Re-bridge.

Vinth.

 

 

      “Lord Shim, hold yourself right where you are now.”

      “It’s always Changmin to you, Junsu. Never a lord or anything else. Just Changmin.”

      “Stay right there.” Junsu means it. “I could sneak in alright.”

      “Told you I would like to see you get on the ship unharmed.”

      “You’ll injure yourself if you are stubborn.” Junsu glares more at the persisting warrior. “We don’t want a situation, do we?”

      “Not my first time getting injured.” Changmin easily snickers. “You said I must be man enough, right? A man shouldn’t cower over a scratch or two.”

Junsu stomps his foot in escalating annoyance. “Zeke, could you please call up the royal force or something? Your master is being ridiculous.”

Zeke has given up any possibility of being surprised at this rate. He’s shocked, yes. Who wouldn’t? Zeke didn’t expect to see his master and the beloved taken carrel holding hand (Changmin grips Junsu’s hand) in the side yard of the Shim’s personal private empty coastal cottage. Zeke was told to spend time seeing his family, he did. He was also told to take as much time as he needed, he also did. He quickly went back to the cottage to inform Changmin about the sudden alarmed situation down town. He expected one of his lord’s close friends would have finally found out that Changmin is in the city and try to talk some senses (again) into Changmin’s head so it’s a given that his master wasn’t alone when he stepped in the secret passage to get inside. He wasn’t prepared to see the ex carrel taken overseas and his lord arguing over silly irrelevant things.

      “The royal soldiers are everywhere, sir.”

      “You hear that, Junsu? They are scanning all over to catch your whereabouts.”

      “So what? I could just tell them I’m heading back to the ship.”

      “You are.” Changmin agrees. “With me. They won’t do a thing once they see me.”

      “What are you? Ghost of feared past assistant general?” Junsu snaps. “They don’t even know me. I could slip past them and sneak back in to the ship. You are just adding unnecessary attention baggage.”

      “Like you said, ghost can’t be seen.” A thick smirk is plastered in his voice. “Like your outfit doesn’t attract people’s eyes already.” Your eyes and you in general.

      “I’m going alone. That’s final.” Junsu announces.

      “I’m going with you. Behind you or beside you. That’s final final.

Zeke takes liberty watching the heated argument as he slightly gapes at the banter. It’s ridiculous but it’s sort of warming you to see how lovely familiar the way they are arguing is.

      “Which part of going alone that you miss, ghost?”

      “The alone part?” Changmin innocently grins. He really loves Junsu’s voice, Junsu’s expression defying him, Junsu’s fisted palms, Junsu’s body gesture when he speaks, Junsu’s look in his too loose coat, Junsu’s effort of dismissing him, Junsu’s obvious will not to create situation, Junsu’s swaying hair.. Changmin can go on and on reciting all day. “Going. Fine. But not alone. Just this once, Junsu. just this once please listen to me. You are free to wander or sneak out for the rest of your life since nothing and none could stop you, just this one time, please, would you listen to me?”

Again, Junsu’s eyes loudly say he doesn’t want to listen. It’s inexplicably daring, challenging and captivating at the same time. Changmin has so far been able to discipline himself not to kiss Junsu which becomes harder and harder the more Junsu speaks or simply looks at him defiantly.

      “Hyunjoong must have told Siwon.” Changmin repeats the explanation for the third times. “Siwon wouldn’t stop till he finds and sees you in person himself which you decline. We don’t want a scene. Going back to the ship tricking Siwon’s men is not easy. Your companion might think you are missing if you are not up in the ship soon.”

Which is the exact reason why Junsu needs Changmin to stay low here instead of being seen around him.

      “Zeke.” Junsu turns his head at Changmin’s trusted butler/personal assistant. “Would you lend me your coat?”

      “No.” Both the master and the butler answer in unison.

      “Why not?” Junsu returns his eyes toward the warrior. “As long as I’m not alone, isn’t it?”

      “Siwon’s first rank warriors know Zeke too well.” Changmin says. “So do Prince Jung’s, Prince Park’s, and Prince Lee’s. Not included my other friends like Ji Changwook, Jonghyun or Zhoumi. They know it’s not Zeke the moment they lay their eyes on you.”

      “Alright.” Junsu accepts it reluctantly. “Stick to my initial way. I go slowly back to the ship alone. End of story.”

      “The royal force would notice you sooner than later.” Changmin is serious. “I know how it works, Junsu. I’d been there. You would eventually be sent to the ship but before that, you would meet Siwon first which we both know wouldn’t end too well.”

      “I don’t really mind it.” Junsu shrugs. Better than putting Changmin in an unfortunate corner. “I’m good.” He shifts and swiftly moves in rapid motion.

      “Junsu.” Changmin immediately walks after him. “Please.”

Junsu knows Changmin has a lot of good points on why he shouldn’t carelessly loitering around Cair coastal line but he has to get back now or Cassius would start worrying which..

      “Your coat.” Junsu is about to take the coat off but Changmin prevents him.

      “Wear it.” Changmin orders. “Safer for you. Less attention. I’m going with you. No bargain.”

Once a blue blood, forever a blue blood giving orders, Junsu tsks silently.

Of course Changmin hears it well. “I’m just Changmin to you.” He schools his smile in time. “Zeke.” He calls. “Could you draw small distraction as soon as we leave?”

Does Zeke have any choice?

--

Il Woo has this stiff look on him during the whole protocol of welcoming and greeting windheart reps. Yunho notices Il woo’s uneasiness perfectly as he is also shares Il woo’s concern.

      “We can’t thank you enough for your generosity.” Yunho ends the usual royal talk way sooner. “It’s a shame we couldn’t prolong the joy of your thoughtful visit, though. ParoVas is quite far from Cair and the weather is harsher and unfriendly lately.”

      “Our deep honor, your majesty.” Sebastian bows low indicating the closure of their encounter. “We are being rude by showing our haste. It’s unfortunate.”

      “It is indeed.” Yunho nods. “Please send my warm regards to everyone in ParoVas and Windheart. Cair is forever in debt and thankful to your nation. Our doors are always open.”

General Sebastian and his three warriors exit the reception chamber assisted by the royal secretary. As soon as the guests disappear through the chamber entrance right wing door, Yunho rises up approaching Il woo.

      “Any update from Yoochun?”

      “Um..” The prince makes a face. “Yes. Not a good one.”

      “I’m all up to listen.”

      “Aventador Mars is in Cair. Arrived approximately an hour ago.”

      “Okay.” Yunho frowns. “He should greet me if he is here but that’s fine. The situation?”

      “The ship wouldn’t depart unless aventador Mars is in it. We can’t track where he is right now. He moves damn faster than us.” Il Woo fidgets. “No weapon, though. But still as dangerous. He’s looking for a member of the ship crew.”

      “Who?”

      “Err.. ex white carrel Kim Junsu.”

Yunho’s face falls. “My consort’s cousin is also in Cair? Has anyone checked where Changmin is? Up somewhere in his cave, right?”

      “I’m afraid not, your majesty.” Il woo exhales. “One of Changwook’s soldier said he met Shim Changmin this very morning strolling around the farthest east tower.”

      “Then what are you doing here?!” Yunho’s voice rises two tones up. “Let’s go!!”

--

Changmin knows Junsu is sneaky but not to this extent. He walks casually yet in swiftly fast speed amidst people’s morning activities. His body language doesn’t a bit indicate that he’s someone under pressure to get to certain place. In fact, he looks like just another tourist or ship crew having a look around the coast market or having a morning stretching walk. His double outfit might giveaway his natural blending in ability, though.

      “Junsu, I’m curious.” Changmin nonchalantly starts a conversation. “What make a man to you? one who never gives up pursuing his determined dreams? One who rules a country? Rules people? One of his own good will and pride? One who bridges peace and harmony? One who owns a palace? One who slays dragons and people’s fear?”

      “I guess one who doesn’t talk too much while trying to go low would do.” Junsu scoffs.

Changmin smiles. “is that so? I could fit in it well. You know, I was all socially awkward and a bit shy before I met you, right?”

      “I don’t know.” Junsu rolls his eyes. “You were drunk and shouting a lot of things.”

      “Still best at rubbing off on someone’s fault.” Changmin’s happy smile dies. But he soon smiles again. “You still remember it well.”

      “I don’t.” Junsu denies. “Being in Cair reminding me some old things I had let go.”

      “You let go?” Changmin watches Junsu’s back. “Really have let go of everything in Cair?”

      “I have to.” Junsu half mutters. “Sleep would be easier.”

      “You still have nightmares?” Changmin dislikes it. “I thought the nightmares have fled you on our last meeting.” On the morning junsu stabbed Changmin’s arm and shoulder.

      “We can’t control dreams, can we?” Junsu fastens his pace not wanting the subject to be discussed.

      “Can we control our wake then?” Changmin adjusts his pace. “I have nights of nightmares of you drowned deep in the ocean. Your chest was bleeding severely from an arrow shot. I swam and swam as fast as I could to grab your hand and bring you back to the shore but I always failed. You went on to the floor of the sea and lied there sleeping for good.”

Junsu stops abruptly. Changmin is three feet distance behind him.

      “H-how did you get that dream?”

      “Long story.” Changmin’s softened tone is unmistakable. “It’s just part of my dreams. I dream a lot different things. Mostly about you.”

That’s.. Junsu shakes his head. He dreams about Changmin a lot too recently. Since he stabbed Changmin. Even more after Mars took him to the Zhangs’ sacred ancient well.

      “Do you..” Changmin takes a step ahead. “ever see me in dream?” He asks in aching heart. “Am I part of your nightmares?”

If only Changmin can see right into the beady eyes to get the unsaid answer, he’ll clearly see Junsu’s yes for the first question and no for the last one.

      “It’s just dreams.” Junsu resumes walking. “You forget it when you wake up.”

      “I don’t forget.” Changmin says. “I don’t want to either. However bad the dreams are, if I could catch a little glimpse of you, it’s enough.”

The honesty in Changmin’s voice stings Junsu’s stolen heart painfully.

      “I was such a failure to Cair.” Changmin goes on. “I messed up immensely it’s irreparable. They said I would take over Cair’s throne due to my madness. It’s awful condition for Cair after you left. I couldn’t deal with your leaving. I hated so many people it’s disgusting.”

Junsu keeps on walking.

      “Then I had dreams of you drowned in the sea. I took up another spot in Cair royal force. I wanted to build a good home for you when you come back but you never came back.” Changmin continues. “I sent myself to Windheart to see you, to ask why you didn’t hear my calling for you. Made bigger mistake jeopardizing everything, didn’t I?” He chuckles bitterly. “At least I could see you although I made the biggest mistake there too. I forced myself onto you again.”

Junsu has no heart to respond to it.

      “Lucky me, you have learned better to defend yourself from the devil side of me. I could have been killed for what I did, touching you by force, but you forgave me and the worst scenario of exploding war between Cair and the Zhangs was avoided. I learned my second lesson.”

      “Changmin..

      “Hm?” Changmin’s sad tone sparks up hearing Junsu’s voice calling his name.

      “Give it back.”

      “Give what back?”

      “What you stole. Give it back.”

      “What did I steal?” Changmin blinks. “Your possession?”

      “Yes.”

Changmin stares at Junsu’s back. “Could you be more specific? What have I stolen from you?”

      “My.. past.”

Changmin takes time to proceed with the words. Junsu’s past? Junsu’s freedom in the past?

      “I couldn’t turn back time of your sentenced servant days in my house.” Changmin says in defeat. “I’m sorry, Junsu. I would like to pay it back to you if you allow me.”

      “It’s not..” Junsu scolds himself. Why is it hard to ask something back so simple? “You stole something else.”

Changmin is about to reply when Junsu’s hand swings aside, the common signal of hand shield which means he asks Changmin to stop. Junsu’s fingers are seen spread in order of forming circle ball hand shield.

Changmin is impressed. Not many of the first rank warriors could locate Qvsh or inner body energy power and split it evenly among five spread fingers. Most of warriors only use their inner body energy to enhance their fists’ weigh inflicting level three injury onto the opponents. If Junsu could call a five fingers shield without much ado, imagine how hard his fist would hit you when you fight against him.

And, it also means Junsu smells danger around them.

      “What is it?” Changmin has to keep their distance.

Junsu’s other hand seems to undo Changmin’s coat over him. “I’d rather you not meet this person.”

      “Who?” Changmin inquires. “I’m still a warrior, Su. I don’t back out from people or situation when I’m doing what I need to do.”

      “Understood.” The coat is now pooled on the ground. “Still rather not see you two in one place.”

Then he turns around lifting his spread fingers shield against Changmin. “And I need you to stay put.”

Changmin’s defense reflex reacts in time. He jumps back before Junsu’s fist hits his chest. Changmin looks up, eyes questioning what was that for. Yet again, he was amazed. The better morning light of sun brings out the better shape and figure of Junsu in his windheart’s attire. The darker brown color of wet soil comes in contrast against the orange-yellowish color wrapping Junsu’s figure. It seems like the dry fallen leaves on the dark brown soil floor during autumn.

People start giving them interested looks in no time.

      “This is as far as we walk.” Junsu says. “I’ll be on my own from here onward.”

      “Wait.” Changmin aborts his in combat mode posture. “Wait up. You haven’t told me what I stole from you yet.”

      “I’ll take it back later.” Junsu’s voice is unfashionably ice cold. “Or it could come back to me before we know it.” His fingers shield isn’t on anymore. “So long, Lord Shim. I don’t look forward to seeing you in near future.”

      “Junsu!”

Junsu has run and disappeared within minute. Changmin might have long legs to run after Junsu but he doesn’t have Junsu’s slick traits to move and slip among crowded people. He’s faster than Changmin’s skilled long legs. He might be even faster than half of Cair royal guards.

      “Junsu! Wait up!!” Changmin shouts for the ex carrel as he fastens his pace careful not to bump into walking seller or shopping women. “Junsu!”

With Junsu’s striking different outfit, Changmin should be able to run after or at least track the fast running away shadow. He still catches little flashes of Junsu’s orange yellowish outfit yet he isn’t running fast enough to get a hold of the slippery man.

Changmin pulls on a brake at a sudden.

Local citizens and overseas ships crews are walking across and to his direction doing their morning duty. A number of royal soldiers began to get in Changmin’s view as well. He detects four of five soldiers are not far from his back too, coming closer yet keeping distance, watching.

      “You should hear him out. He doesn’t want us to meet.”

Changmin stands tall. The reason why he stops running after Junsu is this man who appears out of nowhere before him. He wears the same outfit model like Junsu but in different color one. Changmin has met this person three times. At the night where his Junsu was taken form him in the reception hall, in the Zhangs’ head quarter’s dining hall when the man pointing his sword at Changmin and Junsu blocked him, and in Windheart shore when Junsu’s step cousin helped him.

      “Is there a problem?” Changmin’s instinct tells him to be ready. His body obeys it. He doesn’t have to fake pleasantries. He is perfectly aware of who he is facing before him.

      “He thinks it’s a problem.” The man says in playful tone. “I clearly don’t share his favor on protecting you. Is it?”

Junsu protects him? Changmin? From this so called arrogant aventador? Changmin should be the one protecting Junsu. This man knows nothing about them. “No. I don’t share his favor of staying in your land either.” Changmin clenches his teeth.

      “Good.” The man nods. “I can’t say I’m fine with his way favoring you after all those horrible things you did to him.”

Shut up, you big headed aventador. What do you know about us? Changmin’s cold eyes flare. “I’m not fine with your power abuse and manipulation keeping him there.”

Mars’ friendly playful tone is gone. “None manipulates him to live in our land.”

      “Really? Have you actually asked him? I bet he stays there because of his step cousin, not because he really wants to be there.”

      “You think you know where he wants to be?” Mars smirks. “I wonder where it is.. uhm.. not beside you, is it?”

      “Not with you either.” Changmin’s eyes have red flaming fire. “If it is, he won’t still have nightmares.”

Mars knows he shouldn’t be easily provoked but, man, this warrior hits close to his weak spot; Junsu’s nightmares.

      “Who give you stupid ideas that he has nightmares? His nightmare was you, sir. And if you do care about him, I guess you are wise and smart enough not to be the cause of his assaulted self peace. Let go of him.”

      “Is it an order?” Changmin snickers. “Bad time, man. I’d quit taking orders. If it’s a threat, I’m all good to find out how good of a threat it is.”

      “Was trying to say it nicely.” Mars shrugs. “Seems that you don’t get it.”

      “I don’t, indeed.” Changmin’s cold tone is somehow mocking. “I owe Junsu a lot of things only both of us know. You don’t have to bother yourself peeking in our business. I believe you are already busy enough to manage your nation. Give yourself a help, aventador. Rest well. Junsu knows how to deal with things better than both of us.”

      “That  so called nonexist business.” Mars shoots back. “is the delusion on your side. He’s one of my people. His well being is part of my responsibility.”

Changmin sourly laughs. “I suppose you don’t know him well enough.” the warrior’s sour laugh reduces. “He isn’t fond of people in authority. Responsibility? Who are we kidding?”

      “I suppose you don’t learn about history at school enough either.” Mars chuckles. “A king would eventually be a king, warrior. However long it takes.”

What’s that supposed to mean?

      “Owh.” Mars is smiling. “Someone is picking me up. Too worried we would spill each other’s blood. Tsk.”

Changmin looks around and surprised learning how many royal guards have surrounded him and the aventador. They aren’t seen openly since there are local people and foreign ships’ crews buzzing around the spot but Changmin knows the circling formation too well. Mars must have sensed it too.

      “Not today?” Mars suggests. “I can’t ignore you any longer.”

      “Bring it on.” Changmin brings his focus back on the aventador. “You are the aventador.”

      “It’s a man speaking to you, not an aventador.” Mars hisses. “You gave up your status for him, I wish I could do the same but I can’t. Doesn’t mean you’re more a man than I am.”

      “I never let him go. He hasn’t answered our last questions.”

      “I would answer it for him.” Mars’ hands on his back begin to loose. “He hasn’t completely let go of you either.” He says in difficulty. “He owns my heart but he can’t take care of it if he still sees you. One of us has to leave from his home. I can’t share him with anyone.”

Neither could Changmin. “I ain’t leaving.” Changmin remarks. “Too far and too late for that. I lose myself too much in his charms.”

      “Make that two.” Mars is enraged inside. Hearing this warrior confirms everything he hates and not doing a thing about it is cracking his years of trained aventador’s patience.

A figure breaks the circle of Cair warrior in harsh panting breaths.

      “Mars.” Junsu calls. “Aventador Cassius is departing. You come with him or not?” His eyes are on Changmin.

Mars slowly cuts his eye glaring race with Changmin’s eyes to turn to Junsu. “Am I allowed to join the bent twister? Cassius said he minded my presence.”

Junsu is still panting heavily. “Don’t be silly. Let’s go. General Aaron would be so pissed off if we don’t catch up with him soon.”

      “Okay.” Mars pats Junsu’s up and down shoulder. “Breathe first, Vinth.”

      “Shut up.” Junsu casts an ugly look at the aventador. “Let’s go now. You should have just stayed In general Aaron’s ship. Why did you roam around here?”

      “Looking for you?” Mars easily teases Junsu’s scolding face.

      “Get going now!” Junsu pulls the aventador’s hand pushing Mars to leave the scene. “This is not Windheart, for God’s sake.” He detects movements made toward his back and before his body puts on his usual blocking defense, his other free hand is pulled backward, snatched. It turns his body against the man pulling him back.

Mars feels like splitting the ground into pieces.

Changmin is kissing Junsu. Or forcing a hard kiss on Junsu’s lips. It’s short and definitely leaves bruise as Junsu deftly flings the attacker away from him. Not that far, though. Changmin pulls him the second time and this time, he locks Junsu into tight hug.

      “I would never let you go.” He whispers. “Never, Kim Junsu. I love you first. I saw you first. I can’t let you go to anyone.” He expects Junsu to break his arms for hugging the ex carrel tight. “I owe you my life for patching your pain up. it’s only in your hand my end is laid. I love you.”

Junsu doesn’t try to free himself. He turns stiff and freezes in Changmin’s arms, just like the old days.

Changmin steals his chance planting his lips on Junsu's side temple. “I said I’d go wherever you go. I mean it.”

      “Shim Changmin.”

Changmin reluctantly lets his arms keeping Junsu on his chest loose. It’s the ruler of Cair.

      “Our guests are to continue their trip to Parovas, I believe.” Yunho’s in total command order has no room for bargain. “We shouldn’t be the reason for their on hold duty.”

Junsu takes a step back. His eyes meet Changmin’s. “I forgot.” He says in low voice. “I’m not your carrel anymore.”

--

Cassius approaches Mars’ figure on the back deck of his ship. Mars is leaning his back against one of the ship’ triangle side poles. He looks dejected and on fire ready to start any fight. The atmosphere on the ship is in sync with Mars’ gloomy mood.

      “How was it going?” Cassius takes a seat across from Mars. “How bad it was?” he rephrases the question when Mars doesn’t answer.

Mars’ eyes are all on the sea water below them. “Not too bad.”

      “But you are brooding.” Cassius states the obvious. “What did Junsu do?”

Mars sighs. “Hitting the man’s long leg.” His fingers shift. “Nothing serious.”

      “So what is your dark face for?”

Mars slowly averts his gaze on to the older Aventador. “The man made Junsu see him.”

      “I beg your pardon?”

Mars’ slumped shoulder and sad breaking voice should be enough signs for Cassius and his crew of how badly wounded Mars’ inside is. “There’s a swirling sea in the middle of a dry deserted scarred island.”

      “I don’t understand you, Mars.”

Mars shuts his eyes. You don’t. I don’t either. Junsu always says he feels the ocean as his home. Changmin is the swirling sea that breaks through Junsu’s deserted hollow painful being. If only Mars had found the deserted island sooner.....