CHAPTER 24

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jaejoong’s face paled as Dara's words became clear to him. He could see the truth and fear in her eyes leaving no room for doubt. He didn’t say a word but quickly disentangled himself from Dara's hold and hurled himself out of the door.

 

"Cloud! Cloud! Stop! Don’t give her back the idea!" he shouted.

 

Dara scrambled to follow him. Jaejoong felt chill ran down his spine when he saw Bong-sun standing at the end of the hallway. Cloud was hovering near Bong-sun whose eyes had gone blank. But something about her expression had changed. Her lips were now twisted in a cruel smile!

 

"What happened to my wife?" boomed the large voice of Hong-man.

 

Both Jaejoong and Dara looked up to see the giant man in his nightclothes standing on an open door near them. Hong-man quickly strode toward his wife just in time before she collapsed. She never reached the floor because Hong-man's huge arms caught her.

 

Grave concern flashed across Hong-man's face as he looked at his unconscious wife. Bong-sun was suffering the after effects of the restoration of her idea. Though she was asleep, her face still retained a cruel smile.

 

"We found her like that," began Jaejoong. But he hesitated telling Hong-man that after ten or twenty hours she would awaken and start animating golems or anything to kill everyone around her.

 

Dara’s eyes, looked angry and worried.

 

"Do you know that your wife has powerful magic?" she calmly asked the crypt keeper.

 

Color drained from Hong-man’s face.

 

"Did she try to hurt anyone of you?" his eyes darted from Dara to Jaejoong.

 

"So, you do know about her power." Dara’s eyes narrowed with understanding.

 

"You must forgive her. Sometimes, she can’t control it. But most of the time, she just use that to make our brooms clean the house. And I never allowed her near any sharp objects."

 

Dara’s eyes continued studying Hong-man.

 

"You also have some kind of power!" Her eyes widened with understanding. "You can nullify her power when you are near her!"

 

Surprised showed on Hong-man’s face.

 

"How did you know?"

 

"Because I remembered about a woman who used her destructive powers to hurt people and a man who could stop that power several years ago. You were those two!"

 

Hong-man carried his wife in his arms.

 

"Her family paid me to be her guardian. To protect her from herself and others she might hurt because of her power. I was also stronger than her, and she feared me because she cannot do anything to me. But a woman no matter who she is cannot continue living with a man not her husband. So, I married her." His voice grew soft.

 

"I also took the job here in the City of the Dead as another precaution in case she would once again became destructive. But for the fifteen years we have been married, she had calmed down. She has not used her powers to hurt anyone. I swear that not one of the boarders we have taken in for the night were hurt!" There was pleading for understanding in Hong-man's voice.

 

It was clear to Jaejoong that Hong-man had learned to care for his wife, even if it’s still questionable whether or not Bong-sun had reciprocated the same feelings.

 

Jaejoong glanced at Cloud. He remained stationary where Bong-sun was standing before. He was listening and absorbing all the information around him. He wanted to blame Cloud but couldn't. It was his fault this happened because when Cloud began telling him that Bong-sun was one of the Oracle's victims, he simply told Cloud to return her ideas. He didn't even ask what was that idea.

 

"Do not worry yourself about us, Hong-man." Dara’s voice was calm now. Almost as if she had become the Oracle again. "She didn’t hurt us. But you must never leave her side from now on. Always guard her. You must also stop taking in boarders. Seeing other people could tempt her again to hurt them."

 

With his wife in his arms, Hong-man walked back into their bedroom. Jaejoong and Dara were left to themselves.

 

The instincts Jaejoong gained in the fighting competitions and Ji-Ho’s training alerted him to the imminent danger! He stepped back just in time before Dara’s hand landed on his face. Her slap missed him.

 

"You are so stupid!" The calm visage she had worn while talking to Hong-man was gone.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter