Surprise Birthday

Love Charm: the value of affection beyond friendship
Please log in to read the full chapter

Taecyeon looked worriedly at Jessica. Had Tiffany been too much? Jessica didn’t say a word after entering the car. As he watched her, Jessica’s mouth slowly fell open and her head began to droop to one side. He lifted he head, but it fell back to the side. She was asleep! Tiffany looked back at Taecyeon in the rearview mirror and winked at him.

“Jessica really should be called sleeping beauty, not the ice princess. She can fall asleep anywhere and she’s difficult to wake up,” whispered Tiffany jokingly.

Wooyoung turned around to look at Jessica who slept with slightly open. He opened his mouth to make what would have probably been a bad joke, but he was shushed by Taecyeon who pressed his finger to his lips. Wooyoung turned back to face the front.

Taecyeon reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small black drawstring bag made of velvet. He leaned forward and fiddled with it between his knees so that no one could see, especially Jessica if she woke up.

Around 20 minutes later, Tiffany pulled up to a secluded portion of the riverbank on the edge of Seoul. She parked the car and quietly got out to open the trunk. Wooyoung followed her, but accidentally closes his door a little too loudly. He froze in place as Taecyeon and Tiffany flinched at looked to Jessica in a panic, but she didn’t even move and inch.

 “Wow, you weren’t lying when you said she’s more like sleeping beauty than the ice princess,” commented Wooyoung. Tiffany laughed, but quickly stifled it by covering her own mouth.

Tiffany and Wooyoung pulled out two large blankets, a box and a bouquet arrangement of white and pink gladioulus and sweet pea flowers. They walked over to the riverbank and spread out the blankets so that they overlapped each other on one side.

They opened the box and Wooyoung pulled out a cake. Tiffany closed the box and Wooyoung placed the cake on top of it. It was a simple white cake with sweetened whip cream frosting and chocolate decorations. At the center was an oval sheet of white chocolate that said Happy Birthday Sica in dark chocolate lettering. Tiffany carefully inserted 21 candles in an arc above the oval.

Meanwhile, Taecyeon pulled on the drawstrings of the bag to close it and put the bag back in his jacket pocket. He grabbed the bag with the roman candles and quietly exited the car. He laid out the roman candles a little closer to the river in front of the blankets, then joined Tiffany and Wooyoung. He handed Tiffany a lighter.

“What were you doing in the car that took so long?” asked Tiffany suspiciously.

“I just had something to put together is all,” replied Taecyeon as he crouched down next to them.

“Well go wake up Sica and bring her here,” said Tiffany as she struggled with the lighter. “If she refuses to wake up, try tickling her.” Tiffany pouted as she grew frustrated with the lighter. Wooyoung placed his hands around Tiffany’s. She stopped moving. He smiled slightly and looked at her warmly. He nodded at their hands.

“Allow me,” said Wooyoung. Tiffany let go of the lighter and gave it to him. He turned it on and locked it so that the flame would stay lit. He carefully handed it back to Tiffany. Taecyeon cleared his throat.

“Ahem,” said Taecyeon. Tiffany blushed and didn’t look up as she focused on lighting the candles. Wooyoung stood up. Taecyeon handed Wooyoung his camera with an evil grin that told Wooyoung he would be responsible for documenting their little party.

Taecyeon jogged back to the car and opened Jessica’s door. A cool breeze blew into the car, causing Jessica’s bangs to be blown out of place. She shivered slightly from the cold, but didn’t open her eyes.

Taecyeon kneeled down to look at her sleeping face. She breathed gently through her slightly parted lips. She wasn’t wearing much makeup. Maybe just some foundation and lip gloss. He stared at her for a while as it dawned upon him just how pretty she was.

He fell backwards startled when she unexpectedly whimpered in her sleep and readjusted her position. He chuckled at himself. It was just what he needed to wake up. He must be tired since it was so late. He picked himself up and shook her gently.

“Hey Sica, wake up…” he said softly under his breath, not wanting to frighten her. Jessica groaned, but did not wake up. He tried to tickle

Please log in to read the full chapter