Vinth. 5

Vinth.

 

 

UNBETAED. AS ALWAYS.

 

 

Vinth. 5

 

      “Your majesty, would you please have a pity on me?” Jaejoong pleads in his round doe eyes sincerely. “Please, your majesty. His majesty didn’t mean his words when he’s angry. You know very well how much he cares about you. He’s so worried of you but his pride is just too big to admit that he’s a bit too harsh to you.”

The royal queen is torn between giving her love rival cold shoulder and being touched of the royal consort’s genuine effort. “I need a little space to think, Consort Kim.” She finally responds giving her bitterness up against the consort. “I need to think better over this mess. The palace only giving me burdened air. I’m constantly reminded of how incapable I am on and on there.”

      “That is so not true.” Jaejoong denies. “Everyone has their own problems, your majesty. Yours only a little bit bigger because you are the royal queen.”

Ara’s lips form a thin smile. “Exactly. And since I’m the royal queen, my duties are ten times more crucial to be carried on well, dear Consort. I need space where I’m less burdened as the ruler’s legal queen. I want to see what’s better this.”

      “His majesty misses you.”

Ara doubts that. If Yunho does miss her, why is it Jaejoong coming to her trying to bring her back to palace right now? Why not Yunho himself?

Jaejoong somehow could feel Ara’s thought. “His majesty wanted to meet you personally but the arriving southern traders and two generals from Calehadara held him in the royal lotus hall.” The consort informs. “The generals came with two delegations of scholars and blacksmith. I’m not sure what’s going on in the hall but most of the elder advisors and minister in the league gathered in the lotus hall too this morning.”

Ara is well aware of the important implication of the shared news. “Where are you from again, Consort Kim?”

Jaejoong doesn’t expect the sudden change of question. “Malthveck. I’m not quite sure it still keeps the name.”

      “How so? It sounds okay.”

The last chief when Jaejoong and the other young Kims were collected from was too into gambling that Jaejoong doubt their small homeland still stands as an independent State right now. “Too many misfortunes, your majesty.”

      “Is there any well guarded ancient water spring or well there?”

Jaejoong shakes his head. Why are they talking about Jaejoong’s old homeland now? “Not that I remember of.”

Ara wishes Malthveck hadn’t had such a large debt to Cair so that the former ruler didn’t have to take the Kims into Cair as carrels/carrelitas. Her life would be so much different. “Don’t you ever miss your home?”

Jaejoong can’t find answer to it.

--

Junsu is sent out for fetching some horses’ food with two male butlers. He sees foreign faces and figures in the down town market loitering stall after stall. Some of them hold out goods for sale by hands or by small opened wooden cart. He catches foreign languages spoken here and there amongst the market’s crowd. He shakes his thoughts off as he shoulders one big sack of their errands. They go back to the Shims’ manor quickly.

The sound of people’s laughter is heard from the side yard garden. The assistant general must be welcoming his guests.

      “Ah, you’re back.” One of the senior female maids follows Junsu’s steps. “Wash your hands then bring that to the garden lounge.” The maid points at four identical cups and one medium china pot arranged on a blue green tray.

He carries the tray to the said destination. Usually, he would just carry it halfway since the lowest rank of servants is not allowed to be seen to close by any manor’s guests. Their robes and faces are too dirty or undesirable it’s considered improper to stand too close to the manor’s visitors. However, this time, he is told to carry the tray to the table himself. Junsu tells himself to just do it. Nevermind the bad impact if the guests are disgusted with his messy face and funny colored skin.

He ignores the pairs of eyes casted on him as he serves the four cups and tea pot on the table. He’s about to walk back inside when his feet is hit by a half bitten apple. He stops. What the..?

      “Hey servant!” One of the four noble men calls in loud tone. “Catch this!”

Junsu barely has time to turn around and automatically raises his arm to shield his face from the thrown object. What the..

      “Good reflex.” Junsu hears another voice. He lowers his hand from his head eyes blinking no clue what and why.

      “Throw it back to me.”

Junsu blinks again. He realizes his hand is holding something as his brain processing the order. Oh. He holds a wrapped curve of a knife. Throw it back to the standing noble man looking at him? no, sir. he’ll be in serious trouble to do so. Junsu prefers to hand the thrown wrapped knife to the noble man himself.

      “No, servant. I said throw it to me.”

      “But.. Sir..

      “You’ll be sentenced for disobedience if you are crossing Prince Jung’s order, servant.” Junsu recognizes that voice. It’s Prince Park’s.

Is he allowed to just throw the knife back to the standing royal prince? Junsu looks around seeking help from other nearest senior servants or butlers but their heads are all facing the ground as usual that he has no one to silently consult to.

      “Just throw it, servant.”

Okay. You ask for it, Prince. Junsu lifts his right arm swinging it a little back before his hand throws the knife across the waist high cemented walls framing the guest lounge. The knife floats in the air then lands right into the catch of the prince’s palm. Prince Jung Il woo grins at him as the royal prince sits back down.

      “Nice.” Prince Park nods in approval. “Definitely HyunJoong material.” He rises from his spot walking toward Junsu. “You could have been a kick warrior if you continued your training.”

No. Thank you, your highness.

      “No second thought of joining royal army?”

Junsu slowly shakes his head. “I would just be a trouble.”

      “I checked the carrel registration last week.” Yoochun is more than amused. This Hanxi servant is quite skinny for a soldier build but his moves said the opposite. Skinny figure for fitting carrel requirements, perhaps? “five years as official white carrel. Two and half years as unofficial white carrel. Two and half years preparing yourself as carrel? I bet you could make it in less than six months if you really wanted to be one.” Yoochun eyes the servant who suddenly goes tense. “But.. I can’t find your name on army recruitment record.”

Junsu curses inside. He overlooked that part. He has heard that Prince Park is one hell of a royal leading general.

      “Um.. I was.. there’s this unfortunate situation..

      “Yeah.” Yoochun senses warning signs from the servant. “I understand. Our late ruler wasn’t that meticulous when it comes to small administration record. Some army administrators used it to their advantages slacking around. They could have had missed your name.” The prince smiles easily. “You are from Shargav?”

This is a trap, Junsu is cold sweating. If he says yes and the prince said the arrival of Shargav’s presented people to the late ruler didn’t match his training timing.. but if he says no, how would he explain himself later if the prince asks where he’s from?

      “Yes, your highness.”

      “Alright. You may leave.”

The tensed servant bows low before returning inside. Changmin has been watching him again from his seat next to Ji Changwook. Hanxi, despite the shabby servant robe, still colored skin from the healing treatment, and his unwashed face, gives off impression as someone careful and in command of himself. Something that put a mile differences of him and other servants in his manor.

      “So? Changmin asks Yoochun when the prince has returned to their table.

      “Take him to arena.” Yoochun casually answers. “He has all fitting material for a skilled warrior except his build. We can fix it later.”

      “What if he is against it?” Changmin doesn’t feel too good about taking Hanxi to their practicing arena.

      “He’s your servant, Min. He’ll do every order from you.” Yoochun gives the assistant general a look. “Your social hour sentence ends up next week?”

      “I’ll take care about it.” Il woo joins in. “I’m curious with him. His reflex is darn good for a beginner. I wanna see how good he is in the battle field.”

 

On their way back to their respective houses, Yoochun decides sharing his thought with his dear cousin. “Il Woo, don’t you feel something is missing?”

      “Huh? You mean Changmin’s fixed eyes staring at his servant?”

Yoochun can’t help but grinning naughtily. “You saw that too.”

Il woo rolls his eyes. “He sat next to me, Chun. His eyes didn’t leave the servant from the start till the end. Changwook was about to put salt into his tea to make fun of it.”

      “Changmin will be in bigger trouble if he’s going to lose it.”

      “Eh?”

      “Nevermind. I don’t think he’s that stupid to repeat his stupidity.” Yoochun chuckles. “Kibum affects him that much, poor boy.”

      “Yeah. I get what you mean though Hanxi is nowhere close looking like KIbum.”

      “It’s not about looking alike.” Yoochun puts on his serious tone. “Though I have to admit Hanxi is similar to Kibum in a way I don’t understand.”

      “Similar? Where? Kibum is soon to be Minho’s private honored carrel, Hanxi is barely a white carrel and he needs to do something about his anger. He almost killed people twice. He won’t live long if he rejects one more person bedding him.”

      “I can’t tell the similarity. I just.. feel it. They share something similar.”

      “Other than their carrel status?”

      “Yes. But it’s not what I want to talk to you about.” Yoochun smoothly slowers his horse’s pace. “His recruitment record. Changwook said Hanxi might spend six to seven months in soldier training camp before the Commander Lee happened.”

      “Okay.” Il woo listens.

      “Let’s say seven months. No record of his name or his monitoring progress one, don’t you think it’s odd? Uncle YongJun could be a bit careless but seven month no single record at all?”

      “Like you said before, army admins were quite lazy back then.”

      “So lazy till they missed seven month record for one trainee soldier?”

      “We were in post battle against the Toothens eight years ago. Things might be short handed?”

      “Hanxi got special training.” Yoochun frowns. “He beat Commander Lee during the extra training. It means he’s good. Above average. Otherwise commander Lee wouldn’t put him in special training.”

      “Hmm.. you’ve got a point there.” Il woo agrees. “Well, his record might be stored somewhere in the old book. Do you want to check it too?”

Does prince Yoochun need to go for the trouble combing paper to paper for a small record of a servant’s?

      “I’ll get someone else.”

      “Why it bothers you?” Il woo asks. “I don’t think he’s potential to do treason or dangerous conspiracy.”

Yeah, why it bothers him? Hanxi is clearly a not so capable carrel to stay in his white rank for five years. The length of his white rank has stated the obvious shortcoming other than his unexpected outburst leading to heavy crime killing people.

But, his warrior instinct tells him the opposite.

--

      “Have you had any hints of Junsu’s whereabouts?” Claudia whispers cautiously. They are in the royal dining Sakura chamber. She doesn’t see Jaejoong often these days so when she spots the royal consort’s figure in the same chamber with her, she quickly dances her way to greet the royal consort.

      “Not now, Claudia.” Jaejoong whispers back.

      “Just asking.” Claudia is a bit offended by Jaejoong’s in adequate respond. “I’m wondering about the talk you said you are going to do with Prince Yoochun and Prince Il woo.”

      “Later, okay?” Jaejoong gives the golden carrelita a stern look. “Not here. The time isn’t right.”

      “If you say so, Your majesty.” Claudia snorts. “I wasn’t the one asking help in haste to find someone.” she says in coated sarcasm.

Jaejoong puts down the fork in his hold. “I said later.” His voice is cold and imperative. There are clear border between their statuses and he uses it to make himself understood.

Claudia is more than offended. She did a lot to help Jaejoong to the extent that she willed herself to spend two grudging nights pleasing Minister Shiv yet this is what she gets in return. “My bad. I’m sorry.” She bows her head then turns around clicking his high heel on the floor in such dramatic effect as she walks back to her place, the reserved section for golden carrelita.

Jaejoong huffs. How can he talk about finding Junsu when everyone is worried about the ruler and the queen’s wrinkled bump? Everyone is concerned about queen Ara’s well being right now. Jaejoong’s twice visit to the Go’s manor results in vain. Ara refuses to return to her private royal chamber. Yunho is occupied by handling delicate prolonged cooperation treaty with Calehadara’s representatives and the arrival of overseas traders in twice bigger number than usual penetrating their markets. Jaejoong has to help Yunho as much as he can. Finding Junsu can be delayed later when things are better.

 

      “I hope you are not receiving guests.”

Claudia wants to scowl. “Soon. The second son of grand Prince Lee said he’d drop by after dinner.” She signs her personal servants to leave them alone. “Would you come in?”

      “I won’t be long.” Jaejoong chooses to stay in the golden carrelita’s front guest lounge. “I’d like to apologize for my harshness before.” He starts. “I didn’t mean to look down on you, Claudia. I was unfriendly because the situation wasn’t for us to discuss about Junsu.”

      “It’s my bad.” But Claudia doesn’t feel sorry at all. Not after what she has done to help the consort. “I understand you are caught up in less fortunate situation. I shouldn’t pursue the topic.”

      “I had met Yoochun.” Jaejoong needs to make it as short as possible. He has to make sure Yunho isn’t skipping his dinner again. he makes time to come here because he doesn’t want any bad color on his friendship with the golden carrelita. “I hadn’t had chance to ask him about the black parchment. Something else more urgent came up in our conversation.”

      “I see.”

      “And.. um.. this is actually nothing but.. Yoochun noticed your unusual company and our frequent greetings. I don’t know if it helps or not with anything but I would be more careful talking to you in public in any situation.”

Claudia isn’t surprised at all. Too bad that alluring Prince Park has had three Kims in his bed. “There’s nothing wrong in talking with you in public. We are Kims. Everyone knows that we are closer than to the other Kims.”

      “I know. Just in case. I don’t want to add the salt into the bowl.”

Claudia is still not pleased. “Why did you need to find Junsu again?” She scowls for real now. “It’s started when you came to me one night asking about where the rest of our people were.”

Jaejoong breathes slowly. “It’s Nana.”

      “Ah right. That famous travelling healer. You had told me that. I mean why suddenly you looked so tight about our people just because Nana asked about us?”

Jaejoong takes time to answer. “She said we could be a good help when something happens.”

      “Things happen all the times.” Claudia rolls her eyes. “Someone nearly humiliated a graceful noble name for mistaking a servant as a robber few weeks ago, for example. Any deal with us Kims?”

      “I still want to find Junsu.” Jaejoong bites his inside lip. “How can we forget we came here with him?”

Claudia snorts the obvious answer. “Because we are all busy struggling to get a place in Cair. To survive a good life here.”

--

Junsu stands unmoved in one corner of the Arena, watching the soldiers and warriors having their daily exercises and one to one battle. It’s his second time standing here not understand why Changmin takes him here. Alone. He doesn’t want to go anywhere with Changmin alone but he couldn’t disobey the order either. Of all places the assistant general can take him to, why must it be this place? Why must be Arena? It reminds him of that ert bast*** using his authority to make him crazy. It’s in this exact Arena that his soldier trainee uniform was ripped in the commander haste to do him. it’s also the exact place where Junsu decided that his promise to keep himself safe was more important than his life. his life was already messed up anyway not that it gets better now but still..

Junsu immediately looks down studying the ground head dropped so low when another batch of soldiers goes past him. He keeps his head as low as possible till he feels the group of the passing soldier is too far from his sight. He repeats it again four times when different pack of warriors walks to and fro passing him.

This is why he doesn’t want to come to the Arena.

Hyunjoong, SooHyun and KyuJoong are here. They might recognize him anytime though Junsu doubts the three warriors remember him after years never see him face to face. Still, better be cautious than sorry.

      “Hey servant!”

Junsu looks up to the direction of the voice. Prince Jung Il Woo in his steel armor.

      “Join in!”

No way. “Your highness, I was told to-

A spear is thrown to him along with a round ball of tied changing cloth. “Three minutes to get ready or you do fifty laps running.”

. . . You are so done Kim Junsu.

      “Two minutes!!”

Junsu has no choice but running to the rookie army base to change his servant robe with the practice outfit. Jung Il woo smirks from the top his horse. “He still remembers the base.”

 

Changmin comes to Arena three days in a week fulfilling his duty as assistant general. Now, thanks to Hanxi, he comes to Arena every day. Three days carrying on his responsibility, the rest ones he uses watching Hanxi from his post. It’s eighth day today, Hanxi has passed the initial basic training for new recruits. In fact, Changmin’s servant has passed all the required initial assessment for beginner level one in two days. He passed the assessment for two next levels on the sixth day. Yoochun is impressed. He won his first one on one combat training on his fourth day and kept on winning on every turn. Il woo winks at Changmin just yesterday when Hanxi beat another sparring combat.

      “Eight years wasted in vain.” Il woo joins Changmin watching the practice. “Hanxi is faster learner than SooHyun. I wonder why he didn’t continue his training back then. Such a shameful loss for his talent.”

      “Being a carrel is more fun?” Changmin suggests though he shares the prince’s opinion.

      “Five years as white carrel is fun when he could be the first rank warrior by now if he kept on his training?”

Changmin silently agrees. “Carrel offers glamorous extravagant life.”

      “If you are a golden one, yes. White carrel? At least you use your physic taking down someone here while carrel?”

Using their body and look to entertain people. To please people. To win people’s favor. To charm people. To satisfy..

Suddenly Changmin’s stomach feels sick. Hanxi he is watching now emanates resistance and determination. His powerful arm moves, his quick changing feet pace, his on fire eyes when he holds the spear, his cry when he hits his opponent.. Changmin can’t imagine how all of it clash against the image of Hanxi as carrel accompanying people, sitting close to someone in an occasion, pouring drink suggestively, using seducing voice to get attention, kis-

His both hands make fists out of his awareness. The idea is so disturbing, not to say disgusting.

Il woo doesn’t miss a thing. The changes in Changmin’s eyes and gesture are so obvious. “I bet he makes a very bad carrel that he’s still in white rank today.”

The assistant general doesn’t know he’s been holding his breath. The object of his sight is fixing the belt on Hanxi’s outfit. Part of the loose fabric reveals Hanxi’s shoulder and side neck. Changmin and Il woo are sitting on the post for first rank warrior and newly selected assistant general, three meters above the Arena’s ground. Still, Changmin’s trained sharp eyes catch the revealed skin for short seconds from his seat. He doesn’t know why he feels like pushing hard the other trainees surrounding Hanxi for causing the loose fabric.

      “I’d better check on the sword section.” Il woo clears his throat. “Have you met Siwon?”

The prince leaves the assistant general alone when Changmin gives no reply, too absorbed in watching his servant.

      “Don’t repeat your mistake, Min.” Il woo mutters low as he exits the tribun. Yoochun was right. Hanxi reminds him of someone but Il woo can’t figure out who. Not Kibum, though somehow Hanxi also gives off feel of Kibum’s attractiveness. It’s someone else. Or something else.

--

      “Where are you taking Hanxi’s clean clothes?”

      “Lord Changmin instructed us to burn it before he’s back from his duty.”

      “But.. Hanxi has no other robes.”

      “Zeke has prepared new ones for him. Don’t ask more.”

      “What if Hanxi asks me? I share bedroom with him.” The servant whines. “You have no idea how uncomfortable it is if he asks me that and I say I don’t know.”

      “Just say you don’t know.” The two other servants walk on to burn the robes in their hands.

      “God Helps me.” The Servant mumbles. “I don’t wanna know what’s going on. I don’t wanna know what’s going on.”

 

Changmin goes home very late. It’s half an hour past midnight. Everyone must have been asleep. He nods back to the guards on duty as he makes his way to his chamber. It’s too late indeed. He has never gone home this late unless there’re certain occasions in the Palace. He dismisses two lady maids saying he’ll take care of himself no need to tend for his needs. They should sleep. The maids bow and excuse themselves. He lies down in bed after refreshing himself, thinking.

Why hasn’t he seen Hanxi in the palace before? He’s not that interested in carrels and carrellitas, his study and warrior practices are his priority. He still meets a lot of carrel and carrelitas besides Kibum. It’s the royal Palace, mind you. Carrels and carrelitas reside there and they are smiling warmly twenty four/seven keeping the atmosphere merry. Changmin doesn’t remember he ever met Hanxi. That’s weird because despite Hanxi’s white rank, he’s still a carrel and Changmin has met most of them in his way up to this position. His father is one of most respected senior nobles, the former ruler’s second politic advisor and now the honorary general for foreign issues. Hanxi must have had spent time accompanying his father once or twice during royal banquet, royal gala dinner, royal reception, royal events or whatever and Changmin is always seated not far from his father. Changmin could perfectly recall every carrel he has met so far but not once his brain helps him picturing out Hanxi as carrel. Five years white carrel and not even once meeting Changmin?

Is that a coincidence?

He’s going to check on it tomorrow. For now…

 

Junsu opens his eyes when he hears the sound of carefully opened and closed door. He blinks three times then watches the person walking toward the servant dorm. His eyebrow arches when the person is indeed going inside the dorm. Really, assistant general? Your taste is that low? Servant? Maid? You bed them whenever you feel like it? tch. What a bast***!! You have the look, the wealth, the status, the power and all that people would do anything to be in your shoes but you use those blessings for something so dirty like abusing your servants and maids. God forbids him from killing Changmin if that assistant general ever lays fingers on him again.

 

Changmin freezes. Hanxi isn’t in the servant dorm. Where is he? Where does that servant go? Where does that servant sleep?  Does he run away from the Shims’ manor?

      “Did you see anyone leaving the house?”

The four guards on duty exchange looks not sure of what their lord ask them.

      “I beg your pardon, my lord? Anyone leaving the house?”

      “Yes. Anyone.” Changmin is so angry at his guards’ slow brain. “Is there anyone leaving the house after dinner?”

      “Lord Shim the second, Lord Shim the-

      “I mean besides me and my family, idiot!”

The guards cower in confusion. “No, Sir.”

      “Any servant going out for errand?”

The guards negate the answer. “Only senior butler Haewon but he returned before eight, sir. None else going out but the lords and-

      “I got it. I got it.”

Where does Hanxi sleeps?

 

Junsu snickers in his place. This tall tree enables him to hear things in the surrounding especially when it’s quiet past midnight. The servant you want doesn’t please you right that you have to bark at the front guards, Sir? He shifts his legs going back to sleep. He has fourteen more days to go before he says goodbye to this manor. He swears he will not ever set foot to this place anymore once he’s fulfilled his servant sentence.