Answers.

Vinth.

 

20. Answers.

 

Changmin knows instantly that this isn’t the Cair royal ship deck nor the provided resting rooms for the crew. He’s somewhere else.

         “Ah, you are finally coming back.”

Changmin blinks twice. Ugh. His body is all against his command to move. It’s like an undetected steel ship is weighed down onto him.

         “Don’t move yet. Aventa Maya needs to see you first before we send you back to your cabin.”

The Cair elite royal warrior takes time to center his focus and picture out the possible what and where. The How could follow soon after he manages to get a grip of where he is. Cair royal prison taught him a lot of things outside arena and school. He tells his body to cooperate with his mind before his five senses start obeying him. Soon enough, as he gets better hold of his body condition, his mind clicks offering him a way or two.

Changmin reopens his eyes. The ceiling is well set, made of center core part of tall forest tree. It’s bare, though. no finishing ornament or smooth final end to present anything other than simply a room with a bed where he lies down and an oval counter Changmin guesses it serves as table or desk. He smells the typical chill night air, probably somewhere close to midnight if not after. From the sheer scent of inhaled and exhaled air, Changmin predicts it’s well kept room; no dry itchy dust, no certain fabric trace which has been unused for long while, no remnant of molded greeny plants either.

Speaking about green…

                “Aventador Cassius?” Changmin gambles. “What- what happened to him?”

Cassius has his share of seeing and reading people from their body language and features. This man lying in bed nine feet from him is one of those distinctive skilled fighters who knows and learns things faster than average first rank warriors in any country Cassius has ever been.

                “Don’t you want to know what would happen to you?”

Changmin shifts his position a bit. “I know what I’m going to face.” He sounds determined. “If you are about to behead me, at least please let me know what happened to Junsu.” He exhales heavily. “Please?” he adds.

                “Warrior Shim, we don’t have the luxury to care about it.” Cassius answers sternly. “Right now our most top priority is to send you back to your ship in one piece.”

                “I said I knew what I’m going to be through, Aventador.” Changmin bargains. His tone is a bit too composed for someone who barely survives from the sea trap, result of three years away from Junsu? “I just need to know that Junsu is unharmed. He pulled me out to the shore.”

Junsu did, Cassius is sensing a headache. This Cair warrior doesn’t know how difficult it was for them to carry on dinner event with Mars was somewhere in the headquarter and this warrior here, two kilometers away from headquarter. Vaya, Cassius and Maya had to take turn keeping an appearance during dinner while Zax, Seth, Young, Aaron and three others trusted men keeping a close watch on both sides.

                “I haven’t met Junsu.” Cassius answers honestly. “I assume he’s doing well since you are still alive right now. You could ask Maya later when she sees you.”

--

Cassius orders Aaron and Seth to watch over their Cair warrior. He goes back to the head quarter coordinating with Young and Vaya as well as updating on Mars. It seems that Junsu does good work in keeping Mars occupied. Maya dismisses them to catch some sleep. She spends more minutes speaking to Cassius emphasizing that this Cair visit mustn’t go wrong. They must ensure that everyone in Cair delegation goes home safely, no matter what Mars would say or do.

He is called awake by knocks on his chamber door. It’s still too early to welcome a new day but never too early for an aventador to take care of things.

                “Maya?” Cassius frowns at the exhausted oldest aventa. “What’s going on? Why are you crying?”

Aventa Maya flashes her usual healer smile. “Nothing much to fuss about. I need to see the Cair warrior before the sun rises. Would you mind taking me there now?”

                “Now?” Cassius has bad feeling about it. “Is it that urgent?”

                “It is. Could we go now?”

Cassius has no option but to agree. It bothers him further why Maya asks to ride silently yet fast. It’s hard to ride fast without noise yet he does his best to comply.

The Cair warrior is sitting by the bed when Maya rushes inside startling the allegedly patient. Changmin stands abruptly welcoming the aventa. Maya grabs his hand, the fingers and palm are shaking yet warm.

                “You must leave Windheart now.” Maya orders. “For the sake of our nations and innocent people’s lives in our lands, leave!” She demands in cracking mother tone. “Leave before the sun rises!”

Cassius and Aaron who walk after the aventa exchange the identical silent question.

                “I don’t-

                “Leave! Right now!” Maya insists. “Before blood spilled and the earth curses all of us.”

                “But-

                “I beg you.” Maya’s eyes are full of newly running tears. “I beg you, warrior. Spare some mercy on us.” Her pleading voice is heartbreaking. “Please leave now.”

Changmin risks a short look to aventador Cassius and the other man in the room but they have the same confused look on them.

                “If you could possibly provide me why I must leave.” Changmin replies in difficulty, the hand holding his hand is shaking in desperation, it’s a mother plea who would not stop till her wish is granted. “I would leave, aventa. But only after I know Junsu is alright.”

                “Kim Junsu.” Maya’s voice trembles. “Would be alright as soon as you leave us.”

Changmin stares at the aventa. “What do you mean?”

                “Cassius.” Maya calls. “See to it that his ship leaves our shore as soon as the sun shines.”

Cassius nods. He has to.

                “Aaron, please send this warrior to his ship right up.”

                “Ma’am.” Changmin keeps the woman’s hand held. “I would leave your land as soon as I could. You don’t need to send me away. I just-

                “I’m not Nana.” Maya squeezes their hands. “I can’t see what she saw but I can sense and feel the destruction if you are not leaving.”

Changmin goes silent. So do the two men.

                “When fire meets fire, it burns everything else. Everything.” Maya blinks some tears away. “You are nurturing fire inside you. He carries the brightest flame of burning fire among us. Please understand.”

                “How about Junsu?” Changmin defies. “You said he’s not well. What happened?”

                “Junsu..” Maya looks down onto their hands. “I’ll try to bring him to see you before you depart if you promise us you would never set foot in our land again. Ever!”

--

Junsu feels light.

He gets back to the day along with the first greeting or evaporating morning dews. He feels light and easy. Like small feather. It’s been a long time he hasn’t felt this light. He stirs up waking to find two layer of thick blanket wrapped over him.

Ah. Not his usual chamber. Of course not. Last night was..

                “Mars..?”

A rapid movement is heard right next to him.

                “You didn’t leave me wandering around by yourself, did you?” Junsu squints his eyes at the man who looks terribly messy.

                “I didn’t.”

Huh? What’s wrong with Mars’ voice? Junsu frowns. “Your voice!”

Mars simply smiles. “Still too early.” He forces his throat to speak. “I need more sleep. So tired.”

                “Tsk.” Junsu gives the aventador a look. “Sleep now, silly.”

The aventador rolls aside closing his eyes. Sleep? Let’s try.

His aventador part has fully returned when Junsu’s fever dropped to normal. Seth cleaned the chamber up from the sign of treating Junsu last night. Maya also told Mars Junsu would likely wake up without much memory of what he had been through the night. It was feverish dream. Junsu would possibly remember his nightmare but he didn’t have to know how awfully worried Mars was because of it. Perhaps he would ask Mars why he has bandage on his chest but it’s something to worry later. For now, the Zhangs.

Cair sends them gifts congratulating on Vaya’s newborn baby. Cair sincerely shows their heart to mend things up. It wasn’t solely Cair’s fault that they broke into inevitable clash two years ago. the Zhangs were also at fault for injuring Cair’s soldiers but again, it was needed to protect Vaya and their ship crew. Junsu happened to be the small factor in the clash. Both sides lost lives and had tried to cool things off afterward. The ruler, his majesty Jung Yunho, even paid visit to Windheart to prevent more damage. He apologized, he negotiated, he compromised that Cassius and Vaya mostly dealt with it.

It should have been fine by now that Cair shows another good intention for making up but Mars has to stand in the way for personal reason called Junsu. Mars shouldn’t taint the goodness of what might Cair and the Zhangs’ benefit from the warmed up diplomacy with his personal issues. Shouldn’t isn’t the one. It’s a mustn’t. How could he abandon the welfare of his people for his selfish satisfaction?

Last night, Mars temporary forgot that he’s an aventador. He was blinded by rage and jealousy. Last night was enough. He would never repeat it anymore. He would own his carelessness and tell his people what he has become. But before anything, Mars has to meet aventa Maya’s old helper lady first.

He senses Junsu’s movement besides him followed by a carefully spread cotton blanket over his body. Mars hides his smile. Junsu palms Mars’ forehead very cautiously afraid he would disturb Mars’ sleep.

                “Not sick.” Junsu murmurs. “But your voice is bad.”

I have found where your heart is, Junsu. You showed me where you left it.

                “Why my chest…

The aventador smiles thinly once more before he actually falls asleep.

--

Juno runs madly storming into Junsu’s usual chamber as soon as aventa Maya says Junsu had terrible feverish dream last night. He hasn’t listened to the details yet. He doesn’t have to. He knows what a feverish dream means on Junsu.

                “Can’t you knock?” Junsu glares at his step cousin. “Luckily I’ve just done bathing, you rude general!”

Juno pants hard. Junsu doesn’t look like he’s been sick. It’s good. Maya’s medicine works.

                “You…

                “It’s still morning, duh.” Junsu rolls his eyes. “Why the rush?”

                “You silly annoying cousin!!” Juno kicks Junsu’s legs.

                “Hey! What the.. ouch! Juno! What!”

                “I took so much trouble asking your Cair friend to stay here overnight but you just had to ruin it.”

                “Sorry, alright?” Junsu winces. “I didn’t mean to stay out too long yesterday.”

                “But you did!” Juno accuses. “Can’t you once be good here? My son would surely take after your sneaking out habit!”

                “That’s not true.” Junsu protests. “I didn’t sneak out last night. I told you I would.. um.. rest a bit looking for fresh air?” Junsu offers an excuse.

                “Are you Nikanth?” Juno kicks Junsu’s legs hard. “and swimming in the coast too when you know well how dangerous it is in this season.”

                “Oowww!!”

Juno wants to hug his step cousin badly. He wants to thank Junsu for keeping Mars busy while they were snooping the Cair warrior to nearest hideout hut and transporting aventa Maya to treat the warrior afterward. He wants to thanks Junsu for risking his own life challenging the merciless tide in order to save the Zhangs from bigger problem. They would be accused and humiliated by the whole world if that warrior lost his life in Windheart’s coastal line during the friendly visit fixing the collapsed bridge with Cair. He wants to thank Junsu for many other things yet he couldn’t say them all now knowing Junsu has just passed another feverish dream.

                “Aventa Maya requests your presence.”

Junsu is still wincing from his step cousin’s sharp kick. “Now?”

                “Are you planning to swim again?”

                “Why are you so mean today?” Junsu half sulks. “I need to wake Mars first.”

                “Mars is already leaving with Zax when you’re bathing.” Juno informs. “He’ll be back around noon.” The general shoots a glance at his step cousin. “No worries. He doesn’t carry any sword or blade.”

                “Huh? He’s leaving already?” Junsu raises his eyebrow. “What about the guests?”

                “Aventa Maya requests your presence now, cousin.” Juno reminds. “Hurry up. Breakfast will start very soon.”

--

Junsu turns silent as the ride progresses. Somehow he could read where they are heading to. He considers aventa Maya as his second mother that he just obeys and agrees with her words and requests but this one he wants to bail out.

                “Your friend.” Maya breaks the building up silence. “What’s his name again?”

                “Hansol.” Junsu replies shortly.

                “Hansol.” Maya repeats. “He is a good friend. He did a lot for us.”

Junsu is thinking to stop his horse and turn around. He doesn’t like the idea at all.

                “He risked himself to take place of someone else last night. I need to repay him for that.”

                “For who?” Junsu has slowed down his horse a bit. He just needs to pull the rope and go separate way from aventa Maya and the guards.

                “You wouldn’t know if you don’t see him yourself.”

                “Why do we go see him this early morning?” Junsu asks in suspicion. “The sun barely hangs in the east. Aren’t they still resting?”

Maya throws a soft smile.

                “Do it for me, will you?”

Junsu grunts silently. Both Mars and Maya look extra awful and exhausted yet they didn’t say a thing about it. Not that Junsu is nosy about politics or the nation matters either. He doesn’t care a dime about politics. He has expressed himself clearly that he would like to run a commoner life here but Mars has to be rock stone stubborn and orders him to stay in the head quarter.

 

Junsu is the last one tying his horse up to the pole. He really doesn’t like his warning alarm that he shouldn’t be here. It’s nagging and urging him to leave aventa Maya and the group before the bed omen comes true yet he couldn’t betray the aventa. He sighs again and again as he walks reluctantly in slow steps after the guards protecting the aventa.

Look there. Aaron. More first rank warriors. Junsu’s instinct goes off instantly. He moves fast snatching the nearest weapon he sees swinging it forward and around.

                “Move away.” Junsu shouts. “I don’t care what you are doing here. Move away!” He threatens. He doesn’t understand himself why he does so but his instinct just screams at him to run.

                “Junsu..” Maya is as shocked as the others. “None is going to do anything. Lower your stick. You may hurt people.”

The slim wood stick swirls easily in Junsu’s hold. “Then let me go.” his usual clear eyes have changed into plain cold combat mode. Mars indeed has taught him well. “Move or I’ll use force.”

General Aaron jumps forward facing Junsu. “You are baring a weapon before our aventa! Are you threatening her?”

                “Let me go and none gets hurt.” Junsu insists. “I’m not to involve myself in any business you are doing.”

                “None is doing anything, Junsu.” Maya pulls General Aaron backward. “I take you here to show my gratitude to your friend, Hansol,  but if you mind, you are free to go.”

Junsu throws the wood stick upward then kick it forward forcing the people to back away from the swirling wood stick as he turns around and run as fast as he could back to his horse.

                “Let him.” Maya holds Aaron’s arm from pursuing General Young’s step cousin. “He senses

                “But, aventa..

                “Let him, Aaron. This is as far as I could do. I promised that warrior I would try to bring Junsu to see him. I’ve tried, haven’t I? Junsu doesn’t want to see him. It’s not a thing we can help.”

                “How about the royal servant?”

Maya breathes long. “I do need to see him in person. Where should I go?”

--

                “Aventador Mars?”

Zax bows at the old lady helper. If it isn’t Mars, they would spend more hours finding the wanted old lady helper.

                “We have a situation in wind heart.” Mars returns the old lady greeting politely. “Aventa Maya doesn’t carry enough medicine ingredients so I decide to seek for your kind favor.”

                “Why, please, aventador.” The old lady is slightly uncomfortable. “Of course I would help. Is the situation unfortunate?” She quickly sits down to avoid another polite gesture made by the aventador. Mars always treats the elderly in full respect it’s kind of uneasy for them to receive such politeness from their beloved aventador.

                “It’s manageable.” Mars replies. “But our aventa Maya needs better rest and cares too.”

                “Why are we still here then? I’ll get the needed ingredients.” She rises up about to lead them the way to her herbal storage.

                “Would it be okay for Zax to collect them? I’d like to speak to you in person.” Mars proposes. “if it’s not a bother to you, ma’am.”

                “Not at all.” She smiles warmly. “Over here, warrior.” She calls one of the girls to help Zax with the deed as she returns to the front guest receiving chamber. “What could this old woman be any use for your wise thought, aventador?”

                “I have this nagging question.” Mars starts. “Remember when you hauled me out of your reading room for secretly reading your books related to ancient pagan codes. It’s very helpful.”

                “It’s not my books, aventador. It’s our nation treasure books. My great grandmother happened to keep them for us and our future generation. You were sneaking in there to run away from your teacher.”

Mars chuckles. “I did. I thought none would be as strict as father but Akita sama and Meaniwa mama were stricter.”

                “They were strict because they knew you would be needed to lead our nation, aventador.”

Mars’s chuckle halts. “How did master teachers know I would be one of aventadors of the Zhangs?”

                “It’s very clear from the day of your coming age.” The woman gazes at Mars fondly. “Your early teen feature and progress are what make great aventador.”

                “I wasn’t the only student achieving good score in tests.”

                “You weren’t, indeed.” She nods. “But you fit to our picture of aventador so well it’s hard to ignore.”

                “I could have refused it, couldn’t I?”

The woman blinks at the question. “You didn’t refuse the plead to be our aventador.”

                “I didn’t.” Mars breathes. “So many people encouraged and persuaded me to accept it. How could I say no?”

The woman smiles again. “Your heart made the most cut for the responsibility, aventador. We old generation saw that you grew lightening warm fire in you. Warm enough to love the whole country without condition and yet strong enough to protect the people from any harm.”

                “All of the Zhangs’ warrior has the same heart as mine.” Mars states. “But still, I was the only one chosen to be aventador.”

The woman turns her head to look at her aventador better. “Our nation consists of four different land, aventador. Each land has its own needs and benefit. So do our leaders. Our old ancestors haven’t failed us yet in giving us hints of who would be the future aventa and aventador when the current ones step down from their responsibilities. What are you doubting, aventador?”

Mars has learned it during his school and training days. Cassius, who is seven years older than him, brought him several old ancient books about the responsibility of becoming aventador. It’s the obvious sign that he was expected to be one.

                “I’m wondering.” Mars exhales. “If I said no back then, we would be just fine, wouldn’t we?”

The old lady is quiet for a while. “I guess we would.”

                “I would still be one of on duty warriors. Or I could be a farmer. Or sailing around the world trading.”

The old lady helper slowly nods.

                “So it’s fine if it’s someone else taking my responsibility.”

The woman heaves a roll of air out of her lung. “I think we can’t ignore the fact that you are a vinth bearer.”

                “Young is a vinth bearer too.”

                “Young could have been an aventador.” The woman admits. “He shares most of your traits and strength but his heart lied heavier on something else.”

Young was looking for his long lost dear step cousin.

                “It doesn’t matter where you were born as long as you fit into the picture of a good aventador and pass the test, you could rise as one.”

                “Young didn’t get the offer to be one.” Mars says. “Because I was already an aventador when he came here.”

                “True.” The old woman looks deep into Mars. “But we all know he is married to aventa Vaya which makes him as good as one.”

Mars’ irritating formulated theory is confirmed.

                “If.” Mars clears his throat. “Just an if, ma’am. say, I let go my aventador responsibilities somehow and Young isn’t here, who would take over my responsibilities?”

                “You already know who, aventador.”

Anyone who could bear the burden of vinth well and carry the rope of protecting the Zhangs. In this case, Aaron, Zax, Seth, Eurydiva, and some other names. They are not in Mars’ shape yet but they are close to it.

Junsu should have been the royal consort of Cair, but he’s not. Jaejoong, the closest blood related one to Junsu takes the royal consort sport. There are other princes and princesses in Cair who are in par with Jung Yunho, why is it a Shim Changmin?

                “Even if you aren’t our beloved aventador today, you would still meet the same course as an aventador’s life.” The woman’s sentence snaps Mars’ mind back to the present. “Fate is like one big interconnected circle. We make choices. We face the results of it. Yet, fate never stays far from its line. It might be different or turn astray yet it’s still in the circle.”

Mars can’t help smiling. Another answer comes to him. He has kept the answer all along, he just needs to confirm it.

--

Prince Park Yoochun and prince Jung Il woo are having personal conversation when lord Ji Chang wook barges in the secluded exclusive corner in the royal military central head quarter. Both royal princes halt the ongoing smooth talk at the sound of the interrupting steps.

Prince Park doesn’t bother to hide his annoyance. “This is leading general privilege corner, Chang wook. You are twenty years too early to break into my door and-

                “Hurry!” Ji Chang wook is sweating like rain. “One of you please keep the senior general Shim the second in his manor or somewhere else. Please.”

Yoochun springs on his feet at once. “What is it?”

Il woo copies Yoochun’s straightened posture. “It’s uncomfortable time to cause riot, wookie.”

Ji chang wook is still panting harshly. His right hand points at the entrance door. “The royal cair sent to the Zhangs has just arrived. The guarding ship hit our coast fifteen minutes ago. I ride straight here as soon as I hear the news.”

                “What news?” Yoochun automatically reaches for his sword. “Is anyone injured? It’s a guarding ship, you said? Not the main delegation ship one?”

                “Changmin is wounded.” Ji changwook bangs the innocent door with his fist. “I don’t know how bad yet since I didn’t have time to check further. I just ran here.”

Il woo jumps out hearing the mentioned name. “I’ll alert my men. You go or I go?”

Yoochun has left the corner. “I’ll stand thirty men by the Shim’s manor and I’ll get back to royal healing center. Il Woo, get Min Ho’s men with you. Chang Wook, go see Siwon. Someone has to- nevermind.”

The three men rush to different exits in haste.