Vinth. 14

Vinth.

 

 

 Vinth. 14

 

A year and seven months later.

Three soldiers push the tall twin door open revealing one tall semi thin figure by its frame. The figure stops in the door covering hand over his eyes from direct sunlight at noon. His eyes are squinted to adjust with the surrounding, standing still for a while on his spot before walking forward leaving the building gate.

A person in butler robe rushes to greet the tall man handing big satchel and another heavy bag.

      “Zeke. You don’t have to wait for me. I’m not going back to the Shims’ manor.”

The servant bows his body before the man. “I’m very much aware of your decision, my lord. I’ve decided the same for myself too.”

      “Father will fire you.”

      “Already fired last year when I paid you a visit, my lord.” Zeke replies solemnly.

      “I hope you won’t regret your decision.”

      “I wouldn’t, sire.”

They walk away from Cair royal prison awkwardly. They barely walk for about twenty meters when three men hop down from their horses not far from them.

      “Someone finally can’t refuse to see our faces anymore.” Commander Ji Changwook throws himself into open wide hug. “I thought you are dead or what inside there.”

      “Yeah.” Prince Il Woo joins the hug. “My royal badge can’t even grant me to slap this big rock headed man.”

      “Look at you, Min.” Jonghyun, second rank royal defense official as well as first rank prime warrior, locks the group hug. “Tsk. What a boy.”

Changmin stands still despite the amount of hug pressure the three men pour onto him.

      “Come on! How long will you be angry at us?” Changwook punches the man’s shoulder. “We pledged guilty already. You can’t sulk at us forever, Min.”

      “I’m not really sorry for not helping you, though.” Il woo grimaces. “You really put us the princes in hard time, boy. Really bad time.”

      “Let’s go crashing Changmin’s house.” Jonghyun suggests. “We couldn’t prison crash him there. It’s about time to put some senses back to his head. Zeke! Hop in my horse. Lead us!”

Zeke takes them to the Shim’s cottage near the port of Cair. He knows Changmin would prefer to welcome his dear royal friends in the cottage than any other place.

      “Prison is really bad.” Il woo comments seeing how sunken Changmin’s cheeks and how hollow Changmin’s eyes are. “Whatever they do behind the bars?”

      “Not much.” Changmin replies shortly. “They basically remind you why you are sent there. That pretty much sums up everything.”

Changwook winces. “Why didn’t you give us chance to meet you? I really tried hard to sneak inside the black lion section but always failed. The security system is no joke.”

      “I’d rather spend my time reflecting and reorganizing my  thought and priorities.”

The three men exchange quiet glances. “Are you going back to royal force?”

      “No.” Changmin sips his drink. “I’ve had enough physical training in prison I don’t think I could bear another one afterward.”

      “They have training inside prison?”

      “Let’s just say so.” Changmin smiles coldly. “Fifty whips every morning. Fifty kicks every afternoon. Fifty hits every evening. Your body is trained to be immune against pain after a while. That’s the initial idea of soldier recruitment training session, isn’t it?”

      “Changmin..” Il woo is speechless. “Why didn’t you let us know?”

      “Was curious.” Changmin says like it’s just a casual daily matter. “Why Hanxi always had nightmare on my family prison. I saw the reason why after a week. Prison is the best recipe of nightmare. Send yourself in and guaranteed, you’ll have trouble sleeping soon.”

The mention of the name Hanxi brings another uncomfortable silence in the room.

      “So, what would you do?” Changwook asks when the silence is getting unbearable. “School? You could teach new scholars or..

      “I want to sail.”

--

Yoochun nods back at royal maids and servants who bow at him as he walks through the corridor heading to royal private work chamber provided for the ruler. He’s just received the news of warrior Shim’s release from royal prison. As much as he wants to welcome back the sentenced ex assistant general, he has more urgent duties at hand. The royal soldiers on duty quickly open the door of the chamber for him followed by the usual head bow.

      “Your majesty has been expecting for your arrival, your highness.”

Yoochun steps in finding the ruler Jung Yunho, the royal queen Go Ara, and the royal consort Kim Jaejoong inside the chamber.

      “You came.” Yunho and his two royal spouses rise from their seats.

      “You asked me to come." Yoochun keeps his flat look.

Yunho signals his four personal guards to leave the chamber. “Have a seat.” He gestures at the lounge. “It may take a while for us.”

      “Anything in emergency?” Yoochun asks directly.

Yunho is aware of the leading general’s reluctance. “I’m talking to a friend right now. A friend and a brother, not a ruler to his leading general.”

Yoochun waits. He is not one to tolerate being unknown in a set meeting. Feels like trapped when he is one.

      “Changmin is free today. You know he refused meeting visitor during his prison sentence.” Yunho starts. He pulls tentative minutes weighing his next lines. “It was a situation we all couldn’t help. Public royal hearing needed someone to blame for our bad loss against the Zhangs. I proposed leaving throne as the consequences of my failure keeping Cair’s safety. My queen went as far as returning Vinth to the Zhangs as her deepest apology. Changmin was.. had to be there, Chun. He had to be the black sheep of the helpless situation. General Mack was stripped down from his position, sent to discipline trial yet his fault was seen as tolerable one compared to Changmin.”

Yoochun has to agree with the ruler.

      “We want to talk to him, Min. we need to.” Yunho goes on. “But he refused everyone. He blocked everyone from seeing and speaking to him since his day one sent in to royal prison. I couldn’t pledge for lighter sentence as I was facing the bigger picture after the loss. We all were struggling.”

      “He chose to go to prison.” Yoochun says. “Changmin decided prison was better place for him. He might do crazier things if he wasn’t chained by four walls.”

Jaejoong touches the ruler’s fingers sensing the ruler's uneasiness.

      “Do you think.. he would see us if I summon him to the palace?”

Yoochun isn’t sure about that. “I haven’t met him yet. I doubt he would open the door for me. I disappointed him the most, your majesty. I told him I would help him with Hanxi, I mean, Junsu, but I bared my sword before him that night.”

      “We really need to talk to him, your highness.” Ara’s soft voice is heard. “There are so many things we need to solve. I owe him a lot personally. Would you persuade him to come to private royal dinner with us, your highness?”

      “I need to see him first for that.” Yoochun exhales deep. “I suppose people are aware of Changmin’s prison release as a turning point of Cair's latest political progress. The elderly league is watching the Shims’ every step anticipating any uproar from the Shims’ side.”

      “That’s why it’s critical to have his willing presence in the palace, Chun. People would see it as reconciliation. They would stop gambling, calculating and taking side once they are convinced that Changmin and I have no more beef between us.”

      “Is it possible that I come with you when you see him?” Jaejoong asks. “I know he would slam the door right on my face when he sees me but at least I see him myself.”

      “No, boo.” Yunho disagrees. “Ara and you are not to see him outside palace. People are waiting for any tiny friction between us and the Shims. They are betting on who would strike first. It’s best to minimize any unwanted outcome and wish for Changmin’s willingness to come see us instead.”

      “I can’t promise a thing.” Yoochun says. “Last time I tried to talk to him, I met a thick wall. Let’s hope his head isn’t clogged with rage anymore.”

--

      “Junsu, don’t stand there! It’s dangerous!!” Changmin yells on the top of his lung. “Get back here!!”

The called name is smiling but doesn’t move from his spot. “I just want to feel the wind, Sir.”

      “No! You can’t stand that close to the-Junsuuu!!”

Changmin shoots up, panting and perspiring wet. His hand clutches nothing in the air as the impact of the dream he’s just seen. It feels so real, so near, so solid yet empty at the same time. It’s Junsu falling from the high bridge of the Zhangs’ ship again. Changmin was tied on the opposite corner of Junsu’s standing track. He called, he begged, he shouted but nothing worked. The dream has been on repeat in these past half year. Junsu in his dream always wears the same robe, always throws his arms open wide feeling the wind blows against him, always smiles and always falls to the sea not long after.

      “Sire..?”

      “It’s alright, Zeke.” Changmin’s voice is still shaking. “Just bad dream.”

Just bad dream that stings like nothing else on Changmin’s subconscious. The prison gave him time to look back and let go of Junsu, of the white carrel who stole his heart within months, of the short golden moments they spent together. He chose to go to prison to deal with the ugly pain of being rejected again. The most painful rejection he has ever encountered in life. The most hurtful sentence. The burning cuts and bruise on his body were nowhere in par with the excruciating pain in him watching Junsu walked away from him choosing to leave with his step cousin. Changmin couldn’t feel any emotion for the next twenty four hours. He got all the backlash of his attitude crossing the ruler slapped to his face yet he didn’t feel a thing. When Prince Park Yoochun and Prince Jung Il woo told him who Junsu really was, he was sent deeper to the dark cave of ugly repentance. If only he had known Junsu sooner. If only he hadn’t forced himself onto the white carrel. If only he had been more persistence with his proposal, if only.. if only..

      “His highness prince Park is requesting an audience with you, sir.”

      “I don’t want to see or meet anyone, Zeke.” Changmin coldly replies. “Father’s visit last night is enough. No more guest.”

Zeke bows and leaves the warrior alone in the room. He reappears fifteen minutes later. “His highness said he would wait outside till you’re willing to see him, my lord.”

Changmin glares at his personal assistant. “Which of I don’t want to see anyone part did you not get, Zeke?”

Zeke’s head drops low. “I already delivered your answer to his highness, sire, but he insists. He sent his horse back to his manor.”

Changmin nearly throws the wood stick in his hold onto the wall showing his irritation. Yoochun isn’t one to back down on his words. He’d better see this annoying unwanted guest and punch the forehead hard to get the message across.

      “Where’s him?”

      “On the front porch, Sire.”

First thing Yoochun does when he sees Changmin is encasing the tall warrior in long apology hug. Changmin looks utterly different from Changmin in the prince’s expectation. Yoochun expects to see a thin badly cared Changmin since it’s royal prison but the sunken cheeks and hollow eyes are too much of a change for the ex of assistant general. The pale complexion, the long untrimmed black hair, the boney nearly no flesh figure, all are worse than Yoochun’s prepared mental image of Changmin after prison.

      “I’m awfully sorry for everything, Min.” The leading general means it. “I’m sorry for not being a help when you needed us the most. I’m sorry I had to draw my sword against you and held you back from going to your carrel. I’m really sorry.”

Changmin is as still as rock.

      “You don’t want to kick me or something?” Yoochun leaves the unreturned hug. “Or stab me? I carry my sword if you do.”

      “Beating you would send me back to prison.”

      “None will lodge a charge.” Yoochun punches the stoned arm. “How are you?”

      “Fine.” Changmin replies shortly. “I’m not interested in anything you are about to talk me into. I’m not planning to rejoin royal force or posing in the palace. Save your time.”

      “Not talking you into rejoining royal force.” Yoochun confirms. “You are under the league watch. Better stay out of army till the elders have better things to worry about.”

      “Changwook and Jonghyun have prompted me about the suspicion.” Changmin grits his teeth. “I’m very tempted to try one.”

Yoochun takes a long look at the tall warrior. “You don’t mean it, do you? You don’t want to start a riot against the palace.”

      “Who knows?” Changmin crosses his arms. “I had fought you once in real battle. I just need to take you, Siwon and Yunho down to win the palace. Il woo, Minho and the others wouldn’t do much once you’re thrown to the sea. You are Cair’s foremost leading general.”

      “Yunho returned the Vinth, Min.” Yoochun’s tone is serious. He doesn’t know whether Changmin is joking or not but if it’s not a joke, Cair will meet its worst fall. “He sent them back to the Zhangs a week after your prison sentence. He endured humiliation from all sides for doing so. The league and the royal hearing put him as the punching bag for every sprouting conflict afterward. Ara and Jaejoong had to leave their royal chamber for months due to the political heat. Several well-known trading relation countries left our mutual marketing pacts. Cair suffers economy fluctuation and defense instability up till today.”

Changmin keeps a bored look.

      “You know, the royal army is always on the alert mode. I’m sure you heard about Florian conflict. They robbed most of our merchants’ goods and took many innocent lives away. Farmers had no option but to keep the crops for themselves because the city market was on constant chaos. Yunho had to issue night hour policy till the condition was calmer and safer. People pay less and less trust and respect toward the royal authority. Some of them even left Cair, too disappointed of the changes. We couldn’t keep them from leaving.” Yoochun leans his back on the wall. Changmin hasn’t offered the couch for him yet. “Your public royal hearing set a deep impact on Cair’s stability.”

      “My trial?” Changmin raised his eyebrow. “I just stated what I saw as one of Cair’s citizen.”

      “Right. The sentiment against Yunho, Jaejoong and Ara started from there.”

      “My fault?”

Yoochun sighs. “Not yours actually. But the league perceived it as the first trigger of Cair’s disharmony. You were an assistant general, well known as the ruler’s favorite one too. Your father is a head general who has quite a mass and followers. Your case was a bad politic slap to the palace’s fine reputation. Soldiers and warriors are in doubt over the authority, Min. Half of them takes your side. The rest agreed with the league. You were at deadly fault opposing the ruler which means opposing Cair in general.”

      “I did my time.”

      “You did.” Yoochun nods. “Doesn’t mean the problem is solved.”

      “What do you want?”

Yoochun really misses the old Changmin. “I want my friend back.” He looks at Changmin in the eye. “The friend who was clueless a lot of the times when it came to relationship. The friend who has temper and made mistake from drinking too much. The friend who is my extended hands in battle field. I really miss that Changmin.”

      “I thought you ditched that friend when he didn’t use his head running after a white carrel causing damage to Cair.”

      “I never ditch you.” Yoochun shakes his head. “I had to bare my sword to stop you from making more mistakes, Min. Your head was on malfunction mode that night.”

      “It is still now.” Changmin stares back. “You said you didn’t really love those three Kims in your bed, leading general. You don’t know how it felt to be me.”

      “I don’t know.” Yoochun admits. “I’m not losing it badly like Yunho, Siwon and you but I do understand it’s painful, Min. It’s devastating. Yunho took so much humiliation and bad judgment for returning the Vinth to the Zhangs. He almost gave up his throne from the pounding pressure. And he had to be parted from Jaejoong too. It’s too much for a ruler to run a kingdom without the trust and support from his people. You didn’t see how bad he looked when common people openly remarked how a disgrace of a ruler he was to Cair. People call him worst selfish ruler ever.”

      “He is still ruling.”

      “In a country which people spit disloyalty at him.”

      “What do you want again?” Changmin asks.

      “Your forgiveness.”

      “You could do without that insignificant thing.”

      “Min.” The prince moves his feet. “You know how much I value a friend. Couldn’t you share your generosity with me this once?”

      “You owe me nothing, your highness.” Changmin says. “Like you said, my head was on malfunction mode that night. You did the right thing stopping me. It’s my fault but I don’t feel like apologizing to anyone right now.”

      “Prison makes you speak like those elderly fussy league.” Yoochun clicks his tongue.

      “Give me time to get my head back properly.”

      “Alright.” Yoochun smiles. “You know where to find me when you feel like beating someone.”

Changmin makes the first smile. “You taught me those moves, your highness. However do I beat you?”

      “Who knows what else you’d learn in prison aside from your new applied tongue.” Yoochun sneers. He’s relieved Changmin would give it a thought. “I need to track names in the prison list after this.”

      “It’s single bar, Chun.” Changmin’s smiles goes longer.

      “You could ask for double bars.” Yoochun sticks out his tongue. “One for your head. One for your temper.”

      “Maybe next time. I’ll request for double size bed too just in case.”

      “Boy, the prison really does no good for your tongue.” The prince rolls his eyes.

--

The arrival of the healer lady is unexpected as usual but this time she brings more excitement as well as wariness with her coming. Yunho is very delighted welcoming Nana in the palace. It brings joy tand hope to him after all the conflicts, silent judgment, and public resentment against him and his two royal spouses. He soon announces a gala reception for Nana’s arrival. The royal golden rose chamber is set to carry on the reception. The chairs and dining table are arranged to accommodate certain royal figures allowed to join in the private occasion.

Royal prince Jung Il woo and Choi Siwon make their appearance first. Nana is assisted to reach her provided seat at the same time of nearly filled chairs for the invited names. She greets everyone cheerfully making small talk about the weather and the new selectikn of flower bouquet. The air goes still when the ex assistant general joins the reception along with Cair’s leading general Prince Park Yoochun and commander Ji Changwook not long after His and her majesty take their seats.

Nana senses the change rather than see it. Her old half moon shaped eyes couldn’t see as well as the others but her healer eyes open wide at the warrior’s arrival.

      “Been a long time, Nana.” Prince Park kisses the old lady healer’s wrinkled cheek, greeting. “Please pick on someone else today. I’ve been very good and obedient.” He pulls the chair next to Changmin.

      “Your heart hasn’t met its owner yet.” Nana’s incomplete white teeth are exposed. “Too busy playing with your sword?”

      “I just asked her not to pick on me.” Yoochun whines. The small laughter lifts the still atmosphere.

      “How have you been, Nana?” Yunho asks. “it feels like ages ago since your last visit.”

      “As fine as Siwon’s dimples.”

Siwon automatically touches his cheeks drawing more chuckles from the audience. Yoochun grins.

      “I’ve heard about the Florian’s riot.” Nana’s old fingers move slowly. “Didn’t expect them to cross the mighty Cair.” She eyes the ruler. “Did you misplace your bravery with recklessness?”

      “They wanted to dominate the eastern border.” Yunho answers. “They knew Cair doesn’t tolerate rebellion yet they tested our army.”

      “They wouldn’t risk their heads unless they thought they had a chance.” Nana frowns. “You must have had been in poor situation to make such weak impression on them.”

      “We were in conflicts.” Yoochun helps. “With some overseas leading trading organizations.”

The frown goes deeper. “What happened?”

None volunteers explaining that they had an awful combat against the Zhangs. Changmin sits still on his chair. He doesn’t want to come here but Yoochun just has to be Yoochun and he finds himself dragged to the reception. He’s not an assistant general and a part of the palace’s inner circle anymore.

      “You are going to sharpen more weapons.” Nana still frowns. “I see more riots coming in your way.”

Yunho’s face hardens. There will be more conflicts?

      “We are facing unfortunate time, Nana.” Siwon says. “Things just happened here and there.”

Nana nods dismissing the answer. “I hope you would be wise enough solving these riots. They could lead to big clash.”

      “We will be careful.”

Nana smiles at the tensed faces. Her eyes trail along the royal looks surrounding her. She meets the royal queen’s eyes. “Rest your troubled heart, your majesty. Spring will come soon.”

Ara returns the smile. “Spring will knock on our doors very soon, Nana.”

      “It’s going to be wonderful spring.” Nana spreads her smile to Jaejoong and Yunho. “Even for the adventurous heart of Yoochun, spring will grace Cair.”

      “Mind you, lady. There are other princes and princesses here in the room if you forget.” Yoochun grimaces. “My heart is always in spring.”

Everyone laughs at the feedback.

      “You are going to send gifts to the Zhangs soon.”

The laughter dies at once. Nana ignores the abrupt mood change. “I don’t think I will be around when it comes though I really wish I could be a part of it.”

The stiff mood gradually loosens after half an hour. Nana lights up the atmosphere with stories and news from her journey. Laughter and jokes soon fill the golden rose chamber leaving the thought of the Zhangs behind. Yunho ends the reception after two hours knowing the old healer lady must be tired by then. He sends Nana to the largest guest chamber as usual.

      “I’ll this fabulous beautiful lady.” Yoochun takes Nana’s hand. “I need to do something about her picking on me.”

      “Ah, what a good boy.” Nana approves. “My old bones are quite demanding lately.”

      “You shouldn’t travel too much, Nana.”

      “I just do you a favor, your highness. I could meet your heart’s owner in one of my drops.”

People laugh once more seeing Yoochun’s facial expression. He assists the old lady carefully to the prepared resting chamber.

      “Thank you.” Nana smiles gratefully at the helpful prince. “You may leave now, your highness.”

Yoochun sits on the bed instead. “What’s with the Zhangs?”

      “Always impatience.” Nana chuckles. “Can’t you just let time reveal it to you, boy?”

      “I’d prefer to be prepared for the unexpected.”

Nana pats the prince’s arm fondly. “You make a great ruler, Chun.”

      “I don’t want to be Yunho.”

      “It’s a loss for Cair.” Nana breathes slowly. “You don’t wear your desiring heart that makes you a better ruler for Cair but you choose to play high and down following your adventurous dream.”

      “Yunho is fine.” Yoochun starts massaging Nana’s legs. “He did mistakes like everybody else but he’s a fine ruler.”

Nana closes her eyes relaxing her old body. “Your friend is suffering so much.”

      “My friend? Who?”

      “Assistant general. Shim Changmin?”

      “Oh.” Yoochun winces. “Err.. he’s not-

      “Not assistant general anymore, I see.” The healer understands. “He lost half of himself to a Kim, didn’t he?”

      “Yes.” Yoochun wants to talk about the Zhangs. “You see, the Zhangs did come here two years ago. Yunho-

      “A Kim who will be the reason of the gifts you are going to send to the Zhangs.” Nana whispers.

Yoochun’s massaging hands freeze. “What?”

Nana inhales and exhales air before continuing. “I was requested to heal someone in Windheart. He got shot by a poisonous arrow on his chest. Poor soul.” The lady pauses. “His wound and pain were beyond arrow cut. He didn’t struggle to live. He swam to the call of his end. I told the Zhangs I couldn’t do much but stopping the bleeding.”

Yoochun’s breaths are held in the middle.

      “He took the arrow shoot for someone else.” Nana’s voice goes lower. “He was drowned deep in the sea. It’s a wonder he could be carried ashore alive though his pulse was shallow and near.” Nana’s eyes are wet from the sight. “Some generous sacred force took pity on him and led him back to life. He survived the poison. His heart was revived and rewashed from half of his deep burdened pain.”

Nana slowly opens her wet eyes. “It’s the person your friend lost his heart to, your highness. I felt your friend’s scents and saw his name on him when I tried healing him. I saw the trace of your friend’s shadow in his deserted heart.”

Yoochun could barely produce sound. “H-Hanxi?” He swallows down his saliva. “Carrel Kim J-Junsu?”

      “It is him.” Nana’s healer eyes confirm. “Aventador Mars submits his whole heart to this man. He is trying to get to the deserted heart but he wouldn’t be able to step in unless the shadow of your friend’s has been removed clean from him.”

      “How? How?” Yoochun is still in disbelief. “Hanxi.. I mean Junsu isn’t here.”

      “Either Cair sends him there or the Zhangs land their ship here.” Nana blinks her wet eyes. “Both must cross path to win the deserted heart.”

      “Nana..

      “I wish you’re the ruler of Cair.” Nana rubs Yoochun’s arm. “You would prevent war better than Yunho when the time comes.”