27

Effleurer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

“We need to be extra cautious from now on.” Junmyeon said when they finally settled in a secluded corner of the hospital’s cafeteria. He couldn’t stay long yesterday to gather more information about the car hitting Aerin because actually, the car ran away.

Jongin stiffen, didn’t expect the older to suddenly talk in a dangerous tone. “What is it now?” But somehow, he wasn’t surprised.

“The car. The police we are working with found the plate number through the road CCTV, but they figured out that it’s a fake plate.” Junmyeon tried to control his emotion, he really didn’t want Jongin to be affected too. Although he knew well how the younger would possibly be. “This morning they called me and said that the driver turned himself in but in a beaten-up condition. I went there and they let me involve in the interrogation. Took us long, but we managed to coax out enough information from him. And yes, as we already suspected, he was indeed paid to do this. He was actually told to crash your car. He’s been following your car for some days and waited for the right moment, that was until Aerin suddenly walked across the street, and the road was kind of empty, so he decided to take the chance. They have been targeting both of you.”

“What the ?”

“He insisted that he didn’t know who paid him. They gave him the money but not letting him know who they were. We’ve got a phone number, but it’s hard to track because they could just use a number and discarded them. But it’s getting even more suspicious because he was beaten up to pulp this morning, and whoever it was, they left him in front of the police station.”

“I’m afraid it’s because of the engagement. Does the news leak somehow? What the do they want from her?”

“We’re preparing everything in silence, Jongin. But the fact that you’re actually being followed, so we really can’t guess. I’ll ask someone to check if your phone is being tapped, and also to check everyone at home.”

“Thank you, Hyung.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Baekhyun,” Aerin whispered, shyly tugging Baekhyun’s arm after Jongin left them alone in the girl’s room. They just got back from the hospital this afternoon after staying for three days, with Baekhyun insisted to accompany them. At least for Jongin to know that they had a helping hand in case they needed one.

Baekhyun turned his attention to her and smiled, “Hm?”

“Can I ask you a favour?”

“What is it?”

“Can you keep a secret?”

“Is that the favour?” Baekhyun asked, teasing. “I will see what kind of secret first, though.” Baekhyun answered her, his smile gradually faltered because somehow it sounded serious, and Aerin didn’t actually seem comfortable. “What is it, Aerin?” He carefully sat beside her on the bed and reached her hand to entwine their fingers.

Aerin has been contemplating whether to ask for the older’s help. She thought of Chanyeol at first, especially after the best friend came to the hospital the other day, pouting and kept whining at her because apparently, he heard about her being in the hospital from no other than his sister. But no, Aerin just didn’t have the heart to even ask Chanyeol about this. She didn’t know if this would hurt Baekhyun, as she has no idea about how his feeling towards her. So, with her believing that they’re only friends, she decided to finally tell him. Because somehow, she knew he was the only one who could help her. “I want to go somewhere, but I don’t want Jongin oppa to find out. And I’m sure he wouldn’t let me go without anyone keeping myself company. I was wondering if you could bring me there. I—I want to see someone.”

“Sure.” Aerin’s face lit up at the agreement. “Just… I need to make sure if it’s somewhere safe. I mean, I don’t want to be on your brother’s bad side.” Baekhyun reasoned, smiling because the girl looked brighter at the moment. She answered him with enthusiastic nods.

“Are you staying over for dinner? I think I need to tell you the whole story before we go.”

 

 

 

Baekhyun tighten the grip on his wheel and slide through the darkness of the night, not even minding to turn the radio on as he wanted to just drown in the deafening silence. He felt weird as he started to notice the uncomfortable stir on his inside which has been bothering him for a while. He couldn’t stop replaying the scene on his head. The very moment when he felt this unfamiliar feeling started flowing through his veins.

The man remembered how her eyes sparked every single time she mentioned his name. He couldn’t miss how her lips twitched and pulled up into a smile every time she reminisced some moments they went through together. But no, it wasn’t him she was talking about. It was someone else.

“Are you sure he’s there?” Baekhyun remembered asking her before watching her smile started to falter and turned into a bitter one. She quietly shook her head.

“But Jongin oppa said he’s taking care of his little sister so, it doesn’t hurt to try,” The girl answered in a hopeful tone. And again, he saw how she tried to cover her worries with a smile. A smile which didn’t even reach her eyes.

Baekhyun didn’t like it.

And he was sure he didn’t like it even more when Aerin placed her hand on his, shyly holding his fingers as she asked this word he didn’t know he could loath this much.

“We… we’re friends, right?”

 

 

 

 

 

“Oppa,” Aerin suddenly broke the comfort silence while they were having their breakfast. Jongin looked up, signalling her that he was listening. “Chanyeol is leaving for Germany today. I actually promised him to spend his last week here together, but yeah, things happened, so I want to go to the airport to say goodbye. Can I go?”

“Oh, he’s going to study there?” The older asked, getting a nod as an answer. Jongin then nodded without hesitation, “Sure. What time is his flight? I will drive you, but first I need to drop by the office to take care of some things. I won’t be long.”

“N—no, it’s okay I will go with Baekhyun.”

The older slightly frowned. “Really?”

“Yes, he will pick me up and bring me back home, so you don’t need to worry.”

Jongin knew that he shouldn’t be worried because he definitely could trust Baekhyun, but it still hasn’t left his mind how the accident the other day wasn’t actually an accident. He didn’t want to let his sister go outside the house without him, as for now, he believed that the safest place for her was in their own house. Jongin still couldn’t trust anyone, that’s for sure. He hasn’t told the younger about it as he was afraid that it might frighten the little sister. But she needed to know, sooner or later he would need to tell her about this.

“Please?”

The brother heaved a sigh, “Fine. But I want you to promise me to go home as soon as you can, okay? Just go to the airport and go back home if you have nothing else to do.” Jongin said sternly, actually earning a pout from the younger sister.

“But we want to go to the ice cream parlour, though.” She pleaded.

“You don’t have your personal guard with you, Aerin.”

“But I’m going with Baekhyun, it’s not like someone would try to hurt me in the middle of us eating ice cream.” She put down her spoon rather harshly, creating a loud clanking with the ceramic plate. But she regretted it instantly as she bowed her head.

Jongin decided not to prolong the discussion. Aerin really looked like she wanted to go out, and it wasn’t really nice of him to stop it. The girl was right. She was just going out with Baekhyun, no one would try to hurt her as long as she was with him, Jongin tried to convince himself although he knew that it wasn’t convincing enough. “Alright. But I definitely will check every time, okay? Please don’t turn off your phone.”

The little sister only rolled her eyes, but Jongin only smiled at her annoyed reaction. “Fine. As long as you don’t track my phone then I’ll be fine.”

“Now you’re giving me ideas.”

“No, no, no!” She whined as Jongin got up from the chair after tapping his mouth with the napkin. He only chuckled while ruffling the girl’s hair. Jongin leaned down to place a peck on top of her head.

“Stay safe, okay. I expect to see you on dinner?”

“Okay.” Aerin answered with a sigh. The older ruffled her hair for the last time before rushing out to the office, leaving the girl trying to suppress her hopeful smile from spreading.

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter