CHAPTER 10

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Rags were quickly shoved inside Jaejoong’s mouth almost choking him. He wanted to protest, but all he could produce was unintelligible sounds!

 

"You are no longer yourself, Prince Jaejoong. You defy the Oracle’s words. You speak of blasphemy," Memory’s voice was firm. "Guards, take him and prepare his funeral pyre in the courtyard."

 

"Oracle, I beg of you!" pleaded Queen Na-young.

 

"This has to be done for the safety of Haldor. The darkness must be stopped now before he becomes stronger." Memory turned to King Won Bin. "Call Donghae, he will now fight the darkness."

 

The temple guards began carrying Jaejoong and his chair out of the temple. In spite of the leather gloves they wore, the guards were careful not to touch any part of Jaejoong's body. Their expressions remained grim, but there was fear in their eyes that refused to looked directly at Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong struggled out of his chair, but the chains held him tight. All he accomplished was get his wrists chaffed. He let out a sigh of exasperation. It pained him to admit that Cloud was right, he was weak and powerless.

 

The Oracle’s words would be followed and obeyed. No one would defy it! No one would dare save him or stop his execution! Even his parents, as they followed him out of the temple, looked defeated. They were now bracing themselves for his upcoming death in the pyre.

 

"You will be burned to death," muttered Cloud.

 

"I know that!" he lashed out. "Do something! You could also die here!"

 

"Maybe not. The Oracle could be lying."

 

If I die, Cloud, you will be alone again! No one will talk to you or even acknowledge your existence!" he quickly reminded the black cloud.

 

"But how can I save you? I can only absorb knowledge!"

 

"You can create thunderbolts! You struck me once before, do it again! Strike these soldiers carrying me!"

"

I am inside you, Prince Jaejoong. If I produce thunderbolts, those would go through first your body. You will be hurt!" Cloud warned.

 

"I would rather get hurt by your thunderbolts than be burned alive in a pyre!"

 

 "Your hands and feet are bound by chains. Even if the soldiers let go of you, you cannot run fast or escape."

 

"I just can’t let them build a pyre and allow myself to be roasted!"

 

"They are taking you to the courtyard. The spring is there."

 

"Do you want me to jump into the spring? I am chained to a chair. I will sink quickly to the bottom!"

 

"Exactly!"

 

"You want me to drown so you can escape my body?!" He was aghast.

 

"No! I want to save you, Prince Jaejoong. And the way to your freedom lies at the bottom of that spring!" Cloud’s voice had become excited.

 

"What are you talking about? Even if there’s a tunnel there, these chains would prevent me from swimming!"

 

 "The Sword of Truth lies at the bottom of that spring. And as the chosen one, you can touch it-"

 

"Have you forgotten that I am no longer the chosen one?" Jaejoong couldn’t help putting sarcasm on his voice.

 

 

"You are still the chosen one!" insisted Cloud. "And as the chosen one, you can still touch the sword. The Sword of Truth has the strongest blade of all the swords in the world of Haldor. It was forged from the fireshadow of the Oracle. It can cut through anything! These chains and chair would be like brittle bones against that sword’s blade."

 

This plan could work! But even if Jaejoong could escape, a bleak future awaited him. He would be hunted forever. And to survive, he would have to hide and continually run like a rat. Any mistake on his part would get him captured and brought once again before the Oracle who would immediately send him to his funeral pyre.

 

The Oracle’s word could not be disobeyed, it was the law. The Oracle would ensure that everyone would heed her words so her prophecy could be fulfilled! She wouldn't stop until Jaejoong was dead.

 

"Only if people continue to believe in the Oracle," comme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter