CHAPTER 39

Lord of Darkness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Risine was a region of flat lands and deserts. The people of Risine had long since learned to adapt to their harsh environment. The long stretches of desert sands from sources of water where villages and cities were located posed a challenge to Risine inhabitants. Pack animals and carriages would need to travel several days before reaching the next town. Dangers both from the environment and thieves abound on the road. Travelers and merchants had to carry gallons of water for trips that would last for several days. And no town could survive on its own meager resources. They needed goods and crafts not only from the region of Risine but also from the other regions.

 

There was also the problem of spoilage. Food spoiled faster in the hot desert. No amount of preservation could save it, if the caravans failed to reach their destination on time.

 

Because of this need for safe and fast travel, the air balloon was invented in the region of Risine. With the use of air balloons, travel between towns and even between regions had become swift and efficient. The continued need for air balloons as other regions found their usefulness had also boosted the economy of Risine. The only region that was not fond of these air-flying carriages was Ferrest. Ferrest being covered with trees reaching up to more than one thousand feet made travel by air balloon too dangerous. The air balloon's could only fly up to one hundred feet. And there was also the danger posed by the branches of these trees that could entangle the ropes around the balloons or worst punched a hole on the balloon itself during landing.

 

But even without the patronage of the Ferrest region, several towns in Risine became famous for specializing in the creation of these aircrafts.

 

Cloud had now brought Jaejoong to Gondola, a town well known for selling the cheapest air balloon in all of Risine. Jaejoong needed an air balloon for the success of his plan.

 

In Gondola, any ordinary person who didn't have enough gold or copper to buy a brand new air balloon would be able to find the air balloon that would fit his budget. Gondola used to be the dumping grounds of broken air balloons. But creative and highly skilled craftsmen would gather usable parts and create new ones. Not as good and efficient as brand new air balloons but good enough to fly short distances or even between regions depending on its size and strength.

 

Nowadays, second-hand air balloons were also being sold and traded in Gondola. Old balloons that had been used by a family for years could be sold and traded here for a much better one. People from all regions who wanted to find cheap but serviceable air balloon always came to Gondola.

 

Because of the booming business, Gondola had now become the third largest town in Risine. The second largest was Belarus where factories produce quality-made air balloons. The largest town in the region of Risine was none other than its capital, Syntax. Syntax was situated near the border of Mussur, giving it access to the vast produce of that region. Mussur was blessed with vast and fertile lands that produced sixty percent of all the grains and food that fed the population of Haldor. The people of Syntax could easily buy food and supplies from the Mussur region thus supporting the town's economic and political growth.

 

Cloud’s vast knowledge and information about Haldor had once again aided Jaejoong in finding the right merchant in Gondola.

 

Park Jin-young  was an old man and came from a family of merchant from the region of Yore. His goods might be second hand, but his service and honesty was first rate. It didn’t take long for Jaejoong to negotiate with the merchant and acquire an air balloon.

 

Jaejoong's earnings from the Fist Fight Arena had dwindled to the point that it wasn't enough to buy a second-hand air balloon. But the gold nuggets he found with the help of Cloud along the mountain ranges dividing Risine from Gorge was more than enough for one of Park Jin-young's air balloon. Jaejoong needed an air balloon that was large enough to carry six people. Or one man and a horse as was the case right now. Jaejoong had ridden Salamander to Gondola since he could not afford to waste time by travelling on foot. Horses were normal sights in the Risine region since its northern part was connected to Gorge, the home of the best horses in the land. But Salamander's highly priced bloodline was rarely seen carrying a simple traveler. Only royalties and knights owned horses like Salamander. To allay the suspicions of everyone, Jaejoong had to continually explain that he was a servant of one of the royal houses of Risine and he had brought the horse to buy him new shoes and a saddle. Which in a way was partly truth. Salamander had gone through a lot of kicking and stomping during their fight against the undead. He really needed new shoes and the saddle with the royal seal of the King of Haldor he once used had to be replaced with a specially made saddle designed by Han. Jaejoong found a craftsman who was able to create the special saddle after half a day.

 

With Salamander finally equipped with his new shoes and special saddle, Jaejoong waved goodbye to Park Jin-young as his newly bought air balloon rose up the air. This was Salamander's first flight and he was fidgety but Jaejoong calmed him down by caressing his side and giving him some of the biscuits he bought in Gondola's market. The food, provisions and the large jar of oil he bought was now safely secured inside the storage compartment of the balloon.

 

"Are you really sure you know how to fly this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter