Final Chapter

I'm in love with a criminal

Final Chapter

Eric the shaft of the gun and whistled. Hyesung couldn’t understand why he was so relaxed when they were threatened by two very angry guys. Usually Hyesung wasn’t nervous, but the day he had stopped abusing himself with different drugs, he had become less immune to other feelings. Eric, on the other hand, was immune to nerve-wrecking moments like these. His life was in danger every single day.

 

“Eric,” Hyesung’s voice shivered. “What will you do when they come?”

 

The criminal laughed lowly, as if that had been the most ridiculous question of all time, and turned his head toward the slender man, whose long thin fingers grazed the handle of the gun. “I will kill them.” Eric replied nonchalantly, continuing to the shaft. “I have pulled my trigger at people before.”

 

Hyesung gulped.

 

“What if they pull theirs first?” He questioned.

 

“They won’t if they want Minwoo alive.” Eric glanced at the traitor and smirked. “Because if they kill me, they will never get Minwoo.”

 

Somehow Hyesung thought that wasn’t as solid plan as he had wished it would be. He was amazing with guns, which was the reason Eric had turned to him in the first place, but without the delicious, mind-blowing drugs he couldn’t focus.

 

They could hear a car approaching the courtyard. Eric dropped the gun down to his side, and pursed his lips, as he was biting the cheeks. Hyesung knew exactly what he was thinking. This was it. It was showtime. They would fight the two guys till someone was dead.

 

                             ***

 

Junjin pulled off the car, turned his head at his hyung and lifted a gun up. He loaded it, passed it to Dongwan and took another one. “It will get bloody,” he muttered and the older man nodded. Dongwan opened the door, held the gun idly next to his thigh and looked around.

 

“If you were Eric, where would you be?” He questioned.

 

Junjin shrugged and loaded his gun. “I wouldn’t be in front of my aim, that’s for sure.” he growled angrily and lifted the gun up fast to set a target.

 

Dongwan agreed. If Eric was to stand in his target, he wouldn’t miss.

 

It was hard to believe that they had come to this. Eric had always been Dongwan’s frenemy. They had seen so much together, gone through so many things. Some people had once called them brothers. Dongwan had been part of Eric’s little gang. But Dongwan had yearned for more; loneliness. He had once called Eric his leader. Now that thought just disgusted Dongwan. If he were to kill him, he wouldn’t have cared.

 

“Junjin,” Dongwan grabbed the younger man’s wrist and stopped him. “Be careful.”

 

The taller man nodded determined. The last thing he wanted was to attack the man and die. “Hyung, we will leave this place with Minwoo.” he promised.

 

“I won’t leave if we don’t have him.” Dongwan mumbled.

 

They approached the entrance and it opened when Dongwan kicked a rock at it. They were expected. It made him snort. Both parties knew that this was going to be the final battle. One of them was going to die. Dongwan nodded toward Junjin and they entered the yard.

 

                             ***

 

Eyes opened and were shocked by the darkness. They couldn’t see a thing inside the – box? Whatever it was, it smelled of an automobile. It resembled the smell of Eric’s old car; the one that kept halting in the middle of the road. It brought back the happy memories, before Eric had turned his back to all good and had become a monster. This car smelled like that one.

 

The smell sort of made the head ache slightly. The strong scent of gas entered the nostrils and burnt the hairs inside. Minwoo was suddenly fully awake.

 

The dizziness disappeared and was replaced by the panic. Minwoo slammed his fists to the trunk and screamed, tears falling down his cheeks. He couldn’t hear anything outside, except some muffled talking. Minwoo didn’t know how long he had slumbered, but when he heard gunshots he screamed from the top of his lungs, “DONGWAN!”

 

                             ***

 

“It’s been a while, Dongwan ah,” Eric greeted the guy, leaning to the trunk of the car. “Hasn’t it?”

 

Dongwan glowered at Hyesung, who stood beside the mafia boss and held the gun down. Junjin had already set Eric as his target, but he kept going back and forth with the head of his pistol. They were both behind Andy’s condition.

 

“Where is Minwoo?!” Dongwan was impatient.

 

“Eyy…we just met again and you are already talking about that scoundrel.” Eric muttered. “And I thought we could chat.” he chortled.

 

Hyesung finally raised the gun up and targeted the one he loved. Dongwan stared at him madly. His gaze was full of disappointment and hurt. It meant that Hyesung had more reasons to end his life, or to be killed himself. He was not really the first person Dongwan wanted to see. He changed his mind and turned the aim at the tall enemy, whose hands shivered.

 

“Shut up.” Dongwan commanded. “Where…is…Minwoo?”

 

Eric scratched the crown of his head with the tip of the gun and closed the other eye. He hated to be interrogated and Dongwan knew it.

 

“He is safe.” Eric admitted. “He needs to be so I can marry him.”

 

Dongwan pulled the trigger, showing that he was not messing with the older man, as he shot the ground. Junjin startled. He had not expected his hyung to lose his patience like so. Hyesung swallowed a lump and dropped his arm to protect himself, but instantly lifted it back up, gun aiming at Junjin.

 

“How is Andy, Junjin?” Eric could see how the corner of the eye twitched. “Is he still abed?”

 

Dongwan leaned closer to Junjin and murmured, “He is messing with you…don’t get…angry.” Junjin’s hand was trembling furiously, itching to pull the trigger and wipe that smug smirk off the handsome face. “That’s what he wants…you to show his weak side.” Dongwan talked out loud.

 

Eric laughed again.

 

“You learned well,” he praised. “Maybe Andy should have learned not to befriend with the criminals.”

 

“STOP IT!” Junjin yelled.

 

Hyesung loaded his gun and stopped the youngest man. “Not a single step…or I shoot.” he mumbled. “I’m not afraid.”

 

Dongwan despised the former police officer. Once Dongwan would have given his life to him. He would have jumped in front of a bullet for him. But all that had been destroyed when Hyesung had betrayed him and Minwoo. It was like looking at something that had lost its meaning long ago. The friendship they had shared was no longer.

 

“What do you want…?” Dongwan asked.

 

“We want you to fall back and let us go.” Hyesung said. “We will take Minwoo and leave the country.”

 

Eric nodded.

 

“And what if we don’t listen?” Junjin interrogated.

 

“Then…” The leader shoved his arm and bunch of sniperists jumped from nowhere and pointed their guns at Dongwan and Junjin. “…you can say goodbye.”

 

They were embattled. Whatever they chose to do, they were going to get killed. Dongwan knew it, Junjin knew it, and everyone in the yard knew it. Eric sniggered wider when the two guys dropped their guns and lifted their arms up. Hyesung strode to them and grabbed their guns and threw them out of reach. He then went behind the two guys and pushed them down.

 

Dongwan was on his knees, arms behind his head.

 

Junjin was on his knees, arms behind his head.

 

“I never expect this to be this easy…” Eric laughed. “Final words?”

 

Abruptly the trunk of the car commenced doing loud noise, and they could hear muffled screaming. Dongwan heard his name being repeated. It was Minwoo.

 

“DONGWAN! DONGWAN!”

 

“Minwoo!” Dongwan tried to stand up, but Hyesung punched him to the stomach with his elbow; he fell down to his side. “Min…woo…”

 

“YAH!” Junjin yelled, sweeping the man off his feet, and grabbed his gun, as he threw the arm around the neck and pointed the gun to the temple. “If you say a word, I will shoot.” The sniperists were waiting for Eric’s order, but it didn’t happen. “I will kill him…like you killed my Andy.” Junjin buzzed.

 

Eric stared at Hyesung.

 

“Don’t listen to him!!! Tell them! What are you waiting for!?” Hyesung hollered. “I am worth of nothing!!! Just tell them to shoot him!!!! You don’t need me anymore! I don’t need you anymore!! Let’s face it! You have never needed me! Just make the call and get to the car!” he was crying.

 

Eric dropped his arm.

 

“No! Eric!” Hyesung sobbed. “I beg of you!!! Do as you were supposed to!” Junjin pressed his forearm to the Adam’s apple and prevented him from talking. “Eric…”

 

The mafia leader was frozen. The sniperists were waiting for the command, guns aiming to Junjin and Dongwan, who was finally regaining his conscience and crawling toward the car. Eric couldn’t move. Hyesung was choking, threatened with gun, but Eric couldn’t do anything.

 

Dongwan was right beside Eric when he kicked him to the knee and the guy collapsed, hitting his head to a rock; blood shortly flooded down the grey surface. Hyesung roared, trying to order the sniperists, but they didn’t answer his commands. Tears rolled down his cheeks as Junjin pushed him down and told him to stay still.

 

Dongwan opened the trunk and stumbled back once pale, worn out and thin Minwoo jumped to his neck and broke down. His legs went around the waist, arms around the neck, and the face hid to the crook of the shoulder. Dongwan heaved a relieved sigh and gripped the dirtied white shirt tightly in his hand as he the back tranquilly.

 

Junjin placed his hand on Dongwan’s shoulder and flashed a smile to him.

 

“What about Hyesung?!” They turned around and saw that Eric’s unconscious – maybe dead – body and Hyesung were both gone. “…” Dongwan murmured.

 

“Hyung, maybe it’s better like this…” Junjin spoke. “They won’t harm you or us anymore.”

 

Dongwan Minwoo’s cheek and crooned, “I really hope so.”

 

                             ***

 

Couple months later:

 

“What happened…?” A groggy voice asked in the white, warm room.

 

Dongwan widened his eyes, hands slamming against the bed as he yelled loudly, “You are alive!” Andy looked at him in confusion, eyes half-lidded, as the gaze landed to Minwoo, who had been asleep in his husband’s arms. “God, Junjin thought you’d never wake up!”

 

The bartender sat up and noticed.

 

“Where is Chungjae?” He questioned silently, fearing for the worst.

 

Dongwan bowed his head down and glanced at Minwoo, who was still very exhausted. “He is gone…Andy…” the eyes of the bartender grew wide and shocked. “Junjin is gone…” Dongwan murmured, placing his hand on top of Andy’s, looking sentimental.

 

“What do you mean…?” Andy was holding back his tears. “What happened…?”

 

Dongwan cleared his throat.

 

“He just got thirsty and—“ Andy slapped him hard to the cheek.

 

“I THOUGHT HE DIED YOU DOUCHE!” the maknae exclaimed angrily and crossed his arms onto his chest. “I should have never let you come back.” he muttered.

 

Dongwan laughed and sat back down to the chair, lacing his arm behind Minwoo. Minwoo pressed his head to the lap and closed his eyes, slowly drifting into sleep. The door was slid open, and Andy gazed at it, as Junjin ran to him and kissed him.

 

“I heard from the nurse…” he murmured. “…you have no idea how happy I am…” he held the face.

 

“You…you can walk…” Andy blinked his eyes. “You…what…how…when…?”

 

Junjin chuckled and the messy but soft hair. “I can’t believe this is true…” He pinched himself and winced in pain. “It is true…” Dongwan chuckled, hand in Minwoo’s hair. “Are you okay?” Junjin talked like to a baby.

 

“I am fine,” Andy spoke. “But tell me…what happened? Did Eric and Hyesung die? Why can’t I feel my left foot?” he bombarded the hyungs with questions.

 

Junjin refused to answer.

 

“Hyesung and Eric ran away,” Dongwan replied. “…and they presumably left the country.” Andy leered at him in shock. “I don’t know how Eric survived, but I wish we never see them again. And Andy, they had to amputate your foot. I’m sorry.”

 

“Oh,” was Andy’s only reply.

 

                             ***

 

Someplace unknown:

 

“Will my brother be fine?” the slender man asked a nurse.

 

“He did get some severe wounds from the rock, but he will be just fine.” The lady smiled. “I’m sure he will be out of here by the day after tomorrow.” she added.

 

The thin man looked inside the room.

 

“Ah, you need to fill information about your brother, so come with me to the office.” She showed him the way and he followed. “Sorry, what was your name again? In case someone else is working when you next time visit him.” she went behind the counter and pulled out some papers.

 

“Ah, Steve. Steve Jung.” the man smiled.

 

THE END