Vinth. 7

Vinth.

 

Vinth. 7.

 

Zeke sees the changes in no time. As someone who has been working for the Shims’ for long meaningful years and as one of the trusted assistants for the Shim, he notices it right away. He’s stunned at first, not really believing what’s happening though he and some other senior butlers have seen the odd tell tales, then when he’s convinced and confirmed it’s the thing, he’s in denial. He struggles to see how he would deal with it. It’s so obvious that even the class two servants would realize and gape wide at it.

Their master, Shim the third, is helplessly in love with a servant. A low rank (the lowest) at that too. And, the good (or bad, depends on how you see it) part of it is; the servant doesn’t even bother to see it. Zeke couldn’t imagine that someday, if it works (he doesn’t know whether he wishes it to work well or to fail really bad), it means that he has to pledge his service to Hanxi for the rest of his life. Zeke doesn’t mind the working as Hanxi’s servant part, it’s his fate to bow down at anyone taken into the Shims’ manor as the additional Shims’ family member but.. he does mind how he would face Hanxi after all the bad harsh treatment he did to Hanxi before. Until now, Zeke still has problem looking at Hanxi in the eye. And now with Changmin is in love with that servant..

And then there’s Shim the second. Madam Shim too. He’s so screwed up!

      “You are requested in Lord Shim’s reading room now. Just leave your chore and please follow me to see him. Kwoonie will take care of it.”

Hanxi’s defiant eyes are clearly saying no. He doesn’t want to. Zeke could do nothing but wait there till Hanxi washes his hand then goes with him to see Changmin.

      “Did I do something wrong?”

Zeke has no answer to it. “Please follow me.”

Eyes are all secretly on them knowing that their Shim junior summoning the subject of his heart interest. Zeke’s glaring warning eyes don’t do much reminding them to mind their own business.

      “Come in.”

Zeke opens the door for Hanxi. He’s about to close it when Changmin’s voice calls him. “You are too, Zeke.”

Uh? He’s in the room too? Zeke closes the door from inside, standing far behind Hanxi who looks a bit upset at their master.

      “Zeke will take you to palace today.”

Zeke is the surprised one. “I beg your pardon, sire?”

Changmin shoves a roll of parchment onto Hanxi. “Your sentenced days are fulfilled by today. I have notified your personal servant to prepare for your arrival.”

Hanxi ignores the parchment. “It’s the thirty first day today, sir. I have four days ahead to do.”

      “There’s a situation in the palace. All carrels and carrelitas are expected to be well prepared for it. No exception. Your days are considered done here. The carrel registrar has called up on you to see your duties as soon as this parchment reaches you.”

Hanxi takes the parchment, unrolls the paper, and reads it. “I see.” He bows his head. “I would finish my chores first before taking my leave.”

      “Hansol is already on the way, Hanxi. Zeke will help you packing up now so you could leave off as soon as Hansol comes.”

      “I would really appreciate it if I do the packing up myself, Sir.”

      “Alright.” Changmin turns to Zeke. All smiles and playful eyes. “I have to go to the royal defense quarter now. Would you see to it that carrel Hanxi reaches his chamber safely?”

      “I’m capable of going back without extra burden, sir.”

      “I’m talking to my personal assistant here, carrel Hanxi.” Changmin smiles wider. “I believe you have a packing up to do.”

Hanxi looks away in annoyed face. Zeke scratches his hair out of awareness.

--

Junsu should have known it’s not as simple as it seems. He steps inside his assigned chamber wishing he would have some little time to think over everything before today but as soon as Hansol closes the main chamber door, he hears knocking sound. Hansol knocks his bedroom door five minutes later asking his permission to open a package delivered to him.

It’s set of well tailored white outfit, brown summer coat, dark blue-green grand cape, prime selected cotton black-silver scarf and another set of exquisite accessories Junsu doesn’t even know what for what.

      “There’s a card.” Hansol holds out an envelope.

Junsu gives him a look. “You can read very well.”

Hansol grins as he tears open the envelope reading the content in teasing tone. ‘See you at dinner, if not soon.’

      “You can bring all of them home.” Junsu points to the laid gifts before them. “I need sleep. God, how I miss my bed.” He walks fast to the main chamber. “If there’s any joking package dancing in again, just take them home with you. All of them.”

      “But they are all so pretty.”

      “Hansol.” Junsu scowls in irritation. “Either bring them home or throw them away. I have those unopened gifts from royal consort stuffing the wardrobe already. I don’t need more gifts cramping in my chamber.”

That’s because you never care opening the annual gift given by the royal consort Kim Jaejoong. All carrel and carrelitas receive one or two gifts from the royal consort every year. The other carrels/carrelitas anticipate them but Hanxi..

Yeah. Hansol knows that Hanxi is weird. No sweat.

 

      “Someone is really looking for trouble.” Jonghyun mutters as Changmin leaves them walking to the corner of the Royal Jasmine chamber. “Does he really have this servant curse or what? Hanxi just left his house today and now he’s ditching friends and meal for another royal servant. God help I don’t wanna see this, please.”

Prince Song Qian and her man, Cho Kyuhyun, cackle at the irritated warrior. “Easy, paw. He might just need something.”

      “Yeah right. Need a servant to mess up. I swear his head is swapped with socks somewhere during his healing center day. look at him now, look! He’s humiliating himself in public buzzing over that royal servant. Servant again.” Jonghyun deadpans hard.

      “Where?” Kyuhyun longs his neck to look better amidst the flock of people having dinner. It’s Friday night where many royal figures and officials would gather for casual dinner or exchange hot news. Royal Jasmine chamber is usually filled with people on Friday night. They don’t come merely to have dinner served by the palace on that particular evening as most of them make appearance there to hang out with fellow colleagues or meet up with friends having good laugh and good time. it’s an unofficial tradition since ages ago and well –kept till today.

      “That one?” Princess Song joins her husband longing her neck to see Changmin’s figure talking to someone. They couldn’t see it clearly due to the crowd mobility walking casually around them.

      “That’s Changmin.” Kyuhyun points his finger at one spot in the corner.

      “Yes. That’s him.” Song Qian confirms. “But that.. Would you move a bit to your left?” She nudges her husband. “That’s better. Thank you, Kyu.”

Jonghyun stabs his fork onto the meat moodily. Changmin initiated this meet up dining in the palace yet now that ungrateful friend of his is busy baring his teeth at a royal servant. *****!!!

      “That’s not a servant, Jonghyun.”

      “Whatever.” Jonghyun is not interested at all.

      “That’s a carrel. A white one. You see, royal servant has an embroiled flower and sword pattern on their sleeves based on their rank but the person Changmin is talking to wears plain long sleeve. He must be a white carrel judging from his attire and no accessories worn on his appearance.”

Jonghyun’s head lifts up so fast in race with his widened eyes. “Carrel?” He follows Song Qian’s eyes direction. “Oh! Oohh! Oookaaayy!”

 

Changmin let’s his toothy grin pasted on his face as he stands right before the white carrel he’s been seeking for since he entered the royal chamber. “You made it here.”

Junsu’s face says what the **** are you doing here. Go away. “Good evening, sir.” He bows politely. “Are you enjoying your dinner?” He steps one foot back smoothly undetected by the others but Changmin sees it well. Junsu is giving open space for his fellow carrels and carrelitas beside him who are now flooding Changmin with smiles and eyes in all kind and interests. So this is how Junsu manages to be unseen. He wears simple plain color clothes that coincidentally (Changmin thinks it’s junsu’s trick) looks so alike with the royal servants’ outfit for tonight. He stands with the other white carrel and carrelitas ready to contribute their charms for giving pleasant evening to whoever royal figures takes interest in them (white carrel is the least wanted or requested unless one is extremely eye catching or popular) yet Junsu stands the closest to the on duty guards positioned on every corner and the entrance doors (there are six) which perfectly gives him full advantages being mistaken as one of royal servant. Changmin has to fix that soon.

      “I hope so.” Changmin steps forward closer to the white carrel he wants announcing who he desires as his company. Junsu’s eyes are now very similar to cats whose favorite food is being hidden on purpose, flaring and calculating how to claw. Changmin really likes what those eyes reveal. “I’m not that fond of the dessert selection for tonight. Do you think you could recommend something sweet and tasty?”

Junsu has two option. One; he accompanies Changmin to the dessert buffet like he’s supposed to do as carrel, and, two; he tells changmin to just pick any available dessert by himself and get lost to the sea forever. He’s very tempted to try option number two hasn’t he remembered that his fellow carrel and carrelitas are watching him in full blown attention. It’s the first time one high profile royal official goes straight to him. He’s usually just stands there till most of the white carrels are on duty that he has to do his too. And not alone. Hanxi is always performing in twos or threes and always be the quietest of them that all royal figures or royal guest never takes a second look at him anymore. This is the first time.

      “I’m not really sure about the sweet and tasty one, Sir.”

      “You haven’t tasted them yet?” Changmin arches his eyebrow. “Have you actually had eaten something?”

More eyes are paid to them. Even the guards who just stand and watch in well-coated bored look are now watching them in interest. Junsu really hates Changmin for it, attention in any royal chamber during his duty hour is the last thing he needs.

      “Would you mind risking your taste with my suggestion?” Junsu steps forward admitting defeat. “But I’m afraid my choice doesn’t meet your standard, Sir.”

      “Let’s see how good your choice is.” Changmin’s smug look is hard not to be seen. Junsu walks in careful steps knowing that now more eyes are following his every move. One or two mistake is enough to put him into another discipline trial. The life of the lowest rank of a carrel.

      “Are you okay with mango?”

      “I don’t know.” Changmin is all into it. “Why don’t you try it first and tell me how it tastes?”

Junsu looks like he’s about to say something but instead, he fetches a small saucer and a tea spoon. The servant helps him scooping the mango pudding onto the saucer. Junsu spoons the pudding, brings it to his mouth, chews, swallows, and smiles. “It’s sweet. A bit sour but smooth and cooling.”

      “How about that panache?” Changmin grins. He loves seeing all the small gestures Junsu does. All of it. from getting the saucer till smiling (perfectly trained) at him though he knows the smile is a part of the duty.

      “This one?”

      “Yes. I’m not really sure about the color. Is it chocolate?”

One servant steps in explaining that it’s indeed white chocolate. Junsu repeats his deed of tasting the panache for the assistant general.

Changmin makes Junsu taste five different menus before he settles with mango pudding. Junsu bows at him indicating his accomplished deed but Changmin coughs hard suddenly that the white carrel has to get water for him. The cough reduces but now Changmin demands Junsu to pick the drink for him saying the mango after taste can’t be cleansed by only water.

They are walking to the beverages counter when Junsu decides it’s not worth it. His fellow carrels have lost their interest on them after five minutes and nothing happened. So have other people who send them curious look before.

      “I really don’t know what kind of drink you like, sir.” He says on their half way to the beverages counter across the dessert buffet. They have to stride across the wide royal Jasmine hall to get there. “I suggest you could do better without my company.”

      “I need the company more than the drink.”

      “Then I would be very honored to bring you to meet one of my nicest fellow carrelitas.”

      “No thanks. You are doing it fine.”

I’m not fine with it, Junsu mutely shouts at the assistant general. What do you want?

Changmin gets the muted shout alright. “I see now why I haven’t seen you in the palace before, Kim Junsu.”

Junsu freezes. He doesn’t expect Changmin would call his real name here in the open.

Changmin also stops walking. “Why? Did I say something bad, Junsu?”

      “Stop it!”

      “I like your real name better.”

      “Please stop it, sir.”

      “Shim Changmin for you.” Changmin walks past the upset white carrel. “Let’s pick our drink, shall we, carrel Hanxi?”

For five brief seconds Changmin catches glints of sharpened sword on Junsu’s eyes. He still likes it.

      “Why are doing it to me?” Junsu drops down all the rules he must do on his carrel duty. “I’m not your servant anymore.”

      “Exactly.” Changmin can’t agree more. “You are not. You are a carrel now.”

      “What do you want?” Junsu hisses trying hard not to punch the smug off of Changmin’s face.

      “Your company. what else? Your duty is giving company, isn’t it?” Changmin gets two glasses and hands them to the bowing servants. “One mary. One Ginger tea.” The servant quickly fills the glasses and returns it to Changmin. He puts the ginger tea to Junsu’s hand. “Drink.”

Junsu struggles not to throw the drink onto Changmin’s face.

      “I’m okay with you hating me.” Changmin sips the wine a little. “I mean no harm on you, I swear. I just want your company. That’s all.”

Junsu drinks the tea up in one go.

      “Why hiding?”

Junsu really wishes the dinner ended by now. “I’m not hiding.”

      “Ten years in Cair. Hardly no record written. The first and second year only. one when you came with the other Kims and one when you joined the army recruited training. I just found your name written three times in the record.”

Junsu could say nothing. It’s like he’s skinned off of his being.

      “Even your Hanxi record is amazing. Two and half years struggling to get through official pass as white carrel. Five years in same white rank. Are you espionage agent or what?”

Junsu ignores the assistant general. His eyes hang on the slowly ticking seconds on the square royal clock chanting hurry end hurry end hurry end in his head with all his might.

Changmin can’t just end the game without second round. “Care for some fresh air walk outside?”

Junsu shows how badly he wants to leave his duty. Changmin has to do something soon or he’ll have to try harder next Friday evening.

      “Oh look. The ever beautiful royal consort Kim is here.” Changmin thanks his lucky star. “We shall go greet him.”

He knows Junsu freezes again besides him. He knows Junsu doesn’t want to meet Jaejoong. He doesn’t mean to manipulate or blackmail Junsu but for now it’s all he could pull to keep Junsu close to him. “I’ll give my greeting.” He slowly moves toward Jaejoong’s direction. “The royal consort smiles less and less these days. Perhaps if he meets one of his Kim peopl-

      “Let’s go get that goddamn fresh air walk!!”

The smile on Changmin face is so bright as Junsu drags him out of the Jasmine chamber. Yes. Junsu drags him. Junsu’s hand just grabbed his; pulling it with force ensuring Changmin isn’t making any inch step closer  toward Jaejoong. Changmin waves his free hand at Jonghyun when he is dragged past the three royal figures’ table. Jonghyun gapes at the sight. Song qian and kyuhyun turn their head in time to see Changmin’s back disappear through the south door.

      “That was fast.” Kyuhyun comments. “He should learn not to look that stupid though. Who is it again? Hanxi?”

      “Please don’t let it be Shim Hanxi. That would be a hell of a disaster.”

--

      “Carrel Hanxi isn’t present, Sir.” Hansol informs the assistant general. “He said he would visit the royal library until four pm. would you like me to deliver any message to him?”

      “It’s alright.” Changmin is disappointed. He makes time from the Arena to go to the white carrel wing in the palace before going to Yoochun’s manor but the white carrel isn’t here. “I’ll see him next time.”

Hansol closes the door in apologetic look. Hanxi is good at disappearing. He disappears at times and returns right before his duty hour starts.

 

Junsu jumps off onto the ground from the third tree’s branch closest to solid earth. It’s fifteen minutes to four. He must head back or that stealing servant robe case will happen again. He winds Hansol’s servant robe over his back, pulls the hoodie lower than his eyes as he walks in quick light steps to the palace. He bows at every guard he meets. He nods at every servant walking to his direction. He hastens his steps as he approaches the main gate to the palace intending to go straight to his chamber.

      “There you are.”

Junsu stops dead on his track. Someone holds his arm and turns him around to face the hand’s owner. “Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.”

The carrel’s wide round eyes are really enthralling. Changmin tags his catch to the nearest guard post sensing the frozen shocked form he’s holding firmly.

      “I need this servant to help me fetch a white carrel I’ve sent outside for defense force matter.”

The guards produce paper and ink in hurry.

      “Nevermind the servant’s name.” Changmin waves off the first paper. “I might need him to do errands for the carrel. Please notify the carrel registrar that carrel Hanxi is needed in the Golden Lion squad.”

      “Right, Sire.”

      “I’m not sure when he’ll be back though. Tell them to hold on all carrel Hanxi’s duty till he’s available in his chamber again.”

The frozen shocked one in servant robe slowly breathes better. Changmin releases his hold to sign the required paper. He turns his head at the half hooded man flashing out a satisfied smile. “Shall we? Your carrel must be waiting for us.”

 

      “So that’s how you were caught and accused stealing servant’s robe?”

      “I didn’t steal it.” Junsu denies. “Hansol agreed giving it to me.”

      “Not technically but yes you’re stealing time from the palace going outside.”

      “Time isn’t owned but by God.” Junsu scoffs. “I did all my duties on time. I don’t steal anything.”

      “Going out under servant disguise for none knows how long and where? What if something bad happens to you?”

      “It’s not stealing, Sir. it’s called sneaking out.”

      “It’s still against the law.”

      “The only time I was in danger outside palace is when I was requested to be in one private bed chamber of someone drunk and angry.”

      “You really know best how to rub off on someone’s guilt, don’t you?” Changmin glares at his company. “I mean it, Kim carrel. What if something bad happens to you and none knows about it? Or it’s been too late when they find out you’ve been missing from the palace?”

      “Unlikely.” The carrel argues. “The palace has more than enough carrels and carrelitas that missing one low rank carrel wouldn’t hit them at all. Well, perhaps Hansol would comb places to places looking for me.”

      “Are you aware of what you’ve just said?”

      “Yes.”

      “You don’t mind you get trapped in life and death situation? Not valuing your own life?” Changmin is so angry his nails might cut his palm.

      “Some things are worth risking for, sir. I know the consequences of my action. I’ve been risking it for years. Thank you.”

      “Don’t risk it anymore.” Changmin’s voice is shaky. “If you want to go outside palace, if you want to go to places, anywhere in Cair, just tell me. I’ll take you there!”

Junsu brings his eyes crossing Changmin’s furious imperative dark brown eyes. “There’s a place I really want to go.” He exhales slow covering the seeping pain in his inside. “I doubt you could ever take me there.”

      “Where?” Changmin demands. “Where is it?”

      “My mama’s graveyard.”

Changmin is shut silent.

--

Silence is something you can’t avoid when you need it the least or you can call out when you are desperate of it. Jaejoong can’t help feeling lonely. Yunho is fully occupied by the politic slash economy unpredictable dynamic and by his now clingy queen.

Has it started? The days of being the shadow of his status as royal consort? The days when he has to smile all the time for anything because that’s the only thing he’s good at? Or the days where he has to step in the corner to give enough room for Cair in his relationship with Yunho?

      “Be patient.” Claudia mildly squeezes the royal consort’s hand. “It will pass. Soon.”

      “Are we sharing the same thoughts?” Jaejoong asks.

Claudia snorts. “Must I relay it to public? The royal queen is showing off her claws to the world. She wants apple, she gets apple. You are the wine. Any fruit is invalid when a bottle of fine wine is poured into glass. Let the apple has her days. One can’t possibly eat apple all day all the time.”

      “One can’t drink all day all the time either.”

      “But one will want a glass or wine from time to time. Not all the time but one at a time in all essential times in one’s life.”

      “Apple is healthy.”

      “But can’t keep you warm in winter. It dies sooner in summer too while wine keeps you high.”

      “Drunk people are bad, you know.”

      “But they say honest things when they’re drunk.”

      “I choose wine.” Heechul comes out of nowhere. “no offense, I love apple. It’s red, daring, juicy, healthy and the fruit of eden. It’s the representative of temptation and passion.”

Claudia laughs at the little speech. “And wine?”

      “Wine is like sea of our world. It’s clear and calm one time but it’s wild and destructive another time. Your tongue will dance at the touch of it. Your throat will taste the softest tip of fire when you swallow it. Your inside will swirl like crashing high tide. Definitely wine.”

Claudia claps her hand saluting Heechul’s monologue.

      “Long time no see, girls.” Heeechul kisses Claudia’s cheek. “You are getting more and more dangerous every day, baby golden.”

      “Said the man who rocks any chamber he’s in and charms any living creature he wants just by flagging his pinky finger.” Claudia kisses back. “What brings you here? Siwon is busy with the elder league again?”

      “Cheer up, baby throne.” Heechul kisses Jaejoong’s head. “Don’t waste your pretty face moping over something useless. We all know Yunho lost his marble in your pocket.”

Jaejoong has to laugh for that. “You are always as sassy as ever, darling chullie.”

      “I am.” Heechul flips his hair. “I miss you guys. Been a long time us the Kims could gather together and diss on this Cair land.”

      “Yes. Been a long time actually.”

      “When was it? um..  wait. I know! Yunho’s royal wedding with Ara!”  Claudia exclaims. “We are all sitting in one table eating and drinking till morning.

      “Four years ago. Wow. I didn’t think time would run so fast.”

      “We might soon gather again. Once the royal child is announced to the world, there’ll be huge blast of festivity. Might last for days.”

      “I doubt it will be that soon.” Heechul snickers. “I saw Yunho’s longing eyes looking at you over and over whenever he sat with Ara for too long.”

      “you and your imagination.” Jaejoong tsks. “We don’t need big royal occasion to gather. Pick a day where everyone is available then let’s meet.”

      “Sounds good to me.” Claudia agrees.

      “You just want to flaunt how fabulous you are now, baby golden.”

      “Everyone of the Kims is fabulous.” Claudia remarks. “Royal consort Kim Jaejoong. Your highness consort Kim Heechul. Golden carrelita Kim Claudia. Silver carrel Kim Kibum, Kim Dasoom, Kim Ah joong. Special carrel Kim Tae Hee, Kim Hyuna, Kim Ryeowook, first rank golden warrior Kim HyunJoong. First rank silver warrior Kim Soo Hyun. Second rank silver warrior Kim KyuJoong. We are all rock!”

      “Class one sentenced servant Kim Junsu.”

The glass in Jaejoong’s hand slips and crashes against the floor. Claudia gasps long for more than a minute.

      “Kim Junsu? A servant? Where did you see him???!! Jaejoong.. I mean, we’ve been looking for him all over the palace yet we couldn’t find him. How did you-

      “I saw him in the Arena last week.” Heechul isn’t affected by his two shocked fellow Kims. “He’s awful, I must say. Skinny, untended, there’re traces of bruises all over his skin, still as quiet as how I remember him.”

The other two Kims are speechless.

      “You will not find him anywhere in the palace. He’s sentenced to class one servant in one of the high profile grand officials’ manor.”

      “What was he doing in the Arena?”

      “Forced to join the training. Siwon said he’s in discipline motion because of disobedience.”

      “Good Lord have mercy.” Claudia holds her chest. “We have to help him, Jaejoong.”

      “I’m not sure.” Jaejoong is being honest. “Yunho is busy nowadays. I couldn’t just come and ask him for a favor. He will ask a lot of things about Junsu which I don’t even know the answers how.”

      “I have requested Siwon to find out in whose manor he’s in.” Heechul informs. “Siwon said I had to wait a little till this overseas traders and merchants thingy cool down a bit.”

      “I’ll see what I can do.” Claudia huffs. “I know several people in royal secretary department. They sure could help a bit.”

      “You know so many people, baby golden. Who doesn’t kneel down groveling on your feet? All goodies in Cair knows you.”

But prince Park Yoochun doesn’t even look at me, Claudia flicks that thought off her mind.

      “Speaking about the gathering, do you remember what that old oracle woman told us on our journey to Cair?”

      “Huh? What woman?”

      “Oracle woman, baby golden.” Heechul tsks. “She foresaw our future in Cair, remember? She didn’t particularly mention or point who what how but looking at it again, most of her words have been proven true.”

Jaejoong’s brain slowly conjures the memory of their long journey from Malthveck to Cair. They were teenagers. Heechul was the oldest of them all. Dasoom was the youngest. The oracle was an old wrinkly woman with barely teeth hanging in her blackened mouth. She sat in the corner of the huge royal ship, slept most of the time and got the widest space of all the ship’s passengers. Even the royal ship crews were cautious and wary of her. They let her do whatever she wanted as long as she didn’t talk in hair raising shriek. One day, perhaps on the fifth day of their days on the sea, she suddenly woke up from her long sleep and sat straight eyes scrutinizing the people around her. Jaejoong was really scared of the old woman.

Out of nothing, she began to shriek as her hand moved in the air in weird pattern jaejoong thought she was calling dark force to eat them up.

      “Born as a clan under the blessing of rich land and rainbow sky. Selected and brought to a kingdom housing prosperity, wealth and carries the power of volcano mountains. One will hold capture the ruler’s heart. Three would rise as the tall golden fortress of the kingdom. One will be granted with envious love of life. Three would be showered in their own kingdom inside kingdom. Three would grace the kingdom with the looks and gifts of a queen on their own ruling people’s heart. One will either tear down the kingdom into ashes or rise up to stairs of heaven.”

Her old skinny wrinkled all bone and skin hand slowly directed to the Kims. The fingers rolled and twisted whenever she started with one and three.

      “Be it true or changed, let the time reveal. Bless your young hearts. Bless your future lives.”