Unlikely

From a box with love
Please log in to read the full chapter

Awkward.

I was never  a fan of the blonde alien with a raspy  voice and the feeling had always  been mutual so the currently strained silence out of forced politeness was just that. Awkward.

Bless the skies I was driving so I had the excuse of focussing on the street not to start a conversation and for better measures I decided to extinguish any possibility of communication by turning on the radio.

After messing  with a few buttons I finally  found a station that transmitted calm and relaxing piano music. 

One and half minute in I knew the one on the passenger seat had been judging me for one minute and twentynine seconds. Hard.

The noise couldn't cover the loudness of our communicative silence. 

I really hadn't mean to rub him the wrong  way; I had been nice enough not to talk and initiate a discussion for a record of fifteen minutes but we just didn't click.

"I say we change frequency".

At least he kind of told me in advance before effectively tuning the radio an a very upbeat pop song.

"How nice of you to ask for permission" I didn't manage not to mumble. 

"You're  welcome" he smiled while dancing to the rhythm. 

Oh boy.  Why him.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

'Control master' my sock and a ragged shoe. 

 

The polite silence accord lasted only three days. It broke when the guy decided he couldn't live without expressing himself verbally. 

It escalated to him expressing more then I liked, resulting in me retaliating with a cold shoulder which later escalated in little vengeful acts.

Two weeks of me and him under a rooftop and things weren't faring that well.

 

"That's just a cucumber, BaekHyun."

"Well, I don't like it."

"Not my problem. Feel free  to starve yourself. See if I care."

I did care though. I had been serving him cucumbers for five days straight. I had to admit he had been resilient enough because cucumbers. Ugh. 

He glared at the green stuff on his plate. 

"Bring me something else"

"Go take it yourself."

"I swear-"

"What?"

His right eye twitched. 

"You are a bi-"

"Watch it, Bae-blonde"

"-t careless, I can be dangerous when famished."

"What's your power anyway?" I snorted. "Being a lightbulb of some sort?"

"Watch it, Hye-na-jin."

I pulled a face and headed for my room, leaving the alien to his devices.

"Clean after yourself, will you?"

"Sure." he answered with sugary voice. 

 

Then the lights went off.

 

***

 

 

 

"You know, Jinnie. I am starting to believe there must be some sort of a... presence in here..."

I put my book down and threw a questioning look at my older  brother, munching deliberately slower on my chips and raising an eyebrow.

" Sure" I smiled "Perhaps it has a name and dyes his hair blonde, even"

"Hyejin... I'm being serious. I had to call a technician for the electric.circuit in the house twice. I paid him just to be told there is nothing wrong." he lamented "Then why are we currently using candles to light  up this place?!"

"I thought we liked it like this better?" I faked surprise.

"Urghh" Taehyung tugged  on  his hair and stomped outside.

 

***

 

 

After three weeks of petty fights and serious crashes of opinions, we came to the point where we considered insults to be greetings. Verbal  attacks didn't retain an effect anymore and neither did all those act of vengeance. Taehyung had given  up trying to fix the lights in the flat, preferring  to just flee and, his words, to call him 'when the ghost isn't angry anymore'

Anger either wasn't my trigger or it hadn't  been me since the start.

Or.

Baekhyun was effectively the most skilled in controlling his powers. 

Whatever the reason, it was starting  to  be blatantly evident the current set up had been pointless. (Not that I hadn't expected a different turn out of events, even  though...Admittedly, my scenario had been more drastic with deaths and explosions. But anyway.)

 

I missed the others since they had cut  off all direct interactions  with me and the blondie did a poor job in trying  to be a decent company or a good source of informations. 

 

"Bacon?" I called upon stumbling inside the flat. kicking my luggage aside. 

"Oi, Ghost?" 

He probably wasn't there I concluded. However that didn't stop him from not messing up with me. Giving  up, I fixed myself a quick toast and enjoyed it in the blackness of my kitchen.

Weird power he had. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around it because it wasn't easy to pinpoint exactly what he could or couldn't control. The lights were off, again, but there was power. Refrigerator, heathers, the washing  machi

Please log in to read the full chapter