Vinth. 17

Vinth.

 

Vinth. 17

 

Windheart is the capital region of the Zhangs’ four lands. It’s relatively small site judging by the width and length of the four lands held together standing as one nation. It’s far from its coastal border too which gives time for Vaya and Cassius to pull off quick safety plan before Seth finds and brings Mars back to their head quarter. Etto, their usual messenger among Aventa/dors is not around either which leaves Zax or Seth as the best available option to find Mars as well as drop words to aventa Maya to come to Windheart welcoming the guests. Or, to calm Mars a bit.

Everyone is in the benefits of the doubt of what might come.

 

Aventa Maya lives in Autumn land for a lot of reasons. She is a teacher, half healer and mother of three children. Her being appointed as Aventa extends her wings of responsibility to the concern of general education, health and children welfare of the Zhangs. She is the oldest amongst the foursome aventa/dors and the first person after Juno winning Junsu’s trust. Junsu sees his mother in her that he’s been spending much of his time with the aventa. Maya isn’t as good as Nana, the well known traveling healer, yet she’s the one people refer to when they think of warm home and peace. She heals people and teaches children for free. In return, people shower her with everything she might need. Her house is no different from any commoners that people from other lands of the Zhangs’ often mistake it. It’s one simple looking house rooming twenty or more rooms for various functions; resting beds for those in sick, stranded travelers, guests etc. She rarely leaves her house due to her responsibility in school and treating people. She doesn’t possess Nana’s inner healer eyes but she does share any common healer’s instinct when it comes to people.

      “Nikanth?” Junsu catches the Aventa’s youngest son’s sneaking out movements passing his resting room. It’s forty minutes to midnight. The boy should have been asleep. “What are you-

      “Sshh..” The eight year old boy shushes Junsu. “Quiet. Mama will hear.” He pushes Junsu back to the room to make his point clearer. “Stay where you are.”

Junsu pulls the boy with him inside his room. “You shouldn’t leave your home without mama’s permission after bed time, boy.”

      “You shouldn’t meddle in other’s business.” Nikanth scowls at the guest. “Calleph Seth just came and now is speaking to Mama. Nadia told me I could leave my homework and sleep earlier. No leaving room till tomorrow. That’s suspicious.”

Junsu doesn’t know Seth is here. “Perhaps your mama and Calleph Seth are discussing something serious. You shouldn’t eavesdrop on them.”

Nikanth rolls his eyes. “I didn’t want to eavesdrop, sir. I just wanna see Calleph Seth’s ride.”

      “Yeah?” Junsu doesn’t buy it. “Then why did you sneak through my room? The horses’ stall is over there, mister.” His chin gestures at the opposite direction of his door.

      “Just being careful.” Nikanth doesn’t budge. “I thought you’ve had been asleep by now. You usually sleep not long after dinner.”

True, though not accurately correct. Junsu sleeps way later than people assume.

      “You could see Calleph Seth’s horse tomorrow morning.”

      “Nadia won’t allow me.” Nikanth makes a face. “I haven’t finished doing my homework. She’ll nag at me to complete it before school starts. Can I see it now, please?”

      “Nadia must have good reason for that, mister.” Junsu shakes his head. “Besides, it’s late. You shouldn’t wander outside at this hour.”

      “It’s not that outside.” The boy protests.

      “Should I call Nadia?” Junsu teases Nikanth. The boy’s eyes widen at the mentioned name, defying. “I’ll take you to the stall tomorrow morning if you promise you won’t sneak out.” Junsu smiles. “Nadia would agree if I talk to her. How about that?”

Nikanth eyes the male guest. “My homework?”

      “We’ll go back to your chamber now. You’ll sleep or stay in your room; no sneaking out like a good warrior you are till morning and I’ll take you to horse stall first thing tomorrow morning when you wake up.” Junsu places a deal. “Okay, sir?”

Nikanth thinks about it for two minutes. “Ok.”

      “Warrior’s word.” Junsu raises his fist.

      “Warrior’s word.” Nikanth copies Junsu and bump their fists as the seal.

They both grin. “Come on, warrior, sir. Let’s go back to your castle fortress before watch lady Nadia sees you roaming around past bed time.”

Nikanth obeys. Junsu never reveals the boy’s efforts bending the rules to Nadia, Nikanth’s personal patron lady, despite the numerous times he catches the boy red handed in the middle of his actions. Instead, he smoothly helps Nikanth getting his way but with advanced condition. Just like now.

      “Tomorrow morning.” Junsu repeats.

      “What if Calleph Seth doesn’t stay till tomorrow?”

Junsu rubs his chin, faking thinking. “Hmm.. I’ll show you some deceiving kick moves?”

      “You will?”

      “Just few moves. I bet you’ll learn it all soon from Calleph Arga.”

      “Cool.” Nikanth beams. “Night, Junsu.” He gives the man a short hug.

      “Night.” Junsu closes the boy’s bed chamber door. He waits by the closed door till he hears the sound of occupied bed and pulled blanket before walking quietly to the main lounge area. Seth is here. That’s quite unusual since Seth hardly leaves his post as Aventador Cassius’ third hand in command in Windheart. Junsu would understand if it’s Mars though he would much more appreciate it if Mars doesn’t just pop up less than 24 hours wherever Junsu goes.

Junsu meets two Windheart men standing not far from the aventa work room. They quickly bow their heads at Junsu seeing Junsu’s figure approaching them.

      “Everything alright?” Junsu greets back. “Shouldn’t you get some rest by now? It’s near midnight.”

One of the men nudges his friend who clears his throat in a hurry. “Erm.. we are.. under important order, your av- Junsu, sir.”

These people often slip their tongue addressing Junsu. “I see. Have you had anything for food or drink? I bet you’ve been riding your horses nonstop to get here.”

      “We have, sir.” the other man nods. It is indeed a nonstop ride. They left Windheart as soon as Seth called for them and no break during the journey. “We’re going to ride on in any moment.”

      “At least relax your tired aching back, gentlemen.” Junsu suggests. “I believe sitting wouldn’t harm anyone.”

      “Thank you, sir.” Though the suggestion isn’t taken. The men prefer their current post just in case. Junsu knows not to say more words. He decides he’d better walk back to his chamber and has walked by several doors when his name is summoned by a motherly voice.

      “Junsu?” the called name hesitates. He keeps on walking ahead till the woman repeats the call. “Junsu! Come here.”

--

Warmth and light chatter engulf the spacious oval chamber where Vaya welcomes and greets the royalty of Cair. The chamber is as old as every other inch of the head quarter’s parts. The walls are naturally red brown of stones and bricks, odd yet calming. Unlike Cair royal hall, wide, fine built and decorated enhancing its function and beauty, this living room –if you simply say so- is nowhere quarter close to Cair’s finer feast for the eyes and royalty feels yet this very spacious chamber meets your senses as something homy, something comfy, something tender but strong and firm.

The royal guests hardly see any ranks or distinguished status here except for Aventa Vaya and Aventador cassius. The rest of the hosts wear nearly similar kind of clothing. What differ them perhaps simply the color and how they wear it. The royal guests have to be more careful with their manner not wanting to mistake the it people with the maids or helpers.

      “I hope our simple homemade cooking could appease your taste, gentlemen and sires.” Vaya bows a bit signaling the guests to enjoy the served dishes. “I do beg your pardon for our lacking in welcoming you. It really is a pleasant surprise to be visited by a grand country people like Cair. We are nothing in hospitality compared to your kindness.”

      “Please, Aventa.” One of the guests responds. “This is so.. excuse my manner. I’m just.. unable to find words for giving this delicious dish justice.”

Many murmurs are heard seconding the sentence. Vaya wears her usual aventa smile thanking the man.

      “We are sending some to royal ship crews as well. I hope it won’t be taken as dishonoring you.”

      “Thank you.” The man who seems to be the spokesperson of the guests, replies. “It’s true what our people heard that The Zhangs are highly thoughtful and generous.”

They continue the engaging small talk throughout the friendly reception barely brushing the topic of their visiting purpose. It’s always better to bring the prime topic up when everyone has already been settled. The cair royal reps wait for the better moment, preferably after the reception is over, while the Zhangs’ figures wait for their two other Aventa/dor’s arrival.

The easy chit chat and familiar cutlery gestures are put on pause for several seconds when the standing guards on the entrance door re-shift their body poses giving salute to someone entering the chamber. Heads turns, eyes expecting some awaited sight. Their wishes are granted.

      “I’m late.” Mars walks in with a held sword in his right hand. “I’m terribly sorry for my bad manner, gentlemen.” His long nearly touching the floor layered robe swishes gracefully as his firm feet progress farther. His shoulder length dark brown hair is tied funnily into one messy tail yet somehow it advances his fine facial features. The usual playful smile is tugged on his lips but his eyes are sharp and if you could look better, they are on fire.

Juno immediately switches his position to his auto post whenever Mars is in his combat mode. He stands next to Mars’ right, alarmed, though none of the guests understand the unspoken formation. Zax follows Juno’s auto movements seconds later by standing behind the Aventador, shoulders and legs on their any ready strike pose.

Vaya sends silent question to her husband. What make Mars wears his combat mask? Cassius has spoken to several people of the Cair royal reps before. None indicates any possible rising conflict or clashes. It’s clear that they come to Windheart in peace. Juno shakes his head quietly, barely invisible but to Vaya and Cassius. The zhangs’ general has no idea either but whatever it is, Mars never puts on his combat mode unless it’s needed.

      “I met Seth last night.” Mars breaks the ice, smiling. “I rode back to Windheart right away. It’s a big honor for us to be graced by your visit, sir.” his head and shoulders fall forward following the course of bowing. “Aventa Maya would arrive soon, I guess. I hope you don’t mind waiting for a while more.”

      “Don’t bother, Aventador Mars.” The spokesperson bows back from his seat, standing. “We are very thankful that we are welcomed warmly here. It’s our fault that we didn’t send you a notice before. Our ruler would like to keep it as a friendly surprise. We hope our sudden visit do not interrupt anything.”

Mars returns the hearty gesture. “It’s a surprise indeed. We could have prepared better reception. Cair was generous to us when we’re invited there.”

The atmosphere turns slightly tense. Mars is smiling playfully when he says his sentences but none in the room misses his coated flat tone.

The spokesperson clears his throat, aware of the unsaid implication and the threatening downturn of the current atmosphere if he’s not careful. “We are most content with everything, Aventador. This is so kind of you and the Zhangs people.”

      “We’ve just harvested grapes and melons.” Vaya quickly steps in. It’s her very place to keep the peace going and makes sure no single pebble slips amidst their hospitality. “It’s not marketed on the overseas trading yet. Would you care for some?” She signals the standing maids to bring out the said fruit. Her smooth body gesture warns Mars not to start a thing. Green grapes and melons are soon filling the tables accompanied by syrup and honey.

      “Have some try. I’m sure they won’t disappoint you.” Vaya encourages. The guests comply happily while the hosts release better breaths. Mars’ eyes are keeping their sharp on fire mirror scanning face per face of the guests thoroughly searching for any clue. He doesn’t know what he’s looking for. It’s his warrior gut telling him that he mustn’t lose his guard.

The reception is reaching an end after another hour passes. Tables are carefully cleaned, drinks are refreshed by lighter ones, maids are distributing small bite-sizes of sweet cakey pieces.

The spokesperson decides it’s good to start. He makes casual hand gestures that seem normal for common eyes but carry an order for the trained fellow Cair warriors. It’s time. Four of the guests excuse themselves from the chamber raising attention from the hosts. The curiosity meets its floor of explanation as the spokesperson benignly unveils counted word per word delivering the explanation of their visit to everyone in the chamber.

--

Changmin is busy composing his will and control of everything making a Shim Changmin. His eyes and mind are not in sync with the task at hand yet he does the deed without flaw. It’s simple. Carrying and presenting the three wrapped gifts to the Aventa before the expecting or judging eyes of the audience. He and five other men, four of them are second rank warriors of Lee MinHo’s fine men, the other man is a middle class royal servant selected specifically by Changmin himself to keep with his own plan, are shouldering the opportunity to bring the gifts for the Aventa’s newborn baby boy. Each crated gift is held by two men. Changmin shares the smaller crate with the royal servant he chose, standing after the four warriors waiting for his turn presenting the gift to the Aventa/dor. His eyes are on the floor all of the times. What he learned from prison is the floor, however ugly or basic it is, provides advantage for his senses to asses and figure out what and who. He could tell the anticipation, the excited murmurs, the unpolished body languages from the reflections he sees on the floor. He understood it long ago why and how experienced/long time servants and maids keep things together even before their employers pronounce single syllable. The shadows reflection on the floor gives them enough raw sources. Prison has taught him that footsteps speak their own course. Those in real authority have this signature weight and firm command on their steps. Those who like to pretend they are as important as some figures would add unnecessary toes on their way. Those first rank, those second rank, the usual maids bringing food, the usual guards in charge for the ‘routine’, the stuff. Changmin’s eyes comb shadow after shadow on the floor, searching, waiting, confirming. Voices and their tones take turn filling the large chamber Changmin doesn’t bother to listen to. He has his own mind to take care of. Better importance.

The servant stealthily turns his head to his right, eyes blinking, unsure.

Changmin sends an assuring smile as he lifts his head a little bit, tilting an inch to convince the servant that it’s going to be fine.

      “And this is our royal consort personal gift.” They both hear their ambassador’s line.

It’s Changmin’s and the servant’s cue to move forward, bow and slowly hand the gift over to two other pairs receiving open hands.

      “Our royal consort insists on sending this, Aventa.” The spokesperson lightly goes on. “His royal highness would like you to see it as a small greeting for the prince. He wishes to be granted a favor of meeting the prince someday.”

      “That’s very kind of him.” Comes the unmistakably grateful response. “We are utterly blessed to receive such wishes and generosity from Cair.”

Changmin and the servant retreat from the spot, walking back following the previous four warriors presenting the gifts before them. They do not join the four warriors sitting together with the ambassador group, though. Changmin chooses the guarding stands along the Cair people, positioning himself as one of the low guards on duty keeping the safety of Cair reps. The servant simply follows him. From his standing post, Changmin studies the chamber and the hosts better. His eyes are still on the floor not wanting to cross anyone knowing what his cold eyes would spring uninvited discomfort upon the locals. The royal servant breathes in relief next to him, feeling the erased burden from his shoulder just to welcome another breeze of discomfort.

      “Sir..”

      “He’s not here.” Changmin says in a very low voice completing the servant’s intended sentence. “I know, Hansol. He’s not here.”

The servant, Hansol, blows heavy air out of his mouth quietly. “It’s not that.”

Changmin keeps a steady firm stand. “It will be over soon. Chill up.”

      “Um.. Sir.. It’s.. It’s..

      “What is it?” Changmin feels the guards’ eyes standing near shooting warning toward them but call it back as soon as it comes. They know who Changmin is.

      “I think.” Hansol tries his best ignoring his under strict watch by someone alarm. “It’s better for us to leave now?”

Changmin turns his head fully at the servant. “It’s rude. We come here to show our sincerity shortened the long burned bridge with them. Leaving the ongoing reception would defect our intention.”  

Hansol perfectly understands the critical motion of their calculated moves yet he couldn’t shake off the uneasy feeling boring through his skin and flesh.

      “Someone is watching us.” Hansol breathes the words in difficulty. “Like really watching us.”

Changmin pulls back a cynical snort. Hansol doesn’t have to tell him that. He has known it from the very beginning his eyes meet the reflected shadow on the cleanly mopped plain brown floor. He says nothing in return because it’s useless. Changmin knows who those watchful eyes belong to. He has faced the owner once on the night Junsu left Cair. It’s one of his reasons why he keeps his gaze low. Changmin could feel the attacking heat emanating from the eyes even from his distance. He steps a foot closer to Hansol’s standing spot instead taking the directed daring eyes more to him than to Hansol. He has slightly opens his mouth saying something to the servant when a small group of people make their entrance to the chamber. Changmin automatically straightens his posture taking his guard on duty role seriously, eyes straight planted on the ankle length of the new arrivals.

