Vinth. 13

Vinth.

 

Vinth. 13

 

 

Blood will wet weapons from all sides.

 

Blood it is sprinkled on the night ground of Cair. The distance from the outer gate of the Palace and the Cair’s coastal port is quite far. An hour by good healthy horses. Twice longer on foot. Mars have had the horses ready for Vaya, Zax, Young and Junsu. He doesn’t need horse to reach his ship. He has his own ways going to places. He’s Mars.

Vaya is the first riding her awaiting horse. Mars sends her off sensing the inevitable swords clash soon. Four guards are told to keep the Aventa unharmed reaching the ship and to alert all the ships to sail right away after Young and his step cousin are seen by the coast.

      “How about you?” Vaya is not worried about Mars. She and the rest of the Zhangs there know who Mars is but this is Cair and they are the guests here.

      “I’ll be just fine and come home a bit late as usual.” Mars grins. “You should mind your fiancé.”

      “He’ll be alright.” Vaya strongly hopes so. “After all the efforts looking for his step cousin, he must be alright and keep his words of marrying me.”

      “Go. Alert our people. I don’t want anyone get hurt.”

 

Cair doesn’t know Mars but Cair knows an angry lose tempered warrior Shim Changmin is bad news. Bad news for the enemy in battlefield. Shim Changmin is known as goodie goodie young warrior who spends most of his time either in school, in the Arena, in defense quarter or in one of his friends’ manor. He might be clueless and a bit awkward in social event but he’s basically an easy going person. He isn’t easily provoked but once he loses his temper, he could be more dangerous than leading general prince Park Yoochun. There’s a reason why he’s an assistant general. In battlefield, you must be able to control your emotion to minimize the loss. Yoochun has proven and shown his calm and cool head during critical situation at war. Changmin, on the contrary, destroys anything within sight when he’s angry, cornered and provoked. He could be the dead weight of his squad for that but no, he’s the black horse. His anger intimidates the opponents. His attacking moves become sharper and more deadly. His eyes burning in anger and his loud shout of war cry warn the enemies of the unleashed beast in him.

Like now.

Yoochun and Yunho rush out to the scene a bit late. Things have turned ugly in few seconds where Changmin’s merciless sword dance injured several men of the Zhangs’. Badly. Il woo, Siwon and Minho are busy commanding the mass of Cair soldiers who somehow take Changmin’s side and double the trouble. Most of the warriors and soldiers do not fully grasp what’s going on inside the palace ten minutes ago that all they see when Changmin runs fast after the royal guests is their assistant general preventing some crime from leaving Cair. They do not immediately raise their weapons but when they see royal soldiers are not far behind Changmin (for very different reason) they have their weapons ready and run with Changmin. The stern order issued by Siwon, Il Woo and Minho do not stop the warriors and soldiers who by then learn what enrages Changmin. All they see right now is the Zhangs taking one of Cair’s carrel with them. Explanation wouldn’t do much for them as Changmin’s sword already smells blood. The furious assistant general shows them what beast he becomes when someone or something messes with him.

      “Back down!!” Yoochun roars at once seeing the riot along the palace gate till the city market where people run everywhere for their lives. “Hold your weapons!”

Right at that time, three of Cair’s fourth rank warriors are thrown on the ground, blood all over their chest. The long shiny thin blade held by Zax makes its appearance. “You don’t harm my Aventador!” His face is hard and determined.

      “Everyone! Stop!” Yunho raises his own royal sword high in the air calling for obedience. “Stop it right now!!”

Most of the moving warriors halt their movements followed by the few Zhangs’ guards who form human barrier for their Aventador. Some of the soldiers are still in combat with the opponents though they start slowing down.

      “Listen! Our guests do nothing wrong.” Yunho puts on his best imperative voice to be heard. “They are leaving before midnight. Do not harm anyone. Do not use your weapons for silly misunderstanding!”

      “Right!” One voice stands among the silence. “Silly misunderstanding because it’s not Jaejoong they are taking away from Cair, your majesty.” Changmin nearly laughs. “Your beloved ruler, people.” His eyes stab daringly through Yunho’s. Changmin turns to face Cair’s soldiers around him. “I’m not Cair's assistant general anymore. I’m just a Cair citizen wanting and trying to protect the person I love. Don’t stand in my way!” His stained with blood sword makes a brief jump into the other hand of the warrior. “You guys listen to your ruler. Back off!!”

Yoochun leaps forward blocking Changmin’s movement. “That’s enough, Min.” The leading general slowly approaches the angry warrior. “Yunho doesn’t know who Junsu is.”

      “But you know.”

      “I don’t know either.” Yoochun takes another step closer. “None knows who he really is but general Young. He is not who you think he is.”

      “I’ll see it myself who he really is.” Changmin is too aware of Yoochun’s smooth tricks knocking down enemies. He’s been beside the leading general Prince Park in many battles. He knows Yoochun is doing it to him right now. “You want me to sit down watching Junsu being taken away? You want me to bow down to injustice? Do you?”

      “You need to throw your sword away.” Yoochun also knows how fragile Changmin’s temper is. Changmin who has saved him more than once. Clueless Changmin who was lost and unsure of his feeling to Junsu but now blaring fire from every cell of his body. “You have risked people’s lives for your own personal greed.”

      “I’m greedy.” Changmin’s heart cuts deep painfully. “Is the ruler the only one allowed to be greedy on someone he loves? Are we not? I don’t want anyone else. I just want one and it’s also not allowed? Because Junsu is a low rank carrel? Because Junsu isn’t the royal consort so any guest is fine taking him away from me?”

Everyone in the scene feels Changmin’s question.

      “Look. You need to understand that-

      “I understand.” Changmin lowers his sword. “That I’m only a warrior here. I’m not a royal prince or the ruler of Cair. I understand Cair needs whatever it is the Zhangs have, leading general. What I don’t understand, why must Cair use the person I love as the price? Why does Cair do nothing when a carrel who’s been suffering these ten years taken as the payment for the ruler’s wish? Does being a white carrel mean nothing to Cair?”

Siwon notices the changes in his men. They look at the assistant general in favor that Siwon smells bigger trouble. He sends silent signal to Il woo who sees the shifting favor from his squad as well as the prime soldiers.

      “You ask for it, Changmin.” Yoochun slips his sword out of its wrap. “I need your head back before more blood wet Cair’s ground.”

Changmin smiles sadly in acceptance. “I’d be happy to die in your hand, leading general.”

--

HyunJoong and KyuJoong run their horse rapidly heading to Cair’s main coast port. Siwon ordered them to minimize the chaos and alert their royal elite naval men. They didn’t hear anything else but the direct order. They lead twenty well skilled trained Siwon’s warriors with them in disguise. Siwon wouldn’t issue any direct order unless it’s critical and looking at the mess of people running here and there, civil weapons in their hands shielding themselves from any danger, HyunJoong senses bigger danger than what it seems.

      “It’s them.” KyuJoong halts his horse’s pace and jumps off the ride once the black horse neighs pulled to a stop. “Look at that Zhang’s torch on the top sail. They’re ready to leave.”

      “Bring half of our fellow to the coastal border. I’ll get the rest to the main guarding tower post.”

They move fast executing the plan. Hyunjoong is Siwon’s third in command right hand whose words are considered as the order itself. Both separated squad watch one of the two huge ships initiates the motion of sailing away. They see commotion surrounding the bridge connecting to the mooring in ships and the wide area bordering sea and land. Merchants are unloading their goods amidst the triple increasing noise as well as people buzzing in unusual places for trading.

Hyunjoong’s eyes catch a figure sliding down a horse followed by another figure from the tower’s binoculars. The aventador? No? That’s.. Carrel’s attire. He blinks once recognizing the Aventa’s personal caretaker and.. Junsu. Kim Junsu. The one he has forgotten about. Hyunjoong remembers seeing this carrel as a low class servant joining their army training session. He had felt the familiarity but shrugged it off for coincidence till Heechul came to him yesterday.

      “If you happen seeing him in the Arena again, hurry see the Lord where he’s working for and pay for his sentence. Pay for any price issued. The Zhangs are looking for him. We must get to him first before the Zhangs or your majesty the ruler.”

      “Holy Cair.” HyunJoong leaps over the binocular stand. He hears thundering explosion from the coast two seconds later. “The shore! Now! Help KyuJoong and our friends!!”

--

This is one of those long nights where time just stuck in one place and morning dances away farther and farther. Yunho has no enough time to put on his armor. As soon as he manages to prevent the winking damage from Yoochun vs Changmin and tells everyone to hold the f*** on, two coastal guards are running to them, face pale, legs bleeding reporting that one of the three small guarding ships of the Zhangs’ has just been burnt into pieces by mistake.

Yunho has never been so pale before. One guardian ship of the Zhangs, exploded in Cair’s coastal authority. It screams for war.

      “Il Woo, MinHo, stay back in the palace.” Yunho shouts amidst the roaring noise. “Yoochun, Siwon! Come with me to help Aventa Vaya and Aventador Mars. Clear the coastal area! None is to set foot one kilometer from the coastal line.”

Changmin has flown first before anyone could hold on his shadow.

      “SooHyun!” Yoochun calls. “Send every available second rank warrior in the base dorm across the city! Inform grand general Choi and Shim of the latest situation.”

Cair is introduced to the real meaning of the word Aventador Mars that night.

Zax and Seth, two of few leading warriors of the Zhangs’, waste no time securing the remaining two small ships next to one huge floating one ready to set off. Mars is standing holding a long steel stick blocking every living thing trying to reach his people. Alone. His red long cape flaps amidst his smooth effective simple yet deadly moves getting rid the unwanted interfere of the surviving people. The flock of royal naval force doesn’t budge him an inch from his standing post despite the numerous weapon attacks aimed to him.

Yoochun has seen worse battle. Siwon has gone through fiercer combative opponents yet what their eyes witness that night is the scenery of one warrior wiping out thirty to fifty skilled warriors by one single hand. They immediately form a shield upon the ruler, Jung Yunho, who is more shocked to see how ugly things have become. Cair secret naval force is attacking the sole Aventador whose eyes go colder and colder by the more thrown bodies on earth.

      “What the hell is going on?” Yunho demands

      “One of the Zhangs’ people fired an arrow to the sky.” Hyunjoong explains, panting hard. “A dark red fire arrow one.”

It’s a sign of scorching any land post-war. As it also might be a sign to take off.

      “Who was the stupid head sending explosion onto their ship?”

      “General Mack is on duty in south tower, your majesty.”

      “What do we do, your majesty?” Siwon asks. “One third of the secret royal naval force has been injured badly and Avantador Mars…

They see two figures stand next to the Aventador. The Aventa’s fiancé and another one they haven’t seen before.

      “Call off our people.”

      “But..

      “Call off. I’m going to speak to Aventador Mars personally.”

--

Changmin carefully climbs up the open bridge-door of the ship as he emerges from water. He’s not a good swimmer, never is, especially with the stinging cuts on his skin bathed in sea salt water. He can’t give up, though. Junsu must be somewhere in the ship by now. He has to see Junsu. He has to meet and talk to him or he’ll be a loony all his life regretting things for not doing his best to get Junsu back from the Zhangs.

Changmin hides behind the pile of sacks, letting several men running past to and fro. He moves slowly inch by inch getting inside the ship looking for Junsu’s whereabouts. He has only one shot to meet, talk, and convince Junsu to stay with him. Whatever the Zhangs have that might take Junsu’s interest, Changmin will change Junsu’s mind. He is going to win Junsu back.

More men running in haste helping injured men getting on the ship. Changmin has to be careful moving further or else. His only chance to meet Junsu will remain a thin empty air.

      “Who is there?”

Changmin ducks his head very low as he crawls on the rough wooden floor of the ship as fast as his bruised and cut body allows him to. The stinging hurt from salt sea water lingers in him like loyal company. He carries no sword anymore. Yunho has bared his hand from his sword when the ruler knocked him down averting the side stab aiming at Yoochun’s back. Fighting Yoochun is hard already, double fighting Yoochun and Yunho is quite impossible for his battered stamina yet he couldn’t just let Junsu slip away from him. Yunho slapped him hard twice sending Changmin’s body on the ground. Changmin could felt metal taste inside his lips from the hot slap. The ruler was so bitter at him Changmin would not be surprised if Yunho planted the royal sword into his deep flesh for his disobedience and bad mouthing the royal couple.

A small knife misses Changmin’s arm by two millimeters.

      “You can’t hide in Wind Aventador ship, intruder.”

. He’s busted.

Changmin slowly rises from his hideout. “I’m weaponless.” He raises his two hands emphasizing his words. “I just want to see my carrel.”

One of four men in different colored robes frowns at Changmin. “There’s no such thing like carrel in this ship, thief. You picked the wrong ship to mess up.”

      “Your Aventador took my carrel.” Changmin grits his teeth. “He exchanged thing with human.”

      “Our Aventador never takes people from any place by force.” The man on the right end replies. “It’s the gift from other ruler or the person gives himself to our Aventador.”

      “He took my carrel.” Changmin snarls. “I won’t be here looking for him if your damn avent-

Two nearly unseen hands move. Changmin loses his footing and sight. His defensive reflex fails to block the attack in time.

 

Junsu widens his eyes at the thrown on the floor unconscious man. Juno sternly told him to stay in the room no matter what despite Junsu’s raining protests before and the door is closed ever since. Junsu hears the explosion, the war cry, the noise of clashing metal weapons, the everything happens during a fight that he bangs at the door demanding to be allowed to see what’s going on. He couldn’t lose Juno again after years not meeting him and now when they just met, a war has to break down?

      “We can’t just leave him.” One of the guards informs Junsu. “Please keep him till general Young or Aventador Mars is back.”

      “Wait.” Junsu rushes to the door before the guards locks it. “I know who he is. He’s one of Cair assistant generals. You can’t keep him here in the ship. The ruler would see it as kidnapping.”

The guards exchange looks. “We found him sneaking in inside the first floor. He sent himself in.”

      “He’s an assistant general.” Junsu points at Changmin’s unconscious form. “You’d better carry him to your Aventador before things getting worse outside.”

      “I’ll get to Calleph Zax or Calleph Seth.” One of the guards states before disappearing from the door.

      “He’s injured.” Junsu realizes after having second look on the defenseless form of Changmin. His feet automatically bring him to the man on the floor, lifting Changmin’s upper body to his lap. “Can someone..

The guards do not move from their spot so Junsu takes his outer layer of robe to wrap Changmin’s wet body to keep warm. Changmin’s lips are getting blue Junsu blows air on them as his other hand caressing the wet hair. “Why are you here, assistant general?” He whispers the question to the lying unconscious man.

The eyes snap open in a flash. “To find you, carrel Junsu.” Changmin grabs any nearest solid object and throws it sharp at the guards standing by the door. Junsu is pulled by the arm as Changmin sends striking hit and kicks blocking the guards’ effort stopping and re-seizing him.

      “Assistant general!” Junsu calls trying to get hold of the situation. “Don’t-

      “It’s Changmin to you, Kim Junsu.” Changmin says amidst his moves knocking down the guards.

      “Would you let my hand go?!”

      “No.” Changmin elbows the guard facing him then breaks into fast run dragging Junsu along with him. Junsu’s outer layer robe falls off of his wet shoulder as they run escaping more advancing guards. Changmin needs to find exit door and brings Junsu somewhere safe but the arm he’s holding tight is yanking his hand off.

      “Leave me.” Junsu breaks free. “I’m not going with you.” The carrel stops running.

Changmin halts his feet too. “Why?” He turns around, eyes wide questioning.

      “Juno comes.” Junsu defies the eyes. “I’m going with him. I promised him.”

      “Who is Juno? Your lover?” The cuts on Changmin’s fists bleed. “You love him? Is that why you never-

Junsu covers Changmin’s mouth “My step cousin.” He calls his hand back from the scratched lips. “I thought he would never show up. I gave up waiting for him. He comes now, Sir. He comes fulfilling his promise.”

      “What about me?” Changmin wants to punch the wall beside them. “What about us? Do I not mean a thing to you? Am I not clear enough? I want you be mine, Kim Junsu. I want you with me, beside me, or reject me as usual. Don’t you ever think of me at all?”

There are more than ten men surrounding them by now but Changmin cares nothing else.

      “Cair is not a place I want to live in.” Junsu breathes slowly.

Changmin reaches the carrel to his arms. “Then tell me where you want to go, love. Tell me where you want to live. I’ll take you there. I swear with my life I’ll take you wherever you want to go. I’ll come with you there. I’ll live with you. Just don’t leave me, please.”

The men are waiting in full combat alert around them, circling them.

      “Your home is here, Assistant general.” Junsu lets Changmin hug him. “Mine isn’t.”

      “We’ll make new home together.” Changmin pleads; heart begins to crumble like a blown candle under pouring rain. “Please stay, Junsu. Please accept me.” He whispers, arms locking the man can’t let Junsu go from him. “I’ll make up for every sad day you’ve been bearing for these ten years, love. I’ll make up for every pain and bruise you’ve got and hidden. I’ll patch up for every wound you keep inside. Just stay with me, please. Don’t leave.”

Junsu’s silence is the answer. Changmin feels all the hope inside him dissolves with the night air. Junsu rejects him again.

      “What do I do to make you stay, Junsu? Tell me. What must I do?”

A tall figure breaks the cycling formation. “You can leave him alone and go back to your palace, warrior.”

Junsu shakes his head slowly asking Juno not to do a thing to Changmin. “Sir..

      “Shim Changmin for you.” Changmin is hopeless, defeated. “Will always be just Shim Changmin for you, Kim Junsu.”

Juno dismisses the guards in one single hand wave. “Your ruler has just made agreements with us, warrior. I advise you not to drop black ink on the fresh paper.”

Changmin is still hugging his carrel tight.

      “Changmin.” Junsu calls softly. “Go home. Lord Shim the second, Prince Park, warrior Ji Changwook, your family, your friends, Zeke, all are worried about you, sir.”

      “But you are leaving.” Changmin refuses.

      “I have to.” Junsu winces from the tightened hug. “I choose to. Please understand, Changmin.”

Juno watches in crossed arms on his chest. How long will the man deny it? Junsu isn’t staying for any bargain. Junsu doesn’t belong to Cair.

      “Why are you so cruel?” Changmin can’t let go. Once he does, he’ll lose Junsu. “Can’t you choose other sentence for my faults on you but leaving me?”

Junsu sighs, clueless. He really needs to break free from Changmin’s hug. More eyes are watching them now that the battle noise outside has reduced to near Cair usual night calmness. “I’m not leaving you, Sir.” Junsu sighs again. “Just Cair. Not you.”

Juno coughs on purpose. Aventador Mars is on the way back to his ship. To them.

      “Please let me go and go home.” Junsu persuades. “I promise you’ll be fine.” His voice turns softer and softer. “You’ll be just fine, Shim Changmin, assistant general. Your home is here, in Cair, with people who love and treasure you.”

Changmin slowly unlocks his arms though he still keeps Junsu close to him. His heart breaks its last fortress seeing the warmth in Junsu’s eyes. The eyes that tonight are graced and touched by make-up. The eyes that shine their most sparks and bright showing happiness Changmin has never seen before. The very exact opposite of the usual sadness and pain Changmin always sees.

And Junsu smiles at him so sincere and spontaneous it completes Changmin’s broken heart.

--

Morning comes offering the unusual buzz view in healing center, both in the palace and in the down town city of Cair. More than half of overseas merchants have left Cair at dawn after Aventador Mars’ ship sailed off. There are approximately ten dead victims on the Zhangs’ side thanks to General Mack's misinterpretation on the fired arrow in the sky (The Zhangs used it as call out to sail, not starting a war but well..) and there are twenty three dead soldiers, three citizen as well as twenty badly injured men on Cair’s side. For the record, Cair was on its secret naval army full form backed by prime soldiers and elite royal force while The Zhangs was mostly represented by the Aventador alone. Young (turns out to be Mars’ second in hand and one of the Zhangs’ generals) and the other figure appeared late contributed to the big number of Cair’s loss. The number says how ugly the fight was and soon, very soon, the grand elder of the league is going to summon a public royal hearing on it.

The hearing is the least on Yunho’s list of worry. He’s set and prepared for any consequences aftermath but his priority right now is the queen of Cair.

Ara locks herself in her royal chamber, drowning herself in self blame and bad judgment. The ruler’s shouted accusation last night resounds endlessly in her ear and mind numbing all her senses.

“It’s all because of you!! You started all of this!!”

Yes. it’s all because of her ultimate wish to carry the ruler’s children. It’s all her deed behind her husband’s back sending people to find Vinth’s existence. It’s all her insecurity that she wouldn’t be able to give Cair the future descendants despite Yunho’s persuasion to be patient and not rushing things out. She’s not that patient and she did rush things out begging Yunho to send invitation to the Zhangs as soon as possible in fear that the Zhangs would have given the sacred ancient water to other receiving hand. She convinced Yunho that the ruler and Cair wouldn’t lose a thing since she would take full responsibility over the price wanted by the Zhangs. Yes, it’s all her mistakes. But, is it her mistake that the Zhangs wanted one of the Kims carrels? Is it her mistake that Yunho thought the wanted person was Jaejoong? Which then changed to some unknown unfamiliar carrel name? Is it her mistake that assistant general Shim Changmin slayed his sword against the royal guests? All she asked from Yunho was his support and understanding. Not this complicated drama or this unexpected trial hearing. She just asked for three drops of Vinth. No more.

Her chamber door opens quietly. Ara wipes her tears knowing it’s either her mother or her husband entering her chamber. She tries to blink her swollen eyes to look okay at least before the person invading her privacy meets her.

      “Ara..”

The queen’s tears run unstoppably. Oh. Here he is. Let’s do it and be done with it. Ara turns slowly around forcing a smile but gasps seeing the patched cuts on her husband chin and fingers.

      “Your majesty.” The queen flies to the ruler’s side. “What happened with you? Why are you hurt?” the small womanly fingers cup the ruler’s face. “Are you alright?”

Yunho smiles warmly at his queen. He has learned something very valuable last night. “I’m fine, darling. Just small bump with the Zhangs near dawn. Everything is good now.”

      “How is it good when you are bruised and wounded?” Ara scolds the ruler as her hand pulls Yunho to sit on her bed. “Dee San! Bring my first aid kit here. Hurry! His majesty is wounded.” She yells at her personal maid always standing by

Yunho holds down the frantic queen. “Ara, I’m fine.” He leans forward placing a soft long kiss on the queen’s forehead. The queen’s personal maids quickly close the door cancelling their steps approaching their queen upon entering at the wrong moment.

      “It’s just small scratches.” Yunho squeezes his queen’s hand. “It’s nothing compared to what I did to you last night.”

The beautiful queen’s eyes are wet again. “But you’re hurt..

      “Not as bad as our soldiers.” Yunho assures. “I would attend public royal hearing this afternoon. I’m going to meet consequences of last night incident.” Yunho’s thumb rubs the tears on the queen’s cheek. “But before that, I need to apologize to you first.”

The queen shakes her head, denying.

      “I said hurtful words last night out of anger.” Yunho kisses the wet cheek. “I humiliated you in front of our people and royal guests. That’s so low of me as a husband to do so to my faithful wife who just wanted the best for our marriage.”

Ara’s head falls on Yunho’s shoulder, sobbing.

      “I’m really sorry for that, my queen. I shouldn’t let anger take better of me and lash it out on you, of all people.” Yunho breathes deep. “And second, I’m sorry I might fail my duty as first person of Cair. I failed to keep our soldiers and warrior safe from useless loss. I failed to maintain people’s trust and love on me. I might step down from Cair’s throne.”

Ara pushes her husband’s shoulder in her surprise. “I beg your pardon, your majesty?”

Yunho nods. “The loss is too much to bear for a silly misunderstanding. Nana had warned us about it yet my pride ignored the warning which led to catastrophe. I might leave the throne. Will you be okay with it?”

The tears in Ara’s eyes fall down smoothly landing on the queen’s crumpled robe.

      “You don’t have to come to the Jung’s manor.” Yunho kisses the queen’s hair. “You are free to return to the Go’s mansion. All the ties of marriage knots and duties will not follow you.”

      “Are you.. divorcing me?” Ara’s lips tremble.

      “No.” Yunho shakes his head negating the questions. “If you come and live in the Jung’s manor with me, you’ll be in deeper mud of people’s bitter judgment. They know we are married for the throne’s duties instead of love. They know how I feel for Jaejoong and you. They will judge you more than me or jaejoong and I couldn’t guarantee my anger would be always in check.”

The queen tries hard to absorb the ruler’s words. “But why would you leave the throne, your majesty? Is your mistakes worse than mine?”

Yunho smiles sadly. “Yes. Our mistakes have brought Cair on to fragile thread with the Zhangs. We don’t know whether we could ease the distrust and harms from last night incident or not. We might be in great war soon.”