26

Effleurer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin panted when he reached the private room on the 2nd floor of the restaurant. The waitress was still cleaning the table when he came in. “I’m sorry, I left my phone somewhere.” The waitress helped him look for it and quickly bowed after giving Aerin’s phone back. He said thanks as he turned to go out when there’s a call coming to the phone.

“Hello, Baekhyun.”

“Oh, hello, Mr. Kim.”

“Sorry, Aerin is in the car, she forgot her phone, so I had to run back to retrieve it.”

“Ah, I see,” Baekhyun laughed softly. “I’m heading to the café right now.”

“Alright, the café isn’t really far from here, we won’t take long.” Jongin said as he pushed the door. He was about to cut the call when he saw his sister running across the street. And his eyes widened when he saw the other car speeding to his sister’s direction all of a sudden. “AERIN!”

 

 

 

 

 

“She had a mild concussion, but based on the scans and other test, everything is fine. We only need to wait for her to wake up and run another test, especially because you mentioned that this happened before.” The doctor pointed to a specific column to Jongin. The latter only nodded and bowed when the doctor excused himself.

Jongin heaved a sigh as he peeked inside the room through the small window on the door. Aerin was still asleep, with Baekhyun sitting on the chair beside her bed. The boy was shocked when he heard Jongin’s scream on the phone right before the call was cut. He did rush to the restaurant the siblings were visiting since Aerin asked him whether to pick her up there or just meet at the café before deciding to do the latter in the end. But by the time he arrived, the commotion was already subsided. Only some minutes later Jongin called and told him that they rushed the girl to the hospital.

The older gently pushed the door, careful not to make any sound. Jongin walked closer before standing right beside the bed too, his hand gently caressing Aerin’s head who was bandaged. He noticed scratches on her skin here and there. His heart clenched as he recalled the scene on his head. Jongin couldn’t help but heaved another sigh.

He was relieved. Because this time, he wasn’t late, and both of them were safe.

“Mr. Kim, you should rest too.” Baekhyun said as he eyed Jongin’s bandaged hand.

Jongin smiled weakly. “It’s okay. I’m fine. By the way, you can drop the formality, Baekhyun.” Jongin saw the younger slightly bowed. They haven’t really talked together. They only met in some formal situation regarding the company, or together with his parents. And when it did, Baekhyun would be with Aerin most of the time. “Jongin hyung would be nice to hear.”

Baekhyun grinned at him although Jongin noticed that he was kind of nervous, “Alright, h—hyung, um. Jongin hyung.”

“So how are things going with Aerin? Does she give you much trouble?” The older handed him a bottle of juice he bought earlier before the doctor came.

“No, hyung. Not at all.” Baekhyun smiled, “Although, yeah, it’s still kind of hard for me to get closer to her. But still, I’m not giving up any time soon.” Though the younger was smiling, Jongin couldn’t miss the sad glint on his eyes which quickly disappear as he blinked. Jongin only responded with a sincere smile. At least he knew, and he had no doubt that Baekhyun would treat his sister nicely.

 

 

 

 

 

“Hyung!”

Jongin turned his head at the voice calling him. Baekhyun looked worried as he told him that Aerin was awake. Jongin quickly cut the call and went inside only to find Aerin sitting on the bed and crying hysterically.

“Oppa,” Her cry turned into a sob at the sight of Jongin. And she cowered as he closed the distance between them. She avoided his eyes, curling and pulling her knees up before circling her own arms around them. Jongin noticed how Aerin was shaking. No, please, don’t let this happen again.

“Princess.” Jongin carefully reached her hands. He was suddenly afraid her trauma might relapse. “Hey, look at me.” The girl slowly shook her head. “Princess, I’m here.”

Jongin gently tried to lift her head. He could see her lips were trembling. She bit her lips, trying to hold herself from crying. And the girl burst into another stream of tears as soon as their eyes met. “I’m sorry… Oppa, I’m sorry…”

“Hey, it’s nothing to be sorry about. What are you being sorry for, Baby?”

The younger shook her head and kept crying. “I’m sorry… it’s all because of me. You couldn’t play the role because of me.” Jongin felt a clench in his heart, and he instantly engulfed her in a hug, trying as hard as he could to hold his own tears. He’s gently drawing circle on her back, hoping to calm her down. “You couldn’t play the role you’ve worked so hard for because of me, and we also lost Mom and Dad because of me. I deserve everything. I’m sorry I never meant to forget it. I should’ve known why you hate me. I’m sor—“ Jongin only tighten the hug shushing her.

“Ssh… Aerin, no. It’s not your fault. It’s never your fault, okay. Ssh…” Jongin felt her wriggle and the next thing he saw she was trying to pull her hair. “Baby, ssh… stop it. Don’t hurt yourself. I’m here and I don’t want you to hurt yourself, okay?” The brother gently said as he stopped her hand. His heart felt like it was squeezed and torn into pieces. It hurt. It hurt so much. She was still crying but she finally stopped trying to hurt herself as Jongin kept her in a strong hold. “You have to know that it’s never your fault, Sweetheart. I’m sorry… I’m so sorry…” The brother never stopped drawing circle on her back, hoping to calm her down.

Jongin laid her back on the bed as soon as she calmed down. Baekhyun went out to call the nurse earlier. They quickly called doctor Yoora as soon as they knew what was actually happening, and the doctor decided to inject sedation through her IV.

“Is she okay?” His eyes were still glued on his sister, asking doctor Yoora.

“I think she probably remembered some memories that triggered the trauma. I still need to do some test to know if she actually found the memories she’s been forgetting because of the amnesia.”

“Do you think it is possible for her to find the memory she has forgotten because of the amnesia? It’s been too long.”

“Yes, it is still possible. But we need more test to find out about it.” Yoora caressed the younger’s head with affection. “It’s been long since the last time this happened.” She smiled sadly. “I only read about the cause of the amnesia from her medical report. Do you mind if I ask what happened that might trigger it?”

 

 

 

 

 

“What happened, Jongin? Are you okay?” Junmyeon asked, panting as he just rushed from his office after Jongin called him. Jongin was sitting on the couch when Junmyeon barged inside the VIP room. Baekhyun quickly got up from his seat and bowed. The older only nodded before shifting his attention back to Jongin. “Is your hand okay?”

“I’m okay. It’s just sprained. It’ll get better.”

“Aerin?”

“She had a mild concussion but everything’s fine. We were about to go from a restaurant when Aerin realised that she left her phone. I ran back inside to fetch it, but when I went out, she was chasing a kitten across the street. And you know it really feels like it’s—“

“A replay from the past.”

“Exactly.” Jongin whispered.

“Is she okay?”

“I hope it’s nothing serious. The doctor said everything’s fine. But earlier she woke up crying. I think she finally found the missing

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter