CHAPTER 12

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hero Black was currently the champion of street fighting in Klingston Block's infamous Fist Fight Arena. In two months' time, Hero would be defending his title when the underground fight resumed its yearly competition. The underground fighting generated a lot of money for the organizers. Some of these gold coins would find their way into the pockets of city officials and peacekeepers. Such bribes ensured the organizers that the officials and peacekeepers would always turn a blind eye during the competitions.

 

So Ji-sub was the one who organized these street fights and turned it into a money-making machine for his partners who first invested in his idea. He was also the one who gave it the name Fist Fight. In past years, only thugs from the streets of Solaris participated in these competitions, but as the prize money increased, a lot of young men from all five regions of Haldor had been coming to participate and try their luck and strength in the Fist Fight Arena.

 

The games were highly illegal. A lot of fighters died. But the thrill of such fights without rules had caught the public eye. So Ji-sub even heard that some young men belonging to the royal families of Haldor had watched and made large bets on the fighters. Such rumors emanated because everyone watching, betting and fighting in these games were required to wear disguises. Masks and false names were encouraged so that anyone would be able to watch or join the competition. The only thing that was strictly required was the payment of copper, silver and gold coins to be able to watch the competitions and bet for their favorite fighters.

 

So Ji-sub wasn't stupid to think that such activities had remained hidden from the omnipotent Oracle. He knew that if the Oracle chose to shut him down and throw him into the dungeon, nothing could prevent such a fate happening to him. He had been called before to the temple and though the Oracle never mentioned knowing about his plan to create the Fist Fight Arena, he knew the Oracle was aware of his plans. He was simply being tolerated because his arena was providing people distraction and a way to let out their natural cravings for excitement and violence.

 

But then again, Klingston Block with all its thugs, bootleggers, gamblers, drunks and petty criminals would cease to exist if the Oracle decided to have it razed to the ground by the soldiers. Klingston Block remained because the Oracle understood the necessity of its existence. Violence and vices would always be part of people's nature. And they needed a place like Klingston Block where such need could be released without harming or denting the quiet and peaceful life of everyone in Haldor.

 

Ji-Sub learned this truth the hard way when he tried to expand Fist Fight into the other regions.

 

All sorts of misfortune and disaster happened whenever he tried to build another arena outside Klingston Block. And after almost dying in an freak accident, he finally understood the subtle warnings from the Oracle. He immediately discarded all expansion plans and concentrated on his original arena.

 

With the amount of money So Ji-sub was earning, he really didn't need to expand his business anyway. And people from all over Haldor already came to his arena.

 

So Ji-sub was already amassing a lot of gold even before the arrival of Hero Black. Like every young man who had dreams of wealth and fame, Hero came to Ji-sub and begged to be allowed to fight in the arena. Hero's fighting skills were amateurish but he was young, eager and fearless.

 

So Ji-sub had always accepted these brave but stupid young men. They provided entertainment for the blood hungry crowds who wanted to see fighters pummeled and bloodied. They also helped rais

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter