Just Friends

Love Charm: the value of affection beyond friendship
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: Probably my longest chapter yet. It took me a really long time to write it because I had trouble figuring out what I wanted to happen at this point so that I could bring Yoona into the storyline as planned.

If you haven't seen this episode of SGB, you can find it on youtube, just look up Star Golden Bell Idol Special.

Hope you enjoy, and please comment so that I can have some feedback ^_^

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.

Taecyeon and Chansung sat on the floor in an empty dance studio at JYPE. Earlier, their manager gave them a questionnaire from the Star Golden Bell script writers that they were required to return at least three days before the filming. The episode was an idol special where members of SHINee, Kara, SNSD and 2PM were guests.

“What do you envy about SHINee?” read Chansung. He tapped his pen against the side of his head as he pondered the question. He scoured his brain, but could not think of a single thing he envied them for. He wrote nothing in the space below the question. He looked up from his paper at Taecyeon, who he found scribbling away. Curious, Chansung craned his neck to peek at Taecyeon’s paper. “They’re pretty,” read Chansung aloud. He held his stomach as he fell backwards and laughed.

“What? They are!” exclaimed Taecyeon with an impish grin.

“So you’d rather be pretty than manly?” asked Chansung. He rather liked their beastly image as opposed to SHINee’s boyish image.

“I didn’t say that, but sometimes there are things I like that come with a pretty face,” replied Taecyeon. He sat with one leg tucked beneath him and the other bent so that his knee pressed against his chest as he scanned over the other questions.

“Like what?” asked Chansung. Taecyeon shifted so that he now sat on his knees with both legs tucked beneath him. He brought his hands to his chin and gave Chansung his best puss-n-boots imitation. He pouted his lips and widened his eyes as much as he could. A startled Chansung chortled awkwardly and pushed Taecyeon away, causing Taecyeon to fall on his side.

“See that? That’s why,” said Taecyeon, pointing at Chansung. “When pretty boys act cute, people go ‘aww’ or they giggle. When I act cute, I get hit or shoved and laughed at,” he complained.

“Well, unless you want to be shorter and less muscular, you are stuck with the non-cute look,” said Chansung mockingly.

“Aish, you don’t get it. You’re the maknae so you can get away with acting cute no matter how you look,” said Taecyeon. Chansung shrugged and they moved on to the next question.

Who do you like best (as your ideal) amongst SNSD and KARA? Refer to the list on the attached sheet.

Taecyeon and Chansung flipped to the last page in the packet and found a list of all the guests that day.

KARA                                                                                     SNSD

Kang Jiyoung                                                                        Seohyun

Goo Hara                                                                               Jung Jessica

Han Seungyeon                                                                    Choi Sooyoung

Park Gyuri                                                                              Im Yoona

Chansung wrote Yoona’s name without a second thought. Yoona was pretty close to his ideal type, someone with pretty eyes who spoke well. It also didn’t hurt that she loves food as much as he does.

“Who did you put?” asked Chansung.

“Yoona,” said Taecyeon. Red flags went up in Chansung’s mind.

“What? Why’d you pick Yoona?” he cried out.

“So cause you picked Yoona, I can’t?” said an indignant Taecyeon.

“No,” said Chansung uncertainly. “But aren’t you dating Jessica? Don’t tell me you’re becoming a player.” His mind was reeling at the thought of Taecyeon two-timing, and two girls who are friends nonetheless. He stared at Taecyeon in disbelief.

“Paboyah,” said Taecyeon. He rolled up the questionnaire and hit Chansung on the back of the head with it. “Did you just accuse your hyung of two-timing? I just think she’s pretty and fun to hang out with. What’s wrong with that? Besides, Jessica and I are just friends.”

“Yeah right,” said Chansung accusingly. “So you regularly go on secret rendezvous with all your female friends?”

“I did with Tiffany, didn’t I? And we are ONLY just friends. That is unless she and Wooyoung are only pretend-dating,” said Taecyeon sarcastically.

“You got me there. But when you were hanging out with Tiffany before, you didn’t make a point to call her every week and you weren’t as careful around her as you are with Jessica,” pointed out Chansung. Taecyeon scoffed.

“That’s just because Jessica is more sensitive than Tiffany. Why are you making such a big deal? Is it so hard to believe that Jessica and I are just friends? She even introduced me to Yoona,” said a now exasperated Taecyeon.

“Maybe you’re right,” said Chansung, resigned to Taecyeon’s insistence. “I just thought that you liked Jessica even though you claimed to only be friends all this time. If you were me, you’d think so too. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jessica misunderstands your attention towards her.”

“Trust me, she wouldn’t. We have even talked about her last boyfriend, who she is still in love with by the way,” said Taecyeon. “I can’t see her that way because we are so close. We confide things in each other and talk about each other’s problems and concerns. I know she is incapable of have feelings for anyone right now, let alone her friend.” Chansung nodded in understanding.

“Yeah, I get it,” said Chansung. He rested his head in his hand, and pretended to read the next question. “Do you like Yoona then?” he asked with his best devil-may-care attitude.

“I don’t know. She’s cool and she has this way of making me laugh no matter what mood I’m in,” said Taecyeon. He shrugged. “Like I said, she’s just fun to hang out with.”

“Well, just stay friends,” grumbled Chansung. “I already have to compete with Nichkhun. I don’t want to have to compete with you too.” Taecyeon laughed.

“Trust me, we are just friends,” insisted Taecyeon. Chansung grinned and turned his attention back to his questionnaire. Taecyeon watched his donsaeng for a moment with a glimmer of uncertainty and guilt in his eyes. He and Yoona were just friends, but he also couldn’t deny the growing attraction and attachment he had for her.

------------------

Jessica, Sooyoung, Seohyun, and Tiffany were in one of SNSD’s vans on their way to the KBS station to guest on SUJU’s Kiss the Radio after performing a mini-concert at a baseball game. Tiffany took the opportunity to take a nap while listening to her ipod. The others were forced to stay awake as they had to fill out the Star Golden Bell questionnaire. With their busy schedule promoting “Tell Me Your Wish,” their manager hadn’t found a long enough period of time between events for them to work on it. Now they were pressured to answer the entire survey in the hour long car ride so that one of their managers could run it over to the Star Golden Bell department while they were at the KBS station. Seohyun, as per usual, was being very objective and impersonal in her answers, much to Sooyoung’s annoyance.

“Yah,” said Sooyoung in exasperation. She swiped Seohyun’s paper from beneath her pencil, leaving a long graphite mark across the sheet. Seohyun pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes, but no outburst came from . Instead she responded politely.

“Unnie, could you please return my questionnaire?” requested Seohyun. Sooyoung did not hear Seohyun as she was busy showing Jessica Seohyun’s answers. Jessica chuckled.

“Joohyun, you can’t just write that you have no opinion for all the entries,” said Jessica.

  “Who do you like best amongst 2PM and SHINee?” read Sooyoung from the sheet. Seohyun made an attempt to grab the paper before Sooyoung could continue reading, but Sooyoung maneuvered her arm around Jessica’s seat in front of her, narrowly avoiding Seoohyun’s grasp. “I am not close with the members from either group,” read Sooyoung as she relinquished the paper to Seohyun.

“You don’t have to put someone’s name down, but don’t just leave it at that. Add something like who you would like to know better or something.” advised Tiffany. She woke from her nap due to the commotion. She stretched her arms and rotated her neck.

“Araseo,” said Seohyun. She thought for a moment and added that she would like to be friends with Key and Minho since they are the same age. Sooyoung sat up and leaned forward to look over Jessica’s shoulder at her answers.

“Your answers are too Taecyeon oriented,” commented Sooyoung.

“Well, he’s the one I know best,” whispered Jessica. Sooyoung shook her head.

“Then you shouldn’t be so blunt with your answers. It shows that you know Taecyeon really well. If people know how close you are, they may misunderstand your relationship,” said Sooyoung. Tiffany hushed her and pointed at their manager who was driving the van.

“What Sooyoung means is don’t write that you like Taecye

Please log in to read the full chapter