Unwelcome Change

Love Charm: the value of affection beyond friendship
Please log in to read the full chapter

A/N: Made it to Winter Break! Here's a short chapter for you all.

.~*~.

Taecyeon quietly sipped his drink as he watched in disbelief. Jessica was openly conversing and joking around with his 2PM members. Who was this girl? Where was the shy Jessica who is reserved around guys she did not know well? After handing him the honey water, she hardly acknowledged his presence at all. Even the members acted like she was a friend who made frequent visits to their dorm. What happened to cause her to change so much? As he thought about it, he reasoned that he was happy she was opening up and getting along with his friends, but he could not shake a sense of unease. The air he breathed felt heavy. Taecyeon held his breath after each gulp. After some time, he concluded that he was simply not used to this Jessica. Taecyeon noticed that she seemed most at ease with Nichkhun. He sorted through his memories and could not recall any notable interaction between them before. Nichkhun was naturally warm and friendly to everyone, especially girls, so Taecyeon wasn’t too surprised that they would get along. However, Jessica was responding with a comfort and ease that she had shown him only months after getting to know each other. Taecyeon’s chest tightened and he gripped his glass a little tighter. Suddenly he felt angry, and a little hurt. It may have been self-centered of him, but he had thought his relationship with Jessica was special somehow. That he was someone special to her. He regarded her as a special friend. He laughed disdainfully at himself. He had been humbled.

Taecyeon became more unnerved as he observed Jessica and Nichkhun speak in hushed tones and smile at each other as if they shared a secret. Feeling like an idiot just standing around watching, Taecyeon scoffed at himself and looked for something to occupy his attention in the kitchen. He settled on cleaning the dishes when he felt the warm touch of a small hand take hold of his own.

“What are you laughing about all by yourself?” asked Jessica rhetorically. She tilted her head and looked up at him innocently with a slight grin on her lips. He never noticed how clear and pure her eyes were. He could read her heart through her eyes as they gazed into his. They revealed a caring yet withdrawn heart, as if she was holding something back. With just a tug on his hand, his thoughts vanished and he followed her compliantly to sit at the table. She set down a bowl of soup in from of him and a spoon in his hand.

“Eat,” she ordered. Taecyeon had barely swallowed a mouthful when Jessica’s attention was taken away again. An SNSD commercial had come on and the guys called her over to see.

 Taecyeon rolled his eyes. He dropped the spoon in the bowl and leaned back against his chair. Jessica was HIS friend. She was here to see HIM. So when would HE get to spend time with her? It belatedly dawned upon him that he was jealous. He didn’t like how his friend had suddenly become their friend and how he now needed to share her. He was acting like a jerk.

“Shake it off,” he muttered to himself as he rolled his head from shoulder to shoulder. Taecyeon swallowed another spoonful of soup, but had no appetite. He absentmindedly swirled his spoon aroun

Please log in to read the full chapter