Common Interests

Love Charm: the value of affection beyond friendship
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

As SNSD watched Taecyeon’s  second episode of Mnet Scandal, Jessica could not help feeling a twinge of jealousy. It wasn’t because he was ‘dating’ the girl. She knew it was just a program and Taecyeon was having fun with it. The reason she was jealous was because she could see the difference in the way he treated Ji Hyun, his fake girlfriend, and her. He was shy with Ji Hyun. He would get nervous and do cute random imitations. Taecyeon was just comfortable with Jessica. Sure Jessica linked arms with him more when they walked around, but Taecyeon never reacted to it. He would just keep his hands in his pockets and continue strolling around. When Ji Hyun did it, you could see tension in his back. He felt something when his fake girlfriend did it, but nothing when Jessica did it. Before, Jessica had some hope that Taecyeon felt differently about her, but now she was more and more certain that her feelings were one sided.

“Wah!” exclaimed Yoona. That’s so awesome. I’m so jealous that he took her wakeboarding on a date. I’ve always wanted to try it. It looks like so much fun.”

That was another thing. Taecyeon was an active, fun guy. Jessica would have never had the guts to even try wakeboarding and would have probably refused if he had suggested it to her. People like Hyoyeon, Yoona and Yuri had more in common with him. Jessica leaned back in the couch and sighed. Tiffany who was sitting beside her turned to look at her.

“What’s up Sica?” asked Tiffany.

“Hmm? Oh, nothing. I just thought it must be nice to openly date like that,” answered Jessica.

“Yeah. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to date openly like that with oppa,” said Tiffany. She looked off into space all dreamy eyed. “It would be so romantic to be called up on stage like that and announce to everyone that we’re in love.” Jessica rolled her eyes at Tiffany who was lost in her imagination.

By the time the episode ended, Jessica had lost confidence and instead imagined what it would be like if she were in Ji Hyun’s place. Would he cook for her and proudly introduce her to s as well? Would she feel upset when the guys revealed Taecyeon’s type was the cutesy, but refined style? Jessica was lost in thought when Yoona jumped into her lap. Jessica felt the air knocked out of her.

“Yah! Are you trying to kill me?” said Jessica, struggling to breathe.

“Unnie…” said Yoona with a cutesy tone she often used on her unnies. Tiffany hit Yoona’s leg. She didn’t like Yoona’s aegyo. Yoona pouted. “Sica unnie. Tiffany said I should ask you to introduce me to Taecyeon,” said Yoona. Jessica raised an eyebrow at Tiffany.

“You meet with Taecyeon more than I do these days,” said Tiffany.

“But you talk to him more,” countered Jessica.

“I want to meet him unnie; not just talk to him on the phone,” said Yoona with a smile. Tiffany gave Jessica an understanding look. “I heard from Hyoyeon that you meet up with him around every two weeks. Take me with you, please.”

“Why do you want to meet him all of a sudden?” asked Jessica.

“He just seems like someone fun that I’d get along with well. Besides he’s friends my unnies, so he must be a good guy,” said Yoona. “Plus I’m so busy with dramas outside of SNSD promotions. I don’t have the time or leisure to build friendships on my own. Please unnie…”

“Araseo. I’ll give him a call and see if he’s free,” said Jessica.

Jessica went to her room and closed the door behind her. She scrolled through her phone’s address book and stopped on Taecyeon’s number, but could bring herself to hit ‘dial’. She only met with Taecyeon once or twice a month. She didn’t want to share their time. Then again she hasn’t seen Taecyeon since their trip to the zoo, where she realized her feelings. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea to bring Yoona along in case Jessica became awkward. She hit dial and waited nervously for him to answer.

“Yoboseyo?” he said. Jessica felt shivers creep down her arms at the sound of his deep voice. Her breath caught in her chest.

“Yoboseyo? Nunsongi?” said Taecyeon. He called her by her nickname. He must be at JYPE, thought Jessica.

“Ah, ye… Taecyeon-ah,” said Jessica. She cleared and tried to sound normal. “I watched the end of your Mnet Scandal with the girls today. I’m sorry it didn’t work out with Ji Hyun shi. You looked really compatible together.” What was she saying? Was she trying to encourage him to date other people?

“Yeah, she was a great woman and we had a lot in common,” he said with a tone of regret. “I wish I had more time to get to know her better.” Jessica winced at the sound of his sigh.

“You sound like you regret not giving her your number,” commented Jessica.

“I don’t regret it. With the busy schedules we idols have, how could I be the boyfriend she deserves? I would constantly be juggling between her and work,” said Taecyeon. “It’s not like with Wooyoung and Tiffany. They may only get to go on a date once or twice a week, but they get to see each other sometimes because of work. I felt guilty during that week with Ji Hyun because she had all this free time where I couldn’t be with her.” Jessica bit her lip. He seriously thought about what it would be like to date Ji Hyun. What would he think if he imagined that scenario with her? They had a prime example with Tiffany and Wooyoung who were managing to make it work.

“You sound down. I don’t know if it’s the right time to ask, but do you want to meet up for dukbokki sometime this week? Actually Yoona wants me to introduce you two,” said Jessica.

“Yeah, why not? I know a great 24h place. I have dinner with the guys and then dance practice until 1 AM tonight. Do you want to meet at 2 AM?” he asked. Jessica hesitated. She hadn’t rested much this week because of several mini concerts. She would have fallen asleep earlier if Taecyeon’s Mnet Scandal w

Please log in to read the full chapter