CHAPTER 28

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The afternoon sun greeted Dara when she opened her eyes again. She smelled something roasting. She turned her head and saw Han sitting near a burning fire and cooking two rabbits. She felt hunger. But also felt parched. She needed something to drink first.

 

She sat up and found Jaejoong lying beside her. He was still asleep, but his left arm had been bandaged. She noticed that her blistered hands were also wrapped with bandages. She turned to where Salamander should be, but he wasn’t there!

 

"Where’s Salamander?" she asked Han.

 

"Playing with Cloud," answered Han.

 

"What?"

 

He pointed to her right.

 

Salamander was below the hill, munching on some grass. Cloud was hovering beside the horse.

 

"Can Salamander see Cloud?"

 

"I often wondered about that," he mused. "Anyway, breakfast, lunch and dinner will be ready in a few more minutes."

 

She realized they were still inside the City of the Dead!

 

"We must get out of here! What if the dead rises again when night falls?"

 

"No. The power that brought them to life and into a killing frenzy had dissipated. We are safe here." He stood up. She noticed that he was holding a water skin. "Water?" he offered.

 

She nodded and took the water skin. After having her fill, she found Han's dark, brown eyes studying her again. She felt her face flushed. He was also near her this time. She could clearly see the shape of his well-chiseled face and the neatly trimmed beard that almost covered half his face.

 

Judging by his appearance, he was probably in his mid thirties. And based on what she saw this morning, his body had been through a lot of fights as evidenced by his proficiency with the sword and the small white scars on his hands.

 

He dressed like a traveler and his skin, bronze-colored by the sun was clear evidence of how long he had wandered under the heat of the sun. But he walked and moved like a warrior or a soldier. It had become obvious with the light of day that he was also wearing some kind of thin armor inside his sleeveless tunic.

 

"Can you still see the future?" His voice broke the silence between them.

 

"Cloud told you that?"

 

"He likes giving information and lectures." He flashed a smile, but his features soon returned to being serious. "Could you try to see the future, Dara? There’s something I need to know."

 

"I can only see the future ten minutes from now."

 

"That’s enough for me."

 

She nodded and started concentrating. The slight tingling and warmth that would spread throughout her body whenever she used her power didn't happen. She also didn't see any visions! Even the darkness that prevented her from seeing more than ten minutes into the future wasn’t there to stop her. All she could see was what was happening right this very minute! "Can you see the future?" There was concern on Han’s voice.

 

"I don’t understand. I can’t see the future! Could I have lost my power when I forced myself beyond the ten minutes last night?"

 

Han sighed. A tired smile came into his lips.

 

"You didn’t lose your power, Dara. You just gave it to someone else."

 

"I never gave my power to anyone! And I never heard of powers being transferred to someone else!"

 

"As an Oracle, the fireshadow sustained you, right? It also enhanced your power. So, it’s really possible that powers can be transferred or lent to someone else."

 

"To whom did I-"

 

Han pointed to the sleeping Jaejoong.

 

"And in exchange for your power, you gained his fighting skills and prowess."

 

She was aghast! Without that power, she could never return to the Oracle! That power was the reason she was chosen among th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter