Ai Wakaranai

Vinth.

 

 

      “Mars, where are we going?”

Mars didn’t reply. Instead, he fastened his walk (half run) taking Junsu further to an unfamiliar basement under head quarter east wing. He only stopped in front of a tall wall of semi dry soil dead end. It seemed like the deeper layer of the earth surface since Junsu was getting trouble breathing properly. What was this place?

Mars glanced back at Junsu who obliviously clutched on his front robe.

      “I’m afraid you need to close your eyes.”

      “Why?”

      “Just close it.”

Junsu huffed in building irritation. He shut his eyes as he was told halfheartedly. A while later he felt there was a drastic change of air surrounding him. He frowned. His trained senses started figuring things out as his ear caught the very sheer smooth sound of breaking wave on to the shore. Eh?

      “You may open it.”

It was dark. Junsu had to adjust his sight to cope with the thick darkness.

      “See anything?”

Junsu tsked. What could he see in this curtain of thick darkness? Was Mars teaching him another fighting trick? A skill to see through solid darkness? What did Mars expect? Fighting ghosts? Witches? He knew that Mars was standing two meters on his left despite the heavy darkness. He was so accustomed to Mars’ scent and body temperature that he could feel Mars’ presence in one room naturally.

      “Not much.” Junsu frowned more. “Just dark.”

      “Look better.”

      “What should I see?” Junsu asked. “Objects? Lights?”

Mars smiled thin. “Just look better.”

      “Uh uh.” Junsu tried not to scowl. So much for losing his well planned trip to aventa Maya’s quarter. “How long?”

      “An hour?” Mars suggested, not sure himself. “Two?”

Junsu widened his beady eyes. “Two?”

      “Just try it.”

Junsu obeyed. He had long ago learned that eyes often dilute you from the actual things we could have seen. He closed his eyes again as he began to let loose his other working senses to be free. He let his logical senses to take some time off and told his senses to run wild. Once his shut eyes blended with his other free of its usual basic duties senses, he relaxed. The darkness wasn’t intimating or terrifying at all. In fact, it’s soothing him. His lips stretched both sides welcoming the growing comfortable in and outside him. It felt so calming. The solid darkness was like a spacious meadow filled with flowing.. water?

      “Water.” Junsu whispered. He didn’t mean to say it. His lips just let the word escape him.

      “Where? Junsu faintly heard Mars’ voice amidst the lulling atmosphere.

      “Everywhere.” Junsu smiled more. “A pair of different currents holding.. hands? Feels like they flow side by side, accompanying, completing, fulfilling, protecting..

It’s weird that Junsu’s heart beat lively following the rhythm of dancing waves he heard in the darkness.

      “Is it soft red or bright red?”

Junsu shook his head. “Red? It’s.. nearly like very soft beige and tip of pale yellow. Moon light?” He breathed in the fast crawling rush hitting his senses. He went deeper and deeper in the water wave that he didn’t hear Mars’ call. His body was lifted afloat succumbing in the hypnotizing rush. It’s like swimming in the ocean minus the needed movement to swim.

      “JUNSU!!”

 

Junsu’s eyes snap open. His both eyelids are wide awake as his tensed body tells him it’s just another dream. His heart works in regular course. His brain leaps up supplying the information where he is. Right, he is in Cassius’ ship, the bent twister (cassius picks the name himself) on its way sailing to ParoVas and also on Junsu’s better conscience to keep the strings well between Mars and him. Junsu includes himself in Cassius’ trip of duty to ParoVas to cease the arising tension ever since Mars voluntarily took him to the Zhangs’ secret ancient sacred well. He won’t be surprised if Mars also jumps on the next ship heading to ParoVas following Cassius. The bent twister departed first to make way for the other ship (led by general Aaron) due to the harsh weather these days. Junsu didn’t tell Juno when he joined Cassius’ crew. No need to. He is in dire need of space and the voyage might serve him what he needs.

Whether Mars joins the second sailing ship or not, Junsu would deal with it later. At least here he is not worsening the brewing tension which everyone easily reads between the aventador and the step cousin of general Young’s.

Better not thinking about it anymore, Junsu reminds himself. He pulls his blanket aside deciding he won’t try to sleep anymore. What time is it? it’s definitely not morning enough to start anything but too late to call it an ending night since the night has already passed hours ago.

He exits the crew cabin he is in silently roaming around the ship on tiptoe not wanting to disturb Cassius’ crew’s rest. It’s oddly too quiet for Junsu’s usual slipping into morning wakeout. Perhaps it’s just him. This is not windheart head quarter. He’s on the sea. Things must be different.

Except that he’s not 100 percent on the sea.

What happened while he was sleeping? The warriors on guard duty should be on more number than those Junsu sees from his spot. He is sure they haven’t reached ParoVas’ port yet. Is it a stop? He looks around the shore again as familiarity kicks in. It seems and sounds familiar to Junsu. Dejavu? Effect of his dream just before he wakes up? no?

There are three shores he’s familiar with. Malthveck, though he didn’t have much time exploring and playing along the beach. Windheart coastal, he knows it very well as he spends one third of his time roaming around the beautiful yet heartless coastal shore. The last one is…

      “Hold on right there!”

Junsu turns around. If it’s windheart, he could flee and disappear from any on duty warrior simply by kick his feet off to go. Not here. Especially when the familiarity of his surrounding begins to get to him.

      “Please excuse our manner.” The man blocking his way says. “Would you please show us your identity?”

Junsu exhales a long breath. He is standing face to face with Kim HyunJoong.

--

Changmin folds his coat into small roll. Prison taught him to keep everything minimal. Less resistance, less response, less suspicions arousal, and less exposed emotion would help you endure the prison better. The nature he’s been living with these past twenty months teaches him to elevate his senses and instinct, not that he hadn’t been good with the two mentioned subject before. Nature brings out the best way to deal with unexpected wildness and madness as well as re-learning who he is as a warrior.

Yoochun might conspire with Yunho, Changmin doesn’t a bit care, yet when his heart agrees with his brain, he complies with it however ridicoulous it sounds.

Here he is, spending the night in one of the Shim’s private cottage locates nearby Cair port. He sent Zeke out to meet with the butler’s family. He made it clear to Zeke that he wanted to be alone this time, at least till the celebration is over. Zeke very much reluctantly obeyed him knowing he had no choice.

It’s still half dark. The beach and port are half asleep too saves for the naval elite force warriors on duty. Changmin knows Siwon does his job seriously. Siwon’s squad is one of the best leagues in Cair rivaling Yoochun’s men. Changmin knows most of them, had fought along with many of them, befriended only very few of them. He’s glad he isn’t a prince. He can’t think of picturing himself shouldering responsibility of leading mass of soldiers. Being a warrior is enough.

Cair beautiful warm port is filled with huge ship after huge ship in various color and shape representing what country or nation the ship belongs to. They give a marvelous sight. What a view to start your day. Busy diligent ship crews are working nonstop carrying out their tasks. Cair local fishermen and sellers use the opportunity to seize as much profit as they could net. The sun hasn’t yet even announced its first curve but the people on duty or people making money for their lives keep on going.

Until Changmin’s sight falls to a spot in the far left end of the coast from Cair guarding tower. The pair of rich dark brown orb expands to their fullest range recognizing what the eyes see.

--

      “Assistant general Kim.” Yoochun gives the alarmed warrior a scolding look. “I believe prince Choi’s manor is on the opposite right way from my hut.”

      “I beg your utter pardon, your highness.” Kim Hyunjoong doesn’t budge. “I take it into my personal account that it is very necessary to see you first.”

Yoochun tightens his robe. “Unless it’s not as desperate as you make me feel for upsetting my cherry pretty carrelitas, you are going to lose your leg or arm I don’t care.” Yoochun grunts in rising irritation. “One minute. Hyuna might forgive me if I’m back in bed right now.”

HyunJoong wastes no time. “A foreign ship moored onto our open visitor coastal reception by the name The Bent Twister a half and an hour ago, your highness. Our security inspection has never listed this ship before but they passed the coastal check. I believe the passengers of the ship are now exchanging pleasantries with the palace patron.”

      “Thirty seconds.” Yoochun yawns. Not interested. Siwon is in total charge for the safety on the coast and the guests. He is in charge on the wellness of the palace. Hyunjoong shouldn’t bother Yoochun with this usual report.

      “I gather from Kyujoong’s junior line who happened escorting the passengers to the palace entrance gate. The leader, they say, announced that they’re from Windheart.”

Yoochun blinks. “Where?”

      “Windheart, your highness. I cross checked it to three of general Wang’s crew who were on the ship visiting the Zhangs’ two years ago and-

Yoochun’s posture changes in a zap. He knows where Windheart is. “Wait here, I need to dress properly. Give me a minute.”

      “Your highness.” Hyunjoong tries to halt Yoochun’s rapid movements. ”There’s something else you need to hear.”

      “Later.” Yoochun waves his hand as he disappears behind the door frame. He reappears three minutes later in full leading general uniform holding his Park sword. “We have to move quick yet quietly. I’ll go to notify Il Woo and Changwook. You go report this to Siwon.” He walks very fast exiting the Park’s left reception lounge.

      “Your highness.” Kim Hyunjoong calls. “I made a mistake.”

Yoochun stops walking. “What mistake?” He turns and glares at the assistant general. “We don’t have time for details, assistant general Kim. Later. Move. Now.” He signals Hyunjoong to walk on.

Hyunjoong adjusts his pace with Price Park’s. “I was coordinating with head commander Shin when I met a stranded foreign crew. He strolled along the third guarding tower by himself. Unarmored.”

Yoochun doesn’t pay too much attention. He is freeing his ride from the Park’s horse stall.

      “He’s from the same ship of Windheart’s.” Hyunjoong continues. “I let him walk on after I told him short brief of precaution about our celebration and all. I should have held him in place.”

      “Why should you?” Yoochun has mounted over his horse.

      “Your highness must want to see him.” Hyunjoong copies the prince’s deed. “I was late recognizing him. It’s been long while since the last time I saw him.”

      “Who?”

      “Kim Junsu.”

Yoochun curses out loud. “You should just say carrel Hanxi is here from the start!!”

--

Their distance doesn’t shorten despite the imperative command and demand inside Changmin to reach and hold Junsu. Another lesson he is taught by nature is to respect space and time. He is desperate to be closer to Junsu, to see him up close, to see how Junsu is doing, to ease his aching yearning heart for Junsu.

      “I wasn’t stalking.” Changmin says instead. His voice is as light as barely harvested cotton. A mixed of unstoppable happiness with cautious measure. Junsu clearly stated that he wanted Changmin to go away from him on their last meeting but today, this moment, here, it’s Cair coastal shore, not Windheart. “I didn’t know I would… see you.”

Junsu hasn’t looked at Changmin. “How’s.. how are things?”

      “I could manage most of it. No sweat.”

      “Good.”

Changmin breathes very carefully, calculating. One wrong word, he’s losing his rare chance seeing and talking to Junsu. One wrong word, one wrong move, one wrong gesture, one wrong breath..

      “You aren’t assistant general anymore?” Junsu asks, eyes still gazing at the coastal bank.

      “Given up that troubling seat long time ago when I chose to go to prison.”

      “That’s a shame. I might see a general if you keep it.”

      “What’s good of being a general out of a useless me?” Changmin wills himself with all his might to just stay where he is.

      “None knows. Better than you thought, perhaps?”

The sun and the wind greet each other. Morning has officially unveiled.

      “I did nothing but putting royal force in a humiliation.” Changmin can’t help staring. “Quitting it is better for Cair and everyone. Best for me.”

      “I see.”

      “I’m still a warrior, though.” Changmin states. “I’m not sure whether I’m as good as you or not. We never found out who’s the better fighter between us.”

      “You are.” Junsu looks away.

      “I’m not.” Changmin denies. “Past incident didn’t count as fair trial. Either I was drunk or I was too.. emotional.”

Junsu is about to scoff. He could feel the stronger vibe from the ex assistant general from their distance. It speaks a lot of what kind of warrior Changmin has become.

      “Are you sneaking out again?” Changmin has to keep the conversation going.

      “No.” Junsu nearly scowls. “They forgot mentioning about a quick stop. I was checking where the stop was.”

Changmin doubts that. “You should cover your attire with something more local if you are checking around.” He undoes his coat holding it out to Junsu as he moves forward cutting several steps of their distance. “Wear this.” He doesn’t mean to throw his coat to Junsu but he doesn’t want to risk a thing and himself by handing it directly to the man either.

Junsu catches the half thrown coat. “Told you I wasn’t sneaking out.” he scowls now. He slowly wears the coat over his shoulder. The fabric wraps his figure a bit too loose since Changmin is taller than Junsu and Junsu doesn’t bother to tie the coat as he should.

Before Changmin knows where his hands go, his fingers have reached for the front part of his coat on Junsu’s figure fixing it to cover Junsu better.

      “You should wear it-“ Changmin couldn’t finish his sentence. He is standing close to Junsu. Close enough to see the clear beady eyes looking plainly at him. Close enough to see Junsu’s face and skin. Close enough to start his pulse and heart to race.

Yet they are not close enough to each other to begin a thing.

      “Hoodie.” Changmin puts the hoodie on. “Just in case.” He reasons to none. It’s actually to fulfill his selfish demand to minimize people’s stares on Junsu. His fingers brush over Junsu’s ears and cheeks as he puts on the hoodie. It feels crazy. He could feel his blood rushes and all of the hair on his body rises.

What crazier is that Junsu merely looking back at him plainly. Changmin almost loses his control kissing Junsu. Almost. His body is struggling badly not to do foolish things he so much wants that he has to keep his hands by his side and to look away afterward. Why does Junsu stand still like it has no effect on him at all?

The closeness is enough to draw silence in. Changmin is preventing any possible bad word ruining the moment. Junsu chooses to say nothing. They stand facing each other in a growing very comfortable silence. It’s comfortable. The way the closeness and silence fuse and linger in them brings out the comfortable and feels Changmin can’t describe by words. Being this close, looking into Junsu’s plain eyes, feeling Junsu’s presence before him, he realizes it’s a form of gift he isn’t granted for long.

Changmin doesn’t know and doesn’t want to know what Junsu is thinking. Here, in front of him, stands the person who changes and reset most of himself into he is today. He used to be able to hear Junsu’s thought of not wanting him easily by seeing Junsu’s expression and defiant eyes. He used to tease and blackmail Junsu to come along with him. He used to be an impulsive man clueless what and how to win Junsu’s forgiveness.

The sun crawls up spreading its morning warmth across the sea.

Junsu has had it enough. “I’d better go back.”

Changmin reacts instantly. “I’ll take you there.”

      “I’m perfectly fine to go to places on my own.”

      “I’m not fine with you wandering alone.”

The beady eyes flash irritation glints. Changmin’s inside is taking another swirl. Those sparks..

      “For my personal assurance.” Changmin tries his best not to grin in happiness. “I was welcomed very warmly when I paid a visit to Windheart. At least I could-

      “Cut it.” Junsu hisses. “I’m not into pleasantries and show of manner.”

      “I know you don’t.” Changmin takes a step backward. Their close distance gives him an utter hard time not to touch Junsu. “Pretend you are alone. I’m not here.”

Junsu’s left eyebrow arches. “Yeah. You are not here.” He scowls again. His lips’ moving shape when he speaks increases more difficulty for Changmin not to kiss them. “Then be not here.” He turns and starts walking away.

Changmin’s right hand makes sudden progress of catching Junsu’s coat. Four royal guards are coming on to their direction. Changmin pulls Junsu by instinct to shield the man as he puts himself ahead of the ex carrel’s figure. His ex-carrel.

      “Royal guard. Stay behind me.” Changmin speaks as he lets go of his hold.

      “I’ve passed their inspection post.” Junsu protests.

      “Just stay put till they go past us.”

Why would he listen to this taller man’s order? Junsu glares at Changmin’s back. He does nothing worthy of questioning or suspicion or punishment. He just strolls along the coast till Cassius and his men are back to the ship. Is that against the law or what? He even holds himself back from making a scene letting this Shim Changmin man does as the tall man pleases.

      “Are you glaring at me?” Junsu could hear Changmin’s smile as the tall man asks the question.

      “No.”

      “My nape feels funny.” Changmin’s shoulders shift. “Means someone is glaring angrily at me. is there anyone else with you?”

Junsu is about to snap at the tall man as the solid build of royal guards halt their fast moving course right by Changmin’s figure.

      “Fisherman?”

Changmin shakes his head. “We are just strolling along admiring the foreign docking ships, sir.”

One of them scans Changmin’s appearance from top to toe in suspicion. “This is restricted area for royal naval men only.”

      “Uhm.. we walk on?” Changmin lower his eyes showing no intention of harm. “We kept on-

      “Changmin, sir. Is that you?” another guard moves forward closer. “Lord Shim the third.” He bows at Changmin who blinks in surprise.

The three other guards exchange looks.

      “Ah. Ravi?” Changmin guesses. “Ravi, isn’t it?”

      “yes, Sir.” The guard laughs lightly. “Whoa. Never thought we would come across you, sir. Are you.. um.. Commander Chang wook would return in an hour or less. You could wait in our quarter, sir.”

Changmin thinly laughs. “I think I would drop by some time later. Too noisy right now.”

      “It is.” Ravi nods. “We are just receiving order to comb along the coastal and in alert for seagull stage two.”

One of the royal guards coughs at Ravi.

      “Sorry.” Ravi apologizes to his fellow guards. “Just excited. Commander Ji would be happy to hear from you.”

      “My bad.” Changmin slightly bows at the guards. “I don’t know that I walk into restricted area.”

      “Only till the festivity is up, sir.” Ravi informs. “Forgive us for not recognizing you. Please continue your walk, sir. I’m going to relay to other soldiers on duty that you are here.”

      “Oh. Please don’t bother. We are going back. I’ve seen enough.” Changmin quickly replies. “His highness Park pulls another card to get me back here, doesn’t he?”

The three other guards slowly relax.

      “We hope so.” Ravi smiles wide. “We all wait for the day you’d rejoin us and set things better like before.”

      “You have gut, soldier.” Changmin laughs for real. “His highness Prince Choi Siwon would be amused hearing your sentence.”

      “I would worry that later when you do decide to rejoin us, sir.”

      “We should get going.” One of the guards reminds Ravi.

      “Right.” Ravi nods. “Really nice to see you here today, Sir. You nearly tricked us.”

      “What flies the seagulls?” Changmin casually asks. “New fish?”

      “Red pole and tortoise.” Ravi’s friend answers. Changmin hasn’t forgotten their army naval codes after all.

      “Okay. Good luck. Be well. They should prepare extra meal treat for your diligent hard work.” Changmin says.

      “You too, sir. Please have a visit to our quarter while you are on our radar.”

The four royal guards walk on. Changmin waits for two minutes till the back view of the guards are far from them then he turns around to Junsu.

      “We need to leave the coast immediately.” He takes Junsu’s hand and walks fast. “They are scanning the coastal and the nearby perimeter looking for you.”

      “Excuse me?” Junsu pulls his hand back from Changmin’s hold but Changmin catches it again and half drags Junsu along.

      “Red pole is our code of highly red alert visit. As far as I remember, the Zhangs is in the red list. They are anticipating a situation.”

      “Wait.” Junsu snatches his hand out of Changmin’s. “I get it. No need to rush things up out of nothing.”

      “No. You don’t get it.” Changmin is serious. “Tortoise is a code for seizing a person without showing force. I say seizing because.” Changmin quickly explains as Junsu’s expression changes. “Some of VIP royal guests have the capacity of creating unnecessary situation. We usually keep it under cover by keeping the person on our silent watch to prevent any unwanted situation and mostly carried out in Palace, not on Cair coastal.”

      “I’m not even a guest.”

Changmin looks at Junsu in his habitual assistant general in command eyes. “Do you have any idea how important you are to both Cair and your cousin’s nation?”

      “No.” Junsu denies though he understands it by now what Changmin means. “I wasn’t supposed to leave my bed at all, was I?”

You’re supposed to never leave me at all, dear carrel, Changmin’s heart aches.

      “They would nicely you somewhere till the people from your ship return. Probably to one of army’s quarter’s lounge.” Changmin keeps looking at the man clad in his coat.

      “No thanks.” Junsu’s defiant eyes are getting clearer. “I’ll get back to the ship.”

       “The royal guards might have been there too. Your ship is under Cair naval force authority right now. Ravi said seagulls stage two before, right? Someone high ranked warrior might have recognized you. Did you meet anyone you know or knows you before I see you?”

Junsu doesn’t answer. Changmin doesn’t need the answer either.

--

      “It’s a must that we leave immediately.” Cassius keeps his politeness in his utmost benign effort. “We have a rushing schedule to arrive on ParoVas’ border on time.”

      “We do understand it, Sir.” The royal secretary is also using his years of experience receiving sudden guest to avoid discomfort. “His majesty is on his way to greet you. Please spare us the honor to welcome you decently.”

Cassius and General Sebastian can’t cover their sighs. It’s already six fifty. Junsu might have woken up and found them away from the ship. Knowing Junsu’s nature of wandering without warning, Cassius is having a bad nagging thought that Junsu would use his absent to look around the coast, hopefully not far and if he does, hopefully not alone. Cassius has issued strict order to the warriors on deck that if he doesn’t return in an hour, they must put Junsu as their top priority. He wishes he had told Junsu about Vaya’s secret plea to send these gifts to Cair. Well, he didn’t. He was planning a very brief visit for Vaya’s behalf not involving Junsu in it. Sebastian agreed with it too. They thought they could go incognito and deliver the gifts right away but yeah.. palace bureaucracy protocol .

The chamber where Cassius, general Sebastia, and seven other warriors in is decorated in light green and dark purple. Cassius detects the increasing royal guard numbers stationed around after an hour and a half.

      “Sebastian.” Cassius calls. “Would it be possible for you to do us a favor?”

Sebastian looks at the aventador accepting the silent order. He nods afterward. “My honor.”

The royal secretary gives both of the men tentative look. “His majesty would be here very soon, Sir. If you could just provide us few more minutes.”

The walk back to their ship takes half an hour. Cassius has to be in his ship right now. Aaron might have sent back some words. “Please excuse my rudeness. General Sebastian would relay our greeting to his majesty on behalf of Windheart. I must take my leave.”

      “Sir. Please.” The royal secretary rises from his seat. It’s beyond impolite to leave an audience seeking with the ruler mid way. The ruler isn’t to welcome and meet any guest twenty four hours. it’s already a big generosity from the ruler’s part to agree welcoming these people in this indecent morning hour.

      “I would assist.” Lead general Park Yoochun steps in. “Would you mind my poor company, Aventador?”

No more room for surprise. It may surprise the royal secretary as he is, perhaps, the only uninformed figure of who their guests are. The rest of Cair (more than two third by half an hour ago) have known about Aventador’s visit.

Cassius leave the reception chamber followed by his four warriors, Prince park, and six of Yoochun’s selected first rank warriors.

      “What’s up with the fashion?” Cassius eyes Yoochun’s men. “We aren’t up for a combat.”

      “Neither are we.” Yoochun clears his throat. “Forgive us, your aventador. I just have a very ugly feeling today. My bad.”

      “Funny. Me too.” Cassius says. “Should we rush?”

      “Please lead us.”

They ride their horses in fast pace polluting morning air with heavy dust. They reach Cair harbor in nineteen minutes and progress to the bent twister right away. Yoochun’s figure in the group clears their path in an instant. It’s their leading general. No protocol needed when Yoochun is there with the guests.

Their bad feelings hit back in their face as Cassius and Yoochun see a smaller boat-like ship docking right beside the bent twister. A man stands by the line of the beach wave. His expression is dark.

      “Not good.” Cassius hisses. “Not good, your highness.”

Mars casually approaches the newly returned aventador. “Aaron goes on as you ordered, aventador.” He smiles oddly. “Do you mind letting me in your ship crew?”

Cassius gulps. “I mind, actually. Someone might.. not agree with your request.”

      “No problem.” Mars chuckles coldly. “I’ll ask him myself. Later. Let me find him first.” The aventador walks past the stunned figures.

Yoochun curses over and over silently as he turns around to his first rank warriors. “Turtoise?” He barks at them.

Mars halts his walk. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you, your highness.” He says. “I’m not going to harm anyone but myself.” He unties his cape sliding it off of his figure and leaves it on the ground. It’s his aventador’s cape. He throws his sword away too.

Well, perhaps just one person, Mars resumes his walk. If his intuition doesn’t fail him, which is hardly ever if not never, Mars just needs to deal with one person.