Fragments.

Vinth.

 

21.

 

 “I told you I would go find you wherever you run from me.”

Junsu starts awake in sweats. He holds his chest as drips of sweat dampening his cloth. Thank God he doesn’t sleep in a tree otherwise he’d have fallen down flat on the ground by now.

He looks around his chamber as his waking senses begin functioning. Breaths still racing, heartbeats pounding, eyes seeing the remaining dream.

He could feel the cold lips ghosting over his lips even after he’s awake. It’s that assistant general shim Changmin kissing him.

That stupid idiot nothing good of a noble assistant general Shim Changmin has been invading his dream too often these past months. Instead of commanding enraged assistant general who once forced himself onto Junsu and demanded exact submittal obedience, Junsu sees a smiling tall man waving at him. Greeting, perhaps?  Or cheering for Junsu? Like what Junsu did to him wasn’t enough.

 

      Changmin was thrown on the rough sand so hard his fresh wound might be contaminated badly by the dirty sand.

      “Come talk to me again when you are man enough to bend my knee!” Junsu growled at the thrown man in trembling tone. “You hear that, Lord Shim the third? You may only see me again after you are sure you have had enough with life! I wouldn’t keep any mercy on you next time we stand face to face!”

Changmin moved to sit up. Blood ran like river from his left arm and shoulder.

      “You should have done this when I forced myself onto you, Junsu. If you did kill me then, I would be much happier.”

Junsu’s hand gripping the blade shook. “I don’t know what you are talking about.” But his quivering sentence gave away his honest side. The side that somehow remembered and treasured the man he had just stabbed.

Changmin pressed his bleeding wound with his other hand. “I love you, Kim Junsu. Taking my life wouldn’t change a thing that I love you.”

Junsu swayed the blade, not as steady as he should be, onto Changmin’s other shoulder. “I hear nothing.” His eyes began to blur contradicting his will to stay firm. “Just go and never come back!” His high pitched voice became painful and burning.

      “You know I would see you again if you don’t take my life now.” Changmin sounded calm. “I deserve more than just this small cut. My life has been yours the moment my father sent you to family prison. It’s yours back then, now and later on. I want to die in your hand if it could ease one tiny part of your pain, Junsu.”

It stung. Seeing Changmin struggling with his bleeding arm and shoulder stung. Hearing his poisonous words stung. It stung so painful that Junsu lost his grip over his blade as it slipped down out of his hold landing on Changmin’s lap.

Changmin saw and felt more pain in Junsu than the pain of his fresh wound.

      “Go, assistant general. Please just go.” Junsu tried his best to keep standing.

      “I’m just Changmin to you.” Changmin risked a move getting the bloody blade on his lap. It left another cut but not as severe as the wound in his arm and shoulder. “You never want to see me, I get it. I’m going.” He couldn’t make it to stand up so he had to bear the humiliation to lay down low weakly before the shaking Junsu.

      “Junsu.” He called. He started to feel the effect of blood loss. “There are zillion things I would like to tell you but you don’t want to talk to me.” He chanced a smile. “You want me to man up before we see each other again, I will. You..” Changmin felt cold and hazy. “You are too good and too strong for me now. I have to be better, to be stronger, to be more capable so I could  redeem all my mistakes to you.”

Junsu looked away. It’s inexplicably painful to watch Changmin this weak.

      “I’m happy.” Changmin forced himself to not lose it. Not now while Junsu was before him. Real and solid Junsu, not a dream. “I’m happy we can finally talk again. I miss you so much.”

Junsu’s front robe was tainted with wide blotch of blood as he slowly picked Changmin up supporting the Cair warrior to go back inside the departing royal ship. The blade was abandoned on the golden sand giving outstanding red dark blood color amidst the bed of smooth sand.

      “I will really kill you if you come back.” Junsu whispers as he led them both to Cair guarding ship.

      “Can’t wait.” Changmin answered weakly. “Can’t wait for the day you end my misery of missing you.”

      “Stupid *****!” Junsu couldn’t stop his tears. “I want you to live long and happy, Lord Shim.”

      “I would be happy after I pay back all the happiness taken from you.”

The guards simply let them in. None made move to help Changmin. Not even the Cair crew. Junsu handed the wounded man to nearest standing crew not wanting to fool himself further by crying in public but Changmin’s red bloodied hand caught his robe.

      “I’m going.” Changmin flashed a sad smile. His eyes began to shut. “I’m going, Junsu.”

Junsu undid Changmin’s grip on his robe. He said nothing, heart too troubled to say a thing.

      “Would you.. kiss me for the last time?” Changmin asked in half whisper. “I didn’t kiss you enough when you were with me. I regret it the most.”

Junsu should just yank Changmin’s hand off of him. He could just turn around, flee the ship, give no effin s*** at Chagmin and everything else. He should just curse at Changmin more for asking something out of mind in public yet here he was, unconsciously leaning forward, eyes still had tears as he pasted his lips on Changmin’s cold lips.

It was short and regrettable. Changmin smiled at him when Junsu kissed him. He didn’t kiss back or manipulate Junsu’s kiss into something embarrassing. He simply received the kiss in smile not asking for more.

The guarding ship departed right after Junsu turned his back and walked on, heart shattered into sand along the coast.

 

The nightmare rarely returns to his sleep. If it does, Junsu only need to wake up realizing it’s a mere nightmare and goes back to sleep an hour or a couple of hours later which is great development from his troubled sleeping course before.

Instead, he dreams of Shim Changmin.

 

Junsu grabs the available weapon selection for training. He doesn’t care it’s raining outside or it’s too slippery to do exercise. His heart has definitely lost in the ocean and he wants it back. Sooner or later when he meets Shim Changmin again, he has made up his mind to snatch his heart back no matter what price he must pay for that.

--

Yunho is running out of charms and ways to summon Changmin back to palace. He has tried all persuasive methods he knows, most of forceful methods, half of difficult ruling masks, offered anything the man wants as the salary, all went to the Cair sea without fail. Changmin has decided to resign from any royal involvement and made himself scarce.

It’s almost two year already. Ara has delivered pretty twin babies. One son, one daughter. Everyone is celebrating and happy. Even Changmin’s father has gradually renewed the cold porridge relationship with the royal force.

      “I don’t know.” Yoochun gives up. “Really, your majesty, I don’t understand him at all.”

      “You are his closest friend.” Yunho can’t accept defeat. “You must know a way or two how to lure him back to palace.”

      “We all know one.” Yoochun crosses his arms. “But it’s risking Cair’s life and future.”

Yunho knows what Yoochun means. “Isn’t there anything else catching his interest?”

      “The forest?” Yoochun suggests. “He’s already living in one of our forests. Should we drag him back to crown him as the forest keeper? He might consider it.”

Yunho shakes his head, sighing. Talent like Shim Changmin mustn’t go to waste.

      “Give him some more time.” Yoochun feels pity on Yunho’s hopeless expression. “Moving on takes time.”

      “He won’t move on if he shuts himself out from us.” Yunho scrunches his nose in irritation.

      “Not from us.” Yoochun corrects. “He is open to friends or anyone as long as it’s not palace-related ones. If you go see him as peasant, perhaps he would give you some pieces of his mind?”

      “Thanks.” Yunho replies in sarcasm. “Very helpful.”

The leading general prince Park grins. He comes seeking an audience with his majesty to talk about more important matters but ends up listening to Yunho’s complaints about Changmin.

      “Can I say something good now?” Yoochun teases. “It’s not as bad as Changmin, I promise. At least it doesn’t make you want to claw one’s face out of annoyance.”

      “What?” Yunho is not in mood to humor one of his relatives.

      “The Zhangs.” Yoochun bites back a chuckle seeing Yunho’s fallen face hearing the first word he says. “They agree to prolong our coastal trading pact for another three years. No additional conditions.”

      “We don’t actually do trading with them.” Yunho facepalms. “Why do we go on bowing our head to them when they don’t even interest in taking a look at our harvest?”

Yoochun has predicted it. “ Allow me to relay a  brief look over the bargaining power they have.”            

      “Alright. Alright. Prolong it.” Yunho huffs. “I know you do your homework, your highness.”

      “Aww..” Yoochun coos. “Do the twins infect you too? You are getting cuter from day to day. Jaejoong would tie you up in his chamber one of these days.”

Yunho throws a silver cup across the table.

 

The truth is, Yoochun knows exactly where Changmin stays and why he quits his army career. Two weeks after the commotion settled down and Changmin’s father gradually accepted his son’s false excuse of his bad arm and shoulder injury, Yoochun met a nervous and restless royal servant called Kang Hansol. Hansol stuttered his version of the fight event. Hansol witnessed the whole departure ordeal where carrel Hanxi heartlessly stabbed lord Shim’s defenseless body. Junsu appeared on the shore mere seconds before they unhooked their anchor to sail back. Hansol noticed his arrival as he pleaded to the ship captain to give him a couple of minutes saying farewell to Junsu. The captain hadn’t approved his request yet while Changmin had jumped off the ship running to hug Junsu.

      “Lord Shim shouldn’t do that.” Hansol said, head lowered in guilt. “Carrel Hanxi ordered him to let go but warrior Shim didn’t budge at all. Carrel Hanxi pushed him away three times where lord shim kept on hugging him again. We couldn’t do a thing. There were soldiers from both of our sides.”

      “Carrel Kim stabbed Changmin?” Yoochun was speechless.

Hansol nodded. “Carrel Hanxi shouted to be let go. He.. he ran out of patience? He snatched the nearest soldier’s weapon and bared it against lord Shim. It’s..” hansol bit his lip. “Lord Shim ignored the warning. He still made moves to hug carrel Hanxi. That’s when carrel Hanxi stabbed his side and threw lord Shim’s wounded figure on to the ground.”

Carrel hanxi stabbed Changmin’s side, arm and shoulder, the less endangered body part ones. Hanxi didn’t mean to injure Changmin or else he would have stabbed Changmin’s chest or stomach. Or, if hanxi was indeed that angry, he could have beheaded Changmin for touching him. Hanxi almost killed Changmin years ago for the very same reason, didn’t he?

      “Why do you tell me all of this?” Yoochun calmly asked. He didn’t accuse or blame the servant a thing. He was just curious. None spoke about the incident further than Changmin fell into a rocky coastal and injured himself. All the crew spoke the same thing as if they swore to agree to one story.

      “Because.. I have to deliver a letter.”

      “A letter?” Yoochun frowned.

Hansol retrieved a roll of parchment from his royal servant robe. It’s personal royal letter judging by the way it’s rolled and tied.

      “A-aventa M-Maya asked me.” Hansol extended his hand to give the roll to Yoochun. “To deliver her letter to any wise trusted royal figure.” His hand was shaking. “who could be wide hearted enough to understand her letter without judging it as insane thoughts.”

Yoochun received the letter in doubt. “Me?”

      “I..I..I..” Hansol lowered his head more. “I’ve been observing some.. some..

      “It’s alright, Hansol. You didn’t do any mistake by observing us.” Yoochun crooked a smile.

      “Please.. help..”

      “I will.” Yoochun patted the servant. “I can’t say or promise much but I will see what I could do with it.”

 

The letter talked to him straight to the point.

 

To the wise soul who warmly receives my words.

 

I’m not the famous traveling healer Nana nor a parahealer who is able to obtain future sights but I believe my sense and feels when it comes to human nature and people’s safety.

Last night, I treated Kim Junsu from another severe feverish nightmare. His arrow wound on his chest cracked mildly where blood reaching my hand. Nana told me before she left Windheart a year ago that Kim Junsu returned to our embrace as a new person thanks to the ocean generosity. He could have died and lost in the arms of the wide ocea. However, from time to time, he has nightmare that sometimes it goes bad and reopens his arrow wound.

I have to inform you this because the nightmare mostly comes as troubled sleeping complaints but last night, I treated the twin night of the same feverish state where we nearly lost him. The reason? Lord Shim Changmin’s arrival.

I couldn’t see into his subconscious world like Nana did but I could feel it. I could sense it. Shim Changmin reopened Kim Junsu’s portal to unknown land. I was praying hard he would come back to us last night. Mars called him over and over it broke our heart to witness such a helpless call from our beloved aventador.

What I sensed then frightens me more. I sensed destruction. I sensed loss of lives. I sensed rage and clash of power.

I decided I must send warrior Shim Changmin back to Cair immediately to prevent further damage. I hope he’s safe and well when this letter reaches you.

 

There will be time when the destruction is inevitable. I know we could do nothing to avert it but at least we could buy time to minimize the bigger loss.

 

I would try my best to keep Aventador Mars busy here as long as it takes. Perhaps by our God’s gracious mercy, he would change his feeling to Junsu. Or perhaps, when they have to meet later, lord Shim Changmin has had found someone else.

 

Till then, would you please keep an eye on lord Shim Changmin? He’s been suffering a lot too though  not as much as Junsu. I had the honor to treat him before I tended Junsu. I could feel his warm pure soul calling for Junsu to be with him.

 

Sincerely.

 

 

Maya.

 

Yoochun pats his horse to rest. He doesn’t tie the horse. He lets it loose since he trusts his ride as much as he trusts his sword.

      “Go play or meet pretty lady.” He coos. “I won’t need you to ride back till dinner.”

The horse lets out agree hum.

Yoochun continues his walk toward Changmin’s latest bunk. It’s in the out skirt of the south east forest in the thin line along Cair border with the off shore neighbor ocean equator. Zeke is manning fire by the yard anticipating the night fall in a couple of hours. He stands abruptly seeing prince Park’s arrival.

      “I won’t be long. No need to prepare anything.” Yoochun waves his hand aborting Zeke’s quick hands brewing some warm drink for him. “Here.” He places some cotton satchels. “Pretend you see nothing.”

      “Master Shim notices everything, your highness.” Zeke smiles fondly. Prince Park is the most frequent visitor among Changmin’s close friends. He drops in so often that Zeke loses count how many times prince Park comes in a month. Short brief greeting here and there, small talk and he leaves.

      “I would be insulted if he doesn’t. He is training himself into madness.” Yoochun scoffs. “But he’s happier, isn’t he?”

      “He is.” Zeke agrees. “I think he gets kinder and softer nowadays. He doesn’t order me to leave him alone anymore.”

      “That’s good to hear. He sleeps better?”

      “Generally.” The loyal personal assistant replies. “More restful nights, more strenuous exercises too, though.”

      “He still turns down his family’s financial help?”

Zeke isn’t sure how he would answer to that. “We manage fine.”

      “So I’ve heard. He lends his hand to nearby passing fishermen or traders and they repay him.”

      “I have to hide the money.” Zeke admits. “It’s harder. He notices every single change.”

Yoochun chuckles. “You should ask for your pay too, Zeke.”

      “No, your highness. I’ve been his butler since he was seven years old. I learned that serving him is something I need to do regardless any payment.”

Yoochun envies this side of Changmin. He scores his subject’s loyalty by willingness. You aren’t taught how to win people’s sincerity in school. You have to learn it hard way in battle field or hardship. Yoochun, Il Woo, Changmin, Ji Changwook, have solidified their bond through near death experiences in battles. Yoochun is very good in winning people’s trust as he easily befriends anyone he wants but again, he’s a prince. Changmin is a blue blood figure too but he isn’t a prince. He lacks a lot of charms to make people less cautious around him. Probably because he’s the oldest son.

      “You shouldn’t come too often, Chun.”

      “I’m intrigued to spare a duel with you.” Yoochun casually relaxes his arms and back. “Last time we played, you nearly sent me right into the cliff.”

      “It was slippery.” Changmin excuses. “You asked for it.”

      “Are you planning to be some legend ghost of the forest or what?” Yoochun scowls. “I admit it’s refreshing to camp a night or two here. The view and the air are spectacular.” He tilts his head. “Four months? This is the longest one you stay in one spot. Met any enchanting forest fairy?”

Changmin pushes Yoochun playfully. “Fairy has high taste. They know which one is a promising prince and which one is a mere passerby.”

      “Il Woo been nagging me to tag him along. You are still here by Saturday? Chang wook might drop in in a day or two. He gets two days off this week. Jonghyun got promotion offer.”

Changmin says nothing. Glad to hear his friends are fine.

      “Song Qian would deliver a baby soon. She wishes you could find time to pay her and Kyuhyun a visit. I hope it’s twin again.”

Changmin spaces out; eyes wandering away in the dark nature of night fall.

      “Yunho asked about you again yesterday.”

      “He missed big lesson of a simple word called No.” Changmin finally grunts. “My brother has filled up for my place in royal army. He’s doing well, isn’t he? What else his majesty wants from me?”

      “The royal council league is proposing for twenty four months old celebration next month.” Yoochun straightens his sitting posture. “You know, two days open host for invited royal guests?”

      “The elder league think Cair needs to select allies?” Changmin raises his eyebrow. “Are you forming up a show off block power or what?”

      “I told Yunho so.” Yoochun stares. Two years and Changmin is sharper in calculating things. It really is a waste for Cair. “We have to be extra careful. Some neighbor rivaling countries would see this as a challenge.”

      “No sweat. Cair has you and Siwon. Go pose your handsome face at the reception. None is that fool to act stupid when you are around.”

      “Haha. I’m insulted.” Yoochun makes a bad face. “You say it like I’m a hungry monster.”

They share short dry laugh.

      “It’s next month.”

      “You have said it before.” Changmin shrugs.

Yoochun lets a minute silence accompanies them before he says the actual intention of his visit               

“I also choose the same convenient time to prolong our trading pact with aventador Cassius.” He looks away. “Grand Ambassador Han sealed the pact as our rep. Their turn to send a rep for the prolonged pact next month.”

Changmin is quiet for a long time.

--

Jasmine royal hall is exquisitely redecorated and rearranged to host large number of guests gracing the open celebration for his and her majesty’s two year old twin healthy cute children. The palace west yard is open for Cair citizen of all ages to come and enjoy the celebration while the important figures and guests are welcomed in Jasmine royal hall. They could greet the cute twins during the day only. The babies are sent back to their chamber after five pm. Royal Consort Kim Jaejoong is proudly and happily carrying the baby boy everywhere showing how happy he is with the bless. Her majesty Go Ara isn’t seen too much with her daughter. She prefers quieter space to nurse her baby girl. She passes the duty greeting the public and the guests on to the royal consort. Besides, his majesty doesn’t mind at all.

      “Chill out, paw.” Il woo nudges Yoochun. “You look more nervous than Kyuhyun. Don’t tell me…

      “Wash your dirty thought.” Yoochun glares. “Dasoom needs to teach more lesson to your tongue.”

      “Who has dirty thought again?” Il woo sneers. “And here comes consort Heechul. Excuse me.” Il woo quickly disappears not wanting to get his night ruined.

Yoochun laughs gleefully. “Coward.” He calls.

      “I beg your pardon?” Heechul has stood next to prince Park. “I thought I saw his highness prince Jung here a while ago.”

      “He was here before.” Yoochun grins. “Siwon is on duty tonight?”

Heechul rolls his eyes. “As if he would let slip any chance to command large army in front of potential audience.”

      “He’s doing his best, Consort Kim chullie. Where’s Claudia? I haven’t seen her.”

      “Have you ever seen her?” Heechul smirks.

Yoochun smirks back. He’s up to any of Heechul’s games. “She should have revealed herself earlier.”

      “It’s sort of a bit difficult to do so, wasn’t it? Tae Hee batted her eyelashes once, Ryeowookie made coffee, Hyuna.. ah.. that baby fox. Your sight was full.”

      “Excuse me.” Yoochun catches Lee Jonghyun’s figure entering the hall. He walks to the said name. “All clear?”

      “We need more men in the west yard. Too many people coming for free dinner.”

      “Not guests?”

      “Nope. Local. Familes. Groups of students. Fishermen. Teachers. You name it.”

      “No sorting?”

      “It’s.. troublesome to check people one by one. Kids can be so much distressing.”

      “I”ll ask back up royal men to help out.”

      “Thanks.” Jonghyun heaves a relieved breath. “I’ll go back there.”

      “Better stay here.” Yoochun holds Jonghyun’s movement. “You’ll see Il woo soon. I’m going to take a look at the west yard.”

Yoochun does double check in every guard post. He expects Changmin would show up here. He and his majesty Jung Yunho who approves on Yoochun’s trick to lure Changmin out of his forest cave. The trading pact with the Zhangs is indeed prolonged. They had sent the request to prolong their cooperation two weeks ago. The Zhangs had also had sealed the deal. It’s just a bait to bring Changmin back to palace.

The zhangs would not come. They don’t have to. The invitation is open for any willing neighbor countries as well as for the business/trading involved partner countries, however, looking at the cold water between Cair and the Zhangs, they would not send any rep taking part in the joy of Cair celebration. Yoochun had sent a personal letter to Aventa Maya explaining about the event just in case the Zhangs would see it differently.

Jung Yunho wants Changmin back in the palace. Park Yoochun only helps the ruler carry a little trick. No sight of Shim Changmin so far. Well, at least he tries.

 

It’s five in the morning. Royal maids and servant on first shift duty have just started their day. The second day of the celebration. The last day too. Royal soldiers change on duty shifts diligently. Ten of them form a row on central entrance and meet their first duty.

      “Cassius, Windheart, four lands of the Zhangs’.”

Four of the guards have blank look on them. It’s five a.m, for God’s sake.

      “Where should I deliver our gifts for his majesty?”

Prince Lee Min Ho arrives at the gate. He immediately recognizes the Zhangs’ symbol on the guest robe.

      “We apologize for our blatant ignorance, Sir.” Prince Lee bows. “Please follow us.”

Cassius smiles back warmly. “Thank you. We are on our way to ParoVas. We only would like to express our happiness for Cair. Could we possibly hand our gifts for his majesty to you?”

Prince Lee quickly shakes his head. “Please spare us the embarrassment of mistreating our honored guests. I am in no capacity of receiving such heartfull gifts. It’s best to see his and her majesty on your own. Would you please..

      “We are in haste, your highness.” Cassius smoothly refuses. “It’s rude of us to rush things but we are already two days late on hold by the weather.”

Lee Min Ho is a bit startled that the guest knows his status accurately. He has never met this guest before but the man knows he’s a prince.

      “I’m afraid I have to insist.” Prince Lee bows low. “The day hasn’t fully changed yet. Please consider our simple offer of rest as an apology for our previous ignorance.”

 

Aaron gets a rushed note from a sent postal bird. Go on forward to ParoVas. My ship would follow up soon.