn't supposed to happen!

 

For several weeks, as he followed Jaejoong and his group into the oasis inside Mt. Agora, he had tried to find a solution to the dilemma he was in. He thought, maybe he would still kill Jaejoong but by accident. That would still fulfill the Oracle's prophecy while he continued to honor his word. Deep in his heart, he wanted to believe that everything would still turn out according to the Oracle's words. He prepared himself to fight whatever ruse or deception Jaejoong would try to do in order to shake his faith on the Oracle. He steeled his mind to whatever power Jaejoong would use on his mind in order to sway him toward his dark cause.

 

Donghae was prepared to fight and resist as long as he could to remain loyal in faith to the Oracle.

 

But for the past several weeks, the cunning, ruthless and dangerous Lord of Darkness Jaejoong was supposed to be never appeared.

 

In fact, the only doubt that had begun to appear in his mind was regarding Jaejoong's claim of being the Lord of Darkness! Instead of trying to persuade him to lose faith in the Oracle, Jaejoong began training to recover his fighting skills. Even the message he sent to the Oracle about attacking the City of Solaris seemed to be a ruse since he had yet to recruit people to raise an army that could fight the vast army of Haldor. He had yet to manifest any power, magical or physical, since they settled in the oasis.

 

And there was also the undeniable fact that Jaejoong was often bullied by the former incarnation of the Oracle. She now goes by the name of Dara and though she was supposed to be Jaejoong's captive acted more like his master. She was also more skilled than Jaejoong and due to Han's training had become quite a formidable fighter!

 

Jaejoong might be a lot of things, but he wasn't evil, the way the Oracle had described the Lord of Darkness. Donghae had also discovered that Jaejoong was like any normal teenager looking only for acceptance in a world that had rejected and branded him evil. Well, maybe not really normal since Jaejoong was capable of outthinking and outmaneuvering his opponents. Donghae would have liked to call Jaejoong evil for continuing to talk to a being called Cloud when all Donghae could see was empty air. But since Dara and Han also did that, he was beginning to feel that he was the one with the problem.

 

"Donghae, can we talk?" said Han's deep voice behind him.

 

Donghae looked up from the fire he was tending. He was preparing their dinner tonight. He was surprised to find Han already standing beside him and waiting for his answer. The big warrior could really move quickly without making any sound.

 

Donghae found himself glancing at Dara. Dara was sitting a few feet away from them and trying to comb her hair with her fingers. She usually focused on her hair when Han was near her. Donghae hated to admit it, but even if it was not supposed to be possible, Jaejoong was right about his observations on Dara. The former Oracle was indeed beginning to develop feelings for the warrior!

 

Donghae was brought up to believe that a girl chosen to become part of the Oracle would remain an Oracle until the day she died. That she would never fall in love or look at any man the way Dara kept secretly glancing at Han right now. But then, any woman would find themselves attracted to the strength and commanding presence that Han always carried with him.

 

But such a situation only became possible because of Jaejoong's meddling! Jaejoong made Haldor's rules, traditions and beliefs almost worthless and questionable with his actions and continued defiance of the Oracle's words. What was supposed to be true and right had now become open to de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter