Why Can't You Look at Me

Fool's Gold

Woobin thought she saw a tear run down her face before she turned around and walked through the glass doors leading to her bedroom. It closed slightly and he moved to it in order to secure the door closed. He heard her. The sobs on the other side of the door. He was disgusted with himself. The words he said to her, the way he treated her, for the first time he actually felt remorse. During the first three weeks she returned, he battled with his conscience. She pulled at his heartstrings and it frustrated him. He was determined to not fall for the girl. She was unpredictable. Although she was the key to landing him on the throne at Empire Inc. and stop his cousin from his attempt at it, he also knew she could ruin it for him if she did not follow through with their contractual agreement. He already heard how she felt about him. The woman, like others before her, had fallen for him.

He could see how hard she tried to avoid eye contact. He found it cute. Sometimes. That is, before he realized he was an idiot for having any sort of feelings for a woman like her. Isabella Park will be his wife, contractually, but she will never have his heart. He believed after the five years, there will be someone of better pedigree. Granted, Woobin hadn't much thought about children, a wife, and family prior to the contract and prior to the foreigner entering his life accidentally. However seeing that it's part of the gig as heir to Empire Inc, he needed to have an heir of his own to groom. At first, when he was in Jeju, he thought she had a spell on him. One he never felt before her. But having her in the estate, seeing the stark contrast of her personality to the high pedigree women he's encountered throughout his life, she was really nothing special. And so, Kim Woobin, once again, talked himself out of having any sort of feelings for the girl. Yet, there he was, frozen in front of her door. Listening to her sobs. Tears he caused his future wife to have.

He opened the door, without much thought, a rarity. He took a step inside her room and watched her on the floor crying. She didn't notice him, did not even hear him step in. She continued to sob loudly as if no one else would ever hear, as if slightly shutting the glass door would be enough to cover her sobs. He reached out for her and hesitated. She called him many times as the world's only living heart donor due to his lack of feelings and lack of empathy towards any person. He straightened his back while continuing to stare down at her. The words of apology wasn't something said by Kim Woobin. The sobs stopped and he was staring back at the woman's red, tear-filled eyes. Her long eye lashes noticeable as she blinked up at him. She slowly stood up, wiping her tears. She didn't expect anything from him. Definitely not expecting any sympathy. She wasn't even shocked to see him watching her without a word to say or a handkerchief to offer. It was as expected from Kim Woobin. Her face didn't look anymore disappointed in his lack of words or actions towards a crying woman, his crying fiancee. She untied her robe and ignored him. Underneath she wore a silk tank and , something from the expensive wardrobe he purchased for her back when she first moved in.

Woobin's eyes fixed on her curves. She was truly beautiful. y even. Any man would want her as his wife, he believed that, but would never admit it out loud. He could barely admit it to himself secretly. He watched her, brushing her hair one last time before opening the blankets for her to lay underneath. Woobin moved towards her and her bed. Like a magnet. His breathing increased. The sight of her full bosom under the tank remained in his mind as he reached for the blanket, helping her to bed. She laid on her side, her back turned to him, and her shoulders moving slightly. Her sobs continued. Most likely soaking the pillow she laid her head on. She left her blanket laying halfway over her, and not bothering to turn off the lights in her bedroom. She didn't care that he watched her crying. She figured he would not care if it was because of the words he said, or the fact that she would be living a lie for five years. Bella was aware of what he knew. Bella was aware he knew why she was crying. He knew she fell in love with him before she left Seoul and moved to Jeju, he knew she continued to love him despite her knowing he would never reciprocate, and he knew she signed the contract that promised five years of her life. The same contract she signed with the last line stating she would not fall in love with Kim Woobin in those five years.

He pulled the covers over her shaking shoulders. Placed the box of tissues from her nightstand to the bed so she can easily reach for it, and walked away.

The next morning Woobin woke up from a rare dream. She left him. Again. He walked through their bathroom and entered her room. Her bed was empty. A slight panic filled him. He opened her armoire. When she left the first time it was filled, she hadn't taken anything. She opened her sock drawer. The contract was laying inside. He exited her room and went to the kitchen. He found her being introduced to a woman around his age. She was stunning, to say the least. Disappointed in himself of such thoughts, he slowly reprimanded his thoughts. Yes, he's a grown male who should have feelings of attraction towards the opposite , however, it cannot be a distraction and it has been occurring a lot lately. Case in point, the blue eyed fiancee of his and her tank and wearing sleepwear. "Father?" He bowed to his dad who introduced him to a long time friend, a president of a fashion magazine. She smiled and introduced her eldest and youngest daughters to Woobin and Jongsuk. He watched Isabella step aside and sit next to his mom. He noticed his mom had a nervous look on her face.

Woobin couldn't keep his eyes off of the women. Three of them were very beautiful, representing their generation well. They were world and intelligent about the business affairs on top of the fashion industry that they are a part of. The youngest was Jongsuk's age and couldn't keep her eyes off of his brother. Jongsuk ate his food happily and could care less about the attention from the sophisticated women before them. At the table he again saw the stark difference between his future wife and the stylish women. The eldest, two years younger than Woobin, continued to make eye contact with him across the table. Bella pretended not to notice. A part of her hoped the woman and Woobin would hit it off, the other part, the more violent part of her, was extremely jealous.

In the bathroom, after breakfast, Bella finished showering and slightly towel dried her hair. She looked at herself in the mirror and sighed heavily. She knew Woobin fancied Suzy. Her heightened imagination pictured the two of them running away prior to the wedding day. Runaway groom. Lost in her reverie, Woobin walked in accidentally. She never bothered to lock his door to the bathroom, believing fully he had no attraction to her anyway. She stood with a towel wrapped around her, staring at her reflection, deep in thought. He often found her standing, staring into space. They made eye contact. Her eyes staring at his reflection. "Why can't you look at me like that?" she accidentally asks out loud. Her eyes widen, and she covered her lips. She scrambled around for a few seconds, gathering her things and rushing into her bedroom. Woobin followed and stopped the door from closing behind her.

"What are you saying?" he confronted her while she was still clad in her towel. He was met with a 'nothing' as her response, followed by a 'forget it.' "Are you jealous? It's part of the contract, you know? I can't have relations with another woman as long as it's kept secret within the estate."

"What a stupid stipulation," she muttered under her breath.

"Ah. You are jealous. How amusing." He followed with a cocky smirk. Bella stared back at him as he smiled to himself. In her thoughts she admitted to him she was jealous. Why couldn't Woobin look at her the way he stared at Suzy? He admired her words and her beauty. He respected her opinions and talents. She was in pins and needles, desiring to be admired by him in the same light.

"Even if I was standing in front of you, I know you'd never look at me the way you looked at her. It's something I have come to terms with." She unwrapped her towel bravely, allowing it to fall on the floor before her as she moved to the large walk-in closet to change into another one of her presentable good wife outfit. Woobin blinked a few times, tried to not be bothered by her ness. His eyes followed her into the closet. He smiled widely when she disappeared from his sight. Another arrogant smirk appeared on his face.

"Damn babe. My future wife is not bad at all." He , but at the same time honestly thought Isabella was more attractive than Suzy. However, she didn't have the understanding of world affairs as the woman he met in the morning. To him, it was even more attractive, and more fitting for a future wife. His thoughts and feelings were all over the place. One moment he's tucking her into bed, the next moment he worried she left him, another moment he was thinking of the new girl who would be living in the estate for the month. He was about to leave Bella's room when she reappeared fully dressed, and with a suggestion.

"Make her your wife." Woobin paused, staring back at her with disbelief. How badly did this woman want to be out of his life? When most woman would die for an opportunity to be with him or Jongsuk. He snorted back at her.

"Stop acting like you don't want to be my wife." He walked away, pissed. Bella didn't bother to explain. He wouldn't listen to her anyway. Again, the small part of her hoped Suzy and Woobin would get along, and possibly change the outcome of the contract Bella had with him. Yet, a big part of her, wished for her to go away. Even though Woobin wouldn't truly love her back, pretending to love her in front of the public was close enough for the pathetic, soon-to-be Mrs. Kim Woobin.