Chapter 8 - The Light

Til I Reach You

Chapter 8 – The Light

            The first ray of light hit me smack dab in the middle of my face and my eyes fluttered open.  I moved away and attempted to lift my hands to block it, but pain striking me in the neck stopped me.  My hands, which were being tugged on, could not come loose.  Where am I?  I looked around and saw an unfamiliar room filled with a many pink items.  Dear goodness, what kind of person lives here?

            And then it hit me.

            I looked down to see a still sleeping Sungmin laying comfortably on my lap, my hands trapped in his.  I had fallen asleep straight up, my neck resting in a weird way throughout the night.  But the view in front of me seemed more than worth it.  He was angelic, to say the least.  His skin was snow white and the sun caused it to glitter.  His lips were plump and red, as if he had just eaten a fresh strawberry.  However, the puffy eyes and dark circles snapped me from my daydream.  He had cried all night, probably while I was asleep since he was quiet last I remembered.  Was he just pretending?

            My attention came back to my entrapped hands.  I want them back.  I gently tugged, testing the waters.  When no reaction came, I slowly, but surely, pulled my hands away.  I sighed in relief as the angel in front of me continued to sleep.  However, all hope was gone when he started to whimper.  At first, it was a silent grunt here and there, but then his hands stuck out, as if reaching for something in front of him.

            That’s when the crying started.

            Tears slowly began to drip down his cheeks again as he pulled his hands back, attempting to hug himself.  “P-Please,” he stuttered out, his tears continuing their rush down his cheeks.

            What should I do?

            I shifted a little bit in my seat and slowly started to caress his cheeks in an attempt to wipe his tears away.  That seemed to do the trick, if only a little bit.  His whimpers started to quiet down, but he continued to silently cry.  However, he leaned his cheeks towards my warm hands.  He felt cold, but that didn’t matter right now.

            What do I do now?

            As if on impulse, I leaned down and gently placed my lips upon his two eyelids before pulling away.

            Did that work?

            The crying stopped and was replaced by fluttering eyes.  That’s a breathtaking sight.  The man on my lap took a deep breath in and out before looking straight at me.  “D-Did you just kiss me,” he asked, his eyebrows tightening, the earlier scene being forgotten.

            I tilted my head to the side and nodded.  “Yes,” I said, hoping that it was right to do so.

            “W-Why,” he stuttered out, reaching up his hand to wipe his face.

            I reached for his cheeks before he could and wiped the rest of the tears from his face.  “Because I wanted you to feel better and I’m not very good with words,” I whispered, brushing the last teardrop away.  I looked up at Sungmin’s eyes, which had an emotion that I couldn’t read.

            The emotion stayed and he smiled widely.  “Thank you,” he whispered, reaching for my hands and squeezing them tight.  “Has anyone ever told you that you’re actually quite sweet?”

            “Actually, no,” I said, shaking my head.

            “Well, you are,” he said, his arms twitching ever so slightly.  “It’s like you came straight out of one of those Korean dramas.”

            My eyebrows scrunched up.  “I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not,” I muttered to myself.  “The nice guy never gets the girl.”

            Sungmin started to laugh.  “You can always change that.”

            I shrugged and chuckled along with him.  There was a moment of silence.  “Are you feeling any better,” I asked, moving a piece of his hair aside.

            He nodded and looked me straight in the eye.  “Surprisingly, I’m not as hurt as I thought it would be,” he said, playing with his fingers.  “But then again, it could be that it just hasn’t hit me yet.”

            I looked into his eyes, trying to sense if he was lying to me in any way.  But before I could say anything, my phone began to ring.  I quickly picked it up.  “Hello,” I asked.  I frowned as Sungmin began to sit up.

            “Kyuhyun, you do realize what time it is, right,” a voice suddenly said over the phone.  It was Jungsu.

            Was he okay?

            I glanced down at my watch.  It’s eight o’clock.  Eight.

            Oh my god!

            I jumped up from the couch.  “Goodness,” I yelled out, searching for my coat.  “Set up the conference room and tell them that I’m stuck in traffic!  I’m so sorry!”

            Sungmin quickly ran over to me and helped me shrug on my jacket while I hung up, Jungsu muttering something about how stupid I was.  I grabbed the rest of my belongings before calmly turning around to smile at Sungmin.  “I’m sorry about this, but take your time coming into the office,” I said, gently patting him on the shoulder.

            “Thank you and I’m so sorry too,” he said, giving me a warm smile.  “I’ll bring you some coffee when I come in.”

            “Thank you,” I said, rushing towards the door, but stopped half way.  “By the way, what did you mean I was the guy from the coffee shop?”

            A slight blush made its way to his cheek.  “I’ll tell you later,” he whispered as he rushed me out of his house.

 

            “Aigoo,” I muttered, taking a seat on the couch in my office.  The meeting was, yet again, long and boring.  But at least we managed to finalize the skyscraper project.

            A quick knock came at my door before Jungsu walked in.  I gestured for him to come sit next to me, which he gladly did.  There was a moment of silence before I turned towards him and gently tugged on his chin so that he would do the same.  I looked into his eyes and noticed the slight red tint and the black circles that seemed to age him, but was carefully hidden by makeup.  “Jungsu,” I whispered, using my other hand to gently brush away his hair from his eyes.  “Talk to me.”

            With just four single words, tears started to build up in his eyes and slowly made their way down his cheeks.  “I can’t believe that what we had was a lie,” he blubbered through his tears.  “He made me fall for him so hard before to the point where we were planning to elope in the U.S.  But then he backed out a week before we were going to leave, saying that he couldn’t handle all the pressure anymore.  I thought it was because I suggested we have children so I told him we didn’t have to have any, just as long as he would stay with me!”

            I dropped my hands from his chin and gently brushed away the tears on his cheeks.  He then continued after catching his breath.  “It wasn’t until later that I found out from someone else that it was because he fell for some other guy.  I was so hurt but at the same time I knew that if our relationship had continued, it would have been worse.  So I was happy that he was happy.  Of course I still loved him, but, I was okay with letting him go.  But saying that everything we had was a lie?”

            He dropped his face into his hands and continued to sob.  I shifted closer and gently began to rub his back.  I didn’t know what to say in these situations.  Sure I was able to handle Sungmin, but he didn’t talk as much.  “I’m sorry that I wasn’t there for you last night,” I whispered.

            His cries grew louder and louder.  “I’m an idiot,” he said through his tears.  “Why does this hurt so much?  Kyuhyun, avoid your emotions for as long as you can.  There is no way that you would want to feel this.”

            Love equals hurt.  That’s what this has thought me.  But love is a big part of emotions.  Does this mean that if I obtain such feelings, I will get hurt?  Do I want this to happen to me?  I looked at the sobbing Jungsu and shook my head.  It makes you look weak and it hurts you twice as much as a punch in a gut.

            “It’s not your fault,” I whispered, continuing to rub his back.  “He’s an idiot for letting you go.”

            Jungsu’s cries slowly began to quiet down and his breathing seemed close to normal.  He dropped his hands and looked over at me.  “Really,” he whispered back, his eyes glittering with an emotion I couldn’t read.

            I nodded.  “You’re an amazing guy, I’m sure there’s a better guy out there for you.”

            He gave me a small smile and nodded in agreement.  “Thanks Kyu,” he whispered, reaching over to give me a hug.  “I’ll always love you, you know that?”

            “I love you too,” I said, tightening my hold on him.

            I didn’t notice that the door had opened until it suddenly slammed closed.  I gently let Jungsu go and gestured towards the door.  He nodded and let me go.  I quickly rushed out to see Sungmin walking towards the elevator.

            “Sungmin,” I yelled out, gently tapping his shoulder.

            He turned swiftly and abruptly, causing me to step back.  I looked into his eyes and I saw anger?  “Are you mad,” I asked, reaching for his hand.

            He pulled away and continued to glare at me.  “I was stupid,” he suddenly said, turning around again to walk towards the elevator.

            I frowned and chased after him as he pressed the elevator button.  “What do you mean,” I asked, confused.

            He turned to face me, his eyes shaking as much as his hands.  “I was stupid to believe that you could possibly…,” he exclaimed before stopping himself.  He took a deep breath.  “You don’t need to know.  I’m sorry for bursting like that.”  He turned around again to face the elevator door.

            “This isn’t nothing Sungmin,” I muttered, grabbing him by the shoulders to turn him around.  I had kept my cool, mainly because I was confused.  But this, this is starting to crack me.

            Sungmin had no emotion on his face, but tears were slowly streaming down his face, his eyes bloodshot.  How did that happen in the five seconds he turned around?  I looked into his eyes and, although the rest of his was emotionless, I saw pure sadness.  “Sungmin,” I whispered as I reached across to touch his cheeks.  He flinched but let me wipe away his tears whilst looking away from me.

            The elevator dinged.  Sungmin froze, walking towards me as to block anyone from seeing him.  I looked up and looked into the eyes of the man who started all this trouble.  His eyes widened, looking at the scene before him, softening his eyes just for a second, before looking back into my eyes and sending me a glare.  The door behind me opened and I knew Leeteuk was now watching the scene in front of him unroll.

            Kangin stepped out of the elevator and pushed Sungmin away from me, putting him far away from the scene.  I watched as his fists rose up.  Me, being incredibly stupid and slow, could only watch as his fist met my face.  The last things I heard were Sungmin and Leeteuk screaming my name.

^^^^^^^^^^

A/N:  I realized that this is so late.  Oh my goodness.  In my defense, I lost the document I was working on after I was two paragraphs away from finishing it.  Luckily, I just found it and I finished it up right now!  I hope you guys like it!

By the way, HAPPY EUNHAE DAY!

Argh…I have so many plots running through my head and I want to write them all but I don’t have time.  Boo…I hope I can finish this one soon.  I’ll try to update the other two this weekend!

Please vote, subscribe, and comment!  (And if you want to, check out my other stories)