Your Love's Not Real

Fool's Gold

Woo Bin climbed the creaky stairs to the fourth floor of the building. Apartment 08, the old woman informed him. He gripped the boquet of peonies in his hands. Would she like flowers? Would she accept flowers from him? Thoughts circled in his mind, thoughts unlikely of a man who kept things black and white. Staring back and forth at the peonies in his hand and the door of apartment 08 in front of him, Woo Bin knew the moment he stood face to face with Isabella his life would be unpredictable. That did not bode well for the heir for he enjoyed being in control, lately though bits and pieces of his picture perfect life were crumbling and he knew it. But to a man who believed in a glass half full mentality, he had to believe rebuilding would be an exciting adventure. Before approaching the final step towards Isabella's door, he believed seeing her would be enought to move on. Closure. Closure was what he needed. He knew he had to somehow face her and apologize, he wasn't completely heartless. His chest felt tight as he stood at arms length from the buzzer. Was an apology and a goodbye all he needed? Was it enough to move on, and continue his priveleged life  and leader of his family's empire? Would he be able to walk away from the woman who clouded his mind since the day she bumped into him and shattered her mobile device...? 

The door opened before he could press the button. Her eyes were like blue diamonds, and Woo Bin became speechless. She was hesitating, he could tell she cried, her eyes wet and slightly pink. Had he caused it? He held up the peonies, offering it like some kind of peace treaty. She stared at it, Woo Bin watched her every movement. Her eyes fell to the flower, had she noticed his suddent trembling hands. A feeling of discomfort grew inside the heir. He was nervous. No one ever made him nervous. "Isabella." Her eyes rose and her blush pink lips parted. Say something. Woo Bin hadn't a clue why he yearned to hear her voice again. "Why are you here? We have no business." She moved to shut the door, all Woo Bin could do was place the peonies between the frame and the door itself. The door slammed, with it the smashed stalk of the peonies. Woo Bin leaned against the door frame staring at the broken stalk on the ground. Was he the stalk, Bella the soft blue flowers? On the other side the young woman stared at the petals, crumbled on the ground. Bits of flower parts still hung from between the door and the door frame. Stephanie helped her pick it up, ordering her to sit down at the sofa. She moved slowly, doing as told, her body numb from seeing the man she briefly loved. A flood of emotions filled her all at once. She folded her legs and held them to her chest as she buried her face into her knees. He stood there in front of her and she broke down anyway. He said no word to her, arrived with one single gesture...flowers. She broke down anyway.  

"So you're him? The infamous heir of Seoul. Damn. My friend's got great taste. She's told me a lot about you. You are really good looking." Stephanie opened the door wider to let the man inside. She knew her roommate wouldn't want anything to do with him, however the intuitive woman knew a long talk between the once engaged partners was long over due. "She's in the living room, good luck."

Woo Bin walked to Bella, finding her dazed on the couch. "I should have...that is, I ah, how did you get to Jeju?" Bella stared back at him with a faint, forced smile. She explained how Kahi helped her, how she wasn't supposed to go near him for the sake of keeping his reputation in tact. She didn't care to be the scapegoat since she started the entire scandal. The words she buried inside her were finally coming out, knowing it was time to reveal everything to him. She owed him in a way considering she left unannounced. "I knew it was better for me to leave you, I didn't fit in your life. The pretending, the pretending of being a couple irritated you, I could tell. I was forcing you out of your comfort zone, I continuously tested your patience and sometimes, a lot of times, I didn't realize I was doing it. I knew you didn't love me back, I knew you wouldn't ever reciprocate any feelings I had for you, it was fake, it was a role we were both playing. Kahi would remind me whenever I had hopes things would turn out lovely, she would say, your love is not real, stop believing it could ever be." She laughed at herself, at her stupid thoughts. She grew embarassed for confessing, for a brief moment in her chaotic explanation, that she loved him. Only to realize and be reminded, the love was never real, Bella only wished it was. "I may have been slightly naive. Thinking you, a put-together intelligent man would ever...um..." she stopped herself from explaining more and embarssing herself further. "I knew we..I mean, I...I could never have a happy ending with you."

And there it was. The closure. The final confession of everything she held close to her heart, the single desire of wanting the heir to love her back, and accepting it would never happen. She felt better after, and she didn't bother to hear a response. She knew Woo Bin was the type to be practical while Bella kept her head in the clouds, always dreaming, imagining, and wishing for fairy tale stories to come true in her tragic reality. "I'm sorry for just ending the contract without your consent. However, I know you're doing really well with your father's company. So I would like to think it was a very good thing that I left. And besides, I don't belong in your world. I forced myself on you...basically." 

Woo Bin was even more confused than ever. He hadn't a clue with what he wanted from her now that he sat face to face with her, and heard her confession. Her confession made him feel really good, almost as if admitting to himself how he was right, like always. Although he knew she had feelings for him during the fake engagement, he didn't realize it was as deep as she explained it to be. While sitting at the pier and even a few times prior in Seoul, he knew he had similar feelings towards her. However the man's pride wouldn't allow him to admit it to the woman. He was a living heart donor after all... As if a switch clicked in his system, Woo Bin stood up and handed all the cash out of his wallet, along with the platinum credit card he carried with both his and her name. "Use this whenever you want, it has no limit. If you need more I can wire you at this account." He handed her his new business card, on the back was the joint account number. He took the phone from her hand and placed his number in it, in turn, he took hers. "I have some more business in Jeju." His tone changed. He was firm, and confident. He was emotionless... Bella looked up at him, taking the cards and cash with confusion. She tried saying she didn't need anything from him, and he shut her down with his tone of voice. "The coffee shop and bookstore, expecting your leadership in Seoul, has waited long enough. You have three days to pack. Do not run, I will find you." He walked out the door with an arrogant stride as if he just closed a business deal. Woo Bin informed his assistants of his return, and his fiancee's. They were to get the estate ready as well as the list of items he emailed the moment he stepped out of his Porsche and spoke to the flower shop owner. Woo Bin created a plan if he were to meet Isabella again. It was created over five nights, and modified at times when he had troubled sleeping. It was a 'what if?' contingency plan.

Bella did what any young woman, confused and irritated, would have done. She grabbed his ankle and laid flat on her stomach as he walked towards the door. "What the hell is wrong with you!? Why are you so heartless?! I just confessed to you, and I want this to end." Woo Bin tried his hardest to keep a straight face, it was difficult seeing a grown woman throwing a temper tantrum. It was easier for Woo Bin to order her around, he didn't know how to actually handle her confession, nor did he want to show anymore emotion than he had already prior to walking up the apartment building. It was easier for him to compartmentalize his emotions, in other words, be the world's only living heart donor in order to get through the current mess he put himself back into. "Isabella. You signed a contract, and you will abide by it. "

His adorable fiancee cried out as she let go of his ankles. "But your love's not real!"