19

Effleurer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

Kim Jongin groaned in frustration. He threw the remote control right on the TV screen even before it ended airing the news—specific news reporting that his company was slowly crumbling. There were actually some protests that had been going on, held by the employees of the Kim Corporate itself. Jongin didn’t have any idea how they could bring out a lot of problems without him even knowing that it was actually happening inside the company.

After the shareholder meeting was held back in Seoul, things didn’t even get better. Jongin managed to keep an eye on the stock value but he couldn’t even do anything about it. He knew someone was playing with all this . This one company which already tried to take over the pharmacy wheel ever since his father was still the president. Jongin, being the only son that would inherit the company's throne, had already been warned about the enemies by his father. But he was too stubborn, thinking that his father wouldn’t need him, thinking that he would be able to solve it by himself so the boy just didn't even care about it at all. He was busy sneaking out, trying to create his own path without his parent knowing. After all, his dream wasn't to be on that chair in the first place. But then when his father tragically left the seat, the boy forced himself to leave his own dream, because it was pretty much obvious that there was no way for him to live it up. The company needed him.

Since the father passed away, he could already see that that was when the company started to fall apart. Problems came one after another, enemies started to attack here and there, scandals about Kim Jongin and Kim Aerin, the heirs of the company, arose every now and then. Even the internal problems seemed to get even more intense. Just like how Junmyeon told him, everyone might want to prove that Jongin was incapable so that he would leave the CEO seat. And now he was drowning in frustration. He didn't know how to make it survive. He didn't want all his parents’ hard work crumbled just like that, which unfortunately, it was because of him, because of his incompetent self.

Jongin went out from his car in front of the lobby, quickly throwing his keys to the valet boy who was just about to open the door for him, leaving him startled catching the keys. He brought his legs to cross the hall, with everyone abruptly bowing to him from their own places because of his sudden coming. It was a kind of respect, but also a form of fear towards their high tempered president. When he reached the elevator, the man punched the button to his floor right away. He unconsciously arranged his breath to a regular pace, trying to calm himself.

The old uncle was standing in front of his door, obviously waiting for his arrival. The older bowed to him right away after he saw the younger coming. “Young master, your guest has been waiting inside.”

“Alright, thank you, Uncle.”

 

 

 

“Good morning, Uncle Byun.” Jongin greeted the guest who was reading a newspaper on the couch.

“Hello, Young Man.” The uncle rose up from the couch to welcome the younger in a hug.

“It’s been a while, how’s your holiday in London? It’s really an honour to get a visit from you.”

The older only laughed. “You really know how to flatter, huh?”

Mr. Byun, or Jongin usually called him Uncle Byun, was one of his father’s best friends. They were pretty much a close friend as Jongin always heard from his father about how strong their friendship was going. Both of them started their own business from zero, and they were there for each other every time the other needed help.

“So how’s everything going?”

“Well, it isn’t good I admit it. Like how I told you before, Uncle. I feel like someone from inside is trying to do something funny. And I actually don’t know how to handle it because, yeah, I know it might be wrong but there are people I’m suspecting.” Jongin said while fiddling with his own fingers. Jongin respected him, and he trusted him, because he knew how much the older meant to his father.

“I might not be able to help you with the internal chaos, but this might help you with the reputation and the brand image, and not to mention, the stability and even the raise of the stock value. It could even give impact with the internal issues, could be a better one or it could only make it worse.” Jongin was listening to him carefully. “This might sound extreme to you, but you can take your time to think thoroughly about it. I didn’t expect you to agree this instant because it might sound like it will benefit me, but this is something that your father and I had been planning.”

Jongin didn’t know but his heart suddenly thundered inside his ribcage.

“It’s a merger, but not the one you would think about. Your father and I already talked about this a long time ago. And your father prepared the chair you are sitting in right now for you. But we want to do the merger to expand and widen both our company, through a marriage. Unfortunately I don’t have a daughter mature enough for you to get married with, because she was still in her junior high school right at the moment.” The older laughed, followed by a small nervous smile from Jongin. “But I have a son, he’s graduated from the university and currently learning to take over the company for me, so it will be your sister.”

 

 

 

 

 

A ray of sunshine sneaked through the gap between the curtains of a wide glass wall. The sound of cold breeze coming from the air conditioner was competing with the tic-tac sound of keyboard, cracking the silence. It was still early in the morning. Most people were probably still on their own way, going to the office, to the school, or to the market. But this brunette was already sitting inside his room, preparing the material he needed for the presentation later.

His eyes went back and forth between the screen and the book he was holding, synchronizing with the fingers that running through the keyboard forming the words. Sometimes he scratched his not-so-itchy head, just trying to get rid of the nervousness. He glanced at the clock every once a while, making sure that he still got enough time to finish the task. The notice came so sudden yesterday evening, straight from his company’s president, right before he was about to go home. The presentation needed to be held this morning since they said the company’s CEO was really busy, thus he really couldn’t let this golden chance slide.

“Oh, good morning, Sir.”

The other employees greeted him when they saw him coming out from the elevator, not so surprised because everyone already knew how hardworking this man was. He nodded and smiled to every greetings coming to him before going forward to the main door, half running. The man hopped into the car as soon as the chauffeur opened the door for him. He didn’t usually go with the chauffeur as he keen to drive around by himself. But he was too tired to go by himself this time. At least he could take a short nap through the ride as they were going to the destination.

 

 

 

“Good morning, Mr. Byun. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you,” A man greeted him as soon as he came inside the meeting room. Two members of his team who were already there waiting for him, rose up from their seat and came to shake his hand.

“Ah, I’m sorry I’m a bit late.” He said, getting a ‘no, you aren’t’ as a reply, “Pleasure to meet you. I’m Byun Baekhyun.” He shook his hand with the former.

“It’s an honour to have you here. Coffee or tea, Sir?”

“Tea, please. Thank you.” He said with a small smile spreading on his lips and nodded when the former excused himself from the meeting room.

Baekhyun quickly opened his laptop, preparing the material he was going to present. Sure it wasn’t the first time for him, but he kept being reminded about how important this company was. The man scanned his presentation once again to make sure that he didn’t leave even just a single important thing.

 

 

 

“Are you ready? The research and development team is already there, you’ll be with them through the presentation. You only need to watch it. The team already prepared some notes about the things that you should pay your attention to, but they are the one who would do the analysis and all, so you don’t need to worry.”

“Alright.”

“His name is Byun Baekhyun, Marketing COO of the Byun Pharmaceuticals. Just telling, just in case.”

“Byun Baekhyun? Not the CEO then?”

“No, not the CEO. The father is. I heard this one is the son.”

“Ah, I see.”

“Let’s go then, CEO Kim.” He said after the elevator door ding opened. “After you,”

 

 

 

Both teams were currently discussing some matters before they start the presentation when the door was knocked. The team leader rose up from his seat as soon as he saw one more attendee coming through the door. He gestured to his team to stand up before politely bowing to the one who was just coming inside. It was none other than their CEO.

Baekhyun shifted his gaze from the screen to the girl who was already standing not too far from him. It was only then he realize

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter