Vinth. 12

Vinth.

Vinth. 12

 

      “I didn’t mean to distrust you, Chun.” Changmin starts. They are left alone as Changwook and Il woo are asked to give them privacy to straighten things up. “I just couldn’t say it to you. He doesn’t want anyone know who he is. I couldn’t hurt him more by telling you that Hanxi is a Kim.”

      “I figured so.” Yoochun agrees. “But again, you didn’t trust me enough to prolong the secret in my hand. To Il woo and Changwook’s too. How long have we known each other, Min? How many battles have we conquered together, side by side as comrades and friends? You know someone’s true color in a cornered battlefield. We all have proven that we are the extended hands and feets for each other. We are the lengthened weapons and shield for each other. We wouldn’t let our hands go in near death, why would we diss you for a small matter like your love life? Had you told us about it, we could have done something about it to help Hanxi and you. I didn’t. I told Heechul he went to your house.”

Changmin feels guilty. “It just.. I have hurt Hanxi so much, Chun. I don’t want to add his pain. I’m going to tell you soon once our relationship settled. He’s.. he hasn’t accepted my proposal till today, Chun. He still sees me as the source of his pain.”

Yoochun pats Changmin’s arm. “I totally feel you, Min. I have three Kims in my bed, remember?”

      “I’m sorry.”

      “Just don’t keep things from us anymore, okay? We might be a good help when things turn back against you or Hanxi.”

Changmin nods in deeper gratitude.

      “Heechul knows him?”

      “Course. You can’t get to a Kim better than a Kim himself.”

      “Did he say the name?”

      “No. He’s smart, Min. I didn’t tell him Hanxi had been sent back to Palace once I realized what’s going on. I told him Hanxi was sentenced for six months.”

Changmin breathes in relief.

      “It’s Kim Junsu, isn’t it?”

Changmin couldn’t hide it anymore. “Yes. Kim Junsu.”

      “I did a brief check on royal administration before I tagged Il woo along to see you. I searched on the registered taken figures from Malthveck. All are there except your carrel. I found his name on the written scroll as recruited training soldier Kim Junsu and that’s all. No more.”

      “He changed into Hanxi.” Changmin huffs. “I wish I knew why he did so. So far I could talk to him is always about not sne- not putting himself in possible danger.”

Yoochun doesn’t miss the slip. “Sne what? Sneaking?” he frowns. “He sneaks out of palace?”

Changmin curses at his stupid tongue. “Not from palace. From me.” He quickly corrects. “Hasn’t Jonghyun told you how Hanxi always ignored me during royal schedule?” He changes the topic. “You know I have to use his secret to make him agree spending night out with me.”

Yoochun laughs. “You’re whipped so bad. Did he bite you or what?”

Changmin shakes his head. “He.. didn’t respond to me at all.” the tall assistant general bites his inside lip. “I just found out how awful it was for being unwanted.”

      “He didn’t?”

      “Didn’t.” Changmin repeats. “Too much pain inside him.” The nightmares are worse. The pain on Junsu’s sleeping figure is so raw and deep Changmin feels like holding the carrel tight for good to ease it.

Yoochun catches the same pain on his close friend’s look. “Just give him time.”

      “It’s what I’m doing now.”

      “I should have had known Hanxi is a Kim from the moment you’d been staring at him in the Arena. No wonder he reminds me of someone. Not the look or appearance. The vibe he carries with him. It’s undeniably a Kim’s charms.”

--

The usual ambience of royal dining hall transforms into lavish dinner event for tonight. Royal figures are seen in one of their finest appearances gracing the luxurious redecorated royal main dining hall anticipating for the night. Extra warriors and guards are stationed in every corner of the dining hall to ensure safety and smoothness of the occasion. More grand royal tables and seats are added to accommodate number of royal figures joining the dinner. Prince Park and his three private honored carrel/itas make their first entrance followed by several senior royal officials, generals, the queen’s family and relatives, Prince Jung, and Prince Lee. The royal dining hall soon filled by almost all royal figures residing in Cair.

Queen Ara enters the dining hall fifteen minutes later followed by the royal consort and the ruler. They make such a grand perfect royal picture representing the night. The ruler’s hand, as usual, is holding the royal consort’s hand, rubbing and squeezing it gently. They exchange soft murmurs unheard by people but those who stand very close to them.

They are waiting for the royal guests’ appearance to start the dinner. Five minutes has passed since the ruler’s arrival. The guests should have been here sooner. It’s rude making the host waiting more than five minutes.

The west door opens.

      “I’m sorry we are late.” Vaya bows her head as she walks easily making her entrance. Two tall guards are behind her.  Heads turn at her figure. Eyes widen in awe at her stunning look. She wears long yellow creamy gown that does very well job flattering her body silhouette and complexion. Her long black hair is woven to her right side exposing the smoothness of her neck skin. Her vertical line earring sways in glitter as she walks forward toward the queen’s direction. She looks amazingly beautiful, shining and glowing in sparks and warm smiles. Yoochun holds his breaths watching the Aventa’s every step not bothering the nudges his carrelita Kim Tae hee makes to his side, too fascinated.

Zax walks in right after the Aventa dragging two other guards with him, looking his usual playful and handsome. The Aventa takes the whole eyes for herself.

      “Mars has just arrived.” The aventa informs. “We’re late because of him.”

Ara’s eyes are still at the west door, waiting and expecting for the Aventa’s personal caretaker.

      “Young will join us later together with Mars.” Vaya gives the answer before the queen asks. “They are best friends. Hardly separated when they meet.”

      “Please have a seat.” Yunho says gesturing the Aventa toward the prepared royal guest seats. “Let’s dine first. Empty angry stomach isn’t good for our health.”

The dinner starts. Royal servants move fast serving dishes after dishes on the dining table. The sound of light clanks of eating utensils in use heard pleasantly through the air.

      “It’s delicious.” Vaya enjoys her meal. “Cair indeed is the home for health and prosperity.”

      “Thank you, Aventa.” Ara smiles. “We are glad you find our food agreeable.”

      “Most of us aren’t picky eaters.” Vaya says after taking some drink. “We eat almost everything saves for Mars.”

      “Aventador Mars doesn’t eat much?”

      “He’s unpredictable.” Vaya shrugs. “One time he eats up everything clean and shiny. Another time he barely touches his food.”

      “I hope he’ll agree with our dishes tonight.”

      “I’m not on your side, your majesty.” Vaya chuckles. “He’ll eat up literally everything if he does. Not a good impression for Cair.”

      “Never bother about impression.” Yunho steps in. “One of my good friends there.” He smartly points at Prince Park without being too obvious. “Eats like machine. You’ll be surprised once you see how much food he could sweep clean in one go.”

Yoochun’s eyes meet Yunho’s mischievous eyes. The prince arches one of his eyebrows in question as if he knows what the ruler has just said about him.

Vaya suppresses her free laugh. “All great warriors are the same, it seems.”

The east doors open revealing four warriors and royal officials. Now appointed junior commander Ji Changwook, first class warrior Lee Jonghyun, assistant general Shim Changmin and the newly appointed secretary of elite royal force Robinson Mann. Prince park waves his hand at the new entrees. He calls them to join his table.

Ten minutes later, several other first class warriors make their entrance inside the dining hall including Kim Hyunjoong, Kim Soohyun and Kim KyuJoong. Now it’s Prince Choi waving his hand at his fellow squad members. The rest of the royal warriors quickly occupy any available seats provided for royal force warriors.

Dessert is served. All carrel/itas gradually take their place based on their ranks. Claudia walks first flipping his well styled long hair stealing attention as usual. She’s free to join any table as she’s the sole holder of golden rank today. She chooses Prince Il woo’s table, the exact opposite from Prince Park’s.

      “I hope I’m granted to pay a little company for your dinner tonight.” Claudia bows before she is allowed to sit. None could really say no to her. People hastily make room for her. She smiles in gratitude as she seats herself across the busy prince Park’s direction.

Jung il woo could feel carrelita Kim Dasoom’s eyes sending darts at him. He scratches his hair uneasily. He prefers clashing sword against enemies than being involved in women rivalry.

 

Changmin can’t believe his eyes when he finally sees Junsu. It takes time to be able finding Junsu’s figure among the standing in pose white carrels. He has to check every white carrel’s figure one by one to find Junsu since all of them looks different tonight. Every carrel looks astonishingly good for tonight’s dinner though none is half close to look as alluring as Claudia. Changmin can’t recognize Junsu at first try. He has to double check the white carrel lines before his eyes lock their gazes onto the third figure from the right corner.

      “Someone is in trouble.” Yoochun whistles at the stunned assistant general. “Don’t tell me you’ve never seen him before, Min.”

But it’s indeed like seeing Junsu for the first time. The long white robe wrapping his build brings out the shine in the carrel’s figure. Simple yet elegant accessories added on Junsu’s appearance complete the exquisite posture besides the applied make up and the well styled-groomed black hair.

      “Close your mouth, please.” Changwook nudges Changmin’s arm. “I’m eating here, man.”

      “That’s what happens when a Kim acts like a Kim.” Yoochun smirks. “No single move yet and hearts bend onto their feet. Welcome to the club.”

      “He looks so different tonight.” Jonghyun agrees. “I didn’t really look at him when he was training in the Arena but I do remember he’s not how he looks tonight.”

      “Carrel registrars do their job well.” Yoochun sips his wink. “Knowing Hanxi’s record, someone in upper line of power in carrel quarter sat him down to look presentable. He does look presentable.” Yoochun teases. “Too presentable in fact.” Yoochun turns to Changmin who still hasn’t said a word since he spots Junsu. “Jonghyun, can you slap the alien sitting with us right now?”

Changwook does the favor. He flicks Changmin’s forehead hard resulting in a..

      “Ouch!” Changmin’s hand catches and twists Changwook’s faster hand dodging the expected reflex movement. “Hands off!” Changmin glares his coldest mean eyes at his friends.

Changwook raises hands in defeat gesture. “Just remind you not to turn into complete statue.”

      “I’m fine.” Changmin’s voice is as cold as his glare. “Mind your own business.”

Yoochun chuckles. “Guys, keep him still on his seat till Yunho and the beautiful Aventa rise from their seats.” Yoochun winks at Jonghyun who moves three feet away from Changmin. “I mean it. Don’t let him leave this table till the dinner is officially over.”

      “Should be over right now.” Changmin really wants to run to Junsu.

      “Not yet.” Yoochun is serious. “We are expecting Aventador Mars.”

As if on cue, the south door slowly pushed open. People aren’t paying attention at the sound of firm steps entering the royal dining hall till their eyes meet three tall figures of men in red and black outfit. Two of the figures wear dominant red over black outfit while the other one wears dominant gray over darker gray guard robe. They know right away which one the Aventador. People have met Aventa Vaya personal caretaker on the previous night. They know it’s the man sharing same chamber with the Aventa though he looks downright intimidating and much more guarded than the last time he was seen. His tall figure walks on solid counted steps reverberating combative strong physical power. The eyes are colder and deep with something unknown which make people choose not to cross. The commanding aura is unexpectedly thick and tense in contrast with the aventador’s figure. This one is the opposite of Aventa’s personal caretaker’s vibe. He’s as tall and commanding as the personal caretaker but he oozes playfulness as well as friendliness from his smiling eyes and handsome look. His steps are lazy and draggy. His eyes are daring in teasing glints people automatically smile at the Aventador when he walks past their tables.

Yunho, Ara, Jaejoong, Vaya and Zax rise up from their seats welcoming the three men.

      “I’m deeply sorry for causing troubles.” The aventador bows before the grand royal seats. “Young has to drag me out from my sleep.”

Ara speaks first. “We are very happy to finally meet you, Aventador.”

      “Mars would be much better.” The Aventador looks around. “What a grand chamber.”

      “Please have a seat.” Yunho smiles. “We hope you’ll enjoy the simple dish.”

Vaya snorts. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you before, your majesty.”

      “What did you warn them, Vaya? That Young isn’t available?”

Vaya glares wide at the aventador. She doesn’t want her private engagement with the personal caretaker becomes the subject of their dinner talk but it’s too late.

      “Warrior Young isn’t available?” Ara asks, eyes are all on the tall man standing behind the aventa. Young refuses to sit.

      “They are engaged.” Mars innocently replies. “Young isn’t willing to marry my poor lady here till his quest finding someone is accomplished.”

Jaejoong feels cold sweats greeting his skin. He understands now why Juno kept staring at him on the day before and why Juno complimented his earring.

Yunho notices the changes on his beloved consort’s face color. He steals few seconds finding Jaejoong’s eyes, asking what’s wrong.

      “Finding someone?” Ara asks again.

      “Yes.” Mars starts eating. “Young, tell your majesty about it. Who knows she could help.”

Young says no words despite Ara’s expectant eyes. His eyes go to Jaejoong instead who goes paler at the moment. Yunho senses the inconvenience right away. He clears his throat to save the situation.

      “How do you find our cook’s effort?”

      “Delicious.” Mars is still chewing. “Should have come earlier.”

      “Who are you seeking?” Ara pursues the silent personal caretaker. “His majesty will surely help if it’s in your favor.”

Vaya reaches her fiancé’s hand. “Young, you could tell them. I’m fine with it.”

Juno doesn’t immediately respond. He sends a look at the busy eating Aventador who returns his look for two seconds then goes on devouring his dish.

      “I’ve been looking for someone very dear and important for me.” Juno’s voice is deep and cold. “Someone who shared my old painful history and stayed behind in my previous homeland for taking care of his mother.”

Jaejoong can’t hide his cold sweat anymore. The merciless accusation in Juno’s voice directed to him hits hard at his conscience. Yunho now openly cups Jaejoong’s cheek asking what’s going on with his royal consort.

      “Your brother?” Ara ignores her husband and the consort’s scene. Young is the bearer of Vinth. She could care about Yunho’s open love for jaejoong in public later, not that it bothers her that much either. It’s not the first time she’s left as the third wheel.

      “More than a brother.” Juno’s eyes are piercing pointy blades against Jaejoong. “Thicker than blood.”

Yunho almost snarls at the Aventa’s fiancé not to stare at his consort. “Boo, you are pale. Do you need to leave dinner early?”

Jaejoong’s nervousness is apparent even to the next table from theirs. “I’m.. I’m okay.”

Vaya holds her fiancé’s hand, asking him to tune it down a bit. “His majesty is right, your highness. You look a bit pale.”

      “It’s okay.” Jaejoong tries to smile. “I should have drunk more water before dinner.”

      “How long have you been seeking?” The queen goes on. it’s not typically Jaejoong to steal attention but if he decides to start now, have the floor all for yourself. Ara just wants Young’s favor for her wish.

      “Eight years.” Juno casts his eyes somewhere else. “I returned to my homeland to see and bring him to the Zhangs’ land but he’s not there anymore.”

      “Already left?”

Juno shakes his head. “My homeland had been under someone else’s hand. Most of my people had moved on their own or been taken to other country.”

That gets Yunho’s attention. “Taken?”

      “The old chief of my former homeland was a bast****.” Juno says. “He gambled a lot putting the land as his bet. Many of my people were taken as the payment of his loss.”

Yunho’s ear stings. This story is so similar with his consort’s background.

      “The one I’ve been looking for is one of those taken people. I’ve been wandering from country to country to find him. I asked every ruler and empress whether they took people from my homeland as the ugly payment for the chief’s deed and begged to meet every one of the taken people if it did so.”

      “He usually is with Casius.” Mars adds, his plates and bowl are clean and shiny. “Vaya has to bear long months away from Young because the sooner Young finds his missing man, the sooner they could marry.”

      “He could be anywhere.” Ara sighs, not really sure what she could help. “Finding someone or something is complicated difficult matter. I know how it feels to be in constant worry for the well being of your missing man.” She has been through nights and days praying hard to meet someone who could bring her to Vinth. “I hope you would find him soon.”

      “I will.” Juno leads his gaze back onto Jaejoong. “Soon.”

Yunho realizes the connection. “Where was your homeland?”

      “Malthveck.”

There are more than six pairs of eyes widen in shock hearing the spoken name. Ara drops her fork on the floor upon catching the name of the royal consort’s homeland.

      “That’s.. that’s..” Ara stutters unable to finish her sentence. Her eyes run between the Aventa’s personal caretaker and Jaejoong who goes fully frozen on his seat.

      “You mean your people are the Kims?” Yunho’s blood starts to boil. “Why didn’t you tell us sooner?”

      “Not just any Kim.” Juno corrects. People in dining hall have fallen quiet the moment they hear the clanking sound of the fork on the floor. Eyes are all on the grand royal table, wondering. “This person is very dear to me. I couldn’t just leave him without anything.” Juno’s calm cold voice is heard clearly. “I shared my lucky charm with him before we parted ways. I told him to never take it off whatever happens to keep him safe.”

The dining hall turns into eerie silence.

      “In case something bad happened and things couldn’t be helped, this lucky charm would lead me to him as it does now.”

Jaejoong’s hand flies to his left ear. Yunho’s eyes are shot toward his consort; anger and disbelief are batting for better place on them. jaejoong shakes his head weakly, denying his husband’s accusation.

      “What is the lucky charm?” Yunho asks in trembling voice. If it’s really Jaejoong, he couldn’t exchange the consort for stupid mythical water. No matter however powerful or true the water is. No way he will let the Zhangs take his Jaejoong away from him. No way!

      “It’s with me.” Mars smiles easily unaffected by the heightened tension in the hall. His hand goes inside his collarbone revealing a small black pendant on his necklace. It’s a simple square black diamond earring. “Young trusts me to carry this with me in case I meet his man. It really is a lucky charm. It gives me a lot of helps.”

Ara couldn’t be more shocked. Neither could the ruler who suddenly stands from his seat pulling his consort to stand along with him. “You are not taking Jaejoong from me!!”

All the people in the dining hall copies their ruler’s movement. Royal soldiers and warriors have their hands ready on their weapons. The guards of the Zhangs do not change their steady pose though.

      “You are not taking my consort from me!!” Yunho shouts in anger. “I don’t care whatever or whoever else you want but you will never take him from me!”

Mars stands casually followed by Vaya and Zax. “Young is the Vinth bearer, your majesty. What he wants is the price you must meet to get this.” He shoves his hand inside his robe extracting a small clear golden vial. “Without his and my consent as the bearers, none could lay hand on this Vinth.”

Ara has stood too. “Your majesty…

      “Not Jaejoong!!!” Yunho repeats in thunderous voice. “I’m not exchanging Cair’s future that could be easily made or tailored by other ruler but me for my Jaejoong. That’s final.”

The queen’s eyes are starting to gather rain. “Your majesty, please. You promised.”

      “I promised I would help you getting that stupid water, not giving my Jaejoong as the exchange. No way!!”

Three senior elders of the league come forward.

      “Aventador Mars. Can’t we please talk about it later in more appropriate place and time?”

      “I don’t mind.” Mars nod. “We are about to leave anyway. I’m leaving Cair by midnight. We know it won’t be good to spend another day here, sir.”

      “Aventador. Please.” Ara moves to get to the aventador. “Please don’t leave us yet.”

      “We are leaving.” Mars says playfully. “Since the person Young is looking for is here, we are taking him with us too.”

      “You are not going anywhere with Jaejoong!!” Yunho breathes fire. His hold on Jaejoong’s hand is tightened in deadly grip. “We invite you here relying on your kindness and generosity but you just stabbed our heart with your absurd craziness.”

      “Your majesty..

      “Quiet!!” Yunho roars. “It’s all because of you!!” He points a shaking finger at his queen.” You started all of this!!”

Ara cries into sob. “Please, your majesty. I didn’t-

      “I said quiet!!” Yunho’s face is red from anger. “Jaejoong belongs to Cair. To me.” His thunderous voice reverberates in the silent hall full of royal figures. “One step away from this hall, it means war!” His eyes sweep over the room giving order to the warriors and soldiers who are now holding their weapons bare and ready.

Mars isn’t affected by the changed atmosphere. He smiles serenely like it’s all just a daily joke. “I beg your pardon, your majesty. No need to be so adamant of your point not taking your consort away from you. He’s beautiful, attractive and all but he isn’t welcomed in our ship. No offense, your highness.” Mars bows at Jaejoong’s standing figure. “Young might have some issues with you, that could be managed later. For now, we just need to..” The aventador confidently walks down the hall in easy light step, smile is pasted on his lips as he makes his way amidst the crowd of standing in silent people. “We will leave the Vinth here.” He says calmly, eyes scanning faces he’s passing through. “If you grant us this person to come with us.”

All eyes, once again, are following Mars’ every light step sweeping the hall. He walks on and on passing the royal forces’ table, passing the officials’ table, passing the warriors scholars’ table, passing golden-silver-red-green-blue-yellow carrel/itas’ table and stops at the white carrel section. He smiles disarmingly at one frozen standing man, holding out his hand to reach the carrel’s hand.

      “We meet again, royal servant.” He leans forward placing a soft kiss on the frozen carrel’s cheek. “I knew it’s you we’ve been looking for after you left.”

The solid rock silence is torn into half by a loud shout from the elite royal force’s table. “LEAVE MY JUNSU ALONE!!” Followed by a sound of clashing sharp metal swords. People move saving themselves from the unexpected rapid outcome. One young warrior is holding a sharp sword in burning eyes and striking pose.

      “Hands off my Junsu.” Changmin means every single word he says in rage. “I don’t care what those royal figures want from your people they can burn it to hell. Hands off him! NOW!!”

 

Is it a dream? Is it not? But it feels like a dream. Not a kicking nightmare but close to that. But how can he see dream when he’s sure he’s one hundred percent awake? He’s pulled, he’s pushed, he’s dragged amidst the floating blurr. His brain ceased to function as soon as he recognized Juno. Junsu is there. Juno is here. Juno is speaking to the ruler. Juno, his step cousin, who promised to comeback for him. Juno who told him to keep himself safe till he came back setting Junsu free. Juno is here? in Cair? Really?

      “Junsu!!!”

Junsu is pulled by a pair of strong arms. “Junsu!!”

The called name blinks his eyes, still struggling with his own mind and thought.

      “Leave that sick man, Junsu!!”

That sounds like.. Changmin’s voice. Junsu blinks again. His brain works fast transporting him into the latest situation. Junsu feels the strong hold on his arm by a stranger. His auto defense kicks in as soon as he realizes he’s been pulled to the central spot in the dining hall. He twists the arm sending in his sharp kick and elbow at the same time. “Don’t touch me!!”

Mars staggers backward from the sudden attack. The sword in his right hand leaves a ringing clink sound as its shiny edge meets the floor.

What the hell is going on? Junsu scans around the hall. Prince Park, Prince Jung, warrior Changwook and warrior Jonghyun are blocking Changmin’s trying to break free figure. His eyes meet Changmin’s raging furious eyes.

      “Leave him!” Changmin screams so loud his voice stings the air. “You are my private honored carrel!! You are mine!!”

      “He belongs to himself.” Junsu hears familiar voice he hasn’t heard for so long. “Junsu isn’t anyone’s property.”

      “HE’S MINE! MINE!!”

      “Who is him to you, Junsu?”

Junsu turns around; eyes shine to their fullest meeting Juno’s eyes. “You comeback.”

      “I promised.” Juno walks toward Junsu. “I’ve been looking for you, you sneaky boy.”

      “You really come back.” Junsu is still in disbelief. “You really are here.”

      “I always keep my words, silly.” Juno smiles. His usual cold eyes and voice are replaced by warmth and affection. “I promised I’d comeback for you. I’m coming now. I’m sorry it took long time to find you. I had to track several countries finding your whereabouts.”

Junsu runs to hug his step cousin. “Juno. It’s really you.”

      “Did you give up on me, naughty boy?” Juno hugs back heartily. “You think I had forgotten you?”

Junsu doesn’t answer. He’s too happy to meet Juno again after years not seeing or hearing from the step cousin. “Sorry.”

      “Silly Junsu.” Juno laughs, eyes wet from the flooding emotion. “Let’s go now. I rent a ship for us.”

      “NO! JUNSU! YOU CAN’T LEAVE CAIR. YOU CAN’T LEAVE THE PALACE.”

But Junsu is too occupied with happiness of reuniting with Juno to care about the shouting plead. He nods his head approving Juno’s sentence. Mars sends his sword back to its wrapping knowing that the angry warrior is held safe by his fellow warriors.

      “We’ll take our leave.” Mars walks approaching Yunho’s table. He places two clear golden vials on the dining table before the crying Ara. “The last vinth will be in your hand after thirty days.”

      “Wait.” Yunho holds the Aventador’s hand. “I don’t understand.”

Vaya and Zax bow their heads taking after Juno’s leaving hall figure with Junsu. Jaejoong bites his lips hard he could feel blood dancing on his tongue.

      “Your consort has the answer.” Mars smiles at the ruler. “I believe he knows what to do. We are sorry things turn less favored for your side, your majesty.”

      “LET ME GO!!” they hear high cry in the hall. “I SWEAR I’LL KILL ANYONE TAKING JUNSU AWAY FROM ME.”

      “See you in thirty day, your majesty.” Mars turns around making his way exiting the hall. He walks casually never once affected by the loud shout and movements made by the held back warrior. He walks in all smiles greeting the stoned faces along his way out followed by four guards of the Zhangs’.

 

Changmin uses his most force to set free from the hands, arms, and feet keeping him still. His eyes are boiling red in escalating rage. One more move and he springs free from the lock.

      “Changmin!” Yoochun quickly gathers his reflex to stop the young assistant from running after the Aventador. “Stop it. For God’s sake. Use your head, Min! Use your head!”

People’s eyes are now on the enraged assistant general. “YOU TOLD ME TO USE MY HEAD? HUH? SAY THAT TO THAT F***ING FACE!!” Changmin points his sword right at the royal consort. “TELL YUNHO THAT!! NONE DID A THING WHEN YUNHO STOPPED THEM FROM TAKING THAT DECEIVING CONSORT!! WHY DID YOU BLOCK ME??” Changmin swings his sword forward aiming for Yoochun’s head. Seriously. Yoochun ducks down in time saving his throat.

      “Don’t make me fight you here.” Yoochun hisses. “I know you are angry but use your damn head, Shim Changmin!!”

      “Everyone leaves the hall.” Yunho announces. “You stay here, Siwon, Il woo, MinHo, Yoochun, and you, Shim Changmin.”

The crowd slowly obeys their ruler’s order. Changwook and Jonghyun stay by the door, though, anticipating any outcome be it good or bad.

      “Ara, leave us.”

The queen is soon escorted by her maids and servants. The two vials are still laid on the grand dining table. Changmin stands in smoking head and breaths. His eyes spell fury as his hand holds his sword in tight grip.

      “What did I miss? What’s going on with Changmin and that carrel?” Yunho approaches the four men holding Jaejoong with him.

Siwon seconds Yunho’s question through his eyes. “I’m afraid I’m as clueless as the rest of the people.”

      “He’s my private honored carrel.” Changmin drops all formality and manners. “He was held back here by your carrel quarter because of your guests saying they needed him here.”

      “Private honored carrel?” Yunho frowns. “I should have heard about it if one of the carrels was proposed. It’s Kim Kibum one for Minho, wasn’t it?”

      “Junsu hasn’t accepted the proposal.” Yoochun says. “He is..

      “He’s mine.” Changmin states. “You can’t give him away without my consent and I DO NOT LETTING HIM GO FOR WHATEVER GODDAMN REASONS YOU GIVE ME.”

      “Shim Changmin!!”

      “You could strip my position off anytime.” Changmin rips his embroidered badge showing his status as assistant general off of his shoulder throwing it on the floor. “I don’t need this stupid status. I don’t need royal . I need my carrel back with me!”

Yunho’s face hardens. “Could you please give me a chance to perceive things better before I do something with your temper, warrior Shim?” his cold voice rallies with Changmin’s red angry eyes.

      “You did just the same when those Zhangs people-

      “Changmin!” Il woo cuts in. “Let Yunho hear everything first.”

      “You all can talk it over here till next year, I don’t care.” Changmin snarls. “Right now Junsu is taken to the Zhangs’ ship and they are leaving before midnight. I’m not wasting my time here discussing rubbish with you!” Changmin turns around speeding off to south door in a dash. He runs fast raising his sword high swinging and slaying it against anyone who tries to stop him. Anyone.

      “CHANGMIN! STOP! COMEBACK! CHANGMIN!!”

Siwon reacts fast. “Alert all the men in the Palace. Stop assistant general Shim at any cost!!” He rushes after the fleeing assistant general. His long blade is already in his hand signaling combat call. They hear screaming and crashing things soon followed by the moves of several royal warriors.

      “This is bad.” Il woo has his sword ready. “You guys deal with it. I need to make sure Changmin doesn’t harm our soldiers or worse, himself. The Zhangs will worsen things out if Changmin manages to get to them before Siwon.”

      “I’ll go with you.” Yoochun moves but got hold by MinHo.

      “You know Changmin better than I do.” MinHo gets his blade on his hold. “Yunho needs the details. Il woo and me will put leash on those long legs.” He nods his head at Yunho and Il woo who nods back approving Minho.

      “Don’t be too long, though.” Il woo says. “We know how bad Changmin can be when his temper gets the better of him.”

--

      “Come sit.” Yunho leads them to nearest chairs. Yoochun takes the first move to sit, eager to get through it to join his friends stopping Changmin from making more stupid mistake.

      “Boo.” Yunho rubs Jaejoong’s freezing hand. “I don’t understand why Mars picked that white carrel. Who is he? Your relative? A Kim?”

Jaejoong inhales and exhales long breaths. “He’s my cousin.”

Yoochun knows he shouldn’t be surprised at anything right now but it still surprises him. Junsu is Jaejoong’s cousin? And he’s left forgotten for these long eight years? None remembers or cares? The royal consort’s cousin? Really?

      “We are not close.” Jaejoong lowers his head; guilt starts to spread its nets all over him. “Never was either. He’s always at home tending his sick mother. I only met him few times back then. I knew him better during our journey to Cair.”

      “You never told me you have cousin here.” Yunho tries best not to sound judging or accusing. “I know all the Kims thanks to you but this cousin of yours.”

Jaejoong bites his lip. “He..was different.”

      “How different?” Yoochun asks. “I know he’s different from other servants from his fast reflex.”

      “He’s a servant?” Yunho is more at loss.

      “He..” Jaejoong breathes slowly. “He’s quiet, not talking much like the others. He answered the least when people asked him or tried to talk to him. He accompanied me often on our first year in Cair but he disappeared a lot too. None knew where he went or what and when he returned, he never said a thing. We didn’t ask either knowing he would answer once or twice then went quiet again.”

      “Disappeared?”

Jaejoong nods. “The carrel patrons didn’t know he’d been somewhere. He returned before the patron started. I asked him once where he went. He just said he went for fresh air outside.”

The two princes listen. They wait for the royal consort to continue.

      “I wanted to go with him too but then I realized we knew nowhere in Cair. Junsu must be just looming around the palace. I didn’t know that he would jump outside the tall gates to get his fresh air.”

      “He what?” Yoochun gapes. Yunho frowns, thinking, recalling some old blurry pictures in his younger days.

      “Jumping over the palace gate?” Yunho mutters. “Jumping over the palace gate..”

      “One day, he asked me to keep his earring for temporary time.” Jaejoong’s eyes are shut. “I took and wore it ever since. He never asked it back till I was moved to red carrel house.”

      “That was when Yunho had escorted you.” Yoochun looks at the ruler who still frowns. “You were located in red carrel chamber because this smitten in love prince Jung Yunho always took you to his table during dinner.”

      “Jumping over the gate..” Yunho murmurs.

      “His majesty proposed to me not long after.” Jaejoong goes on. “I had a lot of worries and concerns at that time that I didn’t think much about my fellow friends and relatives. I was afraid and unsure. I was wondering how it would change everything especially after I knew about the earring.”

      “what’s with the earring?”

      “Jumping over the gates!!” Yunho shouts all of a sudden. “I know it! I know it!” He flails. “I bumped into you for the first time when you jumped over the gate trying to sneak out!!” Yunho faces his consort. “It was you.”

Yoochun’s face is as flat as the dining table.

      “It wasn’t me, your majesty. It’s Junsu.”

      “No. It was you.”

Jaejoong shakes his head weakly. “It was Junsu, your majesty. He borrowed my used cape and my scarf before he went out one day. He asked me to keep this earring three days later. I gathered that it was Junsu you met that day you mistook it as me but I wasn’t brave enough to tell you.”

Yunho looks at his consort long and flat. “Why?”

Yoochun’s expression asks the very same thing. Why?

      “I was.. I love you, your majesty. I thought.. it’s okay that you mistook me as the person you bumped into outside the gate. It’s okay that you took me as someone else because I knew you were honest with your feeling to me. I was sure of how I felt, how I feel about you but I wasn’t sure with yours.” Jaejoong huffs. “You’re a prince, one of the most popular and loved by your people. You could pick anyone, anyone, as your spouse, your partner. You might like me that time but who could guarantee you would still love me enough later on?”

      “I proposed to you.” Yunho grits his teeth. “Wasn’t that enough answer for your doubt on me?”

      “I’m just human.” Jaejoong’s eyes are sad. “I have insecurities like any normal human.” His eyes plead. “I went to see Junsu the night I accepted your proposal. I wanted to straighten things between him and I. I wanted to tell you that it wasn’t me the person catching your interests and eyes but Junsu held me and said I gave the earring to you because I know he would love you, Jaejoong.”

The princes are out of words.

      “He knew you would recognize the earring I wore on my left ear. He knew you were going to look for me, for him, he shoved me to you as his replacement. I was.. partially thankful to him as I was also bitter at him for his motive.”

      “What’s his motive?”

      “He didn’t want to be close to or associated with royal princes and princesses.” Jaejoong answers. “He knew who you were when the carrel patron told us to behave well when you and prince Jung walked past us. He quickly looked down stepping backward behind me. None noticed it till I confronted him about the earring.”

It explains Junsu’s reluctance accepting Changmin’s proposal.

      “So it’s done and you’re Prince Jung’s consort.” Yoochun mediates. “The question is, none remembers him as a Kim anymore afterward. You didn’t bother to check on him once in a while after you moved to the Jung’s manor?”

The guilt hits Jaejoong again. “I wanted to.” He averts his eyes to the floor. “But.. I was in doubt about him. What if.. he changed his mind and asked his earring back? What if your majesty remembered him when my husband saw Junsu? what if he used his earring as way to get to me?”

      “Boo..

      “I knew I shouldn’t be that jealous evil me but I couldn’t help it.” Jaejoong is honest. “The thought of you remembering him as the person you liked first bothered me so much. I avoided seeing and meeting him.”

      “You didn’t hear from him at all?” Yoochun begins to see the whole picture clearer. “So do the rest of the Kims?”

      “He isn’t open to any of us.” Jaejoong states. “Last time I heard about him, he’s joining army recruitment after spending a night with some third rank warrior or who. I saw him twice or three times in the Palace. He walked in groups or fast I had no chance to greet him. I hadn’t had time to return his earring either and after a couple of years, I slowly didn’t remember him anymore.”

Ah. Changing shelter after someone tried to bed him, it seems. Typical carrel Hanxi.

      “I do remember bumping into someone outside the gate” Yunho says. “It was nearly raining. We were on way back from the Arena, Chun.” He turns to the other prince. “I told you on the following morning I met someone interesting. I thought it was jaejoong. His face was half covered. It was thick cloudy I couldn’t make his face clearly but I managed to hold his scarf from his effort escaping me.” Yunho recalls. “I saw the black diamond earring. It wasn’t a common earring in Cair. Small yet captivating your eyes.”

      “You held him from escaping you?”

      “He did quite struggle, though.” Yunho smiled at the memory. “I told him I was one of the royal warriors and if he kept on kicking or hitting me, I would call the Prime soldiers to seize him.”

      “He didn’t hit you anymore.” yoochun assumes.

      “No, but his eyes spoke bad things to me so loud.” Yunho shakes his head. “Why didn’t I realize it before? His eyes aren’t as big as Jaejoong’s.”

      “Maybe because you’re too busy doing something else.”

      “Ah. Right. I tried to undo his scarf covering the face.”

      “Failed?” Yoochun raises his eyebrow.

      “He’s just fast and slippery.” Yunho defends. “I knew he’s a carrel from his robe. I just didn’t know in what house he was. I searched for him for two weeks before I saw Jaejoong’s earring.”

Yoochun gets it then. “So, let’s say Junsu didn’t ask Jaejoong to keep the earring from him, would you ever look at Jaejoong like you did back then? Would you fall for Jaejoong or for Junsu?”

Yunho sees jaejoong’s hardens posture. “I don’t know. I have never seen that carrel up close face to face. All I thought about was finding the carrel wearing that earring. That’s all.”

Yoochun sighs. His fear has just been confirmed. “That Kim Junsu carrel swapped his place with your consort, Yun. He should be in jaejoong’s chair right now instead of being a low rank white carrel whom none remembers and cares about.”

And the words chanted by the old crazy woman on the ship resound so clear in Jaejoong’s head too now.

“One will hold capture the ruler’s heart. One will either tear down the kingdom into ashes or rise up to stairs of heaven. Be it true or changed, let the time reveal. Bless your young hearts. Bless your future lives.”

Did Junsu really swap his fate with Jaejoong? Junsu should be the one sitting next to Jung Yunho as the royal consort?

      “If we didn’t neglect him all along.” Yoochun says in full awareness of Nana’s prediction. “Your queen will need no worry to carry her so wanted child.” It’s been neglected for long time. You all forget its existence.

 

If Junsu were the consort, Young would just give them everything they needed.