Closure

Love Charm: the value of affection beyond friendship
Please log in to read the full chapter

 “How could you lie to me? Don’t you care about my feelings anymore?!” whimpered Tiffany into the phone.

“All I said was it makes me uncomfortable. You’ve been acting differently ever since that concert. Can’t I even tell my boyfriend when he does something that makes me uneasy?” Tiffany paused, listening to Wooyoung on the other end.

“Look, can’t we just meet up and talk about this in person?” Tiffany felt flushed. She pressed the back of her hand to her forehead in an attempt to cool it down.

“Well, shouldn’t calming your girlfriend down come first? We used to meet up at night all the time, whether you had practice in the morning or not.” Tears of frustration stung her eyes.

“You know what?! Fine, go to sleep! Whatever.” Tiffany hung up the phone and angrily slammed it on her nightstand. She collapsed backwards onto her bed, turned towards her pillow and proceeded to hit it over and over again in frustration.

Yet another phone call with Wooyoung ended in an argument. It seemed like they were arguing a lot these days. At first they argued about Jessica and Taecyeon. Tiffany hated to see her friend so miserable and wanted to help them along, but Wooyoung refused to discuss the matter and only told her to stay out of it. However, recently Wooyoung was hanging out with some old classmates he ran into during a concert in Busan.

Tiffany could not be sure, but her female intuition told her something was up. Wooyoung who used to tell her every detail of his day was suddenly being vague about what he was doing while out with these friends. She felt the need to be honest about her feelings and told him she felt like he was hiding something from her and that him hanging out with them made her uncomfortable. Unexpectedly Wooyoung overreacted to her words, thinking she was accusing him of something. Tiffany became more suspicious but let it go, thinking he would do his best to not make her uneasy.

For two days, she had been unable to reach Wooyoung. What made Tiffany more upset was that he did not even return her calls after receiving her voice messages. She even resorted to calling Nichkhun when she hadn’t hear from Wooyoung in over 24 hours. It was only from speaking to Nichkhun that she learned the boys had been granted three days vacation and that Wooyoung had taken the train home to Busan. In fact, Nichkhun was answering her call in Thailand. Everyone was due to be back home that evening.

When Tiffany finally got through to his cell phone tonight, she asked where he had been and why he had not returned her calls. He said his phone got damaged and he was only able to get it back today. This excuse did not sit well with Tiffany as she was more than aware that phone stores give customers loaners while their phone is being fixed. Furthermore, he did not mention going home to Busan. She confronted him about his trip. With no apology, he said he didn’t tell her because she said she felt uncomfortable about him hanging out with his friends.

Tiffany, too tired to hit the pillow anymore, leaned forward on her arms and tried to control her heavy breathing. He wouldn’t even meet with her tonight to clear things up, saying that he was tired from the train ride and had practice in the morning. Something was definitely wrong. Wooyoung was lying to her and avoiding her. He was definitely hiding something. This was not something she could let go.

 

Bzzz…. Bzzz… Her phone rotated as it vibrated. Thinking it was Wooyoung calling to apologize, Tiffany picked up her phone ready to hang up on him. To her surprise, and disappointment, it was not Wooyoung calling, but Jessica.

“Fany-ah,” said Jessica, sounding out of breath. “Could you please come help me take Taecyeon home? We’re by the river where we celebrated my birthday... Yah! Where are you… Get back here!” The phone call was cut short with only sounds of Jessica yelling after who Tiffany could only assume was a drunk Taecyeon.

Part of Tiffany in all honesty did not want to help Jessica right then. She somewhat blamed Jessica for her current situation with Wooyoung. If she had not been so wrapped up in Jessica’s issues with Taecyeon, she and Wooyoung would not have started arguing in the first place. Tiffany sat frozen in place, undecided on whether to go or not. In the end, Tiffany’s rational side won over her feelings. It was not really Jessica’s fault, but Tiffany’s for wanting to help her friend that led to arguments with Wooyoung. Besides, she needed to get some air and a drive to the riverside did not seem like a bad way to get it.

 

Jessica returned to her dorm unsettled and distraught at that night’s events. She opened the front door to find several of her members crowding around one of the couches with their backs to her.

“What’s going on?” she asked. Sunny turned to look at her, revealing an ecstatic Yoona sitting on the couch.

“Donghae asked Yoona out!” announced Sooyoung. All the girls squealed causing Yoona’s smile to spread even wider.

 Jessica was nonplussed. However, it was not because Donghae asked Yoona out. Jessica and Donghae had been friends for many years. She sensed a change in Donghae’s behavior around Yoona months ago. He seemed to become hesitant around her. His awkward reaction to Yoona and Taecyeon’s little backstage interaction had confirmed Jessica’s thoughts. On the other hand, Jessica had no notion that Yoona shared his feelings.

“So what did you say?” asked Jessica casually.

“What did she say?” repeated Sooyoung in disbelief.

“Why, of course she

Please log in to read the full chapter