From the step movements, he figures out the first man heading to the central table where the Aventa and Aventador are seated is the front man of the group, someone in charge of protection and authority as his steps are light yet hitting the ground in easy strength. Someone you don’t want to mess with anywhere. The men following him afterward are people below his rank. Fine soldiers or guards whose steps are varying from forced show to simply habitual exposures. Changmin lifts his gaze a little at the feel of light typical female footsteps. People moves from their seats at a sudden on the sight of the female appearance. The hosts first which soon imitated by the guests. Must be someone top knot important.

      “Aventa Maya.” He hears the half exclamation from the other Aventa. More fast steps, fast body gestures, fast exchanges of affectionate greetings. the circling friendly atmosphere blossoms into more intimate relaxed one as if the companion of fiery element, the cold water, has been poured onto them.

      “I’m sorry it takes longer while to leave home.” Changmin hears soft tickling voice. “Nikanth pulled a show.” There’s genuine caring and soothing assurance in her voice reminds the Cair tall warrior of his happy childhood. “Are we too late?”

Changmin hears the Cair ambassador nurturing the polite small talk. More warm exchanges and more shadows reside on the central table. Pleasantry hasn’t fully stretched out between the ambassador and the new arrived Aventa when Changmin’s gaze falls on the last footstep soundlessly entering the chamber.

It’s feet of one grown up man. In full composure, nearly undetected yet the rapid steps give away the physical force this man carries within. It’s the vibe of a high skilled fighter oozing its effortlessly commanding state and clear message to be left alone unless you win his approval to come closer. The well barricaded self fortress-guard is unmistakably familiar. Changmin can’t help gazing up landing his eyes on the firm grip of fingers holding a long wrapped blade. Fine smooth fingers that look like too delicate wrapping over something as blunt as blade but the ease of the grip proves it otherwise. His heart hitches and stops. His eyes widen together with the fastened rate of his pulse and running blood. In half a second Changmin’s head snaps meeting the full figure of the walking man heading to the central table.

Hansol gasps beside him.

Only few people knew Hanxi back then when the carrel lived in the Palace. Fewer people knew him closer that none of the Cair reps recognizes the last figure in Aventa Maya’s guarding men is their Cair ex carrel. None but Hansol and Changmin.

Both of them couldn’t believe what they see. Eyes wide open at the sight of one man clad in dark green attire walking easily past them. The green is so dark it’s nearly seen as black yet Junsu’s now semi tanned complexion keeps the green intact. In fact, it goes so well with his skin that the combination of darkest green and tanned fairly skin ring a glorious match with Junsu’s dark browny black hair and.. Changmin knows Junsu’s eye color. Changmin knows how defiant and daring they are despite the common brown colored orbs blended well with a touch of black edge. The Cair private royal warrior has no chance to etch the details of Junsu’s look and all since the ex carrel walks too fast passing him. Changmin hasn’t gotten past his initial first shock awed and statue-like phase upon finally laying his very eyes on the person he’s been dreaming, missing and looking for when another scene dances out right before his eyes.

The one who has been watching him and Hansol under fiery eyes, Aventador Mars, leaves his grand spot hugging Junsu in front of everyone. The chamber meets its previous abrupt changed situation when all eyes and mouth kept open yet shut for the offered scene. Mars doesn’t leave his place when Aventa Maya enters the chamber. Aventa Maya, the oldest and most respected Aventa of them four. The one they always consult for the welfare of their lands and people. The one whom considered the mother of the Zhangs but he leaves his standing corner to hug this mere guard?

      “You come too.”

And slowly, very slowly like the process of igniting fire on two wet tree branches and wet stones, the man in hugged arms detaches from the hold turning around to see the faces of Cair reps. Changmin’s held breaths bump onto the familiar calm eyes yet the whole new frame look of Junsu. Aside from the eye color that remains the same, everything on Junsu has changed. Has elevated to a state of beyond defiant. It’s inexplicable. Changmin feels like, if Junsu is near or he is closer to Junsu, he’s going to lose everything him in an instant. Junsu is.. Beautiful isn’t the word. Handsome doesn’t fit him. Fierce is the contrast of his delicate features but round it up you’ll deny in full might that Junsu is everything close to common. The way his eyes calmly gaze over the faces of the guests. The way his lips form a sign of moving but stay still. The way his hand grips the long blade. The way his shoulder length black hair pulled back yet the playful strands curtaining his side face. The way his shoulders square up speaking his confidence. The way his head turns..

The halted friendly atmosphere reforms once Aventa Maya flashes her genuine smile continuing her conversation with the Cair ambassador. People reluctantly lead their gazes somewhere else because they know better. It’s Mars there.

      “Cair.” Mars says. One simple word that brings all the changes on the ex carrel’s look.

Changmin bites his inside lips to prevent his feet from running to and hugging Junsu. His chest is stuffed with sand and salt, whirling water and drizzle, warm lit fire and rain at the same time. He can’t breathe. Can’t define the feels growing on his skin and heartbeats.

      “Cair.” Junsu lowly repeats.

      “You don’t have to, Junsu.”

But the calm beady eyes have traveled among faces and figures, finding one particular look and body he knows well among the guarding warriors and servants standing in gaping mouth as wide as the round eyes of their possible fullest round shape.

And then Junsu smiles.

      “Hansol.” He calls, somewhere between grinning and scowling. “Hansol! You!”

The servant doesn’t move an inch, too struck in shock.

      “Hansol.”

One third of the audience watch the slow motion of the ex carrel half runs toward the royal servant, pulls the frozen servant into hug and shakes the poor servant playfully.

      “You stubborn Hansol.” Junsu loosens his tight hug. “You didn’t hear me calling you?” the eyes narrow in accusation.

      “Ca-carrel H-Ha-Hanxi…”

Junsu smacks the servant’s shoulder. “How many times have I told you to call my name only, huh?”

      “You’re.. you are..

      “Hanxi.” Junsu repeats. “Or Junsu. Any name you feel comfortable to call me. Come on.”

      “Hanxi.” Hansol blinks, still struggle with the shock. “Carrel Hanxi.” It’s so different. too different from Hanxi he thinks he knows and this.. this.. person. This someone is too far from Hansol’s memory of Hanxi. Too upside down west east different. he needs time to deal with the overwhelming feels waving into him when this new Hanxi hugs him.

      “Right.” Junsu pulls the servant’s hand. “Come. Let’s talk somewhere else. It’s crowded here.”

Hansol barely moves. He isn’t allowed to leave the ship or the crew alone. Especially because Lord Shim the third Changmin forces on his presence among the crew. “I shouldn’t..

Junsu’s beaming eyes abruptly meet another close pair of rich dark brown orbs standing right beside Hansol.

It’s only three or four seconds. No longer than a glance or a blink yet it breaks all the tall dams barring Changmin’s reality and dream.

Three seconds is all it takes to wipe everything else surrounding him but Junsu’s eyes looking at him. All it takes to freeze unnecessary ornaments in the realm of Junsu and Changmin. All it takes to run the image of nightmare after nightmare with Changmin’s eyes in the wake duty and before he could stop himself, Changmin reachs out for the flesh and body he’s been yearning like nothing else ever. Three seconds their eyes meet. Another three seconds his arms move reaching for Junsu. Three other seconds he is pushed away harshly by the physical force he doesn’t expect to encounter and the next three seconds one long bared blade clashes against one thin sharp sword.

Tring! Tring!

Changmin’s fast defense keeps him from falling hard somewhere and sets his sensitive alarm off in second. He just uses instinct and gut snatching the nearest weapon within his hand forming a shield and a counter attack in defensive subconscious but what his all senses provide him a second later halts his movement midway.

Junsu’s long blade meets Aventador Mars’ thin sharp sword. Ice and fire. Ocean and desert storm.