The Cure

Ricsyung's Dribbles

Summary : Past, Present and Future

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Past)

'I'm not even the student council for God's sake!' Hyesung hissed under his breath as he was forced to stay back helping his friend which was the VP of the school. 

As he walking passed the music room, he noticed the door was slightly opened. No one ever used the room except for Mondays and Thursday and that day was Wednesday. Hyesung was never the type to care about everything that happened around him but when he heard the drum coming from that room, he unconsciously became a little curious. He secretly peeked inside and saw a guy setting up the drum. The guy must not had noticed Hyesung's existence as he immediately started playing. 

The guy looked so passionate as if the drum was his life. Hyesung was too focused staring at him that he didn't realised that he had stopped playing.

'Hiiii! Wanna come in? You've been staring at me for some time now' the guy said with a friendly tone while waving his hands.

Hyesung snapped out from his daze and took a step back causing him to accidentally trip. He started to blush in embarrassment when he heard the guy chuckled. Hyesung couldn't heard what the guy was mumbling about but what he knew next was the guy standing in front of him while reaching out his hand for Hyesung to grab.

'Let me help' he said.

Hyesung didn't dare to look at him but took the hand nevertheless. He knew he should just went straight home but instead he followed the guy inside. 

'How long have you noticed?' Hyesung asked softly.

'Around 5 minutes' 

Hyesung glared at him, 'And you didn't even tell me!' he scolded.

'But you look so cute!' he defended himself.

'You cannot call a guy cute!'

'But you're an exception!' 

Silence...

Hyesung and the guy looked at each other and started laughing. Oddly enough, they felt like they've been friends for years.

'What's your name?' Hyesung asked.

'Eric. Eric Mun. You?'

'I'm Hyesung. Shin Hyesung'

'Say... Wanna go back together? It's getting late now' 

Hyesung eyed him suspiciously and stood up, 'If you try to do something funny, just know that I'm good at martial arts' he threatened.

'Oh please... I'm not a ert' Eric rolled his eyes and walked out from the music room with Hyesung.

'Yeah right...' he smirked.

Next day, he found out that Eric was actually a new student that just transferred from USA. How did he know? Well, his cousin Junjin and his friend, Minwoo was in the same class as Eric and they introduced him to Hyesung, Dongwan and Andy during the break. The others were surprised at how Hyesung could click with Eric instantly as the brunette guy wasn't the friendly type.

Present

'Hmm, excuse me?' 

Hyesung who was packing up his things after class looked up to look who called him. It was his course-mate, Kangta.

'Yeah?' 

Kangta scratched his head and hesitantly asked, 'Do you want to go out with me this weekend?'

'Is this a date?' Hyesung raised his eyebrows suspiciously. It wasn't like Kangta was the first person to ask him that kind of questions.

'If you want to see it that way...'

Hyesung sighed and looked at him with no pity, 'I'm sorry but I have a boyfriend'

Hyesung wanted to leave but Kangta blocked him.

'I heard from people that you would say that. But I never see you texting, calling or even any evidence showing that you have one' he said persistently.

Hyesung tried not to roll his eyes, 'Because he is in US and the time zone is different. Well if you would excuse me, I'm going to get going' he said and leave the room.

It had always been like that with Hyesung. Even though he is a nice person that you can ask him about homework and assignments but he wasn't a friendly person that you can just hangout straight away. The only people he was open to is Eric, Junjin, Andy, Dongwan and Minwoo.

'What's wrong, hyung?' Andy asked when he saw the annoyance look on Hyesung's face.

'Someone confessed to me'

'Okay... So?' Dongwan raised his eyebrows.

'He said that I was lying about having a boyfriend' he pouted.

Both Dongwan and Andy laughed. It was true that you won't find any evidence that Hyesung had a boyfriend but the gang knew better.

'If Eric hyung knows about it, he would kill the person' Andy commented.

Before Hyesung could reply, he saw his two other friends walking towards them. 

'Yoooo, Minwoo, Junjin! How was the test?' Dongwan asked when the two said guys walking towards the gang at the nearby fountain.

'It was okay!' Junjin said as he was satisfied with his performance.

'That bloody guy is always one step ahead of me' Minwoo groaned in annoyance as he was referring to his rival that was in the same course as him.

'He is nothing, Minwoo. With that attitude of his, he won't go far' Hyesung consoled his poor friend.

After high school, they all got into the same university and they were so happy when they found out because they didn't expect it. Junjin and Minwoo took dancing, Dongwan and Hyesung took vocal and Andy took painting.

'Thanks, Hyesung... You always know how to make me feel better' he playfully hugged Hyesung which of course, he was pushed away.

As they were talking, Hyesung received a text and immediately he packed his bag before excusing himself.

'I'm going to go now, guys. See ya!' Hyesung waved his hand and ran towards the learning centre.

Learning centre is a place where you can do your own work and have discussions with your friends. It's also a good place to relax. Once Hyesung was inside, he chose a spot that was secluded from the rest of the students. He switched on his laptop and clicked the Skype icon. He clicked the only name on his favourite list and waited for it to connect.

'Hey babe, have you finished your class?' the other side of line asked with a smile on his face. To Hyesung, his boyfriend looked as handsome as ever even though he looked pale.

'Yeah... What about you? Have you taken your medicines?' 

'Yeah. So how was class?'

'Nothing extraordinary. The lecturer gave an assignment. My course-mate confessed. Yeah, that's pretty much it' he shrugged his shoulder.

Eric seem unamused. Hyesung always told him everything including people confessing to him. During the early stage of relationship, he was jealous at first but then he realised that his boyfriend is too handsome to go unnoticed. So it didn't bothered him at all now.

'What did you do today?'

'Nothing, boring and usual stuff. Treatments, a walk around the hospital, medicines. Hey, my family sends their regards'

'Tell them I said hi too!' Hyesung smiled.

'Hyesung-ah...' Eric called softly.

'Hmm?'

'The operation is this month' 

Hyesung felt his heart stopped but he quickly regained his conscious and calmly replied, 'Finally you wanted to go for it...'

'Yeah, the doctor said I shouldn't delay it any longer'

'I told you you shouldn't!' Hyesung glared at him.

'I know but I'm scared. But you know what's more scary?' 

'What?' Hyesung just looked at him as a reply.

'Not being able to see you forever'

'Eric...' Hyesung said hoping the older guy to stop.

'No, listen first' 

Seeing Hyesung nodded, he continued, 'It scared me how unpredictable the operation is going to be. Then, I realised that it's better to take the risk than not being able to see you forever. I don't want to stuck here forever knowing I won't be seeing you and I could die any moment. But me having the operation, I might survive for a couple of years and spend my time with you' he smiled widely.

Hyesung tried not to shed tears because he had promised himself to look strong in front of Eric because he knew that the older guy was more scared than him. 

'Babe... Dance for me' Eric suggested when he saw Hyesung felt silent.

Hyesung gave him a ridiculous look, 'What?! You know I cannot dance!'

'But I miss seeing you dance!' Eric pouted cutely.

'No way, Eric Mun!'

'Please...!'

'Not going to happen'

'Pretty please with a cherry on top' he tried again.

Hyesung sighed and showed a number one, 'Once. Only once!'

'Yayyy!' Eric clapped his hands childishly.

Hyesung sighed and mumbled something that Eric couldn't hear before he stood up in front of the computer. He started singing and dancing to the 3 Bears song which made Eric laughed wholeheartedly. He was passionately dancing as he was so happy looking at Eric's excited face. When he stopped, he then realised all eyes were on him and the students there have their eyes widen opened. 

Even in college, Hyesung became a popular student even though he didn't socialise and wasn't a friendly person. Maybe because he was friends with popular students like Minwoo or maybe because he was handsome, smart and likes to help people when they needed help in studies. They always see Hyesung as a quiet yet cool person but the one that they were looking was the total opposite.

Hyesung blushed in embarrassment and bowed apologetically before sitting down to glare at Eric. Eric just laughed at his angry face and Hyesung knew he couldn't be mad at Eric for a long time so he just sighed happily.

'Now, can you sing for me? I need my lullaby?' Eric requested.

'Why are you being so demanding out of the sudden?' Hyesung frowned.

'Because. I. Love. You~~' Eric showed him a heart sign.

Hyesung seriously couldn't get enough of Eric, so he did what he was told. He sang softly for Eric only to hear and after singing for a few minutes, Eric started to close his eye after saying, 'I always love your voice, Hyesungie' 

Hyesung continued singing to make sure that Eric completely fell asleep and when he confirmed, he stopped and looked at the peacefully sleeping figure. He observed how pale Eric's face was especially his lips. How the IV liquid was dripping and connected to his veins. It must be painful for Eric getting through this and Hyesung couldn't do nothing but to give strength and to watch. Then, the moment of realisation struck when he saw Eric's body wasn't moving.

'Eric?' Hyesung called softly.

'Eric-ah?' he called again but this time, he was starting to panic. But soon, he sighed in relieved when he saw Eric's chest moved upwards and downwards due to the constant breathing.

Hyesung couldn't handle it any longer. He shut down his laptop and walked out from the centre. He went to his comfort place which was the college' rooftop and called his friends. He really needed someone to talk to.

The gang came and they knew what was the cause of Hyesung's fear as the brunette guy was frantically walking in circles.

'Hyung...' Andy called softly.

Hyesung halted his steps and ran towards Andy to hug him.

'He... He is finally going to undergo the operation' his voice finally cracked.

The gang didn't say anything as they were waiting for Hyesung to continue.

'He is getting worse... He said that the treatment is working but I doubt so. He looked paler than last week I talked to him! I'm scared guys! When he was sleeping just now, I thought he was already dead!' he said and fell on the ground due to his week knees.

'HOW CAN I LIVE WITHOUT HIM?! HOW AM I GOING TO SURVIVE KNOWING HE COULD DIE IN FRONT OF ME?! WHY MUST IT BE HIM TO HAVE CANCER?! WHY MUST IT HAS TO BE THE MOST CHEERFUL AND POSITIVE PERSON?! WHY?!' Hyesung yelled in frustrations.

Dongwan, Minwoo, Junjin and Andy were speechless as they never seen Hyesung like this. All this while, Hyesung was calm and always accepting the way things were. When Eric first came to their high school, he already informed them that he had cancer and even though they knew Hyesung couldn't accept the fact, he was always positive and gave supportive words to Eric. Heck, after a few weeks of knowing each other, they became a couple! They looked very happy together as if Eric was never sick!

When Eric told them that he was leaving right after graduation because the treatment in US is better, Hyesung sulked for a week for a reason that Eric should've told him earlier. But in the end, he forced Eric to call or Skype him at least once every two days. 

But to see Hyesung in this current condition, they knew it needed a lot of strength to stay strong and not to show any sadness in front of people. Especially Eric. They knew that Eric looked worse before once in awhile Eric would call them to ask them to keep an eye on Hyesung. They thought that Hyesung would get depress or some but they were wrong. Hyesung pretended as if nothing happened and studied hard in college that he always achieved excellent results. 

'Hyesung-ah, you know that Eric would kill us if he knows you're being like this... How can you think Eric wouldn't get better? He's a fighter. He fights for the world especially you' Minwoo consoled and gave him a tight hug.

'He's right, hyung... You have to be strong for him to be strong' Junjin continued.

'I-I'm just scared...' Hyesung mumbled while still sobbing.

'That operation is nothing compared to your love to Eric hyung. God will help you guys, I'm sure' Andy smiled and patted his back.

'He wants to undergo the operation to get better, so that he can stay here with you forever. Don't forget that' Dongwan said with a soothing tone.

Hyesung didn't say anything but he just nodded. After crying for an hour, he finally stopped and apologised to his friends for being dramatic. They and said he was always a dramatic friend. Even though they didn't say much while Hyesung was crying but they knew Hyesung felt a little bit better.

(Future)

Hyesung tried to suppress his urge to call Eric because he didn't want to disturb Eric's healing time after the operation. They talked last month, one day before Eric went for the operation. Hyesung felt a lot better thanks to his friends, so when he talked to Eric, he felt positive and was worried to the minimum. 

Hyesung told Eric's sister to keep in touch with him about the operation and he received a text saying the surgery was a success and they were still waiting for the result. Now, it was time for Eric to take plenty of rest.

Luckily for Hyesung, he had exam so he used that as a distraction to not calling Eric. It's been two months now and all Hyesung did was to send a text because he didn't want to disturb Eric. He wasn't mad at Eric for not calling him because he understood the situation and he felt immature if he got mad about it.

*Eric-ah, I heard from your sister that the operation was a success. Have plenty of rest and eat well! Then, you have to call me okay. I miss you xxx*

Hyesung sighed and started walking towards the college car park since he parked his car there. But before he could reach there, he was blindfold by unknown figures.

'Hyung, we have a surprise for you. Your birthday is last week right' Junjin said in excitement.

'But you guys have gave me your presents. I still hate your present tho, Minwoo' Hyesung teased since Minwoo gave him soft toys. Even though he wasn't a fan but he decorated the toys on his bed.

'YAH!' Minwoo slapped Hyesung's head.

'Just come, hyung!' Andy pulled his hands.

'After 3, you open the blindfold okay' Dongwan said.

'If I don't?'

'Your lost!' 

'Fine...' Hyesung mumbled.

The gang took a few steps back and started counting loudly and created a scene.

'ONE'

'TWO'

'THREE'

After they shouted, they ran away laughing loudly.

'HOPE YOU LIKE OUR PRESENT!' Junjin shouted.

Hyesung rolled his eyes and unfolded the cloth that was wrapped around his eyes. He froze at his spot and felt the time stopped. He couldn't believe that his object of affection was standing in front of him grinning widely with a sign *OFFICIALLY A CANCER FREE PATIENT*.

'Yah, what are you standing there? Come here!' Eric laughed at Hyesung's confused+shocked+doubtful look and opened up his arms widely.

Hyesung started to tear up and jumped onto Eric causing the older guy to carry him.

'Y-You're finally back' he said with a low tone. He didn't want Eric to hear his crack voice but it was too late.

'Back for good. Sorry I didn't call you. I wanted to make you a surprise and I need to make sure that I'm healthy enough to see you'

'This is the best birthday present ever!'

'Really? There's more you enough' Eric smirked.

'Really?' Hyesung blinked his eyes cutely and received a quick peck on his head.

'Really. Wanna go now?' Eric put him down and grabbed Hyesung's keys from his hands.

'Yes!' Hyesung grinned widely.

They didn't noticed that they have a huge crowd looking at them and those who didn't believe that Hyesung didn't have a boyfriend finally did. And Hyesung became more popular than he already was. 

Hyesung : Sometimes, the cure that you need to the deadliest disease is the strength in love of two people.