Your Fool's Gold

Fool's Gold

The only way out of the situation was to take Kahi's offer. When she got home, she went straight to her room, skipping dinner and showering early. That weekend was the engagement party. She stood in her navy dress with Mrs. Kim, greeting family, friends, and business colleagues. Bella was alone most of the time, she watched Woobin stand with friends and Kahi of course. Two hours passed, and she remained at the table people watching. Mainly her fiance. He was a different person with Kahi, and she felt guilty again for being in the way of their possible romance. Bella excused herself and entered her room. She sent a message to Kahi:

[sms: Witch] I'm in. I want to leave ASAP.

She watched Kahi look at her phone and smile. Bella knew it was for the best.

Another week passed and Bella knew she couldn't take anything but whatever was in her book bag. Somehow Kahi was able to hide her transfer papers from the headmaster, Woobin's mom, and the foreign school in Jeju confirmed her acceptance and transcript. "Here's your plane ticket. These are keys to the villa you will be staying in. I think you'll love it. And...thanks for this." There was some sincerity in her voice, and Bella smiled back at her. She took all the money from her savings, she had an account under Kahi's name and a debit card which allowed her to not be tracked by Woobin, that is if he would actually track her. Bella left a letter to Woobin and another to the Kim family, thanking them for their kindness and apologizing for leaving. She then left a video confession about the rumor and how she forced Woobin to pretend to be her fiance. She knew if they broke up just because, it would be problematic for Woobin. But since she was to blame for being a crazy woman, all should be well.

....

Two months passed and Bella found a new life in Jeju. Graduation was fast approaching. She made some friends, and stayed in contact with Shinhye and Hyosung. Bella hoped they wouldn't let anyone know about her whereabouts.

....

Woobin sat on Bella's bed, in her empty room, with the letter in his hand. He read it a couple times the first week she left, and a few more times throughout the past two months wondering where she disappeared to. Her closet door was wide open, filled with her clothes. She didn't take much with her. Not even the jewelry that he bought to show off to her classmates. Play jewelry was what she called it, though they were real, she knew it was an act with an extravegant wardrobe to play his fiancee. Woobin replayed the video of her confession. It was aired in all the major broadcasting stations, it made Woobin the hottest bachelor in Seoul and also gained him a reputation as a victim of a money hungry foreigner. He hated it to say the least. He wasn't the victim. They were both playing a part. They turned it on for everyone they met. 

[ Two Months Ago at the Engagement Party in Front of Cameras ]

Woobin s his arm around Bella's waist and pulled her close as the cameras kept flashing. He gave them a smug grin. His long time friends from university came to the engagement and they didn't know about the contract. For all they knew, Woobin was truly getting married. The reason for his confident smile was the reactions from his friends at first sight of his fiancee. They gawked at her, finding her to be extremely beautiful. Wearing the dress he chose for her, and having her hair and makeup done the way he wanted, she was hard to resist and pleasing to the eyes. He stood with her that one time, and throughout most of the night he socialized with his friends leaving her be. She truly made a great impression, fooling everyone at the party.

...

There was emptiness inside his heart for some reason. It was the kind of emptiness he's never felt before. The moment he saw the letter on his nightstand, his heart actually sank. Kahi attempted to make him feel better. He did not tell anyone about how he felt, he kept an indifference through it all, making it seem like he was accepting of Bella's abrupt departure. Kahi's hands ran through his hair and Woobin flinched. "Don't do that." He stood up from Bella's bed and folded the letter, putting it back in his wallet and pocketing his phone. "How long have you been here?" He urged her to get off the bed then walked to his side of the room. He needed to be alone. "You should leave. I'll call you tomorrow."

He gestured towards the door, signaling her to leave without making any trouble and proceeded to his side of the room, across the bathroom and onto his bed. He laid there looking up at the ceiling, thinking, thinking way too much of the woman he let walk into his pristine life. Though she tried to leave peacefully, the aftermath caused his thoughts to be rather chaotic for some reason. It was always like that with Isabella. changes in his mindset, changes in his mood, his acts of sympathy and such were a result of "some odd reason" he could never understand because he wasn't used to any of it. He scrolled through his phone for a few minutes and finally finding what he was searching for. A photo of her he captured when she was near the pool in the center of the courtyard. She had her nightgown on, her robe loosely worn around her and playfully dipping her feet into the water. She looked so innocent. How she fabricated a rumor of them being engaged before meeting for the first time shocked the heir. She did it to save face, he knew that. Girls bullying her and used his name as a shield. Why he blew up about that was beyond him now. There were things he did then he would have done differently, especially knowing her kind personality. Or were these wandering thoughts regarding his faux fiancee him falling for her act? The heir had fallen for her somewhat. He stared at the photo and spoke to the woman's face, "I've fallen for your fool's gold."