Vinth. 3

Vinth.

 

 Vinth. 3

 

Or else, the nightmare wouldn’t knock.

Jaejoong takes deep breaths several times, inhaling in exhaling out, calling for self composition. Yunho’s mind is mostly occupied with trading their country’s fruitful harvest with potential buyers these days. The latest report from senior Ministers keeps the ruler busy with plans and eager action forming more solid extra backup when the dry season hits later on. Cair is a strong nation. The crops and farms are pleasing and generous these four years. They never lack of any supply so far but Yunho is just being a ruler Jung; the welfare of Cair people is his first and utmost priority, Jaejong is perfectly aware of that but Yunho sometimes is too thick in his ruler throne that he ..

It’s not like Yunho and Ara had never have an argument before yet yesterday was bitter one that nearly everyone in private royal ruler chambers heard the loud shout and angry commanding tones took place in the ruler’s chamber.

Jaejoong takes another deep breath before he knocks the tall twin doors. Yunho’s personal maids bow to him confirming that the ruler is inside, not leaving the private bedroom since noon.

      “It’s nearing dinner.” Jaejoong speaks softly, loud enough to be heard by the ruler behind the door yet as soft as the usual Jaejoong speaking to his husband. “Would you care for anything to eat and drink? I’ll get them here.”

The twin doors open three minutes later. Yunho looks bad. “I don’t have any appetite for dinner, boo.”

The maids around them feel the different attitude their ruler does in front of queen Ara and in front of consort Kim.

      “Just few spoons?” Jaejoong persuades. “You haven’t had anything since dinner last night.”

Yunho pulls his beautiful consort inside his bedroom. The maids catch the spoken sentence before the twin doors close. “Only if you cook it for me.”

--

Zeke empties the bowl of porridge onto Hanxi’s head. “How many times should we teach you not to flirt with the lord’s guests?” He throws the bowl on the floor harshly. “You are a sentenced servant here, Hanxi. Not a snob wh*re carrel. Not here. Don’t dirty my lord’s house with your cheap act throwing yourself to the guests! For God’s sake this is not a broth**!!”

Hanxi struggles for air. He stays still, though.

      “I’m not reporting this to Lord Shim because you’ve been helping a lot these days.” Zeke wipes his hand clean from the porridge remnant. “No meal tomorrow.”

The door is slammed hard one minute later. One of his roommates stops eating and moves closer to Hanxi. “Are you okay?”

Hanxi is not okay. His stomach hasn’t met food since last night. It’s dry and making funny kick. “I.. I can manage.”

The other roommate comes to him too. “Zeke isn’t usually that harsh toward servants unless we make dire mistake.”

      “It’s.. okay.”

      “But it’s not your fault. I was with you most of the time and I hardly saw you talk to sir Changwook. You never speak to him, in fact. How could Zeke think you tried to seduce him?”

      “Just my bad luck, I guess.” Hanxi smiles. “You guys need to eat up your meal. I have to clean myself.” Hanxi leaves the room after taking care with the scattered porridge on the cold floor. He washes his body and hair up from the sticky porridge, deciding he would just spend his night in one of tall trees in the shims’ backyard before reappearing in his shared room right before dawn.

One thing he misses from his carrel status; bed and blanket. What an irony. As a carrel, bed means duty pleasing or entertaining someone. Blanket means rare honor any carrel gets after the duty is through. Lots of people like sleeping with uncovered carrel/carrelitas post the pleasure. The person will use blanket but the carrel will sleep in no cover and now he misses both of them, bed and blanket, because he’s been avoiding the main duty as carrel for these ten years. He makes sure none is interested in him. He doesn’t have smooth talk charm. He reacts coldly to anyone trying to indulge him in. He wears minimum make up, only applying what needs to be applied to dodge suspicion from carrel registrars. He doesn’t sing. He is bad at cooking. He’s a big time no drinker. He’s always ending up as the third carrel accompanying any name in big occasion. Good enough to linger around them but not good enough to be led to bed.

Ten years is not long enough experiences it seems.

--

Yunho enters his legal queen’s chamber in careful steps. Things get a bit messy since Nana’s last visit. Ara has been trying to seek an audience with him privately to talk about the very same old matter. Future descendants of Cair’s. As the current ruler and legal queen of the nation, Yunho and Ara are in charge to secure the future of Cair by bringing offspring. Yunho tries, Ara tries. They both try but Ara opens wide door for frustration which easily leads to heated argument and accusation.

Ara is lying on bed, looking semi ill. Jaejoong told Yunho that the royal queen refused any food too just like him after their last bitter argument. Three girls of Ara’s personal maids quickly bow and leave the bedroom once they see their ruler’s figure reaching their queen’s bed.

      “Ara..”

The petite beauty doesn’t move a bit despite Yunho’s warm hand gesture squeezing hers, greeting.

      “You won’t be able talking back to me if you keep on avoiding food.” Yunho’s hand moves further caressing the woman’s lock framing the face. “We haven’t finished arguing.”

      “It doesn’t matter.” Ara answers bitterly. “You can always have babies.”

Yunho sighs. “Babies aren’t everything, dear queen. We agree on it.”

      “We disagree.” Ara slowly shifts to lean better facing her husband. “I may look stubborn for you. I’m selfish. I’m demanding. I’m hard headed, yes I am but I just ask this once from you, your majesty. I just ask your little understanding for my weaknesses.”

Their fingers linked loosely. Yunho is tired repeating the same sentences over and over to make Ara see his points but he has to repeat it once again now.

      “We will have babies, Ara. Soon. Later. Eventually. God grants us good people with His blessings but don’t rush it. Don’t go against God’s will.”

Ara’s lips pressed thin. “You.. don’t.. understand.” She retrieves her fingers from Yunho’s hold. “You aren’t a woman. You will not understand.”

      “Then make me.” Yunho dislikes the face and tone when his woman said the words.

      “You can have babies from anyone, your majesty. Any woman bearing your love will be very happy and lucky to bring your children to earth. It doesn’t matter who, as long as the woman is granted by your love, she’ll give you children.”

Yunho gives the queen a cold look.

      “But you can’t.” Ara looks back. “Because however much we try, your love belongs to someone else. We both know that.”

      “So?” Yunho loses all his will to confront. He’ll just go with whatever Ara has in mind right now.

      “I won’t be able to conceive as long as your heart is ruled by Jaejoong.” Ara looks away. “I could use low disgusting trick to conceive but no. It’s not me. I love you with all my heart. I won’t and don’t want to taint it with ink of sin. You’ve been very honest from the start. You told me everything from our first meeting. You gave me full right to reject the late ruler’s proposal to marry you because you’d had someone you love dearly.”

Yunho is quiet, clueless where this leads later.

      “I chose you as my husband knowing well I would share you with Jaejoong. I chose you with great honor and pray that I would be the only one giving you children. It’s all I could ask from God; to fulfill my life with our sons and daughters. To love them as much as I love you. To get love from them that perhaps you couldn’t give to me. I just ask that one pray to God, Yunho.”

Yunho leans forward kissing Ara’s unmade hair.

      “We’ll try again and keep trying.”

Ara shakes her head weakly. “You have to really love me like you love Jaejoong to make it work, your majesty. Not as big as you love him. Just a tiny bit one will do.”

Yunho forces a smile. “We’ll try, hm? Don’t push yourself too hard.”

Ara bites her lips. “Na-nana told me this option as the last stop.”

Yunho’s face hardens. “Can we just try it like any normal husband and wife? No magical mythical thingy involved? I don’t want my children born from some enchantment or stupid rituals.”

      “It’s not ritual or enchantment.”

      “Huh? What now?”

      “It’s natural spring water that only bursts up once in thirty years.” Ara pauses to see her husband’s reaction. When Yunho keeps his flat look, she goes on. ”Nana said it’s scarce. The water helps women conceiving children. Even the impossible ones. This spring water is only known to very few people outside the hidden site. Heiress or princesses who meet unlucky fate not able bearing children would do anything to drink this water.”

Yunho wants to say how ridiculous the idea is but considering Ara heard it from Nana, it must be something true. Something accountable.

      “Nana told me not to try it unless I have no choice left. It’s expensive, not to say dangerous.”

      “You mean..

      “You think you can love me, your majesty? As in share a bit of your heart with me? You could really do that?”

Yunho can’t say no right away. “We’ll just try, okay?”

Ara heaves long breath. “How long more? I’m not getting any younger. We’ve walked through years trying and trying. Wouldn’t you at least leave your tiny piece of heart in me by now if you do try?”

Yunho knows it’s true. He loves Ara as a woman who would carry his children, no more. He loves Jaejoong the whole world better than Ara.

      “Would you let me seek that water, please?” Ara begs. “Nana said if I’m really giving it sincere good effort, God might lead the way to the well keeper.”

      “But it’s dangerous.”

      “I told you I’m selfish right now. I know you aren’t going to make other new consorts by your side. Jaejoong makes you happy already but our elders would question our union if I don’t show any sign of upcoming baby sooner or later. They won’t put me in bad spot. They’ll pick Jaejoong as the blame. Would you allow that to happen?”

--

      “Good.” Prince Park pats Changmin’s sweaty arm. “Your sword skill grows better.”

Changmin straightens his position signaling an invitation to start a duel with the Prince. “Wanna try?”

The Prince chuckles lightly. “I’d really love to, dear boy but I’d prefer use my muscles for something better.” He winks at the sour looking warrior. “Come on. I told you like ten times before everything is started by being friend.”

      “I don’t know what you are talking about.” Changmin throws the sword on to the ground randomly.

One eyebrow of the prince’s arches. “Carrel Kim Kibum? Isn’t he your good friend?”

Changmin wishes he still held the sword. “So?”

      “Lee Min Ho has been eyeing him since ages ago, you know. I’ve warned you that but you shrugged it off like it’s no biggie.”

      “He’s a carrel. His duty to meet anyone he has to.”

      “Not necessarily the case for the silver carrel like your good friend. He’s not just any silver carrel, young man. He’s made this far to be your friend. Don’t you see something?”

      “Your point is?”

Yoochun smirks. “He actually chooses you, Min. You are just too busy and in doubt to really appreciate his effort. MinHo slowly woos him though I must say you made it quite difficult for Minho to win Kibum.”

      “And?” Changmin rolls his eyes though he knows perfectly what the Prince means.

      “Jaelousy is good when it’s used on the right dosage.” Yoochun pats Changmin’s arm again. “Among us, you are one of the few people who aren’t too interested in the warm bed of carrel and carrelitas’, not that it’s a bad thing but..” Yoochun’s feet kicked the thrown sword on the ground into the air and catches it easily with his left hand. “Once you realize what you’ve missed right before your nose taken by someone else, the jealousy might be a problem.”

      “I’m fine with Kibum entertains anyone.”

      “Fine it is.” Yoochun swings the sword above Changmin’s head. “Let’s see whether tomorrow Kibum will wear the Lee’s pendant or not. He’s a Kim, Changmin. A Kim would never let you slip from their claws once you submit yourselves to them.”

      “Scary.”

      “They are. But intriguing and addictive at the same time. They are exactly like this sword. Shiny, beautiful, obedient, sharp but one bad wrong move, you’ll be all blood and wound.”

Changmin doesn’t blink when the prince moves the sword barely two inches from his cheek.

      “Kibum is requested to be in the Lee’s manor by dinner tonight.” Yoochun puts down the sword. “He chooses you first before MinHo. Your turn to choose now before his bed resides with the same chamber with Minho’s.”

--

      “What a lovely surprise.” Yoochun lifts up the wine glass. “Wookie darling, would you-

      “I’ll get the consort’s favorite drink.” Ryewook stands up leaving the prince’s dining table. Hyuna has stood up too giving Jaejoong a warm hug. Tae hee smiles and merely nods her head at the unexpected arrival of the consort.

      “I’m sorry for interrupting your dinner, your highness.” Jaejoong smiles at the prince. He is royal consort now but he’s a carrel first before consort. A prince is a prince especially one like Prince Park.

      “You’re always welcomed here.” The prince kisses Tae hee’s cheek whispering something to the beautiful girl’s ear. Tae hee nods twice then leaves the table without a word. “Not having dinner with Yunho?”

      “Princess Ara isn’t feeling well.” Jaejoong takes the offered seat.

      “I see. Claudia is busy too, I bet. Otherwise you wouldn’t step to my house.”

Jaejoong reminds himself that Yoochun is the son of the first head general in Cair. The most powerful one. His mother is Yunho’s aunt and only by Yoochun’s blatant refusal of the throne that Yunho rose to the ruler’s position. Most people in the Cair favor this prince.

      “Claudia is always busy.” Jaejoong thanks the servant pouring his drink.

      “Yeah. She’s busy charming old minister nowadays. I don’t know for what since she could spend much more entertaining nights with better company.”

Jaejoong’s heart shrinks a little bit. Does Yoochun know?

      “Honey.” Yoochun pinches Hyuna’s chin. “Why don’t you ask Wookie to send the drinks to my reading chamber?”

      “But you are having dinner.” Hyuna disagrees.

      “I’ll dine you later.” Yoochun bites the girl’s ear. “All over.” Hyuna makes small cry but giggles in the next minute. “And let Tae Hee know my bed should be kept warm till I’m done with you.”

Hyuna bolts up exiting the dining room.

      “You don’t have to.”

      “We’d better talk in my reading room.” Yoochun drinks his wine. “Let’s go.”

 

The reading room is quite small compared to other chambers in the building. They could sit freely on two lined long comfort seats to read or just relax. Yoochun keeps an interesting collection of books, scrolls and parchments though he doesn’t strike you as someone who loves reading.

      “How are Ara and Yunho?”

      “Doing better.” Jaejoong tries to relax. “They need more time together to iron things out.”

      “You are such a nice thoughtful consort.” Yoochun has to admit. “I don’t see many consorts willingly give their time up for their competitors.”

      “Ara is not competitor, sir.”

      “She’s not, indeed. It’s not even a battle. You’ve beaten them all long long time ago when Yunho landed his eyes on you.”

Jaejoong dismisses that feeling. He has to score Yoochun’s help for this.

      “I met up with Song Qian a couple days ago.” Yoochun opens up first. “We talked about stuffs that somehow brought this Ara-Nana topic. Does Yunho know that Ara makes effort to contact foreign overseas traders buying something?”

      “I beg your pardon?” Jaejoong is caught off guard. Ara what?

      “Her royal majesty Go Ara is seeking for something. She doesn’t say what in details but odd enough that Song Qian was contacted by one of her far relatives in Phraya confirming whether Cair has a princess called Ara.” Yoochun shrugs. “Song Qian didn’t immediately respond. She crosschecked it to Ara first but her majesty denied. I believe it’s then when the argument broke.”

      “Yunho..” Jaejoong inhales. “He’s meeting the golden league of ministry this week. He’s a bit upset at Ara because.. it’s just a simple silly misunderstanding.”

      “It’s not, Jaejoong. It’s big issue. My father was in the league. He didn’t have to say a thing to me but most of us have smelled the smoke. Ara and Yunho have been married for over than four years, right after his coronation. No child so far. Not even signs of possibility having a child. It’s not good for Cair.”

      “What’s not good? Having a child isn’t that easy.”

      “Really? Min Young has two. Tae Hee and Hyuna were about to carry ones but my mother was wise enough.” Yoochun makes a face. “She sternly reminds me that she wants no grand children from the Kims.”

      “It’s not same for everyone.”

      “Agree. But look at it from Ara’s side. She is expected to give future princes/princesses yet up till today, she stays as she is. Women might get desperate when it comes to womanly matters and I won’t blame her for trying her best.”

      “Do you mean Ara has problem with pregnancy?”

      “No. Nana said it herself that Ara’s good and would make a loving mother when the time is right.”

      “The time is not right yet then.”

      “Timing isn’t something we can decide, can’t we? Yunho would meet option to marry other princesses, or in this case, any woman catches his interest to carry on the line of the future rulers.”

      “What about Ara? It’s not from Yunho’s only, right? Your children, Prince Il woo’s, Prince Siwon’s, prince Minho’s, princess Min Young’s, princess Song Qian’s, princess Rita’s too.”

      “Yunho is the latest ruler. He sets examples for Cair. It’s one of his duties and responsibility to prolong the line of royal Cair’s descendants.”

      “It won’t be fair to Ara. She’s-”

      “You shouldn’t worry about princess Ara, Jaejoong. Mind yourself first. If anything, you’ll be the first one to blame. Everyone knows how much Yunho loves you.”

Jaejoong is stunned. He comes here in made mind asking help from Yoochun to find Junsu yet he’s the one caught in the game of politic and love.

--

      “Why, I’m so popular tonight.” Yoochun raises his eyebrow. Jaejoong left an hour and half ago and now Ji Changwook is requesting to see him. “I’ll meet him in front guest lounge. Has father been home from royal main hall?”

      “Just arrived fifteen minutes ago, your highness.” The Park’s head butler informs. “Should I brew some drink for Sir Changwook?”

      “Nevermind. I bet he won’t be long.”

Yoochun throws a thick furry leather cape onto himself before heading to the guest lounge. Like every noble house in Cair, the Park has five different reception areas for guests. The front guest lounge is the third site which indicates how the relationship is between the prince and the warrior. Changmin would be usually brought to Yoochun’s main guest chamber since he’s one of the prince’s closest friends.

      “Isn’t it too late to ask me dining out?” The prince teases. “Or you have some eyes on one of my servants too now?”

      “Just drop in by for a sec.” Changwook grimaces. “It was just impulse, prince. Please.”

      “Boy, you made quite a scene in the Shims’ manor. I doubt Changmin would invite you in anytime soon.” Yoochun chuckles.

      “That’s why I come seeing you.” Changwook still grimaces.

       “You said you’d just drop in by for a sec.” Now Yoochun doesn’t bother to hold back laughter.

Ji changwook ignores the joke. He needs to tell someone about it. Yoochun is the perfect one for this since he’s close to Changmin and usually willing to lend ear as well as sharing his piece of thought over small yet bugging thing like his case right now. “That servant, I forgot his name, I saw him before. No. I met him long before. I spent twice or thrice training session with him.”

      “Hmm..” Yoochun grins wide.

      “Changmin said he’s actually a white carrel getting sentenced as servant for stealing robe.”

      “Ooohh.” Yoochun nods in amusement. “He’s a carrel. That explains your impulse.”

      “No, sir. It’s not like that.” Changwook quickly assures the Prince. he really needs to get the message through. “Do you remember Commander Lee? Broken ribs, fractured bones, badly wounded, a week in healing camp?”

      “I’m not sure I remember that Commander quite well. Is your servant carrel related to him?”

      “That’s why I need to see and talk to that servant.” Changwook makes a fist in the air. “I remember people rushing in the arena saving the commander from one rookie soldier attacking him. I was there when commander Lee’s injured body carried to healing camp. The rookie was held in the central quarter for interrogation. He’s bleeding too but way below Commander’s injury.”

Yoochun stands straight at once.

      “Rookie soldier? When was it?” The one Jung Il woo told him couple of months ago?

      “Eight years ago? I feel like.. I know this servant. I’d met him somewhere but I couldn’t figure out where and when.”

      “Was he sent to prison?”

      “I’m not sure about it. Commander Yang took me in to the quarter for short time during the questioning. I saw him just for few minutes there. His training uniform was torn funnily and dried blood was on him. I remember it’s him when I saw him in that poor dark stained servant robe.”

      “Did he use knife?”

Changwook frowns, slowly shaking his head. “I saw no knife or spear or any weapon for training. He used.. um.. wood stick?”

It’s exactly the rookie Jung Il woo spoke about. The rookie that Il woo said might be in the same par with or even better than KyuJoong.

      “You sure it’s him?”

      “I need to see and talk to him to confirm it, Sir. It’s eight years ago. How do you expect me to clearly conjure a blur picture of someone I just met thrice on training?”

      “If your poor memory is right, we need to talk to Changmin soon.”

      “Huh?” Changwook doesn’t expect this kind reaction from the prince.

      “I want that rookie in my wing.”

      “But he’s under sentence serving The Shims’ manor for six months.”

      “That’s why we need to confirm it first before speaking to Changmin.”

      “Okay.” Changwook agrees. “Tomorrow? You said it’s too late to use dinner as an excuse.”

      “Now is better.” Yoochun has stood up and called one of the butlers near the guest lounge. “I’m going for a walk with Warrior Changwook. Might be late.”

      “Yes, your highness.”

      “But, Sir.” Changwook gapes at the speed changing atmosphere. “What would we say to Changmin for visiting him at this hour?”

      “Changmin wouldn’t be there.” Yoochun walks long in haste steps. “He’ll be somewhere else deciding whether to bed Kibum or not.”

      “WHAT?”

      “Fasten your pace, young man.”

They could use horse or carriage but Yoochun choose walking to give room to think up the excuse to meet the servant. The longer the distance from the Parks to the Shims, the better for him to find decent alibi to see the object of Changwook’s curiosity.

      “I’ve wondered a little these two days.”

      “Hm..” Yoochun keeps walking straight though not as fast as before.

      “He’s a white carrel. The newbie one in carrel rank. Does it take years to climb up to yellow rank? I mean.. He trained to be soldier eight years ago. Say for example, he joined carrel wagon well.. A year after? Two years afterwards? Six years in white rank?”

      “He might just join in last year or this year.” Yoochun shrugs. How would they know?

      “And stealing robe? I heard he stole servant’s class three robe. A white carrel stealing servant’s robe? Isn’t it weird?”

      “People do all sort of weird things in the palace, Changwook. I can’t believe I just said that to you.”

      “Something is fishy here. A trainee soldier who is a carrel later on and now a servant.”

      “Right. Fishy.”

They reach the Shims’ manor in an hour or more. Yoochun’s warrior instinct kicks up in an instant when he senses the peculiar atmosphere in the big well guarded house.

      “Is Changmin here?”

      “Yes, your highness. But, um.. I’m afraid your highness would need to return tomorrow morning to see Lord Shim the third.”

      “Oh. Okay. We are sorry for interrupting the restful night.” Yoochun flashes his smile. “I have this small defense matter to confirm with him. I thought he would be home late since I heard he-

They hear noise from inside the west wing.

      “What was that?” Changwook exchanges look with the prince.

The front guards look uncomfortable. “Err.. Err..

They hear more noise. Someone’s shouting. Things thrown on the floor.

      “Are you sure it’s not something bad?” Yoochun frowns. The guards standing before him should move fast finding out the source of the noise polluting the night’s peaceful air but instead, they just stand here unsure what to say to him.

      “Um.. Lord Shim the third reached home.. a bit drunk.” One of the guards explains. “We are.. err..

Another crashing things. More loud curses and swearing.

      “What the hell.” Changwook steps in passing the tensed guards uninvited. “Changmin would wake up entire neighborhood if he doesn’t stop shattering things. Yo, guards! Do something before the noise wakes up Lord Shim the second and his wife!”

Yoochun runs inside the next second since his instinct now sets off bad alarm. He barges in the west wing heading to the main private chamber, Changmin’s bedroom. Changwook is right beside him getting to the loud noise source. The others guards in charge that night plus some butlers and maid also run with them now that the Prince Park is here, they wouldn’t be blamed too much tomorrow for meddling in whatever thing their lord is doing.

      “You lowly waste of life carrel!” They hear Changmin’s heavy breathy voice inside. “You have no right rejecting me!!”

Yoochun nearly stops his feet movement. Is that Kibum with Changmin inside the chamber? if it is, he mustn’t interfere the two.

      “Please don’t do this, Sir. I beg you. Please.”

That’s not Kibum’s voice.

      “Hah! Playing hard to get, huh? Why the show of being innocent. Not experienced? Are you insulting me?”

      “Sir, please.”

      “Don’t you dare, useless carrel. Don’t you dare! I’m your lord here. You must not reject me!”

Yoochun snatches the nearest guard’s weapon. A long spear. He jumps forward knocking the chamber door. Whoever carrel Changmin brought home to bed now, Changmin must stop humiliating himself. Once the news spread tomorrow, the Shims would suffer bad bad shameful judgment for long time. That, or they have to silence the carrel which means..

      “Changmin!” He calls out loud. “Hold yourself.”

Changwook does the same. “Shim Changmin! Don’t dirty your hands touching some random carrel-

The door breaks in loud crack. Changmin is thrown on the floor, panting. His upper body is bare uncovered as the audience witnesses red mark on his chest.

Before Yoochun or Changwook could do anything effective terminating worse outcome, a figure springs from the chamber holding a torn wooden bed leg planting a sharp hit onto Changmin.

      “I told you not to lay fingers on my body!!” The voice is cold and angry.