43

Effleurer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Damn it, Baekhyun.” He hissed as he jumped from the bed, grabbing his phone before dashing out of his room. The man frantically pushed the elevator button many times out of frustration, although he knew it wouldn’t make the elevator come faster.

Baekhyun had been dragging the IV stand around with him while trying to chase the girl. But it seemed like he was too late. He had been to all the corner of the first floor, but he still couldn’t find her anywhere. The man also tried calling her driver, but he said that he hadn’t left the hospital and she hadn’t asked for him yet. It could mean that she took a cab—which Baekhyun kind of believe she wouldn’t do because he knew her brother would scold her, yes, after everything that happened to the little sister—or it also could mean that she was still around. The girl could possibly go to the office, as Baekhyun was staying in the Kim Hospital. He took a detour to the northern wings to reach the elevator which could bring him to the highest floor where the office was placed. It wouldn’t hurt to try to look for her there.

“Hello, Sir. You are a patient, right? I don’t think it’s okay for you to wander here. May I know if you need anything?”

“Hi, you’re right, I’m a patient. I’m sorry I was wondering if Miss Kim come here earlier. I’m afraid I will need to borrow the access card to meet her if she is present.” Baekhyun said, tapping his fingers on the marble counter impatiently, earning a frown from the receptionist. The man noticed that she looked kind of reluctant of giving any information. “I am Byun Baekhyun, patient from VVVIP 315. I’m sorry but I really need to check if she was in her office right now.” He tried to keep his voice under control.

“Yes, of course, Sir.” She pulled out a card from the drawer and gave it to him, knowing that people from VVVIP were not just anyone. And for him to know how to get to the CEO’s floor, she was already aware that he’s someone from; or someone who had connection with the higher up. And of course, she noticed the surname. “Forgive me for keeping you waiting, Mr. Byun.”

 

 

 

 

 

Aerin watched as she puffed her warm breath into the cold thin air. It was freezing, but she still didn’t want to get inside. The girl was sitting on the swing at the small garden outside her office, her most favourite part of this place. She tried to keep herself warm, hiding her hands deep inside the pocket of her furry coat. It was not snowing today, but she could see the traces of snow on the roof of the lower building around. Sometimes she wiped the tears which still rolling down her cheek.

Sigh. She still couldn’t stop her tears from falling.

Sometimes she hated being herself.

She hated herself for being weak. For being helpless. For being too easy.

People around her always said she had a lot of things others wanted to have, yet it was so hard for her to find the reason to love herself. She once was proud of being herself. That one time when she could shine on her own on the stage. But that was that.

Until she lost a hold of her own self and let it drown into nothingness that she built those walls.

Aerin always thought she had built the wall around herself tall and thick enough not to let anyone in. But here she was, still being weak even after making sure that no one would be able to destroy the wall. And being even more helpless, after letting someone in, watching as the tall and thick wall she tried to keep standing slowly crumbled until it wasn’t there anymore.

Then someone else came effortlessly, stopping her from once again building the wall even after she pushed away. Warm and constant, like a ray of sunshine after every long and endless night. He gave a breather to her suffocating lungs, showing her that there would be spring after a harsh and cold winter. Instead of taking her away from the darkness, he taught her to stand up, to open her eyes and made her realise that stars needed darkness to shine the brightest. Not leading at the front, nor supporting from the back, but he stood right beside her and held her hand tight to walk together.

Being around his presence made her feel warm, safe, and protected.

Like she was home.

“When I first met you, it wasn’t like what people say. There were no fireworks inside my chest. There was no butterfly flying inside my tummy. There was nothing.” The girl pulled her coat tighter around herself as she felt someone’s warm presence, taking the space, standing behind her before gently pushing the swing. “The very first thing running inside my head was… does she know that it’s going to be me?”

“You looked smart. You sat there and listened to the whole presentation. I was mesmerised.”

“I already knew about the deal my parents had with yours, but I wasn’t sure if you knew. I didn’t give a damn about it, not until I saw and met you personally. So, when I got home, I typed your name on the search bar and boom! I felt so small, like there was no way I would be able to stand beside you because you were shining so bright on your own. You are so pretty and dazzling. It was impossible for someone as special as you to be with me. But I still tried to see if I would fit, for the sake of my parents.”

“Then we officially met at the dinner my parents and your brother arranged, and you straight told me that you already had someone you love. You know somehow my heart broke a little that time.” Aerin heard him chuckled softly. “So, I took my distance. Not too far to still have you around, and not too close to give you the space you wanted.”

“And as time went by, as I spent more and more time with you, I couldn’t stop it. I couldn’t stop this feeling from growing. I couldn’t stop myself from falling in love with you.” He gently stopped the swing before walking to her front, smiling to himself as he reminisced. The man slowly knelt on one knee, his hand reaching up, caressing her cheek with his thumb.

“But you’re giving up on us, Baekhyun.” She whispered and smiled bitterly. Her eyes were welling with tears, still not being able to stop them. Baekhyun remained silent for some seconds. She let out a sigh, knowing that the man probably wouldn’t give any answer again this time. “Baekhyun, you’re not wearing warm clothes. It’s cold, come on let’s get inside.” She tiredly said, averting her eyes from his.

The man shook his head and grabbed her hand. “No,”

“But it’s cold,”

“Babe, no, listen to me, please.”

“I won’t listen to you unless you wear this if you still want to be here.” Aerin started to take off her coat, but she was stopped by the man.

“You’re going to get cold.”

“But you’re sick.” The girl insisted as she put the coat around Baekhyun’s body. It was a bit small on him, but at least it could give some warmth. She didn’t want him to stay at the hospital any longer.

Baekhyun suddenly chuckled at the grumpy girl sitting on t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter