Shining Distraction

Fool's Gold

Kahi tugged Woobin's arm. "Those girls are fighting over your brother," she laughed. Woobin looked towards the quad to find Jongsuk between the two being pulled left and right. Scratching his temple, and tossing the card to the foreign looking woman, he left her and her broken mobile phone to save his brother. She was not of importance  to him, the man had other obligations. She turned her attention to the noise and attempted to figure out the reason behind it from where she stood.

Woobin grabbed Jongsuk from between the women and ordered Kahi to deal with the rest. "How many times have I told you to stay away from women who only want you for what your worth is in gold and not your intelligence or personality?"

"Actually I think the taller one likes me because I'm really good looking, hyung." Jongsuk laughed at his own honest rebuttle. Woobin gave him a stare down, and Jongsuk winked back. In the meantime, Bella was taking snapshots of the navy Ferrari F12 parked at the front of the welcome center. Her phone shutdown immediately, most likely in its last breath since the drop.

“I didn’t think you’d return,” Hyomin snarled, backed by her minions in matching headbands and thigh high socks.

Bella glared back at her, then gave her a smile, her lips curving upward for only a moment. “I’m sorry, did I make your day worse knowing I am breathing the same air as you?” Hyomin nodded in response to Bella’s sarcastic remark. “Good, then I’m glad to be back.”

“Seriously, you would think the girl would understand that she has no place amongst the elites.” She raised her voice directing what she said to her girlfriends standing with her with the same stuck up face.

Bella pocketed her broken phone and marched to stand in front of Hyomin, causing the shorter woman to step back some. The 5’10” Bella towered over her despite the heels the snootty woman was wearing. “What makes you think I want to be among people like you?”

“Oh that’s right. With mommy and daddy gone you found yourself a rich benefactor, didn’t you?” Bella grabbed Hyomin's collar, causing screams from her girls. 

“How low can you go to bring up my dead parents? Elite or not, you should learn some manners.” Shinhye pulled back Bella before she could connect her fist to Hyomin's face. She was steamed and it seemed the first day back was a coninuation from the last day of middle school four years ago at SAIS. Back then, Hyomin egged Bella on about being an outcast. Her blue eyes and obvious western features drew a lot of attention from many, and the attention away from Hyomin. The socialite disliked it the most and made it her personal mission to make Bella’s life hell.

“Why are you here anyway? Of all the schools you could go to, it has to be mine!” Hyomin screamed out like a child with a temper tantrum. 

At that moment, something came over Bella. Never had she needed to lie about who she was or felt obligated to defend herself from the likes of people like Hyomin. But this time she was compelled to give her a slap on the face, without actually touching her. Bella held the business card she received a half hour ago between her fingers, causing a concerned look in Hyomin's face and her minions. “What is that?” Shinhye asked, taking the card from her good friend’s hand and read it aloud. “Kim Woo Bin, Vice President of Jeguk Incorporated. Wait a minute, THE Kim Woo Bin? Kim Jongsuk’s brother, Kim Woo Bin? He, you, together?” Shinhye and Hyosung did all the work.  With their heightened imagination combined with curiousity, they planted the seed that caused Hyomin to flip her socket. Bella remained quiet. She didn’t deny it nor confirm it, and allowed the idea to brew in Hyomin's and her minions’ minds. 

A minute later, Woobin and Jongsuk approached his car and the gathering girls near it. The girls straightened up their appearance and bowed politely at the two siblings. Woobin pointed at Bella, the young foreigner thought her white lie would come crumbling down, the countdown began in her head. 3, 2, … “Don’t forget to call me later, I’ll get you a new phone.” With that, the fuse burned out and everyone present watched Jongsuk head to the main building of the academy while Woobin drove off in his Ferrari.

...

The rumor spread like wildfire and luckily for Bella, Jongsuk was oblivious to it. Too busy with his game on the phone or chatting with the teacher assistants in the academy, the senior boy entertained himself, did as he pleased, and Bella grew jealous of his care free nature. She was always on guard, whether it be watching out for Hyomin and her minions or another group of girls or boys who felt she didn’t deserve to be wearing the uniform of such a prestigious school. She had the typical life of a a semi-lowly first female lead of a Korean drama, except she wasn’t Korean. She unlocked the chain of her bike she left the other day when it was warmer, and kicked at the flat tire. It was fine when she checked it that morning. Most likely caused by Hyomin as she watched her giggling as they drove away in her BMW. Bella pushed her bike to the nearest gasoline station and pumped it with the right amount of air. Without a phone, she was not able to call the VP of Jeguk Incorporated about her broken mobile phone the VP said he’d replace. She rode to the enterance of the tall tower housing the corporation, the address stated on the card. Chaining up her bike near the entrance, Bella approached the reception desk asking to meet the Vice President. She was greeted with a laugh, then dismissed with a wave of her hand. Finding a phone nearby, she used her last few coins to make a phone call. 

“Ah, yes, um, may I speak to Mr. Kim Woobin, please…Eh? Oh, ah, he told me to call this number regarding the phone that I, we, um, that broke earlier today.” The haughty executive assistant of Mr. Kim wouldn’t budge. “It’s important that I get the phone fixed, my benefactor doesn’t know where I’ll be staying and …” She hung up, leaving Bella at a loss. The only thing she could do was to wait.

...

Meanwhile, in the Kim household. “What do you mean you don’t know where she is? Use the phone to track her like you always do!” The news about his friend’s missing daughter caused commotion in his home office. Se Ah asked her husband to calm down. The poor man thought the worse. “What if someone kidnapped her. Have you seen her, Se Ah? What if they lured her somewhere and killed her, or sold her to someone?” Jongsuk laughed at his father’s imagination, he watched too many Liam Neeson movies. The young boy kicked his legs on the sofa, waiting for their family meeting to begin. “Don’t just lay there! Find her!” He kicked his son’s feet and threw his phone at him with a photo of Bella on the screen. Jongsuk stared at the photo of the foreign girl he recognized from school that morning.

“Abeoji, this is my classmate.” He held the phone out to his father.

“We know, son, we made sure she was at Jeguk High for a reason.” He was pacing back and forth waiting for any news about her whereabouts. 

“Who is she? Why is she so important?”  With Jongsuk's curiousity raised, Se Ah sat down and tried to explain things to her youngest son. “So I have a y foreign sister?” A couch pillow was thrown at the boy’s face courtesy of the elder Kim. “Abeoji, Woobin met her. He gave her his card after breaking her phone. She may be with Woobin now.”

His father dialed his brother’s number, and asked if a girl named Isabella was with him. “I don’t know an Isabella father. I’m heading to the house already, I’ll be home very soon.” He had a headache from the meeting. Woobin oversaw a marketing strategy the company would hope bring attention from an international audience. The new models for the photoshoot for the advert weren’t approved by the board. They wanted their product to appeal to an international market, and having only Asian models wouldn't suffice. Woobin rode down the escalator, backpack over his shoulders he loosened up the notch of his tie and ed the first two buttons of his shirt.

“I need to see him though, he said he would replace my phone.” A young woman about Jongsuk’s age was arguing with a couple security guards. She managed to run past them, aiming her sights for the escalator which would lead to the VP’s office. Instead, the girl bumped into the said VP and fell on her back, back against the cold marble floor. She blinked a few times, staring at the tall glass ceiling, and did not move until the lobby area stopped spinning. While the security guards asked her to get up, a familiar voice dismissed the guards. A voice which projected a sound that caused her body to have goosebumps. Shivering from his plea to rise, Bella shook off the shock, and looked at the owner of the voice giving him a sheepish smile. “Hello~” He was stunning. A shining distraction to say the very least, and she couldn't help but continue to stare at his perfection. Lips, nose, eyes, eye brows...

“You’re the student from earlier. Why didn’t you call to tell me you’re here?” His voice was stern and Bella wasn’t sure if she should reply or if she should bow down to apologize for the disruption. 

“Your assistant didn’t believe me and wouldn’t let me in to see you. It took me a while to make it from that area to here. I never made it out of the lobby,” she chuckled dryly. The man didn’t seem to like to smile as his face didn’t show any amusement to what she said. Instead, he walked past her and called to follow him out. She ran over to him, walking a couple steps behind. A chill in the night air made her teeth rattle. Her eyes met with the Vice President’s, annoyance plastered on his face. “I can come another day if you need to be somewhere.” 

Tires screeched, a car stopped in front of them and Hyomin came out with her arms folded across her chest. She gave a smile to Woobin. “Oppa, do you need a ride?” Her gaze fell to the left of her oppa and fell open. Bella gave her a slight smirk. This was beginning to be fun. That is, so long as Hyomin doesn’t ask Woobin for the truth.

“Why would I ride with you when I have my own car? Shouldn’t you be doing your homework?” Nice. Bella thought.

Hyomin whined, “Oppa, stop treating me like a baby. I’m coming over this weekend to hangout with Jongsuk. Will you be there?” She ignored Bella who stood next to Woobin with a clear smirk on her face.

“Does he know you are hanging out with him or are you inviting yourself again?” With Woobin’s straightforward question, came a chuckle from Bella. Reminding the heir he had business to attend to, he dismissed the woman and pointed to his car parked close. “Let’s go, I have to get home soon.”

How fortunate things have become for Bella. The little things Woobin said unknowingly made it seem like they were truly a couple. Hyomin's friends were in the car taking snapshots of the said “couple.” 

The phones were taking care of, but Bella’s contacts had all disappeared. She assumed the school should have the contact information of her benefactor so she didn’t worry too much about that anymore. “Thank you, Woobin-ssi.” She bowed politely and made her way back to Jeguk's building where her bike was parked. She knew it would all come crumbling down anyway, and she would face the wrath once the truth was revealed, the fact that she was marrying an heir was way too far-fetched anyway. It had a good eight hour run.

A navy Ferrari crossed her path, and parked in front of her, causing her to stop. The window went down and Woobin’s voice called out her name. "Isabella Park?” Bella bent down to peek through the open window. 

“Woobin-ssi?” 

“Are you Isabella Park?” Bella nodded at his question, giving him a soft smile. The man got out of the car and showed a site on his screen. “Am I engaged to you?” His voice was angry, and up to date comments about Kim Woobin and Isabella Park from netizens blew up. “Did you plan to run into me? To break your phone? To spend the evening in search for one? What are you? What rival company are you from?” He moved from the driver's seat to in front of her, grabbing her wrist and squeezing it, scaring the young woman. “Tell me the truth!"

“Yah! What are you doing?” Bella’s eyes filled with tears, terrified at what the stronger male would do to her. But she wiped it with her sleeve and mustered enough energy to slap the heir across the face causing him to let go of her. The voice of another gave her a reprieve. Ji Chang Wook. “Is this your fiancée, cousin?”