Rays on the Waves

Fool's Gold

It was the slowest weekend ever. Bella gathered most of her belongings from her suite in Hanseong tower and movers came to bring them to the Kim estate. She sat on the comfortable king size bed with the gold and white bedding. Staring at the finely decored bedroom, she couldn't help but feel like she was in a castle. Everything about the estate was luxurious and high end: the room, the hallways, the many elaborate rooms and indoor and outdoor courtyards; the life she was stepping into was lavish. She was also nervous, having no idea how to keep her emotions contained when she stood next to the prince of the castle. He did things to her heart that no other had ever done before. She wasn't certain if it was anxiousness, trepidation, or a brewing crush. He was handsome, stoic, and powerful. His voice resonated through her body when he spoke to her the one sentence a day reminders of playing the act. But then when he did converse with her longer than five seconds it was mostly made of harsh criticism, and she was reminded why he was the world's only living heart donor.

The contract was long, with multiple pages in fine print. Do's and don'ts were established in a trail of demands and reminders made by Kim Woobin himself. Her lone addition was the coffee shop/bookstore. Her fiance believed it was necesary for her to attend university so Bella had no choice. She liked it secretly. She decided to soak up what the contract and her current situation could muster. If Jeguk wanted to pay for her education, so be it. If the heir of Jeguk wanted her to act the part, so be it. She would act the part well in front of the audience, she would do so with the determination of knowing her future, that is, after the marriage remains for five years, was set to be comfortable. 

It wasn't easy though. Bella realized there were many challenges when one negotiates with Kim Woobin. She sat poolside of the indoor courtyard. The pool inside was heated and warmed the water to the perfect temperature. The courtyard was her solace. Living next to her fake fiance and sharing the grand bathroom with him became a little troublesome for our heroine, so she hid in the courtyard until he fell aslepe. Family came to pay their respects for the ensuing engagement. The announcement will be made soon, they would inform family and friends at dinner. Bella sat politely next to her husband, saying very little while dressed impecibly by the promised high society wardrobe. She closed her eyes while laying on the sunbed, she looked up at the glass ceiling where the rays of the sun penetrated in and warmed up her body underneath the one-piece Speedo swimsuit she wore. Giggles were heard to her left and she lifted her sunglasses to see who it was. The secretary for the dean of students at the academy was walking next to Woobin with her turqouise bikini, laughing at whatever the man said. They seemed comfortable with each other to say the least. "Nice bathing suit, I can't believe I am marrying you," Woobin teased Bella when they approached her.

Kahi lightly smacked him and whispered for him to be nice. "Are the students in the school bothering you about all this?" It seemed Kahi and some of Woobin's close friends knew about the fake marriage. One of the stipulations in the contract was for Woobin to freely see other woman in private, away from paparazzi and of course, board members.

Bella responded as nicely as she could. "They always bother me, I've gotten used to it." Meanwhile, standing atop the balcony from the master bedroom suite was the headmaster of the academy, Woobin's mother, SeAh. She watched Bella in her ratty one-piece being poked fun at by her rude son. She felt awful for the girl's situation. Her husband believed she could change her son's demeanor, but how? When Woobin didn't even think of her as a human let alone a woman. She saw the hurt in Bella's eyes before she put her glasses back on to mask it. SeAh went to the courtyard clutching her purse and greeting her eldest and his woman friend. "Isabella, would you care to join me, I have an errand to run?" Bella obliged. She wanted to get as far away from Woobin and Kahi. She excused herself to change and met SeAh at the front of the house by her Range Rover. They bonded a little with some shopping and cake pops. On their way home, Bella thanked her for the clothes.

"I didn't need clothes though, I wear a uniform to school everyday, remember?" She laughed dryly. Then lowered her head shyly. The headmaster had always been kind to Bella, and she understood now that it was because of her friendship with Bella's parents. "It's not that I don't find your son handsome, he is very handsome, but his personality is..." She hesitated in her reply to SeAh's inquiry regarding Bella's thoughts on Woobin. The elder assured her it would be okay to speak freely. "He treats people like a pawn, an unnecessary, sacrificial chess piece. I was thinking, why me? Why couldn't you just let the rumor die down, or tell the board that it was a fake and I was the reason for the rumor? Both of your sons are bachelors that many women would like to meet." She was rambling a little, her train of thought lost in her own confusion of the enigma that was Kim Woobin.

"My husband firmly believes you could help change Woobin. Help him be kind again, because your heart is so pure. Sometimes I wonder if we are being selfish." SeAh held on to Bella's hands. "We want to take care of you, we owe so much to your family. Would it have been easier if we continued to simply be your benefactor? Sure. But I believe in fate. I believe that the coincidence between you and my son purposefully caused you two to cross paths and change each other's lives." SeAh saw the frustrations growing in her son's eyes when Bella spoke, and his eyes showed sympathy towards her family history; both were emotions he rarely revealed. He was testing her fervor as well, and Bella's patience annoyed him. She followed him and defied him at the same time. Usually indifferent, usually emotionless, Woobin found himself flustered and annoyed. Here was a woman who wanted nothing in return but a measly coffee shop. The women Woobin brought home weren't many, but those he did didn't have what Bella had, innocence. She hoped her son would protect that innocence.

...

Kim Woobin was faced with a dilemma, forced upon him by a bold young woman. It came at an opportune time, and he knew it. He looked at the foreigner and felt no love for her, not even an inkling. To him, the contract would be safe. The risk factor would be if he had any attraction to her and he didn't. He and Kahi were having dinner, still in their bathing suits after a lazy Sunday afternoon. Bella and his mother arrived, their laughter echoing through the halls and spilling into the courtyard where they were having their dinner. He pinched the bridge of his nose. His entire family adored the woman, and he just didn't get it.

"So you two share a bathroom even?" Kahi asked, shocked, then her lips formed a pout. "I don't like that, I thought I would be the one and only who could see you ?"

"Who says she will see me ?" Woobin snapped back, his voice stern. "She wishes she could see me shirtless let alone in my birthday suit." The two eventually laughed at the conversation they were having. "Trust me, I have no desire towards her whatsoever. I prefer Asian women anyway." He didn't fancy Kahi though except she was very y in the two-piece she wore. The woman gave a satisfied smile when he said he preferred anyone but the foreigner.

...

She sat outside, on the shared balcony and hoped Woobin wouldn't come out. She stared at the pool below. The sun was slowly setting. Kahi and Woobin were chatting away, now fully dressed and saying their goodbyes. "It's difficult, isn't it?" Jongsuk walked into the balcony with the bright smile he often wore. "I knocked at your door for a while and no one answered. I hope it's okay that I let myself in." Bella smiled back and nodded. When Bella first learned to surf she was scared of the large waves, but the sun's rays reflecting against the water caused her to appreciate the beauty of the oceans movements. If Woobin were the waves, Jongsuk were the rays on the waves. He had the ability to calm Bella down when anxious, and when she didn't think she could stand another day with Woobin, he gave her the kindest pep talk. "He isn't so bad. He is an acquired taste for sure. My brother, he's loyal and a natural protector. You'll learn to see the good sides. Though, he doesn't show it often, it's there, I promise." Bella leaned against the stoned railing and smiled. She felt comfortable around Jongsuk, he was surely a people person.

"How come you aren't the heir to Jeguk?"

"I am, it's just that hyung is older and better than I will ever be at running the company. But I'll find my place, maybe do the marketing. Or the modeling." He placed a finger under his chin and posed, causing a louder laugh from Bella. Woobin looked up at the balcony and saw his brother with his contracted fiancee.

"They get along really well. Jongsuk always had the way with ladies," Kahi stated as she put her coat on. "Maybe you should push those two together? Your parents seem to be so adamant at making her your wife and be an official part of the family. I don't feel the five year contract will be good enough for them."

"That's a stupid idea. She's already my fiancee. If she leaves me to be with my brother that's way too scandalous." He walked Kahi out. "Do me a favor and don't talk to me about my personal business." Kahi frowned as she got inside her car. Woobin could be harsh, but she loved him regardless. To her, he was the perfect man and the man she'd marry. If only she could find a way to get rid of the foreigner, and do so, without harming her chances with Woobin and the family.

...

"Aren't you two cute?" Woobin said sarcastically as he walked towards his brother and Bella. "I didn't know you two were close friends."

Bella immediately stopped laughing and her mood dropped down a lot. She had no desire to fight with him every time they had an exchange of words, so she excused herself. "He was only saying goodnight." She turned to Jongsuk and smiled.

"What a long goodnight, Jongsukkie." The protective nature of his brother wasn't a surprise to Jongsuk who wanted to see Woobin bend for a woman in his lifetime.

"Why are you so sensitive? I can speak to my future sister-in-law anytime." He turned to Bella and smiled back, then gave her a long hug. "Sweet dreams, princess." He looked at his brother and walked into his bedroom. "Let's have a chat, hyung."

Woobin nodded then spoke to Bella. "You should get some sleep. We are going to have a press conference tomorrow after school, I don't want bags under your eyes." Woobin's goodnights were always so lovely.

...

"What now? Isn't it almost past your bedtime?" Woobin collapsed on his bed, his eyes scanning the messages in his phone.

"I don't think I can hold it in anymore."

"What the hell are you talking about? Hurry up and say what you want, I need rest."

"I like her. Your fiancee, Isabella. I really like her, hyung." Woobin dropped the phone to his side and looked at his brother with brows furrowed. He had the urge to punch him for some reason, as words mine scremed in his head.