Act 14

Can I keep you?

‘Will it be okay if I ask?”

Krystal was anxious.

Her husband was never the type to say things about herself, and Krystal doesn’t want to sound so nosy although she’s a very curious girl and she had all these questions that she wants to be answered. But since no one in the mansion wants to answer them, she knows that she’ll need to ask Amber eventually.

Right now, she’s contemplating if it’s the right moment to ask.

Another week had passed since the picnic and Amber was mostly busy with work and sometimes she’s out of the country too but Krystal cant complain, she loves hard working Amber than drunk Amber anyway.

And come to think of it, since both of them came clean about their feelings, her husband doesnt drink anymore. Krystal wants to think it was because of her.

“Oz needs to get out of the picture or else, Willow and Tara wont end up together.” The handsome girl commented that caught Krystal’s attention back to the big television screen.

“Isnt Oz Willow’s ex boyfriend though? She loves him so much, you think they’ll get back together?” Krystal asked, eyes fixated on the screen where an old tv show was being played.

“They’d probably wont introduce Tara if they were only planning on ditching the character.” Amber told her as she pulled her even closer to her.

They were in the master’s bedroom, currently watching an episode where Krystal thinks portrays her relationship with Amber—her being Tara, Amber being Willow and ofcourse, the ex-wife Yoona being Oz.

And she wonders, if Yoona comes back, will Amber feel the need to choose between them? Like which one weighs heavier, Amber’s past or Amber’s present? Yoona or her?

Krystal felt her heart ached as she watched Oz gets in between Willow and Tara.

Will it be like that too if Yoona comes back?

Ofcourse it would, Yoona is Amber’s first wife and the three kids’ mom, what can she possibly brag against that? That she’s Amber’s wife now?

But their marriage was fake.

Her heart ached even more. After the confession, neither of them raised the topic about their marriage. Sure they got married but it wasn’t real, there were no legal process undertaken and all were just a show.

So theyre anything but a married couple.

Somehow that doesn’t sound painful at all, because Krystal knew that their relationship is just starting to blossom and even if it took them years, they’ll eventually get married and hopefully it’llbe a real one then.

But ofcourse, they need to sort out Amber’s past married life first, aka Yoona, the ex-wife.

“And besides, Tara is important to Willow’s life. She’s helping her to move on.” And sure, Amber cant possibly read her mind right? But the twinkle in the handsome girl’s eyes as she smiled told Krystal that the former had an idea, somehow.

That alone made the younger girl’s worries disappears in thin air, for now.

“Amber..” Krystal called out as she positioned herself comfortably beside her husband, hooking her arm around Amber’s waist.

“Hmmm?” The handsome girl hummed, pulling the blanket to cover them both.

“This is it!?”

“Hyuna, Minah and Ellin.. Theyre not yours, are they?” She heard Amber heaved a sigh and she waited to get an angry response or probably her being thrown out of the room and out of the mansion as well but she was met with silence as her husband muted the tv.

“Its okay, you don’t have to answer. I was just wondering.” Krystal hoped that the question didn’t upset Amber or anything. The least she wanted right now is a cold treatment from her husband. They just made up, for crying out loud.

To her relief though, Amber replied, “None of them are.” There was a pause and Krystal knew the handsome girl was hesitating. “Theyre all adopted. Yoona adopted them, but by legality, Minah and Ellin are mine.”

Krystal nodded at that and urged Amber to explain further. “Yoona was turning 18 when she met Hyuna at the orphanage where Yoona’s mom was a devoted volunteer; Hyuna was still 6 back then. Yoona wanted to adopt Hyuna there and then, she reasoned out that she wanted, not to be Hyuna’s sister, but Hyuna’s mom. We all find it ridiculous to be honest but Yoona stand her ground. She wanted to be Hyuna’s mom  and so, as soon as she turned legal, Mr. Im did all the paper works for Hyuna’s adoption.”

“How old were you when you married her?” Krystal asked with a yawn.

“I was 23. I was too young and too in love so as soon as I finished college, I asked Yoona to marry me. We adopted Minah after that; she was five. Then three years after that, we adopted Ellin. We were a happy family until..” Amber paused and peeked at her, “Wait, are you falling asleep? Am I boring you with my life?”

Krystal shook her head furiously. “No.. no, Im not sleeping.” She yawned again. “Im still listening, go on..”

“Its unfair you know. Im sharing stories here alone, you should share yours too.” The handsome girl pinched her nose.

“What do you want to know?” Krystal yawned again but tried to keep herself awake. She blames Ellin for tiring her out the whole afternoon.

“Anything, everything. Like why did you come here in the US?”

“My friend lives here.” Krystal answered with a big yawn.

“Yeah, I already know that. I mean, were you running away from something? Your past, I want to know your past..” Amber stopped midway when she heard snores coming from Krystal. With a shook of her head, the handsome husband kissed her wife’s forehead goodnight before turning off the television.

“I’ll just ask you some other day.” The handsome girl muttered before wrapping her arms around Krystal and with the younger girl’s rhythmic breathing, Amber dozed off.