Choosing your song~

Competition Rivals

 

Today was another school day for you. Monday. You did you regular morning routines and left early. While walking to school, you would often practice Sherlock by SHINee since that was the  recent dance you’ve learned.\. Practice makes perfect was your motto. You finally arrived at your school, Seoul High. You walked in completely, forgetting the happenings over the weekend, that is, when INFINITE beat you. You walked in and heard people talking about you.

“Whoa, it’s Jieun”

“Wow, someone beat her this time”

“Finally, someone defeats the ”

You turned and stopped in tracks. You turned around and glared at the girl who called you a .

“I’m sorry, what did you just call me?”

“Uh-uh. Nothing.”

“Really? Because I’m pretty sure you just called me a ”

“Aniya. It wasn’t me.”

You eyed her from head to toe. Her skirt was higher than yours. Her blouse was ed showing her cleavage. She didn’t wear knee high socks but wore high heels.

“Look who the one is calling me the ” with that you walked away.

Everyone was staring at you.

“What are you staring at? Get to class” you said and everyone instantly did what they were supposed to. You walked to your locker and opened it to receive notes that said “Hope you got better” and stuff. You were always thankful for some fans that always supported you every step of the way even when you lost for the first time.

You walked into your class and saw Jiyeon waving at you. You walked over to her and she asked, “How you feeling?”

“About what?”

“Well, you know, you’re the center of gossip this morning”

“It’s not like I haven’t been before. I’m totally fine with it”

“I hope so. Don’t get all emotional on me, araso?”

“Don’t worry about it” you said as you giggled.

Then the class bell rang. Everyone got to their seats and Hoya came in late. He walked in and everyone turned heads to his direction. His gaze met yours and he smirked. You looked away and focused on the notes in front of you. He walked past you and you didn’t look up when he did.

Soon class ended. As classes passed, it was finally lunch time.

You got your food and walked over to sit next to Jiyeon.

“Hey, did you hear about the Valentine performance?” Jiyeon asked. You nodded back in response.

“What song should we sing?” you asked her while munching on your sandwich.

“What do you mean we? Hyojin unnie and Hana unnie are backup dancers for 4minute and can’t make it in time.”

“Well, how about you and I-“ you said but was cut off.

“Um, about that. Doojoon oppa asked me out on a date that day” Jiyeon said.

“Bwoh?! Then what am I supposed to do?”

“Miahne Jieun. Maybe Tablo will let you do a solo.”

“I don’t know. I’ve never sang before”

“Don’t worry. I’ll support you, araso? Jieun FIGHTING!”

“Komawo. But I don’t know what song I should do”

“Well, let’s see. It’s going to be on Valentine’s Day. And it’s going to be about love. Ah, I know. You should listen to Hyorin’s  ‘I Choose to Love You’.”

“Are you sure, I can sing that?”

“We’ll test your singing later araso? Meet me at my house at 3. I’m going to go now, Doojoon oppa is calling me”

“Araso. Annyeong” you said.

*Singing and me don’t go together*.

After school ends, you went home and changed into your normal clothes. After changing from your uniform, you walked to Jiyeon’s house and arrived exactly at 3. You knocked on the door, and Jiyeon popped out.

“Jieun? You’re here early. I mean…right on time”

“I know. I went home to change and stuff.”

“Araso. Come in, I want to hear you sing!”

“Oh boy” you said as you walked into her house. Both of you went up to Jiyeon’s room and got comfy. Jiyeon was on the computer and she went to YouTube.

“Okay, so this is the song sung by Hyorin. Listen to it and see If you like it” Jiyeon said as she clicked play.

You liked the intro instrument beginning. The song was playing and you closed your eyes while bobbing your head. You liked the song. The song ended, and you opened your eyes.

“What do you think?” Jiyeon asked.

“I like it. It was beautiful” you said.

“Good. You’re going to go home and practice this song, araso?”

“Araso.”

“Now, let’s just test your singing ability. Sing something”

“Sing what?”

“Sing Hello to Myself”

You tried to get rid of stuff stuck in your throat before singing. You close your eyes while singing because you never sang in front of someone before.

Hello yeo-gin icheonshibinyeon iworaju chu-un gyeou-riya
Where are you eolmana kakka-i wah i-nni
keutorok wonhadeon kkume

yeo-gi nan ajing neomeojigo tto ul-ko
dachigo jichyeoseo i-reoseol himjocha eop-seo
keuchiman neon nal bogo utket-ji

Hello to myself hello to myself ul-ji malla-go nal wiirohaeju-llae
Hello to myself hello to myself hal su it-da-go neo marhaeju-llae
Hello hello ul-jima Hello hello i-reona

How are you eotteon-i kkumeurirundaneun geon cheongmal kkojibeodo apeuji
anh-ni
eocheomyeon ijen ne-gen pyeongbeomhan il-sangira ttaeron jikyeomni
hokshi neodo wehrob-go jichimyeon yeo-gi kkumkkudeon nal giyeo-khaeju-llae

Hello to myself hello to myself yeo-gi nal saenggakhamyeo useo ju-llae
Hello to myself hello to myself gaseum beokcha-ge haengbo-khae ju-llae
Hello hello useobwah Hello hello keureohke

Hello to myself hello to myself
yeo-gi nal saenggakhamyeo useo ju-llae
Hello to myself hello to myself
kkumkkudeon nari-jji maraju-llae

You finished the song and opened your eyes to see Jiyeon’s jaw agape open.

“What do you think?”

“I think we just found what your other forte is.”

“Really? I don’t think my singing is good.”

“Are you kidding me? You can be in Girls’ Generation if you wanted to be. You have dancing skills and singing skills. How come I find out you can sing just now?”

“Well, I chose dancing over singing before, and didn’t think I can still sing the same as before”

“Wow. You could audition and get in over 1,000 participants. Now, let’s rehearse the song you’re going to sing”

Both of you searched up the lyrics and practiced for two hours.

“Well you must be tired. You can practice by yourself right? “

“Ne. Komawo, Jiyeon-ah. For everything, really”

“No problem, what are best friends for?”

You smiled back.

“Bye Jiyeon, see you tomorrow”

“Oh wait.”

You turned around.

“We might have to choose an outfit for you missy. I don’t want you to show up in tattered jeans and a tshirt, araso?”

“Of course, something you would totally say about my clothes. Bye Jiyeon.”

“Bye Jieun-ah! Practice makes perfect!”

You headed home and smiled upon seeing your parents.

“Oh, Jieun, you’re home” your mother said.

“Ne. Eomma, Appa. I’m going to sing on Valentine’s Day” you said. Your dad got up from his seat and put his newspaper down.

“Bwoh?! You sing? I thought all you cared about was dance” you appa teased.

“Aish, appa. Stop teasing me” you giggled.

“Aigoo, honey. I haven’t heard Jieun sing in ages” your eomma said.

“Well, I’m going to since I have to participate in that event down at the club”

“Araso, dear. Let’s eat dinner now”

You ate dinner with your family and headed upstairs to go shower. While showering, you would practice singing the song since you had the time. After finishing your shower, you did your homework while singing the song.

*I just realized, I do like singing* you smiled.