Chapter 12 - Marriage

Til I Reach You

Chapter 12 – Marriage

            I watched as he fidgeted.  “Sungmin, don’t be so nervous,” I said, giving him a small smile as we waited for the doors to open.

            He looked at me nervously.  “It’s just that I don’t go to too many parties like this,” he explained, playing with his hands.  “I just don’t want to mess it up.”

            I reached over and grabbed his left hand.  “Don’t worry,” I said, smiling as his shocked expression.  “If anyone is going to mess things up, it’ll be me.”

            He chuckled at the thought and looked away, the tint in his cheeks apparent.  Just then, the doors opened and I handed the butler my coat.  “The party’s in the lounge Mr. Cho,” he said, gesturing towards the huge double doors to our right.

            “Thank you Mr. Jeong,” I muttered, leading Sungmin to the doors.

            As soon as the doors opened, light jazzy music hit out ears and the smell of wine and small appetizers made its way to our noises.  The sound of somebody yelling, however, distracted from the serene enviroment.  “You know what,” a familiar voice yelled.  “There he is!  I’ll marry him!”

            Sungmin’s hands tightened around mine as I watched Siwon make his way towards us, his parents and mine watching in amusement.  Siwon’s eyes were red from anger, but as he made his way closer, his eyes changed and flickered its way down to my hands.  He quickly blocked our hands from my parents’ view and pulled us close.  “Work with me here,” he whispered, gently separating our hands and placing his hand on mine.

            The loss of contact with Sungmin made my hand feel empty.  Of course it wasn’t empty, considering the fact that Siwon had a death grip on it, but it felt like it.  I couldn’t see Sungmin’s eyes as Siwon turned us around, but something told me he wasn’t feeling too well.  Siwon met my eyes in silent pleading before turning back to our parents.  “Stop telling me to marry them,” he declared, raising my hands up with his.  “I’m marrying Cho Kyuhyun!”  I could feel the stares and the giggles, mostly from amused girls who were forced into the party by their oh so loving parents.

            “I knew it,” his mom said, clapping her hands together happily.

            My mom turned towards his and they squealed like little girls.  My father looked at me in an unamused expression before turning towards Siwon’s father.  “I guess we’ll be doing more business with each other,” he said, sticking his hand out.

            Mr. Choi stood there laughing as he shook my father’s hand.  “Glad to be doing so,” he said.

            After the exchange, the room burst into small chatter and the music got louder.  I turned towards Siwon.  “You and me.  Outside.  Right now,” I growled, trying to keep my voice low.  I turned towards Sungmin.  “I’m sorry, I’ll be right back.”

            With that, I dragged Siwon out of the room.  We walked far enough so that no one could see us before punching him on the shoulder.  “Ouch,” he yelled out, trying to comfort his shoulder.  “What was that for?”

            “Well, what was that for,” I asked, pointing towards the party.  “Now they think we’re going to get married!  My parents are going to kill me if they find out you were just joking!”

            He scoffed.  “It wouldn’t be too bad to marry me,” he declared, looking at me with saddened eyes.  “But, I know you’re taken.”

            I shook my head.  “I’m not taken,” I muttered, rubbing my hands together.  “But it wouldn’t be right to marry you if I don’t love you.”

            His eyes widened.  “Wait, so you’re not with Sungmin?”

            Oh, wait.  I mentally slapped myself.  “I-I’m not with Sungmin,” I muttered looking down at the floor.  “But I…”

            He clapped his hands together, not letting me finish my sentence.  “Then give me a shot,” he said, grasping my hands again.  “I told you I’d wait for you.”

            I heard the door slam close, but I completely ignored it, figuring that the person might just go to the bathroom.  I squeezed his hands.  “Siwon, you’re my best friend,” I started, giving him a soft look.  His eyes darkened, knowing where this was going.  “You didn’t let me finish before and I think you should know first hand.”

            He let go of my hands and stepped back, staring down at the floor.  “What,” he asked, barely above a whisper.

            “Sungmin confessed and I asked him to wait for me,” I whispered, stepping closer to him.  I used my hands to tilt his head back up to meet my eyes.  “Please don’t wait any longer for me because I don’t want you to wait for something that you know deep down won’t happen.”

            He shook my hand away, but continued to look into my eyes.  “Then why are you letting him wait?”

            I looked at him and my heart sank as his eyes changed into multitudes of emotions, but I knew I had to tell him.  “Because I think I might actually be falling for him,” I whispered, keeping my stand. 

            There was silence, neither one of us daring to speak as we let my words hang in the air. 

            Siwon took a deep breath.

            And then he gave me a smile.  “It took you long enough,” he said, reaching over to give me a pat on the back.  “But know that if it doesn’t turn out right, I’ll be here.”

            I gave him a smile in return.  “I know, thank you,” I said, sighing.

            He pulled away.  “I’ll tell them both in the morning,” he said.  “At least it’ll keep them and the girls off my back tonight.”  With that, he left and walked back into the party.

            I felt myself collapse onto the floor.  “Oh shisus, I hope no one heard that,” I whispered, running my fingers through my hair.

^^^^^^^^^^

A/N:  You have no idea how sorry I am.  I believe that this is version three out of four that I’ve re-written.  For some apparent reason, I just couldn’t write this chapter.  I couldn’t and I felt so bad about it.  There was a point tonight where I was just like “Man, I should just choose the best and post it”.  I really hope you guys don’t hate it, especially since it’s so short.  It was just…difficult…to say the least.

I also just came back from a six day road trip…and school just started so…it’s been bad and busy…but hopefully inspiration will hit me again.  I know how I want the story to go, the problem is simply getting it out.  So, I am terribly sorry…

HOWEVER!  It doesn’t mean this is the final product.  I want to make a few tweaks to it.  Therefore, I shall notify you all when I fix this chapter.  If you comment, I will personally notify you as I’m not sure if replacing a chapter counts as an update…

Again, I am so sorry…