Smooth Criminal

Ricsyung's Dribbles

Summary : When a thief and a detective fall in love unexpectedly 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'Eric, we finally got Ace's location! He's in Gangnam few minutes ago!'

A guy named Eric Mun who was writing some reports suddenly took his jacket from the chair and ran towards the meeting room. He had been wanting to catch nation's notorious thief, Ace, for months and he really hoped that today, he would catch him this time. After for God knows how many times he failed. He had seen Ace's face but once he nearly got a hold on that thief, he disappeared.

'Where?!'

'Here!' his colleagues pointed to a red dot on the screen.

'Great!' Eric nodded in satisfaction and went out from the room.

Ace, you're going to be dead now!

He drove his motorbike so fast and was hoping that Ace would still be there. As soon as he parked, he ran searching for Ace. Suddenly, he got a call.

*Cunning Thief*

Eric didn't know how but Ace got his number when he did his first crime and at that time, Eric was a new detective in charge. The first meeting was so tensed especially when Ace downgraded him.

'What?' he hissed and tried to look around.

'Don't bother to look for me. It's useless especially when you can't see things' he smirked.

'Shut the fck up!' he said loudly.

'Tsk tsk tsk, can you please be nice to me for once'

'Go to hell, criminal!'

'It saddens me that you've never call my name' he pretended to be sad.

As Eric was running, Ace told him about his whereabouts.

'Can you stop running? You look damn ugly' Ace scoffed.

Eric immediately halted his steps.

He must be somewhere around here.

'Btw, I'm at Funky Cafe. And oh! The coffee here is delicious. You should try some'

He turned around and saw Ace who was wearing his usual mask. The thief was waving sarcastically at Eric who was opposite the road. If possible, he wanted to run across the road now but there were so many vehicles driving.

'Hellooooooo'

'Can you hear meeeee?'

Eric didn't realised that he put his phone down.

'Anyways, do you want to know what I stole this time?'

Eric didn't answer.

'I stole a painting'

'A painting?'

Ace was a unique thief because he didn't steal gold or money. Instead, he always steal paintings, small sculptures and many other art items. Even Eric hated to admit this but in a way, Ace had helped him to solve many other crimes that he didn't expect had occurred. Corrupted cops, government and VIPs.

'Yeah, try to google The Mask'

At that time, Ace and Eric were staring each other and Eric couldn't wait to catch him this time. He had a good feeling about it.

'Anyway, I got to go. Cheers' he said happily.

'Wait!' Eric yelled.

But unfortunately, as a bus passed by, Ace disappeared. As always.

Fck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a long and boring day at work as usual for Eric and now, it was 1 o'clock in the morning that he could finally went home. Luckily he wasn't married yet, so he didn't have to worry about anyone. But at the same time, it was kinda sad and lonely.

As he was walking towards his apartment, he saw a figure leaning his back against his door. The closer he got to his home, the more he recognised the figure.

'What the hell are you doing here, Ace?' Eric hissed.

'Just thought that I want to surrender myself to you' he said but Eric sensed that it was a weak tone.

'Stop bullting! What do you want actually?' Eric felt weird that Ace didn't stand up or even tried to run away.

Ace suddenly coughed, 'I'm... I'm serious'

When Eric took a few steps closer to Ace, the lights were automatically switched on and that was when Eric saw blood stains on Ace's shirt.

'What the fck happened?!' Eric rushed towards him.

Even though he hated him, his sense of kindness kicked in.

'Just... Just a small injury' Ace slowly revealed a shot wound to Eric by pulling his hand away from his chest.

'For God's sake, stop bullting already!' Eric was frustrated at Ace's lies.

Eric carried Ace in a bridal style and put his body gently in his guest room. Ace hissed in pain when Eric took off his shirt.

'What the hell have you done this time?' Eric mumbled and went out from the room to take all the things that was needed.

'Ouch! Be more gentle, stupid!' Ace yelled when Eric tried to pull out the bullet.

'I would if you stop moving! The bullet is deep, luckily it didn't hit your main organ'

'No , sherlock' Ace said sarcastically and that made Eric harsher when he sew the wound up.

'YAH!!' Ace yelled louder.

'Shut up, Ace! People can hear you!' he yelled back.

'Then, be gentle! UGH!'

After moments of bickering, Eric finally treated Ace's wound. He also helped him to wipe the sweats on Ace's face and gave him some medications to eat. But before Eric went out to leave Ace alone, Ace asked him.

'You know, this is the perfect time for you to take my mask away' Ace said.

Now that he said that, Eric realised that Ace was still wearing his mask. Instead, Eric smiled faintly.

'Nah, that's not unfair. I'll take it when you recover'

'Since now, you're so weak like ' Eric smirked.

'Yah, get out!' Ace yelled.

He knew he couldn't do anything to Eric since he cannot move around at this point. Little did both of them know, when they both in their own respective room, they smiled and chuckled lightly at what happened that day.

(Next morning)

'Oh God! That was the weirdest dream ever!' Eric said after he suddenly woke up from his sleep.

He thought that he might need a drink since he had been dreaming weird things. It was his habit of his that he straight away drank from the tumbler from his fridge. As he was drinking, he heard a door squeaked open and a voice appeared from behind.

'Yah, I borrow your clothes'

It can't be?!

Eric stopped drinking and turned his body as slowly as possible. He froze when he saw a young guy with pretty features pouting while complaining about how the clothes were too big for him. Eric took a few steps back slowly until he touched the kitchen bar.

'Who... Who are you?' Eric stuttered. He didn't remember bringing any strangers in.

Except...!

'It's me, Ace'

Eric's eyes widen.

Oh fck! It wasn't a dream!

He never expected that the criminal he hated the most would be this handsome!

'Why? Too stunned by my beauty?' Ace smirked.

Eric blushed a little by his remarks.

'Don't joke around with me! Anyways, just sit at the dining table. I'm preparing breakfast' he said coldly and made his way to the kitchen.

Few minutes later, Eric came back with two plates of food for both of them. His devil side told him to let Ace suffer and just handcuffed him but the angel side of him told to treat his injury and catch him with fairness.

'Why do you get to eat fried rice and I get porridge?!' Ace whined.

Eric rolled his eyes. He swore to God that the brat was being so ungrateful.

'Just eat the porridge, will you?! You're injured and sick people should eat that!' he hissed.

'But I'm not sick!' Ace protested.

Eric just glared at him and threatened, 'Take it or leave it!'

'Hmm...'

Ace pouted cutely while staring at the porridge. After minutes of consideration, he took the spoon and ate it. Once in awhile, he glared at Eric for giving him a simple meal. Eric on the other hand couldn't help but to feel intrigued by his cuteness.

Cuteness?! What the hell, Eric?!

He's a criminal and he's definitely not cute!

The older guy could heard Ace hissing in pain quietly every time he scoop the porridge because it affected his wound.

Should I help or should I not?

Eric sighed and he put down his own spoon. He took a seat beside Ace and took Ace's spoon.

'Here, let me'

Ace didn't know what was happening and when Eric wanted to feed him, he stayed away from him.

'What... What are you doing?' Ace blushed a little by the sudden act.

'Well, you look like you're being tortured so might as well I help you. Especially when I'm in a nice mood now' he said nonchalantly.

'I can do it by myself'

'No, you can't' Eric said flatly.

Ace pouted, 'I said... I CAN!' he unconsciously reached out his hands and immediately yelled in pain.

'OWW!!' he touched his chest and checked inside the t-shirt to see if the wound reopened or not.

'I told you so. Now, do you want to eat or not? If not, I'm going to work now' Eric said.

The thief slowly nodded and let Eric feed him. No one had ever fed him before and he suddenly felt good when Eric willingly did that. After breakfast, Eric forced Ace to eat the medicines and told Ace to get some rest. But Ace said that he will right after he relaxed at the couch. The detective just sighed and followed his needs.

'Why did you reveal your mask? Don't you scared that I might know about your real identity?' Eric suddenly asked.

Ace shook his head while his eyes kept staring at the TV, 'Nope, you won't find anything about me. Plus, you're too slow to catch me. You failed 23 times already'

Eric felt like punching the guy but considering that he was injured, Eric just had to be patient.

'It's not that!'

This time, it was Eric's turn to pout and Ace chuckled when he saw the adorable expression.

'But I'm amazed by you. Usually people would just give up on catching me. But, not you. Why?'

'Because you're one of a kind of criminal' Eric slowly admit.

'One of the kind?'

'You don't steal money or gold. Instead, you steal invaluable items. I googled The Mask and it said that it doesn't worth much'

Ace scoffed, 'Trust me, although The Mask doesn't worth at all, but it has its own value'

'And what value is that?'

'I don't know. Only some people would noticed the value'

'Speaking of The Mask, what happened exactly?'

'Funny story, the person that I stole The Mask from hired some bodyguards to catch me. I managed to escape but I was too attracted by something else' he chuckled lightly.

'And how did you find my house?'

'Oh, I know everything about you, Eric Mun. Since the first day, we encountered each other'

Eric raised his eyebrows.

'Eric Mun. 35 years old, single and available. A workaholic. Parents died when he was 10 because of a car accident caused by a drunk driver. Ever since then, that young boy wanted to be a police to serve justice, not for himself but for everyone else. Lived with his beloved grandmother until 20 when she died because of cancer' Ace explained details by details.

'Everyone can get that details from my report' Eric shrugged his shoulder.

'Let's try this then'

'The scar that you have on the forehead was because you were beaten up when you tried to help a little boy get his toy back'

Eric was shocked by the revelation. He never told anyone about it!

'H-How?'

'I'm a thief. I stole items and informations from people'

How can he forgot that Ace was a thief? He totally forgot about it as they were talking like friends.

'I'm going to work now' Eric stood up as he wanted to escape from the weird atmosphere.

The whole time when Eric was working, he dazed out. More because he was wondering what Ace was doing right at that time. The weird thing about it was he didn't think negative stuff about the thief, he was more worried about him.

What was he doing?

Was he hungry and needed food?

Had he took his medications or not?

Right 6:30 pm, Eric packed his stuffs as he was ready to go home.

'Where are you going, Eric hyung?' Andy, his junior detective asked.

'Hmm... Home?'

'Woah, this is the first. Why? Is your girlfriend coming to visit?' Junjin, his partner smirked teasingly.

'Y-Yah, no! It's just that I'm tired and I wanted to sleep' Eric unconsciously stuttered.

'Yeah sure' they both smirked.

'I'm home' Eric announced when he arrived at his house.

He didn't know why but he felt nervous. This was the first time people stayed at his house especially when he didn't know that 'people' so much. He heard noises from the kitchen and when he entered, he saw Ace who was trying to cook spaghetti.

'What are you doing?' Eric asked curiously.

'!' Ace threw the large cooking spoon as a reflect.

'Don't scared me like that, Eric!' he scolded.

It was Ace's first time seeing Eric laughed out loud and it made him happy to see Eric's bright face.

'Yah, don't laugh!' Ace pretended to pout.

Eric unconsciously pinched his cheeks lightly and helped Ace with his cooking.

'Obviously, you never cook before' Eric said in between his laughs.

'I do! It's just that I'm lazy to do it'

'Yeah, sure' he said sarcastically.

After dinner, they played video game and apparently Ace didn't know how to play.

'Seriously, Ace. I'm 35 and I'm good at it. What did you do with your life so far?'

'I don't have anyone to play with' Ace said quietly. He thought that Eric wouldn't heard him but the detective did.

'You know what? I'm going to teach you until you've become a master at it' Eric said with determination.

Ace chuckled, 'Hahaha, okay'

They played video games the whole night. Eric didn't bother to go to bed although he had work tomorrow. But little did he know, Ace was getting sleepier and soon he fell asleep on the futon in front of the TV. Eric smiled and took a blanket from his room and covered Ace.

'Goodnight, little thief' he whispered.

He thought that he wanted to accompany Ace that night by sleeping on the couch. And he did.

(Next morning)

Eric slowly opened his eyes when the sun rays shone through the balcony window. He expected to see sleeping Ace but instead, he saw a clean floor with no more futon and a piece of note on the coffee table.

*Thanks for the stay, Eric Mun~ As a token of gratitude, I'll tell you my name. Jung Pilgyo :)*

He couldn't believe what he just read and tried to look for Ace the whole apartment although his house was small. But he was gone for real.

Ever since Ace gone, Eric didn't know how to feel anymore. He wasn't angry, but more to sad. Ace didn't commit any crimes and when Eric tried to call him, he didn't pick up. Apparently, Ace didn't use the same number anymore. Eric searched all informations about Jung Pilgyo but he found none.

Who was Jung Pilgyo?

Was it his real name?

Why did he tell me his real name?

(A month later)

'Eric, are you coming for the Night Gala this Saturday?' Junjin asked.

'Hmm, see first. But maybe not'

'Why not? Hey, you need to go out and socialise. Ever since last month, you seem down and don't focus much at work. Is there anything you want to tell me?'

'No, I'm fine Junjin. Thanks for asking' Eric smiled.

No one had never heard about a rich guy named Shin Hyesung and when the latter was planning to do a Night Gala, everyone searched his name. Apparently, he was the only heir to the top IT and Technology company in the world but the weird thing was why didn't everyone know about him? It all made sense when it was said that his cousin, Shin Yuri who managed the company. When the name Shin Yuri was mentioned, everyone knew her.

(That Saturday)

After Junjin and Andy kept forcing Eric to go to the Gala, he agreed but he told them that he was going to be late. On purpose. As he was lying down on his bed, he received a text.

*I'm going to commit my crime tonight. Would I be seeing you then, Mr Detective?*

Eric didn't have to ask who was the sender because he knew his Ace was back in action. He knew he was supposed to inform his bosses but at that moment, he was desperate to see Ace again. After a month. He jumped off the bed and got ready.

(At the Gala)

Everyone had arrived at the Gala and when Eric saw Junjin and Andy at the corner of the hall, he went to them.

'Hyung!' Junjin called.

'Have you tour this house? It's freaking huge man! How can he lives alone here?' Andy said in excitement.

'Alone?'

'Yeah, they said that the Shin Hyesung guy lives here alone. With his butler, Maki'

More chances for Ace to steal then.

'Have you seen him?'

'Who?' Andy asked.

'That rich guy, of course!'

Junjin and Andy shook their heads.

'No, but we saw Shin Yuri'

I don't want to see her.

'Okay then' Eric nodded and leave them both behind. He had to find Ace before he stole something.

As he was roaming, a voice appeared from behind.

'Don't bother to look for me. It's useless especially when you can't see things'

It was the same sentence! Same intonation! Same tone!

When Eric looked behind, he froze. He finally found Ace again!

'Let me introduce myself again' he faked a cough so that Eric's thoughts were cut off.

'My name is Shin Hyesung and I am the heir of IT & Technology' he reached out his hand to shook.

WHAT?!

Eric couldn't processed what he just heard but he still slowly shook hands with Hyesung, or what he used to call Ace.

'H-Hyesung?'

'Yup. I am Shin Hyesung' he smiled.

When leaned forward to whisper, 'But only you know me as Ace' he winked.

'Where have you been?!' Eric said once he got back to reality.

'In this house. With my butler'

'Why I couldn't reached you?!'

'About that...' he said awkwardly.

'I want to give you a private tour around this house'

'But I already made my own tour' he kinda whined.

'Trust me, not all'

And what he said was true, there was secret doors everywhere. Just like in the movie Batman! As Hyesung was showing him around, he told him about his true identity.

'My parents were killed by assassins and I was the only one who survived because Maki saved me. Ever since that day, Maki had made a fake death of me and he changed everything for me. No one knew who the Jung's only son because he was never existed. Now, I'm known as Shin Hyesung but I still don't manage the company. Instead...' he paused and chuckled lightly.

'I became a thief. A good one, to be accurate. Do you want to know the reason why I became a thief, Eric-ah?' Hyesung looked at Eric.

'Why?'

'Because of you'

'Me?' Eric frowned.

Now, he was more confused.

'Let me tell you a story'

Then, they sat at the bench in the backyard garden.

'There was once a little boy who just lost his parents and the only things that kept him reminded of them was a small puppy toy. The boy loved it so much that everywhere he went, he carried with him. But one day, he got lost and walked around the street carelessly. Suddenly, there were bunch of boys bullying him and to make things worst, they took his beloved toy. The boy started to cry and begged them to return it but all they did was pushing him harshly. The boy didn't leave, instead he cried on the floor. As he was crying, he felt someone tapped his shoulder. When he looked up, he saw an older boy staring at him weirdly. He asked him what happened, the little boy told him everything. The little boy never expected that he would go and steal the you back from them. But unfortunately, he was caught and he got into a fight. But nevertheless, he won although he came with a bloody forehead. He returned the toy to the little boy telling him not to cry anymore and be strong so that people won't bully him anymore' Hyesung ended his story.

'You know what happened to him now?' he looked at Eric.

Eric didn't answered because he was so shocked by the story.

'That little boy had become strong and he became a thief. He stole what other people had stole and give it back to the rightful owner. The joy on the owner's face is always the most valuable thing'

'So... You're the little boy' Eric concluded.

'Always been the little boy, not a thief anymore' he smiled.

'Not a thief?'

'Here's another other story'

'I would love to listen to it' Eric smiled.

'There was a thief who likes to steal items and there was a detective who always wanted to catch him. One day, he got injured and the kind detective helped him by letting him stay without telling other people about the thief's identity. Although the thief only stayed for 2 nights, he felt like he has fallen for the detective. Maybe to people, it was kinda weird to like someone just in 3 days but not to the thief. He felt like he didn't want to ruin anything as he felt attached to the detective, so he left. He didn't committed any crime, didn't use his old phone number. Do you want to know why?'

Eric's heart was beating rapidly and he only managed to nod.

'Because that thief wanted to leave his crimes behind, so that he wouldn't troubled the detective in future time'

Eric grinned widely as he felt the same thing towards Hyesung.

'Can I change the storyline?' Eric suddenly asked.

Hyesung's facial expression changed. He was scared if Eric didn't like or disgust by his story. But he just nodded weakly.

'The detective didn't want the thief to leave his crimes behind because what he did was a good kind of act. Although it's wrong in the country's law. And to make the relationship works, the detective had to drop the case and moved on to another case that didn't involved the thief. They would finally have their happy ending' Eric smiled.

Eric slowly intertwined his fingers with Hyesung's and leaned in forward to kiss the younger guy. It was too sweet at that moment and they didn't have to tell each other how they felt at that time. Because what they were doing was the answer to everything on their new relationship.