CHAPTER 25

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jaejoong locked all the doors of Hong-man's house and started barring furniture against them. Dara meanwhile began closing and jamming all the windows. They had set aside their differences for now and silently agreed to help each other to survive the night.

 

"Grab something to use as a weapon!" Jaejoong instructed Dara.

 

"There is still another window opened in the kitchen," she said before heading swiftly to the kitchen.

 

Jaejoong took this opportunity to go back to their room and get the sword. He had just gripped the hilt when he heard the crash! It came from the direction of the kitchen.

 

He raced toward the kitchen and found Dara trying to stop a skeleton with a broom from coming through an open window. He smashed the skull of the undead with his sword, but its headless body kept trying to get inside the house! He had to totally destroy the whole body before it stopped moving. Quickly, he closed the window and blocked it with the dining table.

 

"You need to kill Bong-sun!" shouted Cloud who kept following him.

 

Jaejoong ran to the room of the Choi's. Maybe if they could wake up Bong-sun, Hong-man’s powers might start working. He heard Dara running after him. Would she try to stop him if he tried to kill Bong-sun? As the Oracle, she had quickly ordered his death to preserve the peace of Haldor. She should be able to understand what he needed to do to stop the dead from rising.

 

But before he reached the couple's room, he ran into Hong-man. He was already holding his scythe. He had also sensed the coming danger. He was ready to fight and protect his wife.

 

"What is happening?" he inquired.

 

"Bong-sun’s power has animated all the dead around us!" Jaejoong informed the crypt keeper.

 

"That’s impossible!"

 

"You need to wake her up! Stop her from dreaming this nightmare!"

 

Hong-man ran back to their room. Jaejoong and Dara followed with the latter still gripping the broom's handle. Jaejoong couldn't help but acknowledge that though the former Oracle had a lot of irritating traits, she did not lack courage.

 

"Bong-sun, wake up! Wake up!" Hong-man’s loud voice could wake up the dead. But Bong-sun remained sleeping.

 

Jaejoong cursed under his breath. Bong-sun was still suffering the after effect of the restoration of her idea by Cloud! It would take at least ten hours before she regained consciousness! By that time, all the animated dead would have overrun Haldor!

 

A loud crash followed by unearthly and noises made all three of them turn toward the direction of the sounds. Jaejoong didn't need to voice out his fear, all of them knew, the undead had gotten into the house.

 

"The dead are coming," Dara muttered, her hands trembled as she held the broom handle tightly. "Their only goal is to destroy and kill everyone on their path. That was Bong-sun’s dream and idea since she discovered that she had the power to animate things." She turned to Hong-man. "You cannot wake her up, Hong-man. This nightmare of hers would continue unless we stop her."

 

Hong-man’s angry eyes widened.

 

"Stop her? Are you saying she has to die?" An edge formed in his voice.

 

"Can you think of another way to stop the undead horde?" Jaejoong challenged the crypt keeper.

 

The noises and the strange footsteps coming from those who had died before were becoming louder and getting closer.

 

"We do not have time to argue!" Dara cried.

 

"I will not kill my wife!" Hong-man said stubbornly.

 

"Then step aside and let me do it!" Jaejoong ordered.

 

"No! Stay away!" Hong-man embraced his sleeping wife. "You have to kill me first before you can touch Bong-sun!"

 

Jaejoong felt pity for the big man. He had always believed that love was created by poets and minstrels to help young men like him seduce women. For the first time in his life, he saw a man who truly loved a woman. A love that asked for nothing but gave everything.

 

Hong-man carried his wife with one hand as he gripped his scythe with the other hand.

 

"You need to fight me first, Hero!" he slowly stepped back toward the wall.

 

"Bong-sun has to die!" insisted Jaejoong, "or else these undead will overrun the towns, the cities and all of Haldor! Are you willing to sacrifice hundreds of lives just to save a woman?" Jaejoong tried to make Hong-man see reason.

 

Hong-man shook his head.

 

"There must be another way to stop her! I will find another way! There must be another way." In spite of his show of determination, Hong-man's voice faltered.

 

"There is no time to find another way!" shouted Dara.

 

Jaejoong raised his sword. He had never killed a man. When he tried to kill the Oracle before, he did it to protect himself and because he never really liked the Oracle. But Hong-man was a good man. A man who was only trying to protect his wife.

 

Jaejoong steeled himself and attacked! Hong-man used his scythe to stop the sword. The scythe broke when it hit the sword’s blade. Hong-man's eyes widened with shock. Jaejoong stopped himself before the sword reached the crypt keeper’s chest.

 

"Kill me. I will not live without her." Hong-man's voice was firm, but his eyes became filled with sadness and resignation.

 

"You don’t have to die for a woman!" Jaejoong tried to put some sense into the man. "There are a lot more women in Haldor! Women who would love you back!"

 

"Kill me," pleaded Hong-man. "This is the only way we would remain together!"

 

Jaejoong knew what he had to do. He didn't want to die here after escaping the Oracle. But his hands wouldn't move.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter