CHAPTER 32

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Standing on top of the hill, Jaejoong watched the arrival of Donghae and the soldiers. All of them were riding horses and in full armor. He immediately knew that Donghae's companions were no ordinary soldiers. They were the elite fighters of the city, the Solaris Knights! Only death could stop these knights from fulfilling their missions. And any one who dared stood in their path would meet death.

 

Cloud's information regarding the number of their pursuers was correct. But Cloud forgot to mention that four of the knights were wounded. The others also looked as if they had been through a tough battle. He could surmise that like his group, they had also encountered the undead brought to life by Bong-sun’s power. But among Donghae's group were crossbowmen! That’s not good.

 

The group halted within the range where their arrows could reach the hill. A good tactic. For once, Jaejoong regretted not paying attention to his archery lessons because he never was a good shot. He hid this weakness from Ji-Ho by claiming that bows and arrows were weapons for cowards who didn't have the courage to fight their enemies face to face.

 

But because of the presence of the crossbowmen, Jaejoong's plan would fail. It would be so easy for the crossbowmen to simply shoot them down with their arrows without even going near them!

 

Jaejoong turned to Cloud who was drifting nearby.

 

"Cloud, go to them and assess their weapons. Find out how many more arrows they have left."

 

Cloud swiftly flew toward their enemies. Han remained standing below the hill with his long sword already drawn and ready. Glancing at Dara, Jaejoong saw the worried look on her face.

 

Their training these past few hours didn’t really produce the results she wanted. He was still incapable of seeing into the future five minutes from now. If he managed to live today, he would definitely do everything possible so he could perfectly master the power of foresight he now possessed.

 

One knight started to move away from the group and approach the hill. He halted his horse a few feet before Han and took off his helmet. Jaejoong recognized the knight as Sir Jang Hyuk , the Captain of the Solaris Knights. Though he belonged in one of the royal houses of Risine, he had proven himself a good soldier and leader. He was once the top student of Oh Ji-Ho and was now rumored to succeed the latter's current position as captain of the guards.

 

Captain Jang Hyuk ignored the presence of Han after briefly glancing at the warrior's long sword and the two simple leather armguards on his arms. To Jang Hyuk, Han was just a commoner beneath his attention and rank. Han did look like an ordinary peasant with his sleeveless black tunic held in place by a simple leather belt. His breeches had seen better days and had lost their original colors. His boots, though sturdy looking, was packed with dirt. Though Han could stand eye to eye with any of the knights and outmuscle most of them, anyone could assume that his muscles were the result of everyday hard work and not from fighting.

 

Sir Jang Hyuk spoke with a clear, loud voice. His eyes looking directly at Jaejoong.

 

"Prince Jaejoong, we were sent here by the orders of King Won Bin to capture you and the former Oracle Wisdom and bring you both to the temple. Resistance on your part could mean your instant death."

 

"Won't we be facing death sentences too if we come with you to the temple? I bet, there are already funeral pyres being readied for us!" Jaejoong shouted back.

 

"But it will be death with honor. Dying here like an animal is not worthy of you, Prince Jaejoong."

 

Jaejoong noticed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter