CHAPTER 48

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The castle grounds had finally quieted down. Everyone was now sleeping except the sentries who stood guard on the gates and towers. All was exhausted but at the same time relieved. There would no longer be any bloody wars in the future caused by the Lord of Darkness. For the moment, Haldor was again at peace.

 

From the western wall of the castle, Jaejoong surveyed the City of Solaris. No sentry patrolled these walls anymore. Only the regular tower guards have remained in their posts. Jaejoong had this part of the wall all to himself.

 

Most houses and buildings were still alight in the city even at this late hour. The women and children who had fled the city before in fear for their lives had begun coming back since news broke out that the city was once again safe. Those who have fled farther would probably come back tomorrow or the day after. News were currently being spread through homing pigeons and soldier messengers to all four corners of Haldor. Soon, the city would once again be full of vibrant life and noises.

 

The truth about the true nature of the Oracle had also started spreading. Soldier messengers would ride through the night in order to deliver the news to the lords and ladies of the land as well as town heads, city mayors and councilmen. Ordinary people meanwhile used homing pigeons to keep abreast of gossips and news. By now, thousands of homing pigeons were flying toward towns and villages. Once one of them reached their destined towns or villages, the pigeons of those places would send their own to other towns to quickly spread the news.

 

All the regents meanwhile had returned to their own regions. But not after Jaejoong had met with them and assured them that he was incapable of raising an army of the dead.

 

It took him several hours to explain about Cloud, the ideas being taken by Memory and the power of Choi Bong-Sun that was accidentally released, resulting to the rise of the undead from the City of the Dead.

 

The regents finally left Jaejoong alone after they had become fully satisfied with the facts. Of the five regents, Jaejoong was surprised that the only one who was able to see Cloud was Lord Seung Won. Old age seemed to have made the regent more pliant in accepting changes since he had seen and experienced several changes during his lifetime. Or maybe it had something to do with the Lord of Mussur's fondness for Jaejoong. He was after all, Jaejoong's godfather.

 

The regents like King Won Bin had momentous tasks ahead of them. They needed to prepare their people for the new changes and to the true nature of the Oracle and the Fireshadow. Jaejoong trusted them to start telling their subjects that he wasn’t really the Lord of Darkness. And that the Oracle only named him the Lord of Darkness because of the part he would play in changing the conservative and repressive society the Fireshadow had created.

 

His thoughts turned back to his emotional reunion with his mother, Lady Na-young. After all the tears and hugs, he was also forced to act as peacekeeper between his parents who had become estranged from each other since the Oracle ordered his death. Then he had to personally talk to Donghae and Ji-Ho, explaining why he had to give up the throne and why Donghae must now become the future king of Haldor.

 

His whole day had been so busy! He was tired, and he had been awake for almost twenty four hours. He was glad everything worked out, though he had to adjust his plans several times.

 

"But at least, I am still alive," he muttered to himself. No soldiers or knights would ever come after him again. He was now free to go wherever and whenever he desires. And he had even convinced his parents that he no longer required any guards to protect him. He had shown his parents that he could now protect and take care of himself without needing any guards. They couldn't dismiss the fact that he had survived all the danger around him despite the odds against him. He was now a man who could stand on his own.

 

Donghae, being the future king had those guards now. Jaejoong chuckled. He never thought he would ever accept Donghae to be Haldor's future king. But a king must have honor, a capacity to accept the truth, changes and most of all respect his enemy. Donghae had all those qualities, and he was also willing to have guards all around him as well as stay confined in the castle.

 

Before Donghae was rushed back to his new bride, he was able to tell Jaejoong that Han was alive and currently wandering around the city and looking at the sights. Jaejoong wasn't worried about the warrior.

 

But he was worried about Dara. In spite of his constant argument with the former Oracle, he couldn't help but feel responsible for her. She had nowhere to go.

 

He blamed himself for forgetting about her situation because of everything he had to deal with today. He cursed himself for failing to notice Dara's disappearance in the temple.

 

He had sent out Cloud to look for her since mid-afternoon. Cloud had not yet returned. Not that he’s worried something bad could ever happen to Daral or Cloud. Dara could protect herself, and the little black cloud had been living for thousands of years in Haldor unharmed. But Jaejoong had a bad feeling that Cloud got distracted with the comings and goings of a lot of people in the city. Rumors and news must be everywhere. And Cloud would likely be absorbing every news, rumors and information brought by the citizens of Solaris. The little cloud was addicted to collecting information and finding out if these were true or not.

 

Jaejoong's thoughts were suddenly interrupted by approaching footsteps. He turned to see if it was the tower guard but instead, he saw Cloud’s smoky body breezing toward him.

 

"Where have you been?"

 

"Looking for Dara!"

 

"And did you finally find her or where you so busy listening to all the gossips in the city?"

 

"I can’t help but absorb all the information around me!" Cloud protested, his body jerked slightly. Sometimes, Cloud really looked like a soft cotton pillow. "Anyway, I did find Dara. She is with Han."

 

That didn’t surprise Jaejoong. The owner of the footsteps finally came into view. It was Han’s huge form.

 

"Sorry for worrying you," said Han, a smile cracking his face, "but I didn't want to bother you since you were busy dealing with the folks here in the castle. I waited until you have finished your business with them before I came to see you."

 

"How did you get inside the castle? I ordered the guards to inform me the moment you arrive."

 

"Don’t blame the guards, blame him." Han pointed at Cloud with his thumb. "He led me through a secret passage and brought me here."

 

"We need to prepare for our journey, Han. We will only be staying here in Solaris for a week. After that, we will travel around Haldor. The ideas that the Oracle had taken away from people must be returned. But careful and proper investigation must first be performed. When I am finally convinced that those people are not crazy like Bong-sun, only then will I let Cloud return their ideas. I will not make the same mistake I did in the City of the Dead."

 

"People change when they are given powerful ideas," commented Han. "They may be good people today, but with a powerful idea in their head, they might start using these ideas for their selfish needs. Or worst, they could even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter