Chapter Nine

I'm in love with a criminal

Chapter Nine:

Minwoo sat in the corner and shivered. He daren’t ask for another blanket, because he knew they’d present him with something worse than what he already had. The tray with food on top of it was untouched even though Minwoo was famished. It just felt wrong to eat when Dongwan was alone.

It had been fortunate for Minwoo to find Hyesung here. Sometimes he was thankful that Dongwan had talked so much about the angel like man. Sad was that the cop was very much a druggie. Well, that’s why Minwoo had gratitude towards him.

Cold shivers went down his spine every time the door to the whole floor was opened. It creaked like something in a horror house and was heavy. He knew they needed two men to open it. This was a jail for people who needed to be there more than just one night – no one had particular evidence towards the short guy, but he knew someone will find something and put him in a real prison – so people were brought and taken away once in a while.

The food started to look delicious in the exhausted eyes of Minwoo, but he needed to wait for Hyesung and hear that Dongwan was fine and eating and sleeping in warmth. He just wanted to hear that and then he could sleep in the chilly cell.

“Lights off!” the guard yelled loudly.

When it was dark, it was easier to fall asleep. Minwoo looked around, tucked himself more in to the blanket and tried to keep the eyelids open. When he finally heard the familiar steps advancing him and checking the cells, he saw Hyesung stopping in front his and nodding.

Minwoo sighed relieved and closed his eyes.

               

                ***

 

Dongwan took Minwoo to an abandoned apartment building and showed him the cubicle he called home. It was cozy, pondered Minwoo, as he walked around the pretty empty room and sat down to the small bed. The other short man was emptying the cupboards, trying to find something to eat, and when he had some cereal in his hand, he brought it to his new friend.

“Have some.”

“You don’t have any milk?”

“No…it’s too expensive…to steal,” Dongwan mumbled, head bowed. “I usually just eat it without…”

Minwoo decided not to complain, and just grabbed the package and started munching dry cereal. He daren’t ask how old they were, but they tasted pretty old. Whatever, it was still just food. Dongwan kept looking down at the fingers that twiddled, and then glanced at the older guy when he was done.

“We can’t be here long…” he blurted out.

“Why?”

“They will tear this building down.”

“But this is your home.”

“It was my home,” Dongwan smiled. “I can find a new place to live.”

“With me?”

The younger man chuckled, “Yeah, with you.”

               

                ***

 

Something loud was occurring outside the cells. Every part of Minwoo’s body ached because the bunk was too hard, and his eyebags and lids felt heavier than before. He hated to be woken up after a good night sleep, but it was obvious something was going on.

Minwoo sat up, rubbing his eyes and cleansing his hair, when a man ran past his cell. He gasped, standing up, and tried to see other men wearing the same outfit with the same badge. And when he did, he was certain that the men belonged to…his gang.

“Lee Minwoo,” A man stepped in front of him.

“Yes?”

“From the order of Eric Mun, we’ve come to rescue you,” the man tried to grab the criminal’s wrist and pull him out of his cell.

“YAH! Wait a minute!”

The guy did.

“I won’t go anywhere until Dongwan comes here!” Minwoo exclaimed, his hair falling to his forehead. “I won’t leave until he has come to rescue me!”

The guy looked around helplessly, as if he was asking for aid, and when Minwoo saw the obnoxious man with his two bodyguards and a gun, he frowned angrily, lips squeezed together and arms above his chest crossed. Eric had never looked smugger than he did now, and Minwoo just wanted to punch him.

Abruptly the wound of being shot commenced aching and Minwoo winced and raised his hand to the spot. It reduced the pain but increased the memory.

“Why are you here?”

 

                ***

 

“You can take the bed, I’ll sleep on the floor,” Dongwan talked and placed some old clothes to the wooden space. “Warning; don’t tussle and turn too much.” He grinned over his shoulder.

Minwoo sat on the bed securely, arms behind his back, and looked up at the man who kept walking back and forth in the small apartment. Dongwan kept throwing things to the floor, trying if it was soft enough. If it wasn’t, he stood up and threw more things and tried again.

“You can sleep with me on the bed though…” Minwoo whispered. “I don’t take much room…” he tried to smile.

“No, I shouldn’t.” Dongwan was not meant to sound stubborn. “You are the wounded one.”

The criminal was fussing around, when Minwoo grabbed his hand, not realising how romantic it looked like, and halted the other man. He let go off the hand promptly and cleared his throat, moving on the bed and giving room to the younger man.

“I don’t mind…” he crooned. “Just come.”

Regardless of being stubborn just minutes ago, Dongwan hurried beside the new guy. Both of them ended up turning backs at one another. They were pressed together as the mattress was tiny and narrow for the two of them, but they endured the one night.

“Minwoo-sshi…”

“Yes?”

“What happened…to you?” Dongwan interrogated. “I usually don’t ask, but—“

“I trusted someone I shouldn’t have,” Minwoo murmured.

The younger man looked over his shoulder and only saw brown and silky hair. Neither of them wanted to talk about bad things that had happened to them in their lives, but Dongwan could tell that Minwoo had been raised in those rich families. It was a vibe he gave.

“He shot me without hesitation…”

Dongwan did not know why, but he turned around on the mattress, lifted his right arm up and placed it around Minwoo. The other man didn’t stop him, but hugged the arm and sobbed silently into the hand that he softly held. For some reason, Dongwan felt like howling too.

 

                ***

 

“Come with me,” Eric spoke.

“I won’t go anywhere until Dongwan is here.” Minwoo said sternly.

“Please, Minwoo,” The older man cupped the face, wanting the eyes to look at him and not the door so ing expectantly. “Please, come with me. For good…” he pleaded, trying to use the dark brown eyes to melt the icy heart.

But Minwoo grabbed the hands and threw them away from him, glowering at Eric so deadly that the gang members left them. The leader of the gang had never seemed so miserable in his life. Minwoo had seen him in many situations, but he had never seemed so miserable.

 “Minwoo…”

“What?”

“I should have killed you that day…” Eric told, his hands on Minwoo’s shoulders this time. “Your dad told me to kill you, but I couldn’t. So I shot you on your shoulder. I’m sorry I did that. I’m sorry I betrayed you, but I couldn’t kill the love of my life. Please, come with me…” he begged.

Minwoo stared at him, hands curled into fists.

“Minwoo ya…”

“I won’t leave until Dongwan is here!” the shorter man jerked the arms away from him, pushed Eric, and marched towards the door, but the leader did not want to listen. “What the are you doing?!” Minwoo’s hand was grabbed painfully, he was yanked back and when he was in front of Eric, he was kissed.

Minwoo brought his hands to the chest and tried to fight.

He whimpered.

He pushed.

Steps echoed somewhere in the corridor.

Eric forced Minwoo to answer, and when the bottom lip glued between the other pair, Minwoo opened his mouth, revealed his teeth and bit the older man. Eric growled, held the mouth and was slapped hard.

“I love Dongwan!”