Brothers

From a box with love
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Hello, Hye" he smiled. 

Oh. wow. 

"Hi there..." I muttered quite dazzled and ow. My head was pulsing  with pain. 

The auburn just smiled wider. 

"What do you mean he keeps them in his bag though!?" I said while slowly getting up to just fall back on the bed. I couldn't  get a concussion from that, could I ?

"No you don't  have  a concussion, Hye...Just a dangerous condition of clumsiness"

"Gee, thanks-"

"And I think he keeps  them as charms against the 'ghost', you know..."

"What gho- Oh. I hope Baekhyun knows he owes my brother his mental  health." I sneered.

"And you owe him his, I believe" he stated while climbing on the bed. I side glanced at him. There was something different in the way he looked or I just had forgotten how he was supposed to look like. Three weeks of-

"Sorry..."

"Mmh?"

"We only wanted to understand what was going on..."

"You disappeared. That jerk wouldn't tell me anything." I paused. "Anything!" I stressed again.

He patted my thigh. What am I? A dog? Was that supposed  to soothe me, now? 

He freezed mid action. 

"It didn't work, Luhan." I laid with my back down  on  the mattress and put my arm over my eyes. "Either it wasn't me or Baekhyun....Or both."

"Then it was me." He softly whispered. "Or Lay, Chanyeol and Kai"

I stiffened. But...

"Hye." 

That sounded suspiciously serious. Did something bad happen with them? Were they ok-

"Hyejin, stop over thinking"

"Then stop foreshadowing something awful with that grave tone! 'Hye'" I mimicked "actually" I coughed "Lu." 

He cracked a smile but it turned bitter too soon.

"I am being serious Hye, please"

I groaned, I knew. 

"I don't  know  what it's better for you and us right now. Baekhyun-"

I removed my arm to glare at him.

"-he is probably your safest alternative -Shh, listen- Since nothing did happen it means you both will be safe. I don't  know about the others but... Whatever the reason, there IS something weird happening. Something that wasn't supposed  to happen and that even Lay can't understand-"

Speaking of Lay...

"He is fine. You just became a lot more fascinating, you know?" 

I couldn't stop my lips from curving up but my insides constricted uncomfortably. 

"Anyway."

There was uneasiness all over his face, he was slightly squinting while keeping his eyes low. it didn't take a genius to know I wouldn't  have liked the news. 

"Is this a goodbye, Cockroach?" I intercepted.

He freezed and seemed not to be able to come up with a proper answer. The longer it took for him to reply, the more appalled I was. 

"I... " He swallowed "...No."

Sensing he wasn't done I didn't dare hoping for the better. Even though I didn't  know what that 'better' was. 

 

 

"Stop seeing Kai."

What. 

"What are  you talkin-"

"I know you are seeing him." he brought his gaze up, finally meeting my eyes. Decisiveness embedded in his amber ones. "Baekhyun knows." he added as an afterthought, anticipating me.

How-

"A brother always knows" he bitterly admitted.

Ok, not following. 

"Baekhyun always knew. Why do  you think he was so pissed?"

Woah there, hold on. The 'how's' were beyond me, per usual. But why in the first place was he telling me? I mean, thanks. however it didn't change the fact I really couldn't stop Kai from kidnapping me...

Then curiosity striked me, for being brothers they surely didn't look alike. 

"Baekhyun and Kai are-?"

"Brothers, yes."

My brain processed their faces in search of similarities but as it was going in overdrive, because the more I tried to the more I concluded it was bulls- I realized that, yes, it could  be true.

"They do have sh-" Luhan glared. "I mean, they both are..." I stopped looking for a nice term to describe them. "...stubborn?"

This revelation was mind blowing. Brothers, for screaming out! From what universe did they come? Where could that be possible?

 

Luhan kindly  ignored  my reverie.

"As I was trying to-"

Perhaps aliens were born with completely random features. For all I knew, their current appearance could be fake. I frowned then intently studied my interlocutor who immediately felt.betrayed.

"Yes, Hye. This is my real face." He made a face " No, I am not lying. What do you mean 'true forms?' Who told you that? No- Why woul-? I am SO NOT a chibi! " He growled. 

Well. 'Chibi' was a Japanese slang word for 'short or little person' so- 

"Oww!" I squealed as I rubbed my nose that had been hit by a flying book. "That's cheating! I can't retaliate with telekinesis!"

The friendly banter ended when Luhan's mock frown was replaced by a real one. 

"Doesn't mean I can't retaliate at all tho?" I poked his side. He gently  patted my hand away.

Way to go, woman.

A tense silence

Please log in to read the full chapter