13

Effleurer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A man walked back and forth inside a grand living room. What am I even doing here? Stupid, so stupid. His head was actually mocking him. He scratched the back of his head, indirectly showing his frustration. The man went back to sit down on the couch, only for some seconds before standing back up again and went back to uselessly pacing back and forth. He was about to kick the sofa when the maid who opened the door for him came down from the stairs. She came to him—who was now back to sit on the couch, trying to calm his composure.

“Sir, you may come with me.” The maid politely asked him to follow her.

The man tailed behind her as they went upstairs. Oh well, he already knew that she probably would bring him to the girl’s room. Woah, what a princess, he thought, didn’t even want to go out from the room to greet a guest, huh? But then he didn’t know why he suddenly felt nervous when he saw a man walked out from a room and now heading to their direction.

Kim Junmyeon found the man’s eyes, and they exchanged a gaze. His face was strangely familiar. As they walked passing each other by, Junmyeon wondered where he had seen him. He was so sure that he met this man before. But he couldn’t think of anything right now. Junmyeon only took a last glance at him before he went downstairs to his room with a question mark floating inside his head.

The maid halted in front of a room and knocked the door. He heard a small voice not too long after she knocked, giving them permission to go inside. The maid politely bowed to him, asking him to wait outside before going inside the room.

And he heard it again.

He heard it, the melodious voice that he didn’t want to admit that he actually longed to hear.

“Thank you, Aunt. Let him in, and you don’t need to close the door after.”

The aunt went out and opened the door for him. The man gave her a small smile and thanked her before stepping inside the room.

His eyes met hers as soon as he stepped inside, sending a nervous wave down his body. Damn, he didn’t even know what was wrong with his system that a simple eyes and smile could make him numb like this. Both of them literally froze. One of them was questioning himself what was he doing, while the other was surprised that he was actually there.

“Um, hi.”

To say that she was surprised was really an understatement. She didn’t even know how to explain her surprise, confusion, and nervousness in one word.

Because she never expected to see Sehun standing there, in her bedroom doorframe with a warm smile simply plastered on his face.

 

 

 

 

 

Kim Jongin sat behind a desk, carefully flipping through some pages of last year's annual report. He has been there since the morning, startling everyone because Jongin never came to the hospital. He invited the top management for a sudden meeting, and everyone literally panicked because they had to prepare for the material they needed to show the CEO.

He wasn’t satisfied with the report from all departments, and he asked everyone to leave the paper on his desk, and he used his privilege to access the database himself. His forehead scrunched as he scanned the pages where the financial report was displayed at. Jongin was speechless. His eyes were glued at the monitor, with sometimes scanning the papers. And that literally gave him all the answer he couldn’t find earlier. The management of the hospital was actually screwed. It was no wonder that the shareholders threw him those big waves of protest and complain.

The man continued to scan through the other folders he could find. He didn’t have any idea about what had happened in the first place that it could be this bad. Going through the shelves, he took out every single folder and patiently went through everything. There must be something he missed. There must be something happened that he didn’t know about.

Surprise turned out to be an understatement. He was shocked when he found a single folder which was kept far at the end of the shelf.

The case. The medical malpractice. The lawsuit. Everything he didn’t know about.

 

Medical malpractice leads to death

Victim’s family files a lawsuit, Kim Hospital remains silent

Drastic decrease of Kim Hospital’s share stocks since the lawsuit

 

“Hyung, I need you to come here.” Jongin spoke as soon as the call picked up.

“Jongin, w—“

“Now, Hyung.”

Kim Junmyeon sighed as he pulled the brake. He glanced at the rear-view mirror and turned back to the highway. Something was wrong, he could feel it from the way Jongin spoke to him at the call. As much as Junmyeon hoped that it has nothing to do with the company, Junmyeon knew that Jongin probably already found out about everything.

 

 

 

 

 

“So, what brought you here, Sehun?” Aerin found her voice, breaking the cold yet calming atmosphere around the two. She smiled as he turned his attention to the girl, looking kind of flustered because she caught him zoning out.

“Uh… um,” He scratched the back of his head which didn’t even itch. “Ah yes, here,” Sehun handed a paper bag to her which she accepted with a question floating inside her head. “You left it at my apartment. I’m afraid you would need them, so… yeah.”

The girl took a peek inside the paper bag Sehun had handed her. It was her pink jacket, and the bottle of pills she usually put inside her bag in case of emergency. Aerin remembered him handing the pills when her scene happened days ago after the bus accident. Aerin thought he would be the ignorant type, but well, he proved it wrong.

“Are you… feeling better?” Sehun asked as he shifted at the chair behind her desk. He refused to sit on the bed and prefer to sit there since he was afraid he would make her feel uncomfortable. “You look um, even worse.” He had never seen someone looking this pale and tired like her, except this one person whom he couldn’t deny kept appearing on his head whenever he was looking at her. Aerin somehow reminded him of his mother.

She let out a tired smile, “I know. Sometimes I just don’t know what happened. I lost control of my own self and that’s kind of tiring.” The girl tilted her head, looking at him with such an endearment. “Aren’t you afraid of me?” She asked, catching his eyes wavering. “I guess you already know what those medicine works for by now.” She was smiling, but Sehun could hint the sadness beyond the smile. Because he knew that eyes could never lie.

It was weird he knew, but seeing the sad smile upon her lips only made him wanted to cheer her. And yes, he already knew what those medicine were for. Knowing the fact that a girl like her needed to take an antidepressant made him feel even worse. He wanted at least to help, erasing the sadness and replacing them even with just a glimpse of happiness. The man recalled the same sad smile she let out when she was dancing under the rain. Was it that hard to live as you? Is it possible to see your sincere smile someday?

Wanting to change the atmosphere, Aerin asked him another question as she didn’t get any answer from him. “I didn’t expect to see you here actually. How did you find my house?” She asked curiously. She got that the man already knew who she was, but people don’t reveal the Kim family’s manor to just anyone, and it somewhat bothered her that he could find it.

Sehun only scoffed at her, “I know who you are. That was all that I need. And it’s actually wasn’t that hard to find this place though.”

In her normal condition, Aerin wouldn’t accept that kind of answer and she would ask until she had the satisfying answer, but for now she was just going to let it slide as she was too tired even just to speak. Sehun somehow noticed that she looked really exhausted. He rose up from the chair and slipped his hands inside the pockets. “I will let you rest, I guess…”

Aerin nodded to him, “Thank you, for bringing these back.” She said, slightly raising the paper bag that she was still holding. “I really appreciate it.”

“No problem.” The man pulled a small smile. Sehun suddenly leaned to the bed, his hand reaching out to her head and ruffled her hair. Aerin was so sure that right at that moment, her heart suddenly leaped out of her chest. “Get well soon,”

And that was the first time she saw the cold Sehun smiling sweetly at her.

Sehun was about to reach the door, but he suddenly halted and turned back to her bed. “I forgot something.” He said. Aerin, who was still dazing because of the sudden affection, only tilting her head questioning his attitude, not quite understand what the man meant with that. His eyes wandered to her surrounding before he found her phone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter