Prologue -Faking a Smile

Til I Reach You

Prologue – Fake a Smile

           A young, fair skinned man sat at the corner of a café, staring out the window.  He was dressed in a sleek black suit with a light blue button up and a sapphire blue tie.  His legs were crossed over and his hands were wrapped around a cup of coffee, which remained untouched and was getting colder by the minute.  The light breeze from the door opening and closing would cause his short auburn hair to fly every once in a while, but it always managed to go back to its place.  He was watching person after person pass by.  It was as if he was waiting for something, but he knew nothing was coming for him. 

            Which, in way, was ironic.

            Everything came to him.  He was Cho Kyuhyun.  The next heir to the Cho Brands Corporation.  Featured in every single magazine with his dad to be the image for the company.  Presented at every possible speech to promote his supposed charisma and charm.  If he ever wanted a ‘favor’, he would only need to ask and nothing would be expected in return, because, chances were, they owed him favors.  To keep things simple, he had everything and anything he could want in the world.

            However, inside, he felt empty.  He felt as if he had no heart and no mind.  His mind always felt numb.  Always.  And his heart felt nonexistent.  He felt as if he had no feelings because everything was being controlled by his father.  He wasn’t able to make a single decision of his own because everything was done and decided for him.  Was he a robot?  Cause he certainly felt like one.

            He closed his eyes for a moment, remembering the dream he had last night.  It had been happening more and more frequently.  He was locked inside a dark room, only a small sprinkle of moonlight made its way in.  The room was completely empty except for Kyuhyun crouched in a fetal position in the corner of the room and a sharp object that only seemed to take form when he picked it up.  He would often bring said object closer and closer to his body but always woke up as soon as it touched his skin.  His brain couldn’t live through the act of actually killing himself, which he found to be extremely funny for some reason.

            However, he’s always thought of the act, wondering what the point was.  What was the point of continuing if he wasn’t living as himself?  Did he actually benefit society in any way or was he simply living to fill the empty spaces?  Fortunately, he never attempted to complete the act as he couldn’t actually bare thinking of any sharp object piercing through his skin and ending his life.

            He opened his eyes, batting away the thoughts, and continued to watch the people pass by, wondering what could possibly be so good enough to make each and every one of them smile every day.  “Why do they always look so happy,” he whispered to himself, looking down at the cold coffee in front of him.

            “Did you know that, if you smile long enough, you can actually trick your brain into thinking that you’re actually happy,” a gentle voice asked from beside Kyuhyun.  He looked up to see a blonde man holding a coffee pot, looking out the window and smiling.  The man continued.  “It really works, no matter how sad or mad you are.”

            The man had short blonde hair, which seemed to fall down to his eyes every once in a while.  His lips were pink and plump, forming a sort of m when he smiled.  His skin was as white as the winter snow in January, but had a natural shade of pink.  He was dressed in a white button up, black dress pants, and an apron, sporting a panda bear.  He flipped his hair to clear his view of the man.

            “Excuse me,” Kyuhyun coughed out, distracting the man from his gaze.  Their eyes met and Kyuhyun glanced into his deep brown eyes.  “Were you talking to me?”

            The man smiled at him.  “Well, it depends on if you want to talk or not,” the man muttered, looking down at other’s cold cup of coffee.  “Do you want a fresh cup?”

            Kyuhyun quickly looked down at his cup of coffee and debated with himself.  “Hmm, no thanks,” he said, shaking his head before looking back up at the man.

            “If I can’t get you coffee, would you mind if I gave you some words,” he asked.

            “No, please do,” he said, tilting his head in curiosity.

            What could this man possibly understand when he didn’t even know him?

            Suddenly, his phone rang, causing him to stop the blonde man from talking.  It was his father.

            “I need you back in the company,” his father said sternly.

            “Right,” he muttered.  “I’ll be there in five minutes.”

            He put down his cellphone and glanced back at the blonde man, prompting him to continue quickly.  The blonde man only sighed as he watched Kyuhyun get his coat and his bag.  Kyuhyun got to the door when the man cleared his throat to get his attention. 

            “You know, sir,” the man began, causing him to turn around and tilt his head.  “Not everyone’s life is simple.  It’s just that most people look forward to those rare moments when everything is easy and the world somehow makes sense.”

            Kyuhyun, shocked, opened his mouth to say something, but the blonde man simply shrugged and walked away.  Plus, he had to run.  He did say five minutes.  He could simply come back tomorrow and talk to him again.  But wait, what was his name again?  It escaped his thoughts as he ran towards the company to make it on time. 

 

            The next day came rather quickly.  Or, rather, every day passed by quickly for Kyuhyun.  He never really had the time to actually think enough during the day to decide whether or not he was bored.  Or if he was tired.  Or if he wanted time alone.  But something was different today.  Today, he looked forward to walking into the café to continue the conversation with the stranger from yesterday.  He wanted to know more about those rare moments.  He wanted to know if he could experience them too.  He wanted to dig into a person’s brain.  Though, he seemed to be more eager to simply just talk to the man who dared to assume that he knew him.

            As soon as he walked into the café, a warm air brushed over his face as well as the smell of coffee.  He took a seat in the same spot as yesterday, waiting for a waiter to pass by.  It wasn’t long until a red haired girl walked towards him to take his order, but he didn’t want to see her, he wanted to see the blonde man.  “Excuse me, but, would you mind sending…,” Kyuhyun paused for a second, forgetting that he didn’t know his name.  “You see, I was having a conversation with your co-worker yesterday and I wanted to continue it today.  Would you mind sending him out instead?  He had slightly long blonde hair and brown eyes.”

            “Ah, you mean him,” the waitress muttered, taking out her pad.  “I’m sorry, but yesterday was his last day here.  He was a college student and he managed to snag a job at a big time company.  He’s gone out for training for the company and won’t come back.  So, can I take your order?”

            Kyuhyun could only grunt and order his usual cup of coffee, disappointed.  But that feeling didn’t last long.  Instead, it was replaced with determination and, although he would never admit it, hope.  He finally had something he genuinely wanted in his life.

^^^^^^^^^^

A/N: And that’s where it begins…please look forward to the next installment!  (And if there’s anything wrong, please don’t hesitate to let me know)

Please comment and subscribe!  Huggles!