CHAPTER 35

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Three months later

 

 

 

King Won Bin’s relationship with his wife and queen, Na-young, had always been based on respect more than love and affection. Their marriage was of convenience. She married him to become queen, and he married her to have a son and heir that his first wife had failed to provide him. But through the years, Won Bin believed that he and Na-young had learned to care for each other in their own way. Though they had remained formal and polite to each other in front of their son and other people, there were times when they shared genuine affection.

 

But whatever that affection was, had disappeared since their son, Jaejoong, had gone astray. She had become cold and disrespectful to him. But his marital problems paled in comparison to what he faced now. His position as ruler of Haldor was now being questioned by the populace because his son had become the Lord of Darkness prophesied by the Oracle! He only remained king because the heir and chosen one, Donghae, had gone to the side of Jaejoong!

 

As far as the people of Haldor were concerned, the Oracle wasn't giving any vision or order since Captain Jang Hyuk and the Knights of Solaris returned with such disturbing news. Donghae swearing allegiance to Jaejoong was never part of the future the Oracle had predicted! The Oracle’s prophecy clearly said that Donghae would save the world from the chaos and turmoil to be brought by the Lord of Darkness. The Oracle had proclaimed that Donghae would kill the Lord of Darkness! But Donghae now protected Jaejoong. The situation was bordering on the absurd! The chosen one, the heir and future king of Haldor, had sworn loyalty and allegiance to his son who now claimed the title of Lord of Darkness!

 

As king and ruler, and to protect the people from such disturbing news, Won Bin tried to hide the truth while preparing for the upcoming attack. But truth had a way of getting out. In less than a week after the return of the group of Captain Jang Hyuk, everyone from all corners of Haldor had become aware that Donghae now protected Jaejoong. And that Jaejoong was indeed the prophesied Lord of Darkness!

 

These days, King Won Bin could barely sleep. Nightmares and anxiety kept him awake. To pass the long nights, he had taken to walking around the castle grounds, He often found himself lost in deep and troubled thoughts. As each day passed, the time for Jaejoong's return loomed.

 

He had already issued an order to every able-bodied male to arm themselves and to prepare to protect the city. Contingent soldiers from all five regions had also begun arriving. Most of them had set up tents around the city's perimeters.

 

"It’s already late, Your Highness," Oh Ji-Ho's concerned voice halted King Won Bin's steps. "You should be sleeping."

 

 He turned toward his friend and Haldor’s new army commander. Ji-Ho was sitting on one of the stone benches lining the pathway dividing the castle gardens. Smoke was curling out from the large pipe in his hand.

 

"I could say the same to you, my friend." He slowly walked toward the stone benches.

 

Oh Ji-Ho took a deep breath from his pipe and blew out smoke from his mouth.

 

"We both watched and trained Jaejoong to prepare him for becoming the next king of Haldor." Ji-Ho's eyes had a far away look as he remembered the past. "We imparted him with our knowledge and experiences. What he has done has hurt and betrayed us both, Your Highness. I also feel your pain."

 

King Won Bin breathed a sigh and sat beside Ji-Ho.

 

"I don’t know what’s happening in our world anymore, Ji-Ho. The Oracle which had always guided us in times of troubles has yet to offer any solution. All she does is give us visions of destruction and death since Donghae allied himself with my son. And I can't tell that to the people. Her words would only increase their fears."

 

"The Oracle is now incomplete. Memory can only look into the past. And Destiny could only see into the future. If our Oracle still has the incarnation of Wisdom, she would be guiding us now on how to avoid a dark future. But Wisdom is now lost to us. The Oracle's order for her death remains."

 

"And because of that, the regents and I had to rely on ourselves to form a plan for defending our city." King Won Bin took a deep breath. "Without the guidance of Wisdom, there is no way for us to know if

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter