Vinth. 1

Vinth.
 

 

Vinth. 1

 

 

Within the height of most anticipated festivity of the season, everyone in Cair is busy preparing for the event. Everyone hardly has time to think about anything but the rapid spreading infectious happiness welcoming their brave Generals and warriors home. They win again. They conquer another bowl of mocking ruler nearby who, in his or her stupidity, raised weapons against them thinking they can shake the country’s gate.

Hanxi uses the frenzy to its fullest advantages. He grabs Hansol’s servant robe wearing it over his own and walks quickly slipping out from the third protocol guards watch heading to his favorite spot in the palace. It’s a too good opportunity to pass. He doesn’t meet this kind of chance very often. He walks on easily passing through another watcher guards smiling and nodding his head honoring the men. Five minutes later, he reaches the spot jumping lightly over waist height well trimmed bushes and disappears.

--

Hansol clicks his tongue. He needs his extra robe to be allowed making presence in the back hall welcoming the warriors, generals and princes as well as the ruler himself but someone has taken his clean and just ironed servant class three robe before him. He sighs and sits helplessly on his bed knowing his evening is ruined already.

      “You aren’t going?” Irath, Hansol roommate, asks. “Edoki and Jinwoon have left half an hour ago to save spots for us. Come on.”

      “I can’t find my clean robe.”

Irath frowns. He remembers he had placed clean robes in their drawer the day before. “I got them four all of ours in the drawer. How can’t you find it?”

      “Maybe I dropped it somewhere.” Hansol mumbles. He knows by know where his clean robe might be. “Was too excited.”

      “Hurry find it and join us.” Irath fixes his robe better. “I must carry peaches and deliver them to carrel Hanxi first before heading to back hall.”

Hansol shoots up in an instant. “I’ll deliver the peaches. I need to deliver carrel Hanxi’s robe as well, might save time for you.”

      “You sure?”

Hansol nods. “You go ahead. Leave the peaches with me.”

 

Carrel Hanxi. One of many carrels in the palace yet one of the odd kinds Hansol has ever come across. In his fifteen years working as palace servant (passed by generations before his mother) he hasn’t encountered any carrel like Hanxi. The said name is simple, modest -too modest for a carrel-, smiles like water fountain in the palace’s flower garden, isn’t seen often during royal events, hardly involved in conflicts among carrels and carrelitas, some even forget that he is one of the royal carrels. He’s been in the palace for ten years, long enough to be appointed as one of general’s carrels or even prince’s/princess’ consort if he’s lucky but he stays in his rank as white carrel, a newbie, the lowest rank of people presented to or won by the ruling conqueror at that time. Well, the former ruler stepped down from the throne five years ago so it means Hanxi is either presented or won by ruler Jung’s father.

In his curiosity, Hansol asked his mother about carrel Hanxi. His mother made him promise not to ever repeat what he would hear ever again to anyone. Ever. Hansol made blood promise and there, he learned about the real name of carrel Hanxi and why he was here. Lucky for him, he’s assigned into servant class three two years and half ago that he could get to know carrel Hanxi in person and despite their blatant status differences, somehow, they got closer than servant-carrel.

--

The festivity last till dawn. Hansol stands forlornly waiting for the suspected person wearing his clean robe to appear in the east central aisle. He missed all the fun and party because of it though he knows that someone would make it up to him later on but still..

      “Carrel, sir.”

The person smiles his usual watery fountain effect on the forlorn servant.

      “I’m sorry.”

Hansol wants to shout curses out loud into the carrel’s face. “That’s my well prepared robe, sir.”

      “I’m sorry.” The man repeats. “I should have asked for your permission first.”

Yeah. You should. Really really should.

      “Is it over?”

Hansol folds his face still. “About to. Would you grace it by showing some smiles to the drunk generals or princes?”

The man chuckles lightly. “No. Thanks. Let’s go back to our room, shall we?” The man effortlessly unties and slips out of Hansol’s robe. “Here. I keep it as clean and shiny as when I borrowed it from your drawer.” He hands the robe to the servant.

      “You are really weird.” Hansol mutters very low as he wears the returned robe.

      “Come on. There must be some good dishes left for us.”

The carrel walks back into the palace as if he’s on his way back to his chamber from the party. He greets some guards who are slacking around eating and relaxing on their guarding posts. They hastily straighten their poses toward the carrel. Hanxi might be only a white carrel but a carrel still. Hansol walks following the carrel admiring and awed at how easily the carrel slips out of the series of guards and comes back like nothing happens.

They enter the carrel’s chamber. Hansol mustn’t enter more than the front guest reception lounge.

      “Come on in.” The carrel waves his hand. “You must be very upset at me for borrowing your robe without permission.”

But Hansol isn’t carrel Hanxi’s personal servant. He can’t step further than the guest lounge.

      “No one is around, Hansol.” Hanxi encourages. “It’s technically not morning. Come in.”

This is a chamber where Hansol hasn’t seen any warrior or general ever sets foot in and he, a mere servant, trespasses first?

      “I’m fine here, carrel, sir.”

Hanxi sighs. He reappears in the chamber’s guest lounge carrying a well wrapped package.

      “I would like to make a deal with you.”

Hansol is not sure he would like what he hears next.

      “This is the royal majesty’s last season gift.” Hanxi shoves the silk package onto Hansol’s hand. “I’ve got too many from the ruler and his generous consorts. Would you please make it into good use for you?”

Hansol gapes as wide as his mouth can afford. Hanxi gives him what?

      “You mean.. you mean.. you mean..

      “Yes. Make new outfit for you or someone you favor.”

      “But.. this is.. royal silk.. I couldn’t..

      “Yes. You could.” Hanxi puts on his simple smile. “Carrels are free to forward gifts, aren’t we?”

Hansol gulps.

      “And.” The white carrel keeps on his smile. “As an exchange, I would be very happy if you would leave your robe here.”

This carrel is really weird.

--

      “We are honored by your willingness to grace our home, Nana.”

      “Thank you, your highness.”

Chairs are quickly pulled and set to seat the famous healer.

      “I see that everyone is doing very well.” The healer starts. Her wrinkled eyelids do not stop her half shaped moon eyes from addressing and sending mystical vibes onto gentlemen and fair ladies seated around the long marble table. “Soil ground, rich harvest, loving hearts..” She chants as her eyes meet nearest faces to others till her sight stops at one good looking face sitting five or six seats from the ruler’s chair.

The person shifts on his seat.

      “A general?”

The ruler gives the person a look that sends the person standing up at once bowing low to the healer.

      “New assistant general, ma’am. Shim the third is at your service.”

The healer makes a crescent shape of her lips. “Excellent. Brave, bold, fierce and loyal.”

The person quickly bows again before returning to his sitting position.

      “Wah, you get Nana’s approval so fast, Min.”

Everyone seconds the sentence in light polite laughter. Nana is a traveling healer who never stays in one country longer than two weeks no matter what. She speaks what her healer eyes see however impossible it might sound (which 90 percent proven true later on) and takes no side. No ruler can tell her to do something against her will and all rulers on Reinvere land knows better than to take advantage of her ability by force. She’s old, very kind and charges no money for healing people. You can’t ask her to come to you however much money you can pay or whatever dire condition you are in. It’s you who come to her and beg for her help and since she’s always on the move, it’s harder to find her. Better it’s her coming to your place than you running after her.

      “Prince Park.” Nana’s lips twitched to the right. “How many carrels and carrelitas would you play around with?”

      “Ah, Nanaaa…” The called name whines followed by another light chuckles by the audience. “You’d said that last time you visited us.”

      “He has his eyes on certain people, Nana.” The ruler grins. “Picky, he is.”

      “Your heart is as adventurous as your sword, young man.”

The said man makes a duck face out of his awareness. “Why is it always me she picks on?”

The healer makes a coughing laughter. “Careful, young man. Your heart can bark against you when it recognizes its owner. Soon.”

      “Amen!!”

      “Heeyy!!”

More laughter. More warm jokes exchanged. More encouragement poured.

      “You are Jaejoong, aren’t you? Jung’s consort?”

The beautiful man sitting on the right next to the ruler’s chair nods his head.

      “You’re a Kim?”

      “Yes, Nana.” The ruler holds and squeezes his consort’s hand. “I made him my consort six years ago. He was standing beside you on my coronation day.”

The healer slowly shakes her head, agreeing. “I see. I see.” Her eyes are still on the consort. “Did you come to Cair alone?”

The consort waits for the ruler’s approval before answering. “No, Ma’am. I came with several people.”

      “All are Kims?”

      “Yes. Ma’am.”

      “How many of you were there?”

The consort hesitates for a while. His past isn’t something he openly talks about in public. “Around ten or more.”

      “The ruling King conquered your home or..

      “Well. Our great head of the house had uncountable number of misfortunes.” The consort tries to keep a calm pose. “He had to manage some loss with the King.”

      “My father took the unmarried ones, Nana.” The ruler helps. “Children and those with partners were not taken. It’s part of the treaty. Jaejoong was eighteen when he was brought here. He knew nothing about the chief’s problems.”

      “So did the other Kims coming with you, I suppose.” Nana tilts her head to take better look at the beautiful consort.

      “Yes, Ma’am.”

Everyone listens with deep interest.

      “Where are the other Kim carrels and carrelitas, if I may know?”

      “Hyuna is with me.” Prince Park says before the consort answers. “As well as Tae hee and Ryewook.”

      “He’s fast.” One of the audience comments.

      “He is when it comes to eye catching carrel and carrelitas.”

      “Anyone wanna meet my sword later?” Prince Park raises his eyebrow.

The audience laughs. Even the healer.

      “Hyunjoong, SooHyun and Kyujoong make great warriors. They are part of our journey to victories.” The ruler continues. “Heechul was taken as General Siwon’s second consort. I’m glad he did because none here could handle Heechul.”

      “Claudia is a golden carrelita. She is more popular than princesses.”

      “Isn’t Kibum with you, Min?”

The young assistant general is startled. “Who? Kibum? We’re good friend.”

      “Everything starts there, Min.” Prince Park smirks. “Look where Jaejoong is now. I used to make him run around the palace and now he makes me run around the country for him.”

The consort smiles at the prince.

      “Why do you ask, Nana?” The ruler asks after the merry laughter dies down.

      “I’ve been from the Zhangs.” Nana sips her drink carefully, aware of the sudden change of the atmosphere in the room. “Met several great warriors, princes and a very clever heiress.”

The ruler and the consort exchange look. The Zhangs are far from their Cair. They hardly have differences that lead to problems. The Zhangs are very famous for their trading and fighting skills yet they are very peaceful people.

      “Soon.” The healer places her cup on the table. “You’ll welcome them here in your grand house and land. They have something you need. You have something they want. If you could keep things smooth, your home will meet its prosperous peak. If you couldn’t…

      “We have something they want?” The ruler interrupts. He knows Nana will not complete her last sentence. She never does when it comes to future sight.

      “I conclude so.” Nana casts her old wrinkled eyes around the audience again. “My old nose smells the same passion here. The thing they want is here. Under your roof and care.”

      “Is it goods or people?”

      “You’ll find it later.”

The ruler’s face hardens.

      “Anyway.” Nana looks at the consort with her half shaped moon eyes, long and searching. “It may come along with your amazing consort’s arrival.”

It’s so quiet you can hear the tiniest breeze of air dancing along the silence.

The reception ends by the announcing of lunch.

Nana is escorted to the largest guest chamber. She thanks the royal maids and guards before closing the door. It’s not even thirty minutes yet when Prince Park flashes his grin entering the guest chamber unannounced. He knows Nana quite well to put aside protocol and royal etiquettes. The healer is resting in bed, leaning and sitting with legs aligned to relax.

      “Curiosity kills the cat, son.”

      “The cat dies happily, though.” He lands beside Nana’s longed legs, starting to massage.

      “Your brother knows you are here?”

      “Nope.” Prince Park says. “Too busy figuring out best plans for your news. Don’t wanna see him pacing back and forth like stupid iron.”

Nana smiles fondly at the prince. “You never changes, Yoochun.”

      “That’s me.” The prince massages the legs and feet. “I’m so happy Yunho was chosen as the successor. Can’t imagine me trapped in the throne missing all the fun of the world.”

Nana pats the prince’s shoulder softly.

      “I really don’t know what the Zhangs want from your brother.”

      “From me, maybe? I’m good with keeping what’s precious.”

      “Tch.” Nana pinches the prince’s arm. “What precious for you isn’t one for other people.”

      “I know right? The crown is so precious for everyone but me.” The Prince snickers.

Nana closes her old eyes for some moments. The prince keeps massaging though he knows he might hear something else from Nana soon.

      “It’s here.” Nana says in very low tone. The prince has to lower his head to catch it. “It may be the answer of your heart’s adventure.”

The prince’s massaging hands stop.

      “Or the sharpened sword for a fierce warrior.”

Sword? They have old antique swords from their ancestors. Is it what the Zhangs want?

      “Or the seeds for duels. Blood will wet weapons from all sides.”

It means.. war?

      “Goodness.” Nana abruptly opens her eyes round and full.

      “Nana?”

Nana pushes the prince away from bed.

      “It’s been neglected for long time. You all forget its existence.”

--

      “What did I do till the royal consort of Cair steps his graceful feet on my corner?”

The consort pulls the golden carrelita Claudia to the quiet corner of the chamber.

      “Jae? what’s going on?”

      “Help me remember where our relatives are.” The consort is half whispering. “I get a very bad feeling about Nana’s visit.”

Claudia rolls her eyes. “That old woman always gets on everyone’s nerves. No big deal, your highness.”

      “She asked who else came with me to Cair. It’s like ten years ago. How could I remember where our people are one by one?” the consort looks worried. “Yunho said nothing about it but I can’t help feeling uneasy.”

      “Chill, alright?”

      “I can’t.” The consort shakes his head. “She clearly asked me where the rest of the Kims were. Yoochun answered for me. So did Yunho but I don’t know the rest of us.”

      “Wait. Let me rewind a bit.” The golden carrelita signals the consort to nearest chair. “Nana asked about us? The Kims?”

The consort nods.

      “Not only you but all of us?”

The consort nods again, fingers clasped restlesstly.

      “Why suddenly?”

      “I can’t tell you now. Could you help me, please?”

      “Can’t you just look around you? I’m here in the highest rank of most wanted carrelitas. Heechul, Hyuna, Tae Hee, Wookie, you can see them swirling around the palace like they are the owner instead of your husband. Hyunjoong, SooHyun and KyuJoong might take over the Cair’s army in the next five years at this rate. They never stop slaying things with their swords or knives or whatever.”

      “I know. How about the others? The not so well-known ones?”

      “You kidding, right?” Claudia tsks. “Eversince Yunho fell for you; all the Kims were put on top spot. Kibum is on the way either to the Shim’s house or Lee’s house. I saw how Prince Lee Min Ho stared at him openly every now and then.”

      “Dasoom? Your cousin, Ah Joong?”

      “Dasoom? I guess she is playing with fire. I told her to stop flirting with Yunho’s cousin, Il woo. I don’t know whose house she’s in but she’s not in the palace carrelita’s chambers anymore. Ah Joong is close to princess Park Min young. Perhaps we can see her in the Park’s house.”

      “Is that all?”

Claudia is thinking. “Hmm.. your cousin. What’s his name again?”

      “My cousin?”

      “Yes. The quiet one who used to accompany you wherever you went during the first year here?”

The consort is trying to recall. “Cousin?”

      “Minister Lee said you and him are cousin. Far one, I guess. We didn’t really know each other back then until we were taken by force here. I still have nightmare about merciless strong hands dragging me out of my old house. It’s.. scary.”

      “Cousin..” The consort repeats. “Used to be… you mean.. J.. Ju.. Junsu?”

      “Might be. He never spoke to me but hi and are you alright?”

      “Junsu. I remember now.” The consort breathes in relief. “He didn’t talk much indeed. I hardly remember him after Minister Singh moved me to red carrel chamber.”

      “Right. You made the fastest progress of us all.” Claudia isn’t too happy about it.

      “Where is he now?”

Claudia shrugs. “I don’t know. Never seen him around. Might be joining army with Hyunjoong or Soo Hyun.”

That’s quite odd. It’s ten years already. Wouldn’t a Kim be quickly spotted among carrels and carrelitas? Especially in the army. The Kims are famous for their good look and charms. They swept everyone’s attention when they reached Cair ten years ago. The King was pleased to see them in the palace and told them that now they belonged to Cair. They would serve Cair as carrel/carrelita for the country’s benefit to pay half of their chief’s loss.

      “Perhaps he changed his name.” Claudia says. “Or look. After you got Prince Jung’s attention, other carrels and people looked at us with high expectation. Some make up, good robes and right accessories would do the magic.”

      “Erm.. Could you.. I mean, would you look? If you are not busy.”

      “I’ll try. It must be easy. You know a Kim just by one glance.” Claudia answers. “Thanks to you, Jaejoong.”

--

Hansol finds an empty chamber for the third time that week after carrel Hanxi got the servant’s robe. He is delivering peaches again to the white carrel’s chamber and yet, it’s quieter than council hall during ruler Jung giving speech. Does the carrel sneak out again wearing Hansol’s servant robe? Hanxi should be very careful of he’ll get caught for doing a.. Hansol doesn’t want to think about it. He leaves the basket of peaches on the lounge and goes to do his next duty. Carrel Hanxi could hear about the news anywhere, not necessarily from him.

The person Hansol is looking for is enjoying his day away from the palace’s routine activities. He’s stealing time and space to get some fresh air somewhere in the border of the palace. He knows he can’t escape long and sooner than later he has to comply with carrel’s duties but for now, the carrel’s registrars wouldn’t notice his absence. He’s cautious to pick the right time sneaking out of the barricade of guards. He just needs few hours free of the obligation to always smile and please people. It’s been years that by now he could pull a smile perfectly under any emotion he has inside. Ten years isn’t a tea time length. Nor a sleep time through the night. It’s long enough to make your strongest belief on something questioned, diffused then resolved. No way out from here. His mother was right. You can’t expect people to make you happy, my baby boy. You must create your own happiness.

Here he is, creating his own term of happiness for himself of what’s left of his life. He’s been witnessing the changes happened before him like a flow of running water on the river. How one of today’s consorts was his first trial to bargain with his life verdict, a carrel. How he had to face and walk the very same path taken by his mother. How a promise was made as a structured group of words. No more no less. How a carrel has to bring himself among the palace’s breathing veins. How he must lay as low as possible to keep going. He’ll be thirty year old in three years ahead, thirty five in the next five years later on and soon would be dismissed from his carrel status as he turns so. Thirty five is the limit for any carrel performing duties for Cair’s benefit. Afterward, the post-its-peak carrel would stay as a normal citizen in the country if he’s under no house’s authority. Or given to Cair’s honored guests. Both are fine with him as long as he could leave this palace. He’d prefer and pray for the first possibility since taken to other country means another adjustment and another effort to find and create his own space and term of happiness.

At the moment, he could see the soldiers and warriors are training their daily combat exercise. It’s brings back memories of him doing the same years ago in his attempt ducking down orders. He was a quick learner. The commander of the new recruited soldiers showed great interest in his learning. He got special lessons after the other trainees left the training field. Special lessons as how to keep your weapon useful and fast in any crucial moments as well as how to keep his body safe from being used for the commander’s drive of physical fulfillment. He injured himself on the third day after almost losing his precious asset as carrel. He chose to forget the offer he could wrap as a frontline soldier and returned to his initial status in the palace, as a carrel. It was close call. He almost made himself a life time prisoner for taking the commander’s life away. He found out he’s way better at fighting and defense than the commander.

It’s nightfall. He has to return to his chamber and join other new carrels for dinner.

--

      “Hey you. Servant! Yes! You!!”

Hanxi stops his feet. He turns around bowing at the source of the voice calling for him.

      “Where are you going?” The voice demands. “If you are not on order, come here help me preparing for the healer’s departure.”

It’s the second hand of the fifth rank head butler. Hanxi glances at Hansol’s robe quickly. It’s servant class three. Two rank below this caller.

      “Right away, sir.” Hanxi changes his feet direction. “What could I do for you?” It’s his mistake for coming back late. He’s mistaken again as servant. Not his first time that by now he has expected what to do when servants of higher rank demand something from him.

The second right hand of head butler gives him thorough examining up and down look.

      “Go fetch the prepared woven silk cloth in the guest storage section and bring it to me before you hear the bell for dinner rings. Understand?”

      “Yes, sir.”

      “Hurry. I’ll be in the front of the velvet royal guest room with other butlers.”

      “Um.. how do I know which wrapping is for the healer?”

The butler gives him a disbelief look.

      “You’ll meet serious inspection after this, servant. In class three yet unable to tell what for who. GO NOW!!”

Hanxi runs fast to the mentioned room. He struggles to fetch the silk cloth since no one is willing to help him. He runs back bumping into Hansol’s roommate on his way to the velvet royal guest room. Jinwoon falls hard on the floor from their crashing bump. Hanxi quickly jumps ahead leaving Jinwoon before the servant recognizes him as one of white carrels.

He reaches the butler’s post in sweats, panting and trying to stand right.

      “You stupid servant.” The butler hisses in irritation. “Quick, hand me the wrapping. The consorts and our ruler will be here soon.”

Hanxi bows down. He is about to retreat leaving the scene but the butler holds him there. The consorts are seen entering the corridor. Leaving would be considered as improper disrespect.

The door of the royal guest room opens. One old lady walks in grace side by side with two Princes. Hanxi stands still; head dropped low waiting to be able leaving his post. He needs to be seen in the carrel’s dining chamber in five minutes.

A hand touches his. Wrinkled skin yet warm and soft like caressing breeze in the Cair’s roses garden.

      “Deserted heart.”

Hanxi is too shock to hear what is spoken to him. All eyes are on him, judging and finding him guilty.

      “Ocean and desert.” The wrinkled skin fingers hook over his. “Dear mirror of Cair, you have answer for their questions.”

Next things Hanxi knows is he’s sent to discipline ward for wearing servant robe.

 

a/n. all the weird terms written/used here are pure fiction. No relation/connection to any kingdom verse, history, divine verse or the kind